Welcome to New Nauvoo

Author Topic: Understanding God's nature, understanding eternal families. (Homework help)  (Read 498 times)

Taalcon

• MembersOnly
    • View Profile
Honestly, the way it most impacts ME, at least right now, is seeing the act of sealing as a manifestation of hope that actively leads towards charity. Hope that everyone will end up fulfilling their potential, and charity, because we extend that - especially for the dead - to people we don't know, or who, based on what me might know, might not generally think they deserve it. We have to forgive, and the dead being offered the sealing are faced with the idea that they are wanted, and have been forgiven. That they are 'not cast off forever'. That other of God's children WANT them as part of the family.

While I won't say there's not MORE to it, that, there, is enough for me to find deep meaning in the ordinance and in Temple work. For my personal family, it's to say, "I want to have Joy with you forever," and receiving a message from God saying, "As long as you desire this, you will." And then extending that as far back and forward as you can. That is the Gospel for me.

The following users thanked this post: AndrewR, Jen, dyany, Roper, Sparky

AndrewR

• MembersOnly
    • View Profile
The closest thing we have is the role of a sealed couple, working as a covenant partnership continuing in the work of guiding eternal spirits towards achieving their potential.

This is all it can be. We continue progression - Eternal Progression. One Eternal Round.

But beyond that, what is the 'family unit' that will be 'together'?

All those in the Celestial Kingdom - the Family of God.

I believe our Mortal Connections will be important - they will be a part of what we did to return. But my children will not be coming to me for help, they will be going to Heavenly Father.
Don't ask me, I only live here.
Nauvoodle since March 2005 #1412

The following users thanked this post: Roper, Taalcon

Roper

• Administrator
  • Thousand Year Egg Club
    • View Profile
We have to forgive, and the dead being offered the sealing are faced with the idea that they are wanted, and have been forgiven. That they are 'not cast off forever'. That other of God's children WANT them as part of the family.

Beautifully said, Taalcon.

Recent events have prompted me to ponder the question (and I apologize for my imprecise use of language to convey the meaning): "What is parents' return on investment in their children?" I'll share some of the things I have found.

As recorded in "The Teachings of Lorenzo Snow," we have this: "Yes, in the next life we will have our wives, and our sons and daughters. If we do not get  them all at once, we will have them  some time.  You that are mourning about your children straying away will have your sons and your daughters. If you succeed in passing through these trials and afflictions,  you will, by the power of the Priesthood, work and labor, as the Son of God has, until you get all your sons and daughters in the path of exaltation and glory. This is just as sure as the sun rose this morning over yonder mountains. Therefore, mourn not because all your sons and daughters do not follow in the path that you have marked out to them, or give heed to your counsels. Inasmuch as we succeed in securing eternal glory, and stand as saviors, and as kings and priests to our God,  we will save our posterity." - Lorenzo Snow

Elder Bednar quoting James. E. Faust: "Perhaps in this life we are not given to fully understand how enduring the sealing cords of righteous parents are to their children. It may very well be that there are more helpful sources at work than we know. I believe there is a strong familial pull as the influence of beloved ancestors continues with us from the other side of the veil. - https://www.churchofjesuschrist.org/study/liahona/2014/03/faithful-parents-and-wayward-children-sustaining-hope-while-overcoming-misunderstanding?lang=eng

Sealing can never override agency. We understand that from the words of the ordinances--the promises are fully activated by our faithfulness. I don't know what it will exactly look like--my family being together forever. I believe relationships will have differences in meaning, however. My relationship with my wife and children will be different from my relationship with the saint who lived in Australia in the 1800s, even though we are sealed together in the family of our Heavenly Parents.
Education is not preparation for life; education is life itself. - John Dewey

The following users thanked this post: AndrewR

Jen

• MembersOnly
    • View Profile
The closest thing we have is the role of a sealed couple, working as a covenant partnership continuing in the work of guiding eternal spirits towards achieving their potential.

I believe our Mortal Connections will be important - they will be a part of what we did to return. But my children will not be coming to me for help, they will be going to Heavenly Father.

As my oldest has grown into adulthood, our relationship has largely shifted to a sweet friendship. I also love the boy she will likely marry next year more and more as I spend time with him. I love them as a couple and see them figuring things out together already. She often goes to Heavenly Father for help, and while she asks me for advice or information at times, it's not the prevalent aspect of our relationship. I don't know exactly what our Eternal roles will be in each other's lives, or why they will be important; I'm just really glad that they are.

The following users thanked this post: AndrewR, Roper, Sparky

Roper

• Administrator
  • Thousand Year Egg Club
    • View Profile
Okay...I know this is way out there:

What about our Heavenly Parents? Presumably, they are sealed to their parents. I wonder what their relationship is like? I mean, there better be some serious spirit-expanding work going on after this life if we're adopted into / sealed to eternal lineage before us...
Education is not preparation for life; education is life itself. - John Dewey

The following users thanked this post: AndrewR, Jen

* Recent Topics

topic Current Events - US Politics Edition
[Politics]
Jason
December 07, 2021, 11:03:53 pm
topic COVID-19
[Covid-19]
Roper
December 07, 2021, 03:40:33 pm
topic How do I help?
[General Discussion]
Jason
December 05, 2021, 12:56:42 am
topic The Last Shadow
[Literature & Poetry]
Sweet William
December 01, 2021, 11:16:57 pm
topic Are you ready for the overturn of Roe vs Wade?
[Politics]
N3uroTypical
December 01, 2021, 05:26:32 am
topic Revised Christmas Songs
[General Discussion]
N3uroTypical
November 27, 2021, 08:59:59 pm
topic Way to keep bread soft longer (without adding chemicals)
[Cooking, Food, and Food Storage]
Sweet William
November 25, 2021, 10:54:08 am
topic Civil marriage in a meetinghouse
[Latter-day Saint Life]
N3uroTypical
November 23, 2021, 09:39:30 pm
topic Religious Freedom and Non-discrimination
[Doctrines & Scholarship]
Roper
November 16, 2021, 06:53:56 pm
topic The Saga chapter 2