Welcome to New Nauvoo

Author Topic: All meetings cancelled  (Read 780 times)

Taalcon

• MembersOnly
    • View Profile

GoodyScrivener

• MembersOnly
    • View Profile
Re: All meetings cancelled
« Reply #16 on: March 13, 2020, 10:43:26 pm »
The information that I received from my stake president is that living ordinances are still taking place, that the temple presidency will be working with the individuals who already have ordinances scheduled, and that individuals who have a need to schedule will be given appropriate instruction when they call.

Taalcon

• MembersOnly
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 15, 2020, 10:21:07 am »
Our ward elected to have the Bishopric and EQP make individual Official Phone Calls to each family yesterday afternoon reading a statement from the Bishop specifically authorizing the named individuals to officiate for the Sacrament for their families, and for specific applicable individuals they are assigned to in regards to ministering.

Our family will have a mini-Sacrament meeting later today.

AndrewR_admin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 15, 2020, 10:27:11 am »
We have likewise been authorised to administer to our own families. Administering to others will be at the direction of the Bishop and EQP.

Since two of my daughters are working today, and the Prophet has indicated the once a month is sufficient for the sacrament, we will probably not be having the sacrament today - but we are having the missionaries.

GoodyScrivener

• MembersOnly
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 15, 2020, 12:34:48 pm »
Yeah, I figure missing one week isn't going to hurt things. We don't receive the sacrament during stake or general conference, either.

AndrewR

• MembersOnly
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 15, 2020, 12:38:32 pm »
This is what I posted in our Ward FB Group and Quorum Whatsapp group.

The Sacrament

Following an announcement to the priesthood holders by Bishop Hopkins the following is to ensure that we all follow accepted principles and doctrine in these strange times.

Administration of the Sacrament is something that is only correct when it is done under the direction of the Bishop. Only he holds the Keys to authorise priesthood holders to administer the Sacrament, and for members to partake of the Sacrament. In this respect all worthy High Priests, Elders and Priests have been authorised to administer the Sacrament in their homes, to their families.

Those members who do not have a person in their home who can administer the Sacrament will be contacted in due time to see if they would like to receive the Sacrament. They may also contact myself or Bishop Hopkins to request it. We understand that not everyone will want to risk the added exposure at this time.

Members may not ask someone to administer the Sacrament to them, nor may Priesthood holders administer the Sacrament to others (outside of their family), without the authorisation of the Bishop, which may come via myself, or one of his counsellors.

The President of the Church, and our Prophet, has indicated that members should be offered the opportunity to received the Sacrament monthly. As such, please do not worry if you do not receive it weekly, or are not contacted immediately. We know who you are.

In relation to the administration of the Sacrament. Whilst you may wish to incorporate this into your Family Home Evening, "Come, Follow Me" lesson, or a separate Spiritual time, this is not necessary.

You will note that at the Last Supper, when the Lord introduced the Sacrament, there was no hymn, and no other prayers. The Lord simply broke the bread, and blessed it. Took the cup, and blessed it.

No Hymn, or opening and/or closing prayer(s) needs to be given.

Break the bread on a plate, and bless it using the correct prayer. Pass the plate to those receiving the Sacrament

Have water in glasses for your family, bless the water using the correct prayer, and pass the glasses to each person receiving the Sacrament. You could use a communal cup, the Church did in the early days, but this is down to individual/family preferences.

I hope this helps.

And this in another post on FB.

The Sick, or otherwise afflicted.

Brothers and Sisters,

Members of the Church of Jesus Christ or Latter-day Saints are blessed to have the fullness of the Gospel of Jesus Christ in their lives. As such we have the restored Priesthood of God, and with it the opportunity to receive priesthood blessings when required. These can be given to assist members who are suffering from sicknesses of many types. They may also be given to help strengthen our spiritual and mental afflictions, and to give comfort.

If you find yourself in need of a priesthood blessing during these strange and uncharted (in our day) times, please contact your ministers. If you are unsure who they are, then by all means contact me and I will arrange for someone to assist you.

There will be some priesthood holders who, because of age or other conditions, may not be able to visit members and administer priesthood blessings. We will all I am sure understand this. But again, contact me and we will ensure that willing, able bodied, priesthood holders come to your assistance.

Also, if you ask here I am sure that members will add you to their individual prayers.

Priesthood Blessings - somethings to remember and consider.

Only Melchizedek priesthood holders may administer blessing for the sick or blessings of comfort.

Whilst it is preferable for two Melchizedek priesthood holders to give a blessing, it is not an absolute requirement. One priesthood holder may anoint and seal the anointing.

If you have received a priesthood blessing for a particular circumstance you should not require another. However, if you are ill and a priesthood blessing for the sick has been administered, and you later feel you need more help, you could receive a blessing of comfort - with no need to be anointed again.

Fast Sunday - 29th March - From the Bishop

"The Stake Presidency have asked us to make 29th March a stake-wide fast in support of each other during the epidemic. This is in response to the fear and uncertainty surrounding the situation, and of course, a plea for healing to those of us who will undoubtedly really struggle with the disease."
Don't ask me, I only live here.
Nauvoodle since March 2005 #1412

Taalcon

• MembersOnly
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 15, 2020, 01:16:09 pm »
You will note that at the Last Supper, when the Lord introduced the Sacrament, there was no hymn,

I mean, there was, but I guess the point being made still stands.
22 And as they did eat, Jesus took bread, and blessed, and brake it, and gave to them, and said, Take, eat: this is my body.

23 And he took the cup, and when he had given thanks, he gave it to them: and they all drank of it.

24 And he said unto them, This is my blood of the new testament, which is shed for many.

25 Verily I say unto you, I will drink no more of the fruit of the vine, until that day that I drink it new in the kingdom of God.

26 And when they had sung an hymn, they went out into the mount of Olives.

AndrewR

• MembersOnly
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 15, 2020, 01:38:14 pm »
Yes - but it was not a hymn prior to the sacrament being administered. And I would be gratified beyond belief if anyone in my ward noticed that.

And I posted it because our Bishop's wife had posted this the below image. Since it came from her I didn't want members to think they needed a Home Sacrament Meeting - because no such thing exists.
Don't ask me, I only live here.
Nauvoodle since March 2005 #1412

The following users thanked this post: CrowGirl, Taalcon

Taalcon

• MembersOnly
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 15, 2020, 02:59:34 pm »
Yeah, correction and clarification for someone going out of their way to dictate something like that in such a way is absolutely called for. Good work.

(By the way, I had skimmed, and had not noticed you were saying you were the one who had posted those messages rather than just reporting what had gone out. I didn't intend to be personally correcting or 'Well, Actually' something you specifically already did, and see how that comes across. I'm a little embarassed. Sorry for being a pedantic pain in the butt.)
« Last Edit: March 15, 2020, 03:04:06 pm by Taalcon »

GoodyScrivener

• MembersOnly
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 15, 2020, 03:28:30 pm »
As an aside, not having Sunday meetings for the time being has turned into an answer to a prayer here.  I won't go into detail because it's not entirely my story, but let's just say that a behavior changed today in direct response to not having a meeting, which opened up a discussion that will hopefully lead to a needed improvement.

The following users thanked this post: LMAshton, Traela, Palmon, CrowGirl

* Calendar

July 2020
Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
1 2 3 [4]
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31

• - Holidays -
  • holiday Independence Day

* Recent Posts