Welcome to New Nauvoo

Author Topic: March 9-15. Jacob 1-4: “Be Reconciled unto God through the Atonement of Christ"  (Read 149 times)

Roper

• Administrator
  • Thousand Year Egg Club
  • Earning my spurs.
    • View Profile
https://www.churchofjesuschrist.org/study/manual/come-follow-me-for-individuals-and-families-book-of-mormon-2020/11?lang=eng

"For where two or three are gathered together in my name, there am I in the midst of them." - Matthew 18:20

Since we won't be gathering in church until we receive further instructions, I thought we could have virtual Sunday School meetings here. No set times, just participate in whatever way works best for you and your family. If you choose to participate, please study the corresponding materials in "Come Follow Me." I have included a link to the Sunday School resources.

"Be Reconciled unto God through the Atonement of Christ"
Jacob 1-4

https://www.churchofjesuschrist.org/study/manual/come-follow-me-for-sunday-school-book-of-mormon-2020/11?lang=eng

Additionally, here is music to go with our study:

"Because I Have Been Given Much"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xHaYpXRlER8

"I'll Walk With You"
https://www.churchofjesuschrist.org/music/library/childrens-songbook/ill-walk-with-you?lang=eng

See you Sunday!
« Last Edit: March 15, 2020, 12:09:35 pm by AndrewR_admin »
All grown-ups were once children...but only few of them remember it. ― Antoine de Saint-Exupéry, "The Little Prince."

The following users thanked this post: palmetto_gal, Sparky

Patty Rain

• MembersOnly
    • View Profile
Re: Virtual Sunday School
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2020, 11:02:02 am »
This would be nice even with no church.  I am teaching 5 year olds and that makes a little different conversation than with adults.

Ok, now that I say that I wonder what I want to do with my class. At the end of our classes we give them something simple to do that goes along with the lesson.  Last week it was "play with someone who is different than you".  Other weeks it has been "remember to pray" or draw a picture of you helping someone and show us next week".  Sometimes they just need to tell us about it, sometimes bring something back.

We were having almost no participation or reporting on it so we started giving out little things if they did. Things that only cost 25 cents or less, mostly from my scrapbook days like a sticker, bookmark, etc. Nothing real ect.

We have had more participation and conversation that results from the participation.

This week was going to be "share something".

So now I'm wondering...I send a group text each week to parents telling them what the thing is so if their child forgets what it is they can ask their parents.  So what if they replied via their parent's text and then for those that participate I send a link of a gif or a short video or a joke. 
Time for a change.  I am yungmom, but have wanted a new username for some time.

The following users thanked this post: Roper, Sparky, CrowGirl

Iggy

• MembersOnly
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2020, 11:57:25 am »
I received this letter via email from my Stake Presidency:

Dear ______ Stake Family,

These sure are interesting times.  Due to the current COVID-19 outbreak and the Governor’s announcement last night we had to cancel the BYU International Folk Dance program tonight.  Then today the First Presidency announced that all public church meetings and activities (including Sacrament Meetings) have been suspended until further notice.

As a result, for the _________ Stake we will do the following:

1.    Beginning immediately, all public gatherings of Church members are being temporarily suspended until further notice. This includes all stake admin meetings, all public worship services (including Sacrament meetings), early morning seminary and all branch, ward and stake activities.

2.     Where possible, leaders will conduct any essential leadership meeting via technology.

3.     Bishops (working with the stake president) will determine how to make the sacrament available to members at least once a month where possible.

As I reflect on this event, I am grateful for living prophets who have provided guidance and direction to address and prepare us for events like this.  So as a Stake Presidency we encourage all members to study the Come Follow Me home centered church supported program as a replacement for their Sunday meetings. There are other ways to supplement your Sunday worship like watching the new Book of Mormon videos, watching  the Sunday worship service on BYUTV and or Music and the Spoken Word also on BYUTV (if you have access to it).

I also encourage each of you, as your Stake President, to be vigilant in your ministering efforts to care for one other. This is an opportunity to follow the Savior’s example to bless and lift others.

Please join with me in praying for our community, nation and the world that the Lord will bless us and stave off the spread of this virus.  Please also follow the recommendations from our medical professionals in doing those common sense activities like washing your hands frequently, coughing into your elbow or tissue and practicing social distancing.  I join with the First Presidency in bearing witness of the Lord’s love during this time of uncertainty. He will bless you to find joy as you do your best to live the gospel of Jesus Christ in every circumstance.

Sincerely,

The ________ Stake Presidency

I want to add my testimony of the truthfulness of this gospel, and that President Russell M. Nelson is the true prophet and he speaks God's words to us. That we have been guided to have Home Centered Church Supported Gospel study. I am impressed with how we have been prepared spiritually to handle this pandemic.  This I say in Jesus name, Amen

As far back as I can remember [about 56 years ago] we have been encouraged to have a food supply. Short term and long term. About 20 years ago my Branch President/RS President/Emergency Preparedness Leaders have also stressed having more than just food in our storage - so that is what I have done.

I don't need to rush to find toilet paper - still cannot figure out how having a stockpile of toilet paper will stave off this virus - nor do I need to rush to the store(s) to stockpile 70 & 90% Alcohol as I have more than enough [I am diabetic and I test/inject daily]

Since my arthritis has settled this year in my hands I wear compression gloves and that tends to stop people from grabbing my hand to shake it.  ;D

My Ward is doing Come Follow Me lessons via our FB page - for me it is a wonderful blessing, because I can easily read the discussion - being there in person I cannot hear anyone except the people who sit directly next to me. 95% of the people who attend classes are terrified of the microphones! Like it is a lethal venomous snake that will bite and kill them! Or they claim they talk loud enough and don't need it. Well I quickly assure them that they do NOT talk loud enough, at least not after the first 6 words they speak, then they drop their voice to a Chin In The Chest Mumble.

As for the passing of the Sacrament --can my Husband who holds the Melchizedek Priesthood prepare AND pass the sacrament to me and himself? 

The following users thanked this post: Roper

Taalcon

• MembersOnly
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2020, 12:01:43 pm »
And here I thought this is what we've been doing in the CFM questions thread all along.

The following users thanked this post: Roper, Sparky

AndrewR

• MembersOnly
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2020, 12:51:42 pm »
As for the passing of the Sacrament --can my Husband who holds the Melchizedek Priesthood prepare AND pass the sacrament to me and himself?

With the Bishop's permission/authorisation, he can.
Don't ask me, I only live here.
Nauvoodle since March 2005 #1412

The following users thanked this post: Iggy, Roper, Taalcon

Taalcon

• MembersOnly
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2020, 01:08:11 pm »
As an addendum and hopefully further explanation of what AndrewR correctly said, there's two things going on:

• The responsibility to authorize (give permission for) the performance of an ordinance ("The Keys")

• Those who are inherently ready and available to be delegated to perform an authorized ordinance.

The Bishop has the keys for the Ordinance of the Sacrament in the ward. Thus, it is only authorized to be performed under his direction. Those who bless the sacrament in the ward's sacrament meeting do so under the (implicit) authority of the present Presiding Authority. (The one who also needs to ask the ordinance to be repeated if it's judged not to have been read correctly). Those available to be given the responsibility to actually give voice to the Sacrament Prayers and to break the bread are, right now, all Melchizedek Priesthood officers, and all who hold the Aaronic Priesthood office of Priest.

While Priests and Elders are all ready and available to perform the ordinance, they are not authorized to do so without the specific go-ahead of the presiding officer who holds the keys to that Ordinance in the ward (the Bishop).

It's the same for Baptisms - Elders and Priests are available to perform Baptisms, but cannot do so unless they are specifically authorized by the delegated authority of the keys that preside over the jurisdiction of that Baptism.

So until a Bishop specifically sends out notice to their ward authorizing Priesthood officers under their jurisdiction to perform the Sacrament Ordinance, they are not yet authorized to do so, although they are ready and available to do so.

Hope this makes sense.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2020, 01:22:31 pm by Taalcon »

The following users thanked this post: dyany, Iggy, Roper

Roper

• Administrator
  • Thousand Year Egg Club
  • Earning my spurs.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2020, 02:16:53 pm »
I wonder what constitutes the exception. When I was deployed to the Land of Sand (three times), I met with a few other LDS guys on Sundays. We sang a hymn. We prepared, blessed, and took the sacrament. We shared testimonies and experiences. We closed. I know there's an authorization procedure to do that in the military, but nobody among us had been officially authorized. Maybe it has to do with boundaries. If you're within a ward's boundaries, then the Bishop needs to authorize it. If not, then priesthood authority is sufficient.
All grown-ups were once children...but only few of them remember it. ― Antoine de Saint-Exupéry, "The Little Prince."

The following users thanked this post: Iggy

Taalcon

• MembersOnly
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2020, 02:31:33 pm »
I wonder what constitutes the exception. When I was deployed to the Land of Sand (three times), I met with a few other LDS guys on Sundays. We sang a hymn. We prepared, blessed, and took the sacrament. We shared testimonies and experiences. We closed. I know there's an authorization procedure to do that in the military, but nobody among us had been officially authorized. Maybe it has to do with boundaries. If you're within a ward's boundaries, then the Bishop needs to authorize it. If not, then priesthood authority is sufficient.

It looks like it falls under this. I bet, at least now, if asked, if there was no arrangement for groups, they'd say go ahead and gather, and do stuff, but likely ask you to refrain from  doing the ordinance itself without specific authorization. Not sure how new these policies are, though.

https://www.churchofjesuschrist.org/military/service-member-groups-and-responsibilities?lang=eng

Deployed Locations

Except for Navy ships at sea, all locations to which military members are deployed are within the boundaries of a stake, mission, or area. If priesthood leaders need to identify if there is a functioning Church unit or group in a certain area, they should contact the Military Relations and Chaplain Services Division. If there are no established Church units or groups at the deployed location, the Military Relations and Chaplain Services Division will coordinate with ecclesiastical leaders over that area of the world to obtain approval for the stake president to call a Church member to serve as a service member group leader. Occasionally members may deploy on contingency or special forces operations and are not allowed to divulge the location because of security concerns. In these cases, stake presidents are authorized to call and set apart a group leader to conduct Church services while the unit is deployed. If there is a functioning group at the deployed location, the Military Relations and Chaplain Services Division will give the stake president the contact information for the group leader and the location of the Church services.

Responsibilities of Service Member Group Leaders
As a service member group leader, you have the following responsibilities:

Represent the Latter-day Saint military members at your location and establish a liaison with local military authorities. To establish a liaison, contact the unit commander and the senior chaplain at your location to receive permission and guidance concerning holding Latter-day Saint services and to arrange meeting times and a location for the group. Provide a copy of your letter of appointment to the unit chaplain. This authorizes you to function as the group leader.
Identify and contact Church members in your unit and at the same location. The chaplain may be able to provide a list of those who have identified themselves as Latter-day Saints.
Plan and preside over group meetings and activities.
Conduct a weekly sacrament service to give members the opportunity to partake of the sacrament. The sacrament is a priesthood ordinance administered under your direction.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2020, 02:36:41 pm by Taalcon »

The following users thanked this post: dyany, Roper

pnr

• MembersOnly
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2020, 05:42:42 pm »
So now I'm wondering...I send a group text each week to parents telling them what the thing is so if their child forgets what it is they can ask their parents. 

Why don't you set up a zoom call (free for 40 minutes, you set up the meeting and send the link and the person using the link need not have an account themselves) and invite each of your class to call/download in.  Ask the primary chorister if s/he'd like to do songs for 20 minutes in the same meeting?
Nauvoo 1270, Feb 2005

The following users thanked this post: Roper

cook

• MembersOnly
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2020, 08:40:20 am »
Would the virtual sunday school work under this section that someone always puts the reading assignment as a topic and then discussion on those stay there? If it's just one thread, it may become too long and varied to follow easily?

The following users thanked this post: Roper, rcaywood

* Calendar

March 2020
Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
1 2 3 4 5 6 7
8 9 10 11 12 13 14
15 16 17 18 19 20 21
22 23 24 25 26 27 28
[29] 30 31

No calendar events were found.

* Recent Posts

Re: Help with my Kindle Fire by GoodyScrivener