Welcome to New Nauvoo

Author Topic: COVID-19  (Read 23535 times)

Jason

• MembersOnly
    • View Profile
Re: COVID-19
« Reply #555 on: October 07, 2021, 01:28:39 pm »
I just spent a while reading through nearly 1000 comments from the Gateway Pundit about a patient who was at one of my hospitals. The commenters seem to live in an alternate universe. They are very delusional. (None of this information is insider information, as I am not involved in the care of this patient, have not accessed their records, or spoken with those who have.)

Here is the story. A vocal anti-vaccination advocate got sick with Covid-19 and his oxygen levels fell very low. His friends and someone who claims to be a nurse and his medical power of attorney tried treating him with ivermectin for several days at home. They say he "perked up", but his oxygen levels kept getting worse. That "nurse" wrote "do not intubate, no remdesivir". Because he was doing worse his friends called the paramedics to bring him to a small, local hospital to get his oxygen levels up. His oxygen levels didn't go up very well with supplemental oxygen or CPAP. They intubated him. His oxygen levels improved. They transferred him to a higher acuity hospital that takes care of Covid-19 patients and began trying to save his life. The "nurse" shows up, cannot provide any documentation that she is a medical power of attorney for the patient, but demands that they extubate him, get his oxygen levels up, and send him home.

Delusion: A vocal anti-vaccine advocate is poisoned by the government in some secret manner that causes his oxygen levels to fall and is sent to be executed by ventilator at the hospital.
Reality: Someone who has not been vaccinated got severely ill with Covid-19 at the height of the delta wave.

Delusion: Writing "Do not intubate, no Remdesivir" on someone's chest should be followed by health care professionals.
Reality: That would be ethically wrong. A murderer could be sure that no rescue efforts would be made by writing similar things on the chest of the person they murdered. There has to be something more.

Delusion: An unrelated person claims to be the medical power of attorney without any documentation and wants to do things that cause harm.
Reality: There is a clear order of who gets to make decisions for a patient. First is the patient. The medical power of attorney cannot override the actual patient. If the patient is unconscious, but has made his/her wishes known, then those wishes are honored. There is not mention of this in the article, but it is quite possible that the patient in this story verbally told EMS and the hospital to do what it took to keep him alive. Being faced with actual death changes a lot of things. Next in line is the patient's written requests. Next is a medical power of attorney, who is supposed to act as the patient would want them to act. Next is spouse, then adult children, then parents, then other relatives. If there are conflicts and doubts about who can make decisions for an incapacitated person, the patient is kept alive as the ethics committee evaluates the claims.

Delusion: A medical power of attorney has the right to dictate the exact treatment they want to the hospital, doctors, and nurses to pursue.
Reality: Doctors and medical professionals discuss the options available based on the best evidence they have. But they cannot be forced to provide care that they know will result in harm.

Delusion: Putting him on the ventilator made his lungs worse and was meant to kill him.
Reality: His lungs were so heavily damaged from Covid-19 that supplemental oxygen and CPAP were not enough to keep his oxygen levels up. Oxygen levels did come up on the ventilator.

Delusion: Vaccines and ventilators are the cause of all these deaths form Covid-19. Hospitals are the new gas chambers to get rid of political dissidents.
Reality: The coronavirus causes Covid-19. Just because people die while on a ventilator does not mean that the ventilator was the cause of the death. The ventilator is the last ditch effort to keep them alive.

Delusion: Storming the hospital will save this man's life. Making threats to string up, execute, and otherwise kill the doctors, nurses, and administrators will change reality and make this person heal from a deadly disease.
Reality: We have been on a modified lock-down for weeks. There were 5-10 comments in the comments section calling for killing the medical professionals. Hundreds more that were simply mean and vulgar, threatened lawsuits, and trials for crimes against humanity.

Delusion: Ivermectin and hydroxychloroquine are miracles drugs that will save this person's life.
Reality: So far, no good studies have shown they improve the course of Covid-19. He was even given ivermectin at home for several days with the result that he kept getting worse.

Delusions: Hospitals intubate so that they can make lots of money.
Reality: Shutting down our ORs has cost us far more money than caring for a few extra ICU patients would ever bring in.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2021, 01:41:35 pm by Jason »

The following users thanked this post: Jen, Curelom, Iggy, Roper, Sparky, Hobbes, Taalcon

Sparky

• MembersOnly
    • View Profile
« Reply #556 on: October 07, 2021, 06:15:38 pm »
Wow. I didn't realize that some of these delusions existed among people. We are certainly in a sad state of affairs.

The following users thanked this post: Curelom, Roper

Jana at Jade House

• MembersOnly
  • Express of All She Surveys
    • View Profile
« Reply #557 on: October 08, 2021, 07:18:28 am »
A group of well meaning middle age singles including one with Cystic Fibrosis and one who travels with a carer, went to Albania for a service project.  While there some came down with colds, and were tested as negative.   The entire group is back in country and, as colds worsened, retested.  Everyone has the virus, including the sister who brought her carer who is not vaccinated.   So quarantine for all.   They are all very very glad they could fly back and have dutch speaking health care  ON the other hand a high percent of the missionaries in Albania all are positive including the senior missionaries who are now in the hospital.

Who thought this was a wonderful opportunity to serve in a country that is a health desert?  with unvaccinated people?

The not vaccinated carer is in quarantine and will be tested soon (why the wait?) The other carers now have to get PPE to tend the sister at home.  Gosh.

The service project was wonderful I hear, but really?

The following users thanked this post: Curelom, Roper

pnr

• MembersOnly
    • View Profile
« Reply #558 on: October 08, 2021, 08:29:12 am »
The wait is likely because there are sometimes negative tests, when you test too early.   It takes a few days for most people to get enough virus to show up in the test (the different kinds of tests have different sensitivity too).
Nauvoo 1270, Feb 2005

The following users thanked this post: Roper

Curelom

• MembersOnly
  • Thousand Year Egg Club
    • View Profile
« Reply #559 on: October 10, 2021, 12:46:30 am »
A group of well meaning middle age singles including one with Cystic Fibrosis and one who travels with a carer, went to Albania for a service project.... Who thought this was a wonderful opportunity to serve in a country that is a health desert?  with unvaccinated people?.... The service project was wonderful I hear, but really?
Service is a wonderful & glorious thing. I think we all agree. Heavenly Father wants us to serve, our Savior wants us to serve, & the better impulses in most humans want us to serve. But how do we serve if we 1) get so sick or worn out that we can't serve anymore, & 2) get so sick & worn out that other people have to come & serve us who might otherwise be serving people with real needs?

We're all tired of hearing about how we need to put on our own oxygen mask before trying to help anyone else. So let's replace it with one that I recently heard: Don't set yourself on fire to keep someone else warm. And top it off with scripture, which tops any other slogans or axioms.

Mosiah 4:27 - "And see that all these things are done in wisdom and order; for it is not requisite that a man should run faster than he has strength... all things must be done in order."

D&C 10:4 - "Do not run faster or labor more than you have strength and means provided... "

The following users thanked this post: Roper, Sparky

Curelom

• MembersOnly
  • Thousand Year Egg Club
    • View Profile
« Reply #560 on: October 10, 2021, 01:06:16 am »
There is an organism with tentacles in the COVID vaccines, which moves around & even appears to be sentient, & it is being introduced into millions of unsuspecting people. It's part of a conspiracy to take over our minds & thoughts through 5G chips. The Pope may be involved in this whole thing.

Wow, that's bizarre. :o  How do you know?

My state legislator said so. And he knows because he went to MIT. And now the governor is muzzling him!!! Sheesh. What is this world coming to when you can't even trust your governor? >:(

https://www.nhpr.org/nh-news/2021-10-04/ken-weyler-misinformation-covid

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics/gop-rep-who-shared-claims-of-tentacled-creatures-in-covid-vaccines-quits-panels/ar-AAPjgcX?ocid=msedgntp

The following users thanked this post: Scruffydog, Roper

Sparky

• MembersOnly
    • View Profile
« Reply #561 on: October 16, 2021, 08:50:39 pm »
I just got diagnosed with Covid today. I thought I just had my annoying yearly cold, but that wasn't so. Hopefully it will continue to just be like an annoying little cold. I was vaccinated, so I'm hopeful. But my favorite cousin passed away on Thursday from Covid, and it was just an annoying little cold for him, until it wasn't. To say that I am quite anxious is an understatement. I know I probably shouldn't be worried, but I am. I have diabetes and am fat, two strikes against me. Please keep me in your thoughts and prayers.

The following users thanked this post: LMAshton, Jen, Jana at Jade House, Roper, Palmon, Taalcon

Curelom

• MembersOnly
  • Thousand Year Egg Club
    • View Profile
« Reply #562 on: October 16, 2021, 11:00:47 pm »
Awww, I'm so sorry to hear that, Sparky. ☹️ I know you've been diligent about your health, so this just shows how anyone can be infected even when they take reasonable precautions. You'll be in my prayers for a quick & uneventful recovery.

Palmon

• MembersOnly
    • View Profile
« Reply #563 on: October 17, 2021, 08:19:27 am »
Sparky, I am really sorry to hear this. I pray that your symptoms will remain mild. Try to get an infusion of the monoclonal antibodies - you have a week to 10 days after the symptoms first appear for it to be effective.  Good luck! You are in our prayers.

pnr

• MembersOnly
    • View Profile
« Reply #564 on: October 17, 2021, 01:14:55 pm »
If you haven't had it more than 4 days, get the antibodies infusion (Regeneron).  That can make a huge difference in severity.   But  if you have had it a while make sure the drs considering the Regeneron know that as it can add that reaction to your own th won't help if your antibody response is too far along already.
Nauvoo 1270, Feb 2005

The following users thanked this post: Jen, Sparky

Jason

• MembersOnly
    • View Profile
« Reply #565 on: October 18, 2021, 12:36:26 am »
I am pretty confident we are all going to face the same ordeal as the virus become endemic. We will simply be waiting to see how our bodies react. Fortunately, most people will survive, especially if vaccinated.

As the sunshine gets less, preemptively taking vitamin D supplements might be worthwhile. Zinc might also be useful. It takes a few weeks for the beneficial effects to be shown, so start before getting sick. Starting an exercise regiment and healthier eating wouldn't be a bad idea, even if just a little improvement.

The following users thanked this post: Sparky

Curelom

• MembersOnly
  • Thousand Year Egg Club
    • View Profile
« Reply #566 on: October 18, 2021, 02:50:52 pm »
🚩 🚩 🚩  Essential health news just in from Florida, the land of Mar-A-Lago, Ron De Santis, & Joseph Ladapo. And now, the land of Iguanas in the Toilet Bowls (not linking, to avoid the distraction -- just do a Google search).

Everyone is AT risk & everyone IS a risk. 😭 Each of us is a potential Typhoid Mary or Typhoid Gary. If you're infected, you're infectious. If you haven't been vaxxed, you could have the plague & not yet know. If you have been vaxxed, you could have a breakthrough case & not yet know. If you recently got vaxxed but it hasn't fully taken effect, you could get it & not know for awhile. And now, if you have just been vaccinated, you have the dreaded 👉👉👉 VACCINE PLAGUE 👈👈👈  which you can spread to totally innocent, unsuspecting victims! 😭

You see, the COVID vaccines have cooties of their own (which is one reason all them freedom-loving folk are refusing to get it), harmful effects that you can pass on to people you interact with. This is called COOTIE SHEDDING . Not sure if masks prevent it, or if the cooties leap from your skin, hair, eyes, etc., so that nothing can stop them except a full encapsulated hazmat suit (or a few layers of Hefty garbage bags from head to toe). So you need to quarantine yourself for 30 days after each shot to protect the public health. Who would have guessed that such an insidious, evil, subversive thing would be built right into a vaccine that we are told is for our own good? Eeeeeek! 😲 😲 😲

https://www.sfgate.com/news/article/Miami-school-says-vaccinated-students-must-stay-16541747.php
« Last Edit: October 20, 2021, 12:28:24 am by Curelom »

dyany

• Administrator
  • Thousand Year Egg Club
    • View Profile
    • My blog
« Reply #567 on: October 19, 2021, 11:54:59 pm »
Curelom:
When day comes we step out of the shade,
aflame and unafraid
The new dawn blooms as we free it
For there is always light,
if only we're brave enough to see it
If only we're brave enough to be it

The following users thanked this post: LMAshton, Iggy

Curelom

• MembersOnly
  • Thousand Year Egg Club
    • View Profile
« Reply #568 on: October 20, 2021, 12:21:56 am »
Dyany, one of our Cabin kitty-cats had the same reaction.

And so did one of our neighbors in the forest.

The following users thanked this post: LMAshton, Iggy

* Calendar

October 2021
Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 [27] 28 29 30

No calendar events were found.

* Recent Posts

Re: SP asked and I delivered by Roper