Welcome to New Nauvoo

Author Topic: COVID-19  (Read 23551 times)

Roper

• Administrator
  • Thousand Year Egg Club
    • View Profile
Re: COVID-19
« Reply #345 on: June 17, 2021, 10:54:32 am »
Happy to be putting all this in my rear view mirror.  It's growing more and more normal to go somewhere in public and see almost no masks.

Amen, brother. I despised wearing masks. They constantly fogged up my glasses no matter what I did, and I felt claustrophobic all the time. I couldn't wait to get home and take the #$%@ things off. I wore them because 1) they were lawfully required, and 2) because they reduced the risk of transmission. I smile now when I go into Costco and read the big sign by the entry which says masks are not required for people who have been vaccinated. (Nobody in Costco wears masks, even though I'm sure not all of them have been vaccinated. Honestly, I don't care anymore.)
Education is not preparation for life; education is life itself. - John Dewey

The following users thanked this post: N3uroTypical

Scruffydog

• MembersOnly
    • View Profile
« Reply #346 on: June 17, 2021, 01:15:15 pm »
I wouldn't relax too much just yet. Our infection rate is rocketing again in the UK, although the hospitalisation rate is not too bad yet. This is the delta variant. Try to avoid it if you can.

The following users thanked this post: dyany, Roper

dyany

• Administrator
  • Thousand Year Egg Club
    • View Profile
    • My blog
« Reply #347 on: June 17, 2021, 01:34:28 pm »
I still wear a mask. I am one of only 2-3 who wear them at church anymore, but there are still people uncomfortable about coming to church, still people attending via Zoom, still people getting sick, still people who are vulnerable.

This last week my husband was talking to a friend at work about the ceasing of all pandemic precautions in our ward, except for Zoom, which would have stopped except that I asked them not to because of people I know who are still not comfortable coming to meetings, and we run the dang thing.
This friend happened to be a bishop. And he showed my husband the letter THAT WEEK from the area authority outlining precautions still to be taken, including social distancing (which is no longer done in my ward), masking (no longer done in my ward).
Week before last, they crammed every adult into the RS room--while the chapel and cultural hall sat empty because we are the last ward in the building--for Sunday school. I and a friend who happens to be battling cancer refused to enter because of the risk.
This last week, after helping my husband put away the Zoom broadcast equipment, I went to the RS room, hoping it would be better with far less people.
There were far less people, but our RS president had, for some unknown reason, told everyone to cram into the seats only on one side.
Again, I refused to go in.
My husband thinks I am being 'bad' because I'm not attending that meeting. While the leaders--particularly the RS president, who has made MANY mocking statements in my hearing about pandemic precautions--openly defy both the area authority and the prophet.
I know I am vaccinated.
But I know the vast majority of my ward is not. And there are vulnerable people in my ward, some who recognize that and others who do not.
I will follow the prophet before I will follow local leaders in defiance of the prophet.
When day comes we step out of the shade,
aflame and unafraid
The new dawn blooms as we free it
For there is always light,
if only we're brave enough to see it
If only we're brave enough to be it

The following users thanked this post: Roper, Sparky

Jason

• MembersOnly
    • View Profile
« Reply #348 on: June 17, 2021, 02:25:00 pm »
Most (90%) current hospitalizations are among unvaccinated.

Delta variant is more transmissible, but not known to be more deadly. 2 doses of the mRNA vaccines are still more than 90% effective against it. Astra Seneca is still pretty effective, too. It has rapidly become the dominant strain in the UK. It is currently only 10% on the US, but it is predicted to become the dominant strain in the USA over the next month or two, mostly spreading among the unvaccinated (Idaho? Are you ready?)

Myocarditis is likely a real thing. Most common "normal" cause is post viral syndrome. I recently learned that the smallpox vaccine had a very high rate of myocarditis, especially among young men, so following a vaccine is not unheard of. Incidence with Covid vaccine is far lower than with the smallpox vaccine.

I still think it will be unlikely for Covid vaccine approval among those under age 12. What could change my mind is how common "long covid" occurs in that age range. If it turns out to be high, then the vaccine may make sense.

The following users thanked this post: Iggy, Roper, Palmon

Jason

• MembersOnly
    • View Profile
« Reply #349 on: June 23, 2021, 12:11:52 am »
The World Health Organization is not currently recommending that non-high risk children get vaccinated. They say they do not have enough information to recommend that. This is different than the CDC, which says that everyone 12 and up should get vaccinated.

The following users thanked this post: Jen, Roper, Palmon

N3uroTypical

• MembersOnly
    • View Profile
« Reply #350 on: June 23, 2021, 12:39:56 pm »
I'm back in my office!  A couple of days per week right now.  Folks are slowly filtering back, mostly management at this point.
 Some were critical workers needed on site and never were absent.  I expect a slow ramp up to a full return to work, followed by a week of opening the floodgates and watching everyone pour in all at once.  Taking back our normal with gusto.

I've started a trophy wall in my cube.

« Last Edit: June 23, 2021, 12:41:43 pm by N3uroTypical »
What-about-ism is pointless. I like to think most people's responses to such arguments would be, "Yup. That person, who happened to wear the same political jersey I do/did, was totally wrong on that, too."
-Taalcon

Roper

• Administrator
  • Thousand Year Egg Club
    • View Profile
« Reply #351 on: June 23, 2021, 06:15:54 pm »
To all teachers: I have the greatest respect for you. I was a teacher for 12 years. I know what it's like in the classroom. It's time to get ready to go back to work. In person. No more, "The thought of returning to the classroom just triggers my anxiety," or "I just don't feel safe returning to the classroom." You have two months. Cowboy up. Get your shot. And get ready. If you refuse, then it's time to look for another job.

The following users thanked this post: Sparky

Jason

• MembersOnly
    • View Profile
« Reply #352 on: June 23, 2021, 10:08:43 pm »
I anticipate that there is currently a lot of lobbying by the various teacher's unions to recommend vaccinations for children. I suspect the unions are not going to be happy when the CDC does not lower the ages it recommends for vaccinations. I even suspect that the CDC will soon not recommend those 12 years old be vaccinated unless they have co-morbidities or live with at risk people.

The delta variant is doubling its percentage of the reported cases in the USA every 2 weeks (it is becoming the dominant strain). In May it was around 1% of cases. About 2 weeks ago it was 10%. It is now 20%. July 7th it is estimated it will be 40% of cases, and July 24th 80% of US cases. Places that have lower vaccination rates are going to have it spread fastest such as Utah, Missouri, and a few others. The 2 dose regiment of the mRNA vaccines are very effective against this variant, but unfortunately that takes time. Utah does not have enough time to vaccinate enough people to avoid this becoming widespread. However, much of their vulnerable population has been vaccinated, so the death toll should not be as bad as it would have been.

This variant is much more infectious. We have seen that in the past someone could isolate in their house and others in the house would not get infected with the alpha variant. However, UK data has shown us isolating in a house does not protect the others in the house against the delta variant, they are all getting infected. They should instead isolate alone, possibly a hotel.

Sparky

• MembersOnly
    • View Profile
« Reply #353 on: June 24, 2021, 08:47:10 am »
Roper, I agree about teachers getting back to work. My county and city both went back to school full-time at the end of August with about 25% of our students still virtual. By November there was only about 2% of our students virtual. It was harder for the high schools -- sports teams and cheerleaders getting covid. But elementary schools had very few cases. My school had no students or teachers get covid from school contacts. Anyone who got covid at my school got it from spouses or family members who worked other places. I was the "virtual teacher" for the fifth graders at my school. I started with 11 students and ended the year with two. The others came back to regular school because they were failing the virtual work despite my tutoring. The last two were successful in some subjects (math, science), but totally stopped completing the reading lessons because they are weaker at reading and just didn't want to do them. Virtual learning doesn't work well at all. We need to get back to in-person learning for our children.

The following users thanked this post: dyany, Roper, Palmon

Roper

• Administrator
  • Thousand Year Egg Club
    • View Profile
« Reply #354 on: June 25, 2021, 07:13:13 pm »
My 15-year-old daughter got her second shot yesterday (Pfizer.) She went to her driver's ed class today even though she wasn't feeling very well this morning. I know...we didn't plan that out really well. Now, everyone in my family over 12 years old has been fully vaccinated.

In other news, I read a report on KSL that nearly all the COVID-19 hospitalizations in Utah are among the unvaccinated at this point.

« Last Edit: June 25, 2021, 07:15:13 pm by Roper »

The following users thanked this post: Sparky, Hobbes, Taalcon

Jason

• MembersOnly
    • View Profile
« Reply #355 on: July 08, 2021, 12:02:12 am »
I said the delta variant would be 40% of US cases by July 7th, but it has spread faster and by July 3rd it was over 50% of cases.

Despite the rise of the delta variant, in Washington state we are most concerned about the gamma variant. The alpha still causes most cases, and the delta is rising, too. However, most hospitalizations are from the gamma variant, and a big chunk of breakthrough cases after vaccination are from it.

The delta variant is going to spread through the lesser vaccinated parts of the country. Hopefully the elderly in those areas were vaccinated, as the vaccine is very effective against the delta. And the gamma variant may smolder at a low rate in the more vaccinated areas.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2021, 12:05:31 am by Jason »

The following users thanked this post: N3uroTypical, Roper

N3uroTypical

• MembersOnly
    • View Profile
« Reply #356 on: July 08, 2021, 04:39:49 pm »
Is there any good information about how deadly the various variants are, compared to the original?

I remember hearing from a couple of different sources last year, that when viruses begin to mutate, it's usually going to make it more contagious, but less deadly.  I don't know why that would be, but the same tidbit hit me from two different directions, both sources claiming to know a thing or two about epi/pandemic virology moving through populations across time.
What-about-ism is pointless. I like to think most people's responses to such arguments would be, "Yup. That person, who happened to wear the same political jersey I do/did, was totally wrong on that, too."
-Taalcon

The following users thanked this post: Roper

Roper

• Administrator
  • Thousand Year Egg Club
    • View Profile
« Reply #357 on: July 08, 2021, 08:13:33 pm »
I don't have a direct answer, NT. Perhaps Jason has more information. I have heard from a number of sources that the mRNA vaccines provide good protection against the variants, as far as medical science has been able to determine.

And this: Krispy Kreme will give you a free glazed donut if you have your vaccine. I was near the Krispy Kreme in Orem today. Mmm...
« Last Edit: July 08, 2021, 08:16:18 pm by Roper »

The following users thanked this post: N3uroTypical

Jason

• MembersOnly
    • View Profile
« Reply #358 on: July 08, 2021, 11:08:03 pm »
The delta variant in the UK has had a different set of symptoms, headache, sore throat, and runny nose. Does that mean that the UK delta variant is becoming more cold like?  Maybe. I'd like to think so. It makes evolutionary sense for a disease to not kill off its hosts.

But, most of the people at risk of severe disease, hospitalization and dying have been vaccinated. The virus is mostly spreading among the young, unvaccinated people, so it will have a milder course, anyway.

Long Covid (symptoms greater than 12 weeks) are a concern, as they do not appear to be related to how severe of a case someone had. And there are some very concerning long covid syndromes, like chronic fatigue, which can be severe enough to put someone on disability.

The following users thanked this post: N3uroTypical, Roper

Curelom

• MembersOnly
  • Thousand Year Egg Club
    • View Profile
« Reply #359 on: July 10, 2021, 10:45:57 pm »
Tennessee Health Department is accused of “targeting our youth” (cuz “we know how impressionable our young people are”). Republican legislators threaten to defund health department if medical professionals continue promoting vaccination to teenagers.

https://www.usnews.com/news/best-states/tennessee/articles/2021-07-09/report-officials-say-dont-aim-vaccine-information-at-teens

https://wpln.org/post/angered-by-youth-vaccine-promotion-tennessee-republicans-threaten-to-defund-health-department/

I don’t think those politicians have a durned thing to worry about, since Tennesseans aren’t exactly storming the clinics to get vaccinated (less than 38% fully vaccinated – similar to Utah, BTW). Compare that with 44% in neighboring Kentucky, 50% in California, 55% in New Mexico, & 66% in Vermont. And among California counties, fully vaxxed rates of 71% in Marin, 68% in San Francisco, 67% in Santa Clara, 66% in San Mateo, and 64% in Alameda. But then, the pandemic and vaccine have been treated as actual health matters by most folks here in the Bay Area.

The following users thanked this post: Roper

* Calendar

October 2021
Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 [27] 28 29 30

No calendar events were found.

* Recent Posts

Re: The Saga chapter 2 by Iggy