Welcome to New Nauvoo

Author Topic: The Party of Lincoln  (Read 128 times)

Curelom

• MembersOnly
  • Thousand Year Egg Club
    • View Profile
The Party of Lincoln
« on: October 13, 2021, 07:58:20 pm »
Republicans are fond of flaunting their past as the “party of Lincoln.” Sadly it is the past for too many. There are people who lean conservative & believe in some of the basic GOP principles but affiliate with other parties or none because they are queasy about a party whose prominent figures weaponize race, religion, birthplace, cultural differences (& now even public & personal health), exploit people’s fears of those who are “different,” & consort with xenophobes, racists, & neo-Nazis – or sit silently while others in the party do those things.

Here are two stories that make me miss the party of Lincoln & lament how much of it has fallen into the cesspool where the hate-peddlers dwell.

Narrator #1 was a child of Korean immigrants. In December 1941, she lived in Whittier, a Los Angeles suburb. Immigrants & minorities had long been targets of good old all-American bigotry, which I guess we all hoped we were overcoming when the 2016 election happened & revealed that it was alive & well. We found that for many in high places, tolerance was only skin-deep & only for as long as they thought the mics were on. Just after Japan’s attack on Pearl Harbor, this lady was in her regular grocery store in Whittier & people gave her hateful looks, cursed & called her the J-word. The store owner told the bigots, “Shame on you. You’ve known Mrs. Lee for years. You know she isn’t Japanese, but even if she were, she had nothing to do with what happened at Pearl Harbor.” The owner was Hannah Nixon, mother of a young adult who would later become Republican President Richard Nixon.

Narrator #2 was born in Illinois (“Land of Lincoln”) & played college football. The team made a trip to the town where his family lived to play against a local school. At the hotel, the manager said he had room for all except “your two colored boys.” The coach didn’t like that & suggested the whole team sleep on the bus. The hometown kid said he’d take the black kids to his family’s house & explain that there hadn’t been hotel space for everyone. The coach was dubious, but when they got there, his mother said only, “Well, come on in.” (I don't know every detail, but it would have been nice if the white players had refused to stay at the hotel).

In the 1930s, his town still had “No dogs or Irish allowed” signs, & the theater had white & black seating. One of his brother’s best friends was black, & the brother would sit with him in the balcony “colored section” when they went to a movie. On a business trip, his father was once told by a hotel clerk, “You’ll like it here – we don’t allow Jews.” Dad replied, “I’m Catholic, & if you won’t take Jews, someday you won’t take me either,” then picked up his bag, left, & slept in his car in a blizzard.

Many years later, Narrator #2 became the GOP presidential nominee. In his acceptance speech, Ronald Reagan said, “In the party of Lincoln there is no room for intolerance and not even a small corner for anti-Semitism or bigotry of any kind. Many people are welcome in our house, but not the bigots.”

Both major parties have big flaws & have turned off moderates who see too much extremism in both. I wish for a party that represents fiscal responsibility, personal accountability, support for all the First Amendment rights & not just some, respect for the separation of powers & not just when it favors their party agenda, an active role in the global community we all live in, care for the environment, & recognition that bias based on race, ethnicity, national origin, religion, sex, or disability is un-American. No such party exists in America, at least not in the secular realm, so I’m one of the non-partisans who feel like outcasts from both major parties.

The following users thanked this post: Jen, Roper

Roper

• Administrator
  • Thousand Year Egg Club
    • View Profile
Re: The Party of Lincoln
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2021, 09:37:03 pm »
I wish for a party that represents fiscal responsibility, personal accountability, support for all the First Amendment rights & not just some, respect for the separation of powers & not just when it favors their party agenda, an active role in the global community we all live in, care for the environment, & recognition that bias based on race, ethnicity, national origin, religion, sex, or disability is un-American. No such party exists in America, at least not in the secular realm, so I’m one of the non-partisans who feel like outcasts from both major parties.
Amen. Maybe we could make the Nauvoo party  ;)
Education is not preparation for life; education is life itself. - John Dewey

The following users thanked this post: Jen, Curelom, dyany

dyany

• Administrator
  • Thousand Year Egg Club
    • View Profile
    • My blog
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2021, 02:49:35 pm »
I’m one of the non-partisans who feel like outcasts from both major parties.

I left all political parties in 2016. I am not an outcast. I am delighted to be a conscientious objector. I have never had a moment's regret or felt outcast in the least, even in the face of local haters for whom the R is their true religion.
When day comes we step out of the shade,
aflame and unafraid
The new dawn blooms as we free it
For there is always light,
if only we're brave enough to see it
If only we're brave enough to be it

Jen

• MembersOnly
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2021, 09:29:54 pm »
Maybe I'm being pessimistic, but I can see the writing on the wall. They'll get away with everything, he'll win (or "win") the election in '24, and the country will never be the same.

* Calendar

October 2021
Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 [27] 28 29 30

No calendar events were found.

* Recent Posts

Re: The Saga chapter 2 by Iggy
[Today at 09:48:48 pm]