Welcome to New Nauvoo

Author Topic: Throw-together recipes  (Read 10108 times)

Sparky

• MembersOnly
    • View Profile
Re: Throw-together recipes
« Reply #60 on: April 01, 2021, 04:03:55 pm »
Curelom, Now I NEED a watermelon, and all of the other fruits you listed. YUM!

The following users thanked this post: Curelom

Curelom

• MembersOnly
  • Thousand Year Egg Club
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: April 05, 2021, 01:53:35 am »
I have a personal watermelon in my fridge now (another advantage - it's possible to put it in the fridge without cutting it up or rearranging everything). One of those is usually good for 2-3 servings for me. Today I ate two mandarin oranges & a grapefruit, so I'll have watermelon tomorrow.

« Last Edit: April 05, 2021, 01:57:46 am by Curelom »

The following users thanked this post: LMAshton, Sparky

Iggy

• MembersOnly
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: April 15, 2021, 11:02:38 pm »
I took a risk and bought a bag of Kroger Frozen Meatballs about two months ago. The bag fell out of my kitchen side-by-side onto my foot, guess it wanted me to cook it up. So I put ten of them into a 4" deep casserole dish, added the meatballs, 1/2 med yellow onion-chopped, 8 oz. jar of mushroom pieces drained and rinsed, 2 ribs celery -chopped, 1 jar of beef gravy, stirred everything all around and made sure the meatballs were well covered in gravy, put the lid on it.

Put in the microwave and nuked for 3 minutes on high, [my machine is 1200 watts] stirred, nuked for 3 minutes, stirred, nuked for 5 minutes.

After the second 3 minutes I put 2 cups of water in a quart pyrex measuring bowl and brought to a roiling boil. Put the meatballs back in the microwave for 5 minutes. To the boiling water I added an envelope package of Idahoan Buttery Mashed potatoes. For the vegetable - one can of whole beets that I then cut into slices sprinkled lemon crystals on, stirred it all up and nuked for 2.30 minutes. Hubby forgot that he doesn't like lemon on his beets. He ate everything and nearly licked the plate!  ;D ;D  .

The following users thanked this post: Roper, Sparky, Palmon

Roper

• Administrator
  • Thousand Year Egg Club
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: April 16, 2021, 09:16:25 am »
That sounds delicious! I like making meals similar to the way you described. It's getting harder to find ingredients which don't have stupid stuff added. Meat, for example. I've taken to buying fresh meat and poultry from the butcher and freezing it myself if I have to. I'm surprised how much frozen meat has a bunch of added salt and even sugar. Why does frozen chicken have to be injected with a "saline solution?"
Education is not preparation for life; education is life itself. - John Dewey

Palmon

• MembersOnly
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: April 16, 2021, 11:17:55 am »
That is a great question! I looked it up on Wiki. What struck me most was this sentence;
A serving of plumped chicken can contain between 200 mg and 500 mg of sodium per serving,[5][6] which is more than 25% of the USDA's recommended daily sodium intake.[7] Non-plumped chicken generally contains 45 to 70 mg per serving

To that, add the salt that most people add while they are cooking and at the table. A family member has meniere's disease, which requires a low salt diet - it never occurred to me that the chicken already came salted. Ham, yes. Chicken, no.

Thanks, Roper, for bringing this up!

The following users thanked this post: Roper, Sparky

Curelom

• MembersOnly
  • Thousand Year Egg Club
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: April 17, 2021, 12:52:05 am »
I used to keep a bag of frozen meatballs in the freezer "just in case." And for some reason I got out of the habit & haven't had a bag for awhile. Now I need to get one. They're so versatile. 😛

My watermelon is gone. I don't know where it went. 😕 I guess I need to replace it when I go to the store for the meatballs, because what is a fridge without a watermelon in it?

The following users thanked this post: Roper, Sparky, Palmon

dyany

• Administrator
  • Thousand Year Egg Club
    • View Profile
    • My blog
« Reply #66 on: April 17, 2021, 01:09:39 pm »
My 2nd favorite cooking show (which is weird that I actually have 2 because in general I hate cooking shows) (also, nothing beats Alton Brown) is now Mythical Kitchen on YouTube.
WARNING: do not watch this for kitchen tips in general and often not for recipes, because this guy (Josh) and his team are off the rails crazy. It soothes my ADHD and "I need something different" brain, though. :) And sometimes they actually hit on fun recipes and tips!

So some of their shows are 'Myth Munchers' where they test out various cooking adages to see if they are true. And they did one on fried chicken, and it was amazing, so we tried it, and it was THE BEST FRIED CHICKEN EVER. And best of all, it's technically a throw-together recipe, because it's pretty ding-dang inexact. Here's the tea:

Equipment needed:
2 decent sized bowls
A tray (I use a cooling rack in a half-sheet pan)
A big cast-iron skillet
TONGS--2 pair if you can
big zip-top bags

Ingredients:
Flour
Cornstarch (he doesn't use it, but I consider it a necessity because it makes the coating extra crispy)
Buttermilk
Tony Chachere's cajun seasoning (WARNING!!! This is superfine and WILL get in your lungs and WILL make you cough and sneeze like a mad dog. I recommend taking all possible safety measures, including a hazmat suit, to avoid this!)
oil for frying (I prefer peanut, but any with a decent smoke point will do)
Chicken. It's better whole with the skin on, but if all you can find is those gimongous chicken breasts, get boneless skinless instead so it will cook through!

1. Rub some Tony Chachere's on the chicken (not too much, as we're adding a lot to the coating, just enough to coat). Put chicken in ziploc bag as a dry rub in the fridge for at least a few hours.
2. When you are getting ready to coat, put a fair amount of buttermilk in one bowl, and the flour/cornstarch/seasoning in the other. Season it heavier than you would think because frying kills the spice flavor. The flour and cornstarch is going to vary, but keep them at a 1:1 ratio. I had about 1 cup each of flour and cornstarch mixed with a heaping tablespoon of Tony Chachere's.
3. Important: using tongs and having one for the buttermilk station and one for the flour station makes this tons easier and way less messy!
4. Now take the dry brined chicken and dip one in the buttermilk, then in the flour (press the flour on!), then back in the buttermilk, and then back in the flour, then put it on the rack. Do this with all the chicken and then put it in the fridge to rest for an hour.
5. Put about an inch of oil  in a cast iron skillet and heat to between 320-350. Keep it that hot throughout cooking if you can. 

Then just fry the chicken, a couple of minutes on each side.
Things they found on the show through testing were: 1. Buttermilk brine didn't work well. It made it too buttermilky and not so good. The dry brine was better. 2. double-breading worked way better. Way crunchier and tastier. 3. Letting the chicken sit for an hour after breading REALLY helped to make the texture even and stay on way better. 4. Cast iron pan-frying was a little more work than deep frying, but it tasted way better (presumably from the Maillard effect).

I'm trying it with chicken fried steak tonight, so I have to go start dry brining the cube steak. Wooooo!
When day comes we step out of the shade,
aflame and unafraid
The new dawn blooms as we free it
For there is always light,
if only we're brave enough to see it
If only we're brave enough to be it

The following users thanked this post: Roper, Sparky

Redd

• MembersOnly
  • when life gives you lemons, make grape juice!
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: May 12, 2021, 10:20:12 pm »
My garden over-floweth with asparagus! I have caned some and eaten many steamed, but I really could use ideas as to what to do with the rest.

The following users thanked this post: Roper

Curelom

• MembersOnly
  • Thousand Year Egg Club
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: May 12, 2021, 11:28:53 pm »
Use cooked asparagus instead of spinach in Joe's Special.

Mince it fine & put in rice pilaf or quinoa.

Use instead of zucchini in zucchini bread, & maybe make it savory instead of sweet. Or make a savory bread pudding with asparagus in it as a side dish, or add a protein ingredient & make it a brunch main to serve with fruit.

How about cooking & pickling some?

dyany

• Administrator
  • Thousand Year Egg Club
    • View Profile
    • My blog
« Reply #69 on: May 13, 2021, 12:21:45 am »
My favorite thing to do with asparagus is roast it with some olive oil, sea salt, and other herbs. It's excellent this way when paired with cherry tomatoes (usually halved), chicken tenderloins, mushrooms, zucchini slices, etc. There's a ton of sheet pan dinners that have variations on this.

I also like to marinate it in balsamic vinegar, olive oil, a few herbs, and then grill it (also often with mushrooms and zucchini).

One of my favorite low-carb meals goes like this (you can adapt if you don't need low carb): melt butter or ghee in a big cast iron skillet and brown chicken tenderloins. Remove the tenderloins, add a little more butter if needed, then add quartered mushrooms, quartered & thick sliced zucchini, and trimmed & cut into 2 inch pieces asparagus, and minced garlic. Sauté a couple of minutes, add a cup or two of heavy cream, some xanthan gum (this is a low-carb thickener, you can add flour before the cream and make a roux instead if you're not low-carb), salt and pepper to taste, about a teaspoon and a half of herbes de provence, and return the tenderloins to the pan. Cook for a few more minutes until things are at the texture you like and the sauce is thickened a bit.

Asparagus is one of the veggies I can still eat and I love it, so.... :)
When day comes we step out of the shade,
aflame and unafraid
The new dawn blooms as we free it
For there is always light,
if only we're brave enough to see it
If only we're brave enough to be it

The following users thanked this post: Curelom, Roper, Sparky

Curelom

• MembersOnly
  • Thousand Year Egg Club
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: September 30, 2021, 03:50:17 am »
Grill or steam it, depending on your preference, seasoning lightly or not at all. Chill it in the fridge. Then cut into pieces to put in a salad with greens, mushrooms, & colorful ingredients like grape tomatoes, shredded carrots, sliced radishes or hardboiled eggs. Asparagus is denser than typical salad greens so it makes a salad heartier. I think Italian dressing is the best fit for asparagus, but pick your own favorite.

Tender cooked asparagus cut thin can go in a sandwich. Add it to a BLT, use it as a garnish instead of lettuce with ham or turkey, or pair it with your choice of mushrooms, tomato & avocado slices, & sprouts on multi-grain or rye bread in a veggie sandwich. Cream cheese for a spread, or hummus for vegan.

Roper

• Administrator
  • Thousand Year Egg Club
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: September 30, 2021, 09:04:18 am »
I love everything about asparagus except for one thing: It make my urine smell weird. Doesn't stop me from eating asparagus, though. Thanks for the recipe ideas, Curelom.
Education is not preparation for life; education is life itself. - John Dewey

* Calendar

October 2021
Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 [27] 28 29 30

No calendar events were found.

* Recent Posts

Re: SP asked and I delivered by dyany