Welcome to New Nauvoo

Author Topic: The Last Shadow  (Read 199 times)

Sweet William

• View Profile
The Last Shadow
« on: November 17, 2021, 03:41:56 pm »
Those of you who were waiting for the final book that brings the Shadow and the Ender series into harmony can now enjoy the following.  I have read the first few chapters.  It is fascinating, as usual.

https://www.denofgeek.com/tv/the-last-shadow-a-divided-ender-saga-reunited/

Sweet William

• View Profile
Re: The Last Shadow (don't bother)
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2021, 01:59:19 pm »
FWIW:  I wouldn't bother.

Mr. Card Retcons the Enderverse so very, very badly, it's almost as if someone else (who really, really hates the first million books) wrote this travesty.

Logical conundrums abound.

And all of a sudden the descolada is "no big deal?"  And the Hive Queens were really good at heart and didn't mean anything bad when they destroyed millions of Chinese.

And Peter-Ender get disrespected so hard, I thought I was watching an episode of "Picard" or "Dr. Who" or a Star wars "sequel."  Just need a withered admiral around to yell "shut the *** up" at him.  Good thing it's a YA novel.

It. Was. Awful.

Sparky

• MembersOnly
    • View Profile
Re: The Last Shadow
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2021, 06:42:57 pm »
Sweet William, I totally agree. It's so sad that this series that started so wonderfully with the first two books (Ender's Game and Speaker for the Dead), and then had such interesting ideas in the next few (Children of the Mind and the aiua (intelligences before becoming spirits), ended up without any real conclusion in this book. Card was good with dialogue in so many of his books, thanks to his background in writing plays. But over time the dialogue just became more and more sarcastic and snippy and really just plain mean. Sadly, this book exemplifies all of the negative aspects of Card's writing, aspects that just continued to increase. For so very long OSC was my favorite author because he was able to bring such intriguing ideas into his writing. I guess he's run out of those ideas in these later years. Also, there was just too much excrement in this book.

The following users thanked this post: Sweet William

Taalcon

• MembersOnly
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2021, 08:09:34 pm »
I helped start the first substantial in-depth Ender's Game fan website on the internet, and the first dedicated online forum just for Ender fans. Contributed many, many entries to an online Ender Encyclopedia years before one would be officially published. Gave feedback to some of the pre-publication books, and have my name printed in more than one acknowledgement. I attended and has a big participatory role at the one and only EnderCon. Scott Card contributed a huge part of my love of the art of storytelling, and played a foundational role in a lot of key aspects of my young life.

So with that context, it was somewhat disappointing to me when, out of the blue when I discovered that this book that I had wanted (for, I guess decades?) was finally happening, was coming out NOW ... that my only response to seeing this long-hoped-for news was ... 'meh.'

Sweet William

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2021, 09:34:09 pm »
.... Also, there was just too much excrement in this book.

LOL Poor Sprout.

Sweet William

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2021, 09:42:03 pm »
... I attended and has a big participatory role at the one and only EnderCon. ...

That was a fun experience.  Papa Moose is an amazing fountain of knowledge regarding the Enderverse.

For me, the most memorable part was the Janis Ian concert.  I actually spoke with her briefly afterwards about an experience with the song "At Seventeen."

My older sister was not conventionally "beautiful," but always seemed so to me.  She really felt like the "ugly duckling" from the song.  But I could tell she just loved that song.  It came out when she was 17.  She'd crank it in the car as we'd drive around in the evenings sometimes.  We couldn't get "rock" songs on local radio, so we had to tune in KOMA at night (back when it was a pop/rock station).

After that song, she seemed to have much more self confidence and seemed to kind of take more charge of her life.  The song is really not a "you go, ugly ducklings" song.  It wasn't at all "rah, rah" in my mind.  But Ms. Ian said sometimes when you know that someone somewhere just understands, it gives you strength.  She was so correct.

What a blessing that conversation was for me.  I mentioned it at my sister's funeral.

The following users thanked this post: Taalcon

AndrewR

• MembersOnly
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2021, 02:46:41 am »
It would seem the reviewer in the link SW provided thought more of the book than those here.

It will probably be a while before I read it - I have a lot to get through already, and work has taken a very sharp turn in load.
Don't ask me, I only live here.
Nauvoodle since March 2005 #1412

Sparky

• MembersOnly
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2021, 06:27:34 pm »
Taalcon, were you Papa Moose?! (Making possibly unjustified inferences here from previous posts.) If so, wow! I always looked up to Papa Moose and all that he did. I was a member of Papa Moose's moderated forum for years (I was Sala), though I hadn't visited for these last few years.

I have loved Scott's writing since I first bumped into Ender's Game at BYU as a freshman. I have five whole shelves filled with his books in my library, mostly hardcover, many signed (in person). I think I have just about every single book he's ever published (I don't have Ainge).

I helped start the Leading Edge (science fiction and fantasy) magazine at BYU. (I still can't drop the "THE" from the title, though they did a while back.) In fact, I was the primary typist for the magazine for many years. The Leading Edge came into being as a result of a class that Scott was supposed to teach about science fiction, but then wasn't able to, so "Doc" Smith taught it instead, and from that came "the class that never died" because the Leading Edge continues to this day!

I've spent some time with Scott over the years, not a lot, but some. I have a huge amount of respect for him and, as I said, I have loved just about every book he's written, and many of his innumerable "Uncle Orson" articles. So, maybe I expected too much from The Last Shadow, but it was a disappointment.

Taalcon

• MembersOnly
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2021, 08:13:49 pm »
Nope! Not Papa Moose. Since I started at Hatrack YEARS ago, and on PWEB back when I was actually active there, I've always gone by Taalcon on OSC-related boards.

The following users thanked this post: Sparky

Sweet William

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2021, 11:16:57 pm »
I have five shelves, too.  :)  I had two copies of Saints, but I gave one away to a local library that is actually looking for books!

I was thrilled when I heard, because I had some books I wanted to donate, but I didn't want them just automatically put in the "Ten books for a dollar" bin.

Papa Moose was an awesome Catholic guy.  So, it's highly unlikely he participates here. :)

The following users thanked this post: Sparky, Taalcon

* Recent Topics

topic Current Events - US Politics Edition
[Politics]
Jason
December 07, 2021, 11:03:53 pm
topic COVID-19
[Covid-19]
Roper
December 07, 2021, 03:40:33 pm
topic How do I help?
[General Discussion]
Jason
December 05, 2021, 12:56:42 am
topic The Last Shadow
[Literature & Poetry]
Sweet William
December 01, 2021, 11:16:57 pm
topic Are you ready for the overturn of Roe vs Wade?
[Politics]
N3uroTypical
December 01, 2021, 05:26:32 am
topic Revised Christmas Songs
[General Discussion]
N3uroTypical
November 27, 2021, 08:59:59 pm
topic Way to keep bread soft longer (without adding chemicals)
[Cooking, Food, and Food Storage]
Sweet William
November 25, 2021, 10:54:08 am
topic Civil marriage in a meetinghouse
[Latter-day Saint Life]
N3uroTypical
November 23, 2021, 09:39:30 pm
topic Religious Freedom and Non-discrimination
[Doctrines & Scholarship]
Roper
November 16, 2021, 06:53:56 pm
topic The Saga chapter 2