Welcome to New Nauvoo

Author Topic: Cabin 2.0  (Read 16230 times)

Curelom

• MembersOnly
  • Thousand Year Egg Club
    • View Profile
Re: Cabin 2.0
« Reply #150 on: June 11, 2021, 08:45:07 pm »
Hi, Neighbors - are you missing any small items from around your yard, garage, or elsewhere accessible to pets? One of our other neighbors has put out this sign along with the loot from her cat's raids. Drop by & see if you recognize any of your stuff.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/oregon-woman-calls-out-her-pet-for-stealing-from-neighbors-with-my-cat-is-a-thief-yard-sign/ar-AAKXsuo?ocid=msedgdhp&pc=U531

The following users thanked this post: Sparky

Redd

• MembersOnly
  • when life gives you lemons, make grape juice!
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: June 16, 2021, 12:16:28 am »
Don't mind me. A heat wave is hitting Utah, Arizona  and New Mexico, so I am here with damp towels on my head and neck sitting in the cool of the A/C racking my brain for any cool supper ideas besides sandwiches.

My son is due home from work around midnight and he said he would bring me a big cup of ice(not only do I not have a swamp cooler I also do not have an ice maker). I need to break down and buy some new ice trays, it is just too hot to leave the house.

Oh! Do I spy melons here?  Cool towels, a/c and melons for snacking on. I may actually become sociable after this indulgence!

The following users thanked this post: Curelom

Curelom

• MembersOnly
  • Thousand Year Egg Club
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: June 16, 2021, 02:51:34 am »
The watermelons are for everyone, Redd. I know Punkin is guarding the fridge, but it's because she knows there is salmon in there. She won't mind sharing the fruit. I also got grapes, peaches, & honeydew melons. Since it's all cyber fruit, we won't run out no matter how much we eat, & none of it will spoil if we can't finish them (an unlikely prospect).

We're having a minor heat wave in the Bay Area section of the Cabin, but it won't be anything like in Arizona. I think it might be 60 degrees outside now (a little before midnight). I have the windows open, & I can hear the coyotes & owls.

You can make ice in any flexible plastic container, like tubs you save from cream cheese. deli salads, or ice cream. Leave a little expansion space when you fill them, or fill them only halfway to freeze quicker. It's easy to flex the plastic later to loosen the block of ice. Put the block in a plastic bag & whack it with a hammer if you want small pieces. Don't freeze ice in metal or glass because it won't give, & metal could get distorted or glass might even crack under the pressure. 

The following users thanked this post: Iggy, Redd

Redd

• MembersOnly
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: June 16, 2021, 11:03:49 pm »
Great idea on the ice!  I have some in my freezer now to use tomorrow.  I have started watering my garden when the sun starts to set so I get more water on the plants and as little evaporation as possible.

Death Valley, Ca, (which is usually very hot to begin with) registered at 130 F today, a record even for that place. Maybe I won't complain about my temps being at 105F.                                                           

Iggy

• MembersOnly
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: June 18, 2021, 01:20:14 am »
I brought Organic strawberries, peaches, green grapes, small gala apples, and celery. The organic at Fred Meyers was cheaper than the other - YEAH!!  Took me four trys to find fresh and not old. Scrape the root end of the celery them smell with your mouth open. What you smell/taste is exactly how it will taste. It shouldn't be bitter. Same goes for iceberg lettuce (gag- hate that stuff no matter how fresh it is).

We are in a water shortage - so no watering lawns, only edible gardens. Fireworks are banned in our city - if you are caught with any it is a $1,000.00 fine and jail time. It has been lightly raining nearly every night, then drying off just before noon. Oh and rumor has it that the home owners who rent to nightly vacationers and they bring fireworks & shoot them off, will also get hit with a humongous fine!!!

Redd, I will gladly share ice from my ice maker - it is running over! I take out about 4 cups in the morning and put it in my hanging Wave Petunia plants (2) the Midnight Star Petunia/ geranium pot and the huge fushia pot. 

Cold dinners - easy to make, macaroni salad with canned tuna or chicken or hot dogs. OR cooked macaroni w/alfredo sauce w/cooked-diced frozen chicken OR frozen cooked shrimp with alfredo sauce.

The following users thanked this post: Curelom, Redd

Curelom

• MembersOnly
  • Thousand Year Egg Club
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: June 23, 2021, 04:34:02 pm »
Critters just wanna be critters. 🐮

Several dozen cows escaped from a slaughterhouse near Los Angeles & enjoyed a short interlude of freedom before sheriffs on horseback rounded them up. One cow was shot after knocking people down, & another is still on the loose. If the stray shows up here, our critters will probably hide it & refuse to let us cooperate with the pursuers.

https://www.sfgate.com/local/article/california-LA-Cows-escape-slaughterhouse-run-amok-16268813.php

Redd

• MembersOnly
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: June 24, 2021, 01:06:01 am »
Iggy, I am sorry to hear  of such outlandish fines for owning fireworks. I get that it is California, but still the fine should be for setting them off, not owning them! And the homeowner being fined if company comes from out of state with some????  Grrr

As far as the cattle getting loose, all I can say is thank goodness Hick finished installing the barbed wire fence around our back yard. The cabin's cattle may be well behaved but my neighbor's herd isn't.

My washer gave out Monday. Thankfully I had two more in storage. ( I am something between a collector, a pack rat and a hoarder ::). My favorite neighborhood good ol' boy appliance fixer said the transmission on it was shot. He wound up taking one of my other machines home with him to tweek on and make sure it will work for me. He got it back to me this afternoon. One of the neighbor's sons came to help with the installation of the 'new' machine.  I can live with out a lot of stuff and creature comforts, but I refuse to live with out a washer.

I am heading to the family burial  plot on Saturday.  Hick and I are meeting my Dad and his wife and going down in their really nice big car. It will be his last trip to the cemetery due to his advancing age and health issues. It will be nice to see my Mom and my brother as well as grandparents, great grand parents and an uncle again.

Due to the day trip, I am trying to eat the food that is already in the fridge. So far so good. If I plan it well, I will not have to drop off left overs here ;D. I will be back very late Saturday night so I also need to make Sunday meals in advance. At least the washer got taken care of, one less stress to deal with.

I better get going. It is 11pm here and I still have a couple of items of housework to deal with  (it is just too hot to work around the house during the day.)

Iggy

• MembersOnly
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: June 25, 2021, 04:15:48 am »
Iggy, I am sorry to hear  of such outlandish fines for owning fireworks. Why in the world do you think it is outlandish? Anything less than that dollar amount would not, repeat NOT get the message across. My mistake, I meant to write that if you are caught setting any off you will be arrested, and if you are a visitor in a short term vacation home the owner of the home will be fined also as it is their duty to explain to their renter NO FIREWORKSI get that it is California, but still the fine should be for setting them off, not owning them! And the homeowner being fined if company company as in family or short term tenants as in 1 night to one/two weeks who are NOT familycomes from out of state with some????  Grrrr???? Growl all you want, but last Sept on we in Northwest Oregon went through hell on earth. My little neck of the woods was very fortunate as all we were hit with was several day and nights of thick smoke. We couldn't even have our in the window A/C on, hubby and I sat around in our knickers as it was 90+ in our home and breathed through our cPap machines. We kept our lights off too.Grrr  I live in Oregon, Southern Lincoln County, Central Oregon Coast I live right on the coast half way between the Washington and California boarder.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2020_Oregon_wildfires   Please read about the Oregon wildfires.

We had some college boys from Corvallis driving on Hwy 34 who threw out Moltov Cocktails from Tidewater on their way towards Waldport. Those volunteer firefighters who live along the Alsea River were the first responders who connected their own personal water brigade and put the homes and cars out then attacked the fires in the trees and the pastures. The neighbors in the fishing camps blockaded the hwy and caught the boys and had them hogtied for the sheriff deputies. Had this been 20 years ago those boys would have been drug into town after being strung behind horses - fortunately for them, the grandsons hogtied them, and waited for the deputies.

When I first moved here in 1978, it was a Good Ol Boy type of rule. There was a 32 yo man who got caught climbing into the window of an 11 yo girl by her daddy, uncle, the mayor and the city cop on duty.

This guy was found walking three days later naked along Hwy 34 into Alsea OR beaten to within an inch of his life. He was also castrated and the wounds cauterized. One of the men was a veterinarian and for that this pervert should be very grateful.

Over the years the Good Ol Boys have aged and passed away, their sons have aged and new people have moved into the area. The grandson's mothers and Grandmothers raised them to be better people.

Redd

• MembersOnly
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: June 29, 2021, 11:42:10 pm »
 :o :o WOW  :o :o

Curelom

• MembersOnly
  • Thousand Year Egg Club
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: July 01, 2021, 12:43:16 pm »
The Cabin is supposed to be a restful place where all can enjoy a few peaceful minutes. I'm wondering if there is a more appropriate place at Nauvoo (or maybe outside the town limits) for stories of violence or conflict.

Curelom

• MembersOnly
  • Thousand Year Egg Club
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: August 12, 2021, 10:57:10 pm »
Punkin, you are such a gourmet kitty. We just can't keep any snacks in stock around here.  ::)

Scruffydog

• MembersOnly
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: August 27, 2021, 06:11:49 am »
My two miniature Schnauzers love a wee bit watermelon as well!

Curelom

• MembersOnly
  • Thousand Year Egg Club
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: September 17, 2021, 06:45:49 pm »
If anyone is missing a pet, don't lose hope. This cat returned home a decade after going missing. It seems he had been living in a cemetery with a feral cat & they became BFF's. Someone called the humane society & both cats were taken in. The stray pet had a microchip & the owner was traced, & she decided to adopt her cat's friend so they could stay together for the rest of their lives. Get your critters chipped!

https://www.itv.com/news/wales/2021-09-17/the-miracle-reunion-between-a-cat-and-his-owner-after-12-years

Redd

• MembersOnly
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: October 12, 2021, 09:42:32 am »
Whoot! my DS#2 and his wife finally moved out of my place and into their own apt in the city. They have two dogs and two cats and even though they cleaned the room out very well, there is still lots of animal hair all over the place!  How I wish real life animals did not shed like our animals here in the cabin. Hick will have to get on his knees to get the baseboards cleaned up. After that we will move furniture in and make it into a nice parlor for visiting. I live in a single wide trailer and the room is just off the front door. It was designed to be the master bedroom with a shower and a small closet, but when my ward remodeled my house, they made the larger room at the opposite end of the house into the master, so the first room is a living room, the living room is being cleaned and converted to food storage/crafting. I will put in a screen to block off the bulk of the house from the parlor...that way if my house is not really tidy (and it never really is) you can't see any of it.
  Got to get ready for the Free Exchange that my stake puts on every year! So much to do.....

(Oh, and I left some raspberry coffee cake for everyone to enjoy)

Redd

• MembersOnly
    • View Profile
Re: Cabin 2.0 Free Exchange
« Reply #164 on: October 20, 2021, 10:30:52 pm »
Every year our Stake RS puts on a Free Exchange. It was a great success.  I was able to get two  shower chairs that are rated for plus sized people! One fits my walk in shower perfectly, the other (which is over sized) is now in my garden so I can sit safely and enjoy my container gardens, weed the area or just watch my little doggie! I love the Free Exchange we have each year.  We are able to help so many people in the  community. One missionary mom called her daughter's mission office and got permission to send a large box of nice dress and leisure clothes to them for the sisters there  to choose from. Another sister who is in the middle of chemotherapy and has lost all of her hair found wigs. Not only did she find a nice one to wear to church, she took the rest of them to her next chemo appointment for other women who needs them and, like her, can not afford them.

So much fun, I wish each of you could have been there.

The following users thanked this post: LMAshton, Sparky

* Calendar

October 2021
Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 [27] 28 29 30

No calendar events were found.

* Recent Posts

Re: The Saga chapter 2 by nitasmile