Welcome to New Nauvoo

Author Topic: COVID-19  (Read 23553 times)

N3uroTypical

• MembersOnly
    • View Profile
Re: COVID-19
« Reply #510 on: September 20, 2021, 10:30:19 am »
I have been digging into why LDS might try to claim religious exemption for various vaccine mandates.

So, I've been open about being pro-covid vax.  I and family all got vaccinated the week we were eligible.  I actually signed up early to be part of the Moderna phase III trial.

That said, I have another reason:  Even though all my kids had all their shots growing up, whenever this or that school asked us for vaccination records, we'd claim the religious exemption.   Not because we hadn't gotten them their shots, we had.  We just wanted to share as little personal information as possible with government entities.  The religious exemption was a magic "go away and leave us alone" wand that always put an end to the requests for intrusive bureaucratic paperwork.

I'm guessing at least some of the LDS wanting to claim religious exemption now, are thinking the same thing.  "It's none of your business, I do not recognize or respect your authority over me, leave me alone, stop asking."

I created this meme way last March - I think it aged rather well.
What-about-ism is pointless. I like to think most people's responses to such arguments would be, "Yup. That person, who happened to wear the same political jersey I do/did, was totally wrong on that, too."
-Taalcon

The following users thanked this post: Roper, Sweet William

Sparky

• MembersOnly
    • View Profile
« Reply #511 on: September 20, 2021, 06:18:06 pm »
N3uroTypical, Thanks for sharing why you ask for a religious exemption. I would have never considered that as a reason before you shared it.

The following users thanked this post: Roper

Curelom

• MembersOnly
  • Thousand Year Egg Club
    • View Profile
« Reply #512 on: September 22, 2021, 05:30:21 am »
Alabama, Georgia, & Texas accounted for a third of last week’s COVID deaths in the U.S. They account for 13.34% of the country’s population,

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/these-three-states-account-for-a-third-of-last-week-s-covid-deaths/ar-AAOGmAC?ocid=msedgntp

A Texas restaurant has put bare faces into its dress code. One couple was 86ed because they wanted to protect their immunocompromised infant. Texas is deep into protecting the unborn, but what about the already born?

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/texas-couple-was-asked-to-leave-restaurant-for-wearing-face-masks-to-protect-their-immunocompromised-infant/ar-AAOFEf9?ocid=msedgntp

“I know better”… so my kids are now orphans. This one was a registered nurse. Near the end she said, “This is horrible.” The whole family was anti. Her mother was in the same hospital in a medically induced coma with COVID, & the staff woke her to tell her of the death of her daughter whom she hadn’t even known was ill. Her brother went for his first shot the day after his sister passed. And he’s had to quit work to take care of the special-needs twins that she left motherless.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/health/medical/unvaxxed-nurse-dies-of-covid-19-leaving-behind-2-special-needs-kids/ar-AAOFN3X?ocid=msedgntp

She compared COVID to indigestion & kept wishing she would get it to prove the alarmists & vax pushers & mask Nazis wrong. Now she’s asking people to pray for her. Folks, PLEASE be careful what you wish for.

https://www.ibtimes.com/trump-supporter-who-begged-have-covid-19-suffers-brutal-symptoms-after-testing-3299283

“They are eternally grateful to the staff at Community Regional Medical Center in Fresno” – who were stuck treating them while people were having heart attacks or getting spinal injuries in car wrecks.

https://www.yourcentralvalley.com/life-health/health/coronavirus/i-wish-id-gotten-vaccinated-twin-brothers-suffer-long-recovery-from-covid-19/

“I was an idiot.” “When it’s too late, it’s too late.” “I thought I was going to die.”

https://www.sfgate.com/nation/article/regret-COVID-unvaccinated-hospital-coronavirus-16378317.php

The mayor of San Francisco was a nitwit too, in the first major U.S. city to “lock down” in 2020, on her orders. It’s consistently been among the most COVID-safe places in the country because people are diligent about masks & distancing, & 81% of residents over age 12 are fully vaxxed. She got caught on camera barefaced, singing, dancing, & chatting at a nightclub, but instead of apologizing & promising to be a better example, she rationalized & griped about the “fun police.” Now she’s a news story everywhere. Poor showing, Madame Mayor, & it isn’t true that any publicity is good publicity.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/san-francisco-mayor-london-breed-under-fire-for-going-maskless-attacks-fun-police/ar-AAOGjwc?ocid=uxbndlbing

https://www.staradvertiser.com/2021/09/17/breaking-news/san-francisco-mayor-breaks-strict-health-order-partying-maskless-at-nightclub/

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-10001951/Outrage-maskless-hypocritical-San-Fran-Mayor-BLM-founder-party-nightclub.html

The following users thanked this post: Roper

Taalcon

• MembersOnly
    • View Profile
« Reply #513 on: September 22, 2021, 12:14:10 pm »
First Presidency reinstating Masks for everyone in all Temples, effective immediately:
https://newsroom.churchofjesuschrist.org/article/first-presidency-temple-masks-letter

Dear Brothers and Sisters:

We are grateful that in recent months, some level of ordinance work has resumed in every temple. Our desire is to keep temples open.

As cases of COVID-19 increase in many areas, we want to do everything possible to allow temples to remain open. Therefore, effective immediately, all temple patrons and workers are asked to wear face masks at all times while in the temple. These safety protocols are temporary, based on COVID-19 conditions, and will be rescinded as soon as circumstances permit.

Our urging Church members to be vaccinated and to protect themselves and others from the spread of disease has precedent. Prior First Presidencies shared similar messages in 1900 about smallpox and in 1957 regarding polio. Please do all you can to protect yourself and others so the work of the Lord on both sides of the veil can move forward.

Sincerely yours,

Russell M. Nelson
Dallin H. Oaks
Henry B. Eyring

The following users thanked this post: dyany, Roper, Sweet William

N3uroTypical

• MembersOnly
    • View Profile
« Reply #514 on: September 22, 2021, 03:41:03 pm »
A Texas restaurant has put bare faces into its dress code. One couple was 86ed because they wanted to protect their immunocompromised infant. Texas is deep into protecting the unborn, but what about the already born?

Shame on whoever came up with that nasty, horrible, disgusting, clueless comparison.

Shame on them for not understanding the difference between the legalized murder of unborn children, and a restaurant putting a restriction on who can and can't come into their store.

The utter cluelessness!

COVID has killed roughly ~300k year to date in the US.  When I started this post, there have been 625,894 abortions in the US this year.    As I'm about to click 'post', that number is now 625,903.

Can we maybe just think for a second about everything we all have individually and collectively done to prevent covid deaths, and compare that with the scant fractions of hardly anything being done to protect the lives of the unborn, who are dying at roughly twice the rate?

Ugh.  What a foul taste I have in my mouth now.   

UGH!
What-about-ism is pointless. I like to think most people's responses to such arguments would be, "Yup. That person, who happened to wear the same political jersey I do/did, was totally wrong on that, too."
-Taalcon

The following users thanked this post: Sweet William

Roper

• Administrator
  • Thousand Year Egg Club
    • View Profile
« Reply #515 on: September 22, 2021, 08:17:28 pm »
I'm guessing at least some of the LDS wanting to claim religious exemption now, are thinking the same thing.  "It's none of your business, I do not recognize or respect your authority over me, leave me alone, stop asking."

If you're on your own property, then sure. If you're in a public space, then the government has the right and the duty to protect the public good.

Plus, there's section 134, specifically verses 1 and 5.
Education is not preparation for life; education is life itself. - John Dewey

The following users thanked this post: LMAshton

Roper

• Administrator
  • Thousand Year Egg Club
    • View Profile
« Reply #516 on: September 22, 2021, 08:42:22 pm »
Shame on whoever came up with that nasty, horrible, disgusting, clueless comparison.

Shame on them for not understanding the difference between the legalized murder of unborn children, and a restaurant putting a restriction on who can and can't come into their store.

Well, that's not a fair or accurate comparison, either.

My conviction is that a human child developing in utero is entitled to the same legal protection as a human child in any post-birth stage of development, and that if parents can be legally compelled to support a developing child after birth, then they can be legally compelled to support a developing child before birth. In other words, I'm with you in opposition to elective abortion, for maybe slightly different reasons.

But come on, NT, you used intentionally inflammatory language, "legalized murder" and intentionally innocuous language "put a restriction on who can and can't come into their store." It is so much more than that. If you run a business which serves the public, you can't deny service to individuals for arbitrary means. That's established in legal precedent. And this instance was more than arbitrary--it was politically motivated and discriminatory.

Conservatives rant and scream about "protecting children" when it comes to the politics of abortion, but when it comes to providing flu vaccines for immigrant children being held at the border, or providing public health services for children in poverty, or requiring shot records to participate in public schools, then the "protecting children" narrative conveniently fades away and is replaced with political dogma. If people are not advocates for children in EVERY stage of development, then I don't believe they're sincere about "protecting children" when they go all ballistic over abortion. When it gets to that point, I'm more inclined to consider the feminist response that most conservative arguments regarding abortion are really about exercising control over women's bodies.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2021, 09:07:55 pm by Roper »

The following users thanked this post: Jen, Jana at Jade House, Iggy

Sweet William

• View Profile
« Reply #517 on: September 22, 2021, 09:41:12 pm »
First Presidency reinstating Masks for everyone in all Temples, effective immediately:
https://newsroom.churchofjesuschrist.org/article/first-presidency-temple-masks-letter

Dear Brothers and Sisters:

We are grateful that in recent months, some level of ordinance work has resumed in every temple. Our desire is to keep temples open.

As cases of COVID-19 increase in many areas, we want to do everything possible to allow temples to remain open. Therefore, effective immediately, all temple patrons and workers are asked to wear face masks at all times while in the temple. These safety protocols are temporary, based on COVID-19 conditions, and will be rescinded as soon as circumstances permit.

Our urging Church members to be vaccinated and to protect themselves and others from the spread of disease has precedent. Prior First Presidencies shared similar messages in 1900 about smallpox and in 1957 regarding polio. Please do all you can to protect yourself and others so the work of the Lord on both sides of the veil can move forward.

Sincerely yours,

Russell M. Nelson
Dallin H. Oaks
Henry B. Eyring

I hope it helps, and I hope it makes the temple workers feel safer.  I was able to wear a mask the entire time I was there a couple of weeks ago, when it wasn't required.  I have major claustrophobia issues.  I think I am receiving Divine help in this area as it relates to my temple and sacrament meeting attendance.  Not so much with my "Walmart" attendance.  ;)

The following users thanked this post: Jen, Roper, Taalcon

Curelom

• MembersOnly
  • Thousand Year Egg Club
    • View Profile
« Reply #518 on: September 22, 2021, 10:17:27 pm »
Shame on whoever came up with that nasty, horrible, disgusting, clueless comparison....

The utter cluelessness!.... 

Ugh.  What a foul taste I have in my mouth now.   

UGH!

I came up with that comparison that you are calling shame, disgusting, clueless, etc. on, & I stand by that comparison. So shame on Curelom.

Texas & states like unto it (yeah, I’m looking at you, FL, GA, et al) preen & gloat about being pro-life, but people of all ages are dropping right & left from COVID because of official hindrances thrown by their own governors in the way of mask mandates or anything that would slow or stop the spread of the virus. Because... you got it, "freedom of choice." We all agree that a fetus is a living person (yes, even me, who you believe supports legalized murder of innocent children). But so is an already born person, like the infant that couple in the Texas café was hoping to protect with the masks that the owner ordered them to remove, jeopardizing that child’s right to life.

Find one single word I said that remotely supports your insinuation that I advocate or support elective abortion for the sake of convenience, or “legalized murder.” Look really, really close.

The new Texas law is not about preventing legalized murder of infants. I’m not clairvoyant, but it seems to be more about control over women & the state usurping even the most personal & sensitive of family decisions (ironic in a state that hollers to high heaven about the “right to choose” when it comes to masks or vaccines, eh?) It applies to any fetus with detectable cardiac activity, or heartbeat, which may occur before many mothers even suspect they are pregnant, long before the fetus is viable outside the womb, certainly long before the mother or medical providers have any idea about the health of the child. The Texas law also makes no exception for pregnancies from rape or incest.

Here is what the Church General Handbook says about abortion:

The Church opposes elective abortion for personal or social convenience. Members must not submit to, perform, arrange for, pay for, consent to, or encourage an abortion. The only possible exceptions are when:
•   Pregnancy resulted from forcible rape or incest.
•   A competent physician determines that the life or health of the mother is in serious jeopardy.
•   A competent physician determines that the fetus has severe defects that will not allow the baby to survive beyond birth.
Even these exceptions do not automatically justify abortion…

Under the Texas law, a girl (maybe one of our daughters or kid sisters) who is victimized by a stranger or a pedo relative, & does not know almost immediately that she is pregnant, would have no legal recourse to end the pregnancy. A mother or mother/father might have little chance within the allowed timeframe of knowing whether her life or health was in jeopardy. Without even knowing they are expecting, obviously they would have no opportunity to know anything about the child’s health. The Church does not automatically endorse abortion, but allows it to be considered in these extreme circumstances, which Texas does not consider.

Come on up here & tell us that you think the instructions in the General Handbook, which were given by revelation from God, are nasty, horrible, & disgusting, & that the Church & its leaders, & our Prophet who is an M.D. as well as the Lord’s representative on Earth, are clueless & horrible people who support legalized murder.

I am not going so far as to say I am the target of an ad hominem attack here, but it’s pretty close to the edge. If I talked this way about another Nauvoodle or a brother or sister in my ward, I’d have a foul taste in my mouth too.

The following users thanked this post: Jana at Jade House, Roper

N3uroTypical

• MembersOnly
    • View Profile
« Reply #519 on: September 23, 2021, 10:48:40 am »
Ok, I was overly inflammatory, and for that I apologize.

But holy honk folks, placing a restaurant's 'no mask policy' on the same level as an antithesis to the pro-life stance?  If that's not overly inflammatory, then it is at very least ill-advised and unproductive.  Even if the no mask policy is not lawful, it's still nowhere on the same level.   One thing kills innocent defenseless children.  The other announces a policy that, if someone voluntarily walks into a building, they may be at some tiny increased risk of possibly catching something contagious. 

Since it has been brought up, again, I ask folks to think about everything done, both collectively and individually, to combat COVID.  And again, I ask folks to think about your own personal individual efforts to protect the lives of the unborn.  And again, I point out that abortions are ending lives in the US at twice the rate COVID is.

If y'all really want to make some case relying on how many of the hundreds of thousands of abortions every year might fall under rape/incest/mother's life or health in jeopardy, then you're totally welcome.  I'm thinking that line of argumentation will result in the persuasive power you might think, but that's up to you.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2021, 10:52:44 am by N3uroTypical »
-Taalcon

N3uroTypical

• MembersOnly
    • View Profile
« Reply #520 on: September 23, 2021, 11:06:52 am »
Here is what the Church General Handbook says about abortion:

The Church opposes elective abortion for personal or social convenience. Members must not submit to, perform, arrange for, pay for, consent to, or encourage an abortion. The only possible exceptions are when:
•   Pregnancy resulted from forcible rape or incest.
•   A competent physician determines that the life or health of the mother is in serious jeopardy.
•   A competent physician determines that the fetus has severe defects that will not allow the baby to survive beyond birth.
Even these exceptions do not automatically justify abortion…

Come on up here & tell us that you think the instructions in the General Handbook, which were given by revelation from God, are nasty, horrible, & disgusting, & that the Church & its leaders, & our Prophet who is an M.D. as well as the Lord’s representative on Earth, are clueless & horrible people who support legalized murder.

Recent USA Today: "Just 1% of women obtain an abortion because they became pregnant through rape, and less than 0.5% do so because of incest, according to the Guttmacher Institute."    - https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2019/05/24/rape-and-incest-account-few-abortions-so-why-all-attention/1211175001/

Similar data from 1989: https://www.nytimes.com/1989/10/13/us/rape-and-incest-just-1-of-all-abortions.html

I'm all for exemptions that follow the good inspired reasoning in the handbook.  And I acknowledge there are plenty of such cases.   I'm not here to argue in favor of the Texas law, I'm here to cry out in pain that I'm in the company of folks who think it's a good idea to tie some businesses dumb 'no mask policy' to the abortion debate, because outrage.

Can y'all acknowledge the vast majority of abortions do not fall into those handbook categories?  Are y'all aware that the most common reasons given are things like "my birth control failed", or "I can't handle more children", or "I didn't want to get pregnant", or "I don't want the responsibility of caring for a child", or "I don't have healthcare", or "I don't want a child until I'm married"?   Less common, but still heard reasons are things like "I changed my mind", or "I don't like the feel of condoms", or "The guy says he won't pay for it", or "I found out I won't qualify for free benefits like I thought".   

Yeah, perhaps I overreacted.   I'm still thinking "shame, shame, shame."
-Taalcon

Roper

• Administrator
  • Thousand Year Egg Club
    • View Profile
« Reply #521 on: September 23, 2021, 03:01:44 pm »
Strawman, NT. I'm on your side when it comes to the politics of abortion. I understand the stats you have quoted. I understand and support the Church's statement from the General Handbook.

I'm saying that I doubt the sincerity of Republican arguments against abortion when they use the rally cry, "Protect the children! Protect the children!" and then oppose policies protecting children once the child is born (because most of those policies are proposed by Democrats.) And the same holds true the other way: Democrats are all for policies which protect children once they're born, but when developing children are at their very most vulnerable, Democrats deny them their Constitutionally guaranteed right to life. They're all hypocrites when it comes to protecting children.

The specific example is more than a "dumb" business policy. It's a politically motivated stunt which communicates a big ol' F--- You! to people who were trying to protect a child. It's the same mentality as people who refuse to get vaccinated for political reasons, then fill up hospitals when they get COVID, putting everyone else at risk.  So, yeah...I have no conflicted feelings about lumping them in with abortion rights "champions." They're all placing partisan purity above protecting children.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2021, 03:08:09 pm by Roper »

The following users thanked this post: dyany

cook

• MembersOnly
    • View Profile
« Reply #522 on: September 23, 2021, 03:36:42 pm »
I ask folks to think about everything done, both collectively and individually, to combat COVID.  And again, I ask folks to think about your own personal individual efforts to protect the lives of the unborn.

To combat covid I wear mask (here it's in any public place indoors and as a teacher at work), I got my two shots and I've taken tests as instructed and stayed away even with a small hint of flu like symptoms. I also make sure my pupils wash hands and that they follow the other instruction mandated.

My efforts to protect the lives of the unborn are that I teach about sex to my children and I teach sex ed at school. I've also had many impromptu discussions with pupils about sex. I've also taught about the issue to youth at the church and to YSA as part of the marriage course. I also teach about what to do if you meet a person touching you in places they should not etc and about keeping your own boundaries. At school. And many other related things. I do think I have actually done a lot more to reduce the number of abortions than what I have done to battle covid.

In either case, I'm just doing my part in the positions I'm in.

The rate in the US seems to be about 11,3 in 2018. In Finland that year it was 7,6. The difference is in the US the agerange is 15-44, in Finland 15-49. They say the lower rate is mostly due to sex education. So I think I've been doing pretty much:

Can I now say I really think people should do as told and protect the children by doing so?

The following users thanked this post: Iggy, Roper

Taalcon

• MembersOnly
    • View Profile
« Reply #523 on: September 23, 2021, 04:17:43 pm »
I'm with cook. The best thing to decrease abortions is to talk about sex openly, and not just "don't do it."  Our approach as parents is, "We hope you don't have sex before you're in a marriage relationship for x y z reasons. But if you do make that choice, here's what you need to know so you can be safe, and not bring further hardship on yourself or others."

And then, to have safeguards in place to let those who DO conceive know they won't be setting themselves and their child into a spiral of poverty that both will have a hard time exiting.

And also to make the process of Adoption (both for the birth parent, and for those seeking to adopt) an overall better and streamlined experience.

I dislike elective abortion, but something needs to be done to better signal support for the followup after a child is born who otherwise wouldn't have been wanted or prepared for by the birth parents.

The following users thanked this post: Iggy, Roper

Jason

• MembersOnly
    • View Profile
« Reply #524 on: September 25, 2021, 01:43:21 am »
Covid cases and hospitalizations in my county and state are still high, but they are coming down. The 'dry tinder' is being burned through. Cases will smolder through schools for a while longer, but that will not result in too significant an increase in hospitalizations and death. I think the effort to vaccinate children will soon be moot, as post infectious immunity will become widespread before we have enough data to say that vaccinating children is safe.

The following users thanked this post: Jen, Roper, Sparky

* Calendar

October 2021
Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 [27] 28 29 30

No calendar events were found.

* Recent Posts

Re: The Saga chapter 2 by Iggy