Welcome to New Nauvoo

Author Topic: Cabin 2.0  (Read 10325 times)

LMAshton

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Cabin 2.0
« Reply #135 on: November 26, 2020, 09:44:04 am »
I have no idea about 1950s dishes. I wasn't alive then... I can bring buns and ketchupqueen's three bean salad. I can also bring Nanaimo bars, and those were likely invented sometime in the 1950s, so that's in the spirit of things I think.

It's true, I feed the furballs whenever I'm here, but I don't always say something. They've been getting their fill of roast chicken and beef stew.

Curelom

• MembersOnly
  • Thousand Year Egg Club
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: November 26, 2020, 11:46:25 pm »
It was all about being creative with boxed or canned items. Lots of Jello salads in molds shaped like a ring, a fish, or some other fanciful shape, with a salad for every possible ingredient. Like the article said, you could make a Jello salad with turkey, or tuna, or canned peas, or canned fruit, tomato or salmon aspic if you wanted to be fancy, you name it. Years ago, a friend gave me an old cookbook from another church's women's group, with hundreds of Jello salad recipes. They could have outdone all of Utah. 🤣

It was a pretty low-key day at the Cabin. A few people showed up, a couple bringing Jello salads, others with dressing, corn, cranberry sauce, ham, & other things. Thanks, everyone. We still have food if anyone wants to drop by for a snack. Don't feed the pets, because they are on diets beginning now.

Curelom

• MembersOnly
  • Thousand Year Egg Club
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: November 27, 2020, 12:10:05 am »
Thanksgiving messages from the President are important to Americans, especially in time of war, disaster, hardship, or other challenges. People look to the White House for leadership, wisdom, & the assurance that their president cares about them & wants the best for them. And bless ‘em, they always come through to uplift & inspire us, don’t they?

Since we don't have a Thanksgiving thread this year, I'll put these up here at the Cabin for all to enjoy, These are some of the words the leaders of the U.S have shared at Thanksgiving.

Donald Trump, 2020 (text not available, so news reports have to suffice for now).

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics/trump-encourages-americans-to-gather-in-thanksgiving-proclamation-despite-coronavirus-surge/ar-BB1bodH4

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics/in-thanksgiving-message-trump-says-we-re-like-a-third-world-country-because-he-lost-election/ar-BB1boJdQ

George W. Bush, 2008.

Thanksgiving is a time for families and friends to gather together and express gratitude for all that we have been given, the freedoms we enjoy, and the loved ones who enrich our lives. We recognize that all of these blessings, and life itself, come not from the hand of man but from Almighty God….

While in the midst of the Civil War, President Abraham Lincoln revived the tradition of proclaiming a day of thanksgiving, asking God to heal our wounds and restore our country.

Today, as we look back on the beginnings of our democracy, Americans recall that we live in a land of many blessings where every person has the right to live, work, and worship in freedom. Our Nation is especially thankful for the brave men and women of our Armed Forces who protect these rights while setting aside their own comfort and safety. Their courage keeps us free, their sacrifice makes us grateful, and their character makes us proud… our whole country keeps them and their families in our thoughts and prayers.

Americans are also mindful of the need to share our gifts with others, and our Nation is moved to compassionate action. We pay tribute to all caring citizens who reach out a helping hand and serve a cause larger than themselves.

On this day, let us all give thanks to God who blessed our Nation’s first days and who blesses us today. May He continue to guide and watch over our families and our country always.

Barack Obama, 2008.

Today, like millions of other families across America, Michelle, Malia, Sasha and I will sit down to share a Thanksgiving filled with family and friends – and a few helpings of food and football, too. And just as folks have done in every Thanksgiving since the first, we’ll spend some time taking stock of what we’re thankful for: the God-given bounty of America, and the blessings of one another.

This is also a holiday that captures that distinctly American impulse to give something of ourselves. Even as we speak, there are countless Americans serving at soup kitchens and food pantries; contributing to their communities; and standing guard around the world.

And in a larger sense, that’s emblematic of what Americans have always done. We come together and do what’s required to make tomorrow better than today. That’s who we are….

This is not the hardest Thanksgiving America has ever faced. But as long as many members of our American family are hurting, we’ve got to look out for one another. As long as many of our sons and daughters and husbands and wives are at war, we’ve got to support their mission and honor their service. And as long as many of our friends and neighbors are looking for work, we’ve got to do everything we can to accelerate this recovery and keep our economy moving forward.

And we will. But we won’t do it as any one political party.  We’ve got to do it as one people. And in the coming weeks and months, I hope that we can work together, Democrats and Republicans and Independents alike....

For what we are called to do again today isn’t about Democrats or Republicans. It’s not about left or right. It’s about us. It’s about what we know this country is capable of. It’s about what we want America to be in this new century.

A vibrant nation that makes sure its children are the best-educated in the world. A healthy, growing economy that runs on clean energy and creates the jobs of tomorrow. A responsible government that reduces its deficits. An America where every citizen is able to go as far as he or she desires….

We honor our past and press forward with the knowledge that tomorrow will be better than today. We are Americans. That’s the vision we won’t lose sight of. That’s the legacy that falls to our generation. That’s the challenge that together, we are going to meet.

To every American, I am thankful for the privilege of being your President.  To all our service members stationed around the world, I am honored to be your Commander-in-Chief. And from the Obama family to yours, have a very Happy Thanksgiving. Thank you.

Bill Clinton, 1996.

America's oldest tradition, Thanksgiving is also a reaffirmation of our most deeply held values; a public recognition that, in the words of Thomas Jefferson, "God who gave us life gave us liberty." In gratitude for God's gift of freedom and "for all the great and various favors which he hath been pleased to confer upon us," George Washington made Thanksgiving his first proclamation for the new Nation, and it is one we are privileged to renew each year.

Much has changed for America in the two centuries since… Generations of hardworking men and women have cultivated our soil and worked the land, and today America's bounty helps feed the world. The promise of freedom that sustained our founders through the hardships of the Revolution and the first challenging days of nationhood has become a reality for millions of immigrants who left their homelands for a new life on these shores. And the light of that freedom now shines brightly in many nations that once lived in the shadows of tyranny and oppression.

But across the years, we still share an unbroken bond with the men and women who first proclaimed Thanksgiving in our land. Americans today still cherish the fresh air of freedom, in which we can raise our families and worship God as we choose without fear of persecution. We still rejoice in this great land and in the civil and religious liberty it offers to all. And we still…raise our voices in prayer to God, thanking Him in humility for the countless blessings He has bestowed on our Nation and our people.

Let us… reawaken ourselves and our neighbors and our communities to the genius of our founders in daring to build the world's first constitutional democracy on the foundation of trust and thanks to God. Out of our right and proper rejoicing on Thanksgiving Day, let us give our own thanks to God and reaffirm our love of family, neighbor, and community. Each of us can be an instrument of blessing to those we touch this Thanksgiving Day -- and every day of the year.

Curelom

• MembersOnly
  • Thousand Year Egg Club
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: December 01, 2020, 10:59:32 pm »
Our cats are all in love. They saw this gorgeous lion & they are all beside themselves. I think they are also a bit envious, even though they are majestic creatures in their own right.

https://www.hindustantimes.com/it-s-viral/have-you-seen-the-images-of-this-white-lion-showing-off-its-majestic-mane/story-Z9jQfZ9upyn5TqHP72uRCJ.html

https://www.majesticanimals.net/white-lion-shows-off-his-majestic-mane-in-breathtaking-photos

The following users thanked this post: LMAshton, Sparky, Redd

Iggy

• MembersOnly
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: December 02, 2020, 06:06:04 am »
I know I can't live totally alone, and have been wanting a pet or two. Can't do the litter boxes anymore, so I have decided that after Hubs passes away I am getting a dog. I am torn between a little lap dog or a BIG dog.

I have been looking online with the local animal shelter. Lord Love A Duck, the adoption fees they are asking for. Right now all they have is an adult male pit. Nope, have three of them next door. Maybe I'll check out the animal shelters in Corvallis, Eugene and Salem areas.

The following users thanked this post: Sparky

Jen

• MembersOnly
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: December 02, 2020, 01:39:14 pm »
I know I can't live totally alone, and have been wanting a pet or two. Can't do the litter boxes anymore, so I have decided that after Hubs passes away I am getting a dog. I am torn between a little lap dog or a BIG dog.

I have been looking online with the local animal shelter. Lord Love A Duck, the adoption fees they are asking for. Right now all they have is an adult male pit. Nope, have three of them next door. Maybe I'll check out the animal shelters in Corvallis, Eugene and Salem areas.

If you're on Facebook, look for local rescues, too. There are several in our area. My sister volunteers for one and I know she's transported for them as far as Bend. I'm sure Lincoln City or Florence has to have one. Rescue dogs are the best and usually their fees are less than the shelters and often only to cover spay/neuter and vet costs.

The following users thanked this post: Iggy

Redd

• MembersOnly
  • when life gives you lemons, make grape juice!
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: December 09, 2020, 06:39:37 pm »
the shelters in Albuquerque have made it near impossible for people who live out side the city to adopt. You have to go to the shelter, scan the QR code, get an appointment for later that day, go back and see if you fall in love or not. This is hard if you work or go to college, live quite a distance away (like I do) do not use a smart phone. They do post their animals on line, but you still have to do the phone scan and appointment  and pray the dog is still available, The adoption costs have changed as well. Very frustrating.

Curelom

• MembersOnly
  • Thousand Year Egg Club
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: December 25, 2020, 12:07:40 am »
Merry Christmas from the Cabin

TWAS THE NIGHT BEFORE CHRISTMAS IN NAUVOO

The night before Christmas in the year 2020
Found folks everywhere experiencing troubles aplenty.
A plague of Old Testament magnitude
Was ravaging almost every neighborhood.

It sickened tens of millions, and other hardships it wrought.
Upheavals in everyone’s everyday lives it brought.
Jobs were lost, businesses closed down, schools out – or in?
People separated from their friends or their kin.

Along with the pestilence of Biblical size,
Wildfires in California had darkened the skies.
Volcanoes, floods, and famine struck in many locations
Along with contention and conflict of human creation.

“Why can’t we all just get along?” many of us asked.
In America, a peaceful election was almost too much to ask.
Everywhere we look, we wonder if there’s hope,
As beleaguered humans struggle to cope.

But – look up there in the Christmas sky!
A brilliant star beckons, drawing us nigh –
The symbol of God’s unending mercy and grace.
His arm outstretched to every member of the human race.

So even if for a little while, before we start fighting again,
Let’s make our Cabin a little piece of heaven.

And now... a special surprise from the Cabin critters.

’Twas the night before Christmas in the Nauvoo neighborhood.
The pups and the kitties were being so good!
The pets were all sleeping, or so it would seem
That sugar-plum fairies danced through each furry dream.

Finished were all the shopping, baking, and adorning,
Wrapping and labeling, preparing for Christmas morning.
Mail was sent off in hopes of on-time delivery
To faraway loved ones, missionaries, and military.

Something was up, the critters could sense,
And they became perfect angels—no more pretense.
They wanted that visit by Santa and his elves,
So those ornery fur-balls were their very best selves!

But Hound Dog was awake, going over his plot,
While Annabelle silently rehearsed her own part.
Pepper couldn't see, but could hear and bark.
And Punkin had eyes like radar in the dark.

The two youngest pets were still full of fun and tricks.
They weren’t really new anymore – they’d come in ‘06,
Dreyfuss the sheep dog was hard-working and smart,
A shaggy white coat covered a big canine heart.

Black and white Ivie was a Salt Lake kitty.
She’d been rescued and healed by the shelter in the city.
All the pets living in the shadow of Nauvoo’s steeple
Hatched a Christmas plot to surprise their people.

Parrot had snuck back from wherever he'd been
And was perched on the window sill, peering in.
At the stroke of eleven, he gave a low squawk
And the other critters went to their work.

Hound dashed outside and dug up his bones
That he'd been hiding in a pile of stones.
Annabelle went to her own secret den
And brought back fresh mice--there must have been ten.

Punkin had a hideaway where her prizes were kept:
Sparrows and finches peacefully slept.
She corralled a dozen and returned to the house,
Along the way catching another stray mouse.

Dreyfuss helped herd each little mouse and bird,
While Ivie made sure the Incabitants weren’t disturbed.
The furred and feathered friends in no time at all
Had their “gifts” lined up along the Cabin wall.

The best thing about the "prey": it was all still living.
The pets had planned on this special night of giving
To their favorite humans, the Incabitants of Nauvoo
Who fed and sheltered and loved them too.

Just before midnight, Pepper went from bed to bed,
Giving each sleeper a nudge in the head.
As the clock struck twelve, Parrot squawked loud and clear,
"Rise and shine, people, Santa is here!"

The folks of Nauvoo were suddenly wide-eyed,
Looking at what the pets had assembled inside.
The dogs had their bones cleaned, shiny and nice.
The cats were tending live birdies and mice.

As if that weren’t enough, there was yet more:
Long-lost Smiley Owl fluttered through the door,
Carefully carrying a living dove,
The world-wide symbol of peace and love.

Smiley Owl also brought a special message to show
From a guest we had hosted years ago:
A cat that came as a stow-away from an Israeli dock
Sent “Happy Hanukkah” wishes to the Nauvoo flock.

Another guest from years past was there:
Koda, a happy and healthy polar bear.
He’d spent some time here for recuperation
From a painful root canal operation.

Another polar bear, Cranbeary, came here to recover
From a broken leg caused by her too-ardent lover.
They patched up their differences and have their own brood,
And this year they’ve joined the critters in the ‘hood

For the animal festivities of Christmas Eve.
But the cubs needed their sleep, so they had to leave
Fairly early. But Cranbeary wanted to introduce them all
To our critters who helped her recover so well.

A bright, noisy flock gathered on the Cabin sill.
“Meet the Wild Parrots of Telegraph Hill,”
Parrot squawked. “They’ve heard so much about Nauvoo,
They flew out from San Francisco to see if it was true.” 

Even Cockroach extended a Christmas greeting
As he took a break from his perpetual eating.
He slowly, timidly held out a tiny tidbit;
It was all he could hold, but he wanted us to have it.

Now, not all critters are popular with some Incabitants;
The forests hold some “scary” inhabitants.
So Parrot brought veggies and sunflower seed fritters
As gifts for those who didn’t want real critters.

Merry Christmas from Annabelle, Dreyfuss, and Hound;
Pepper and Ivie, who were lost and then found;
Loveable Punkin, our orange Halloween kitty,
Parrot, who’s at home in the woods or the city.

Spirit pets are also part of our menagerie.
Laurie’s furry friends come from across the sea.
Tellulah is a homebody, Oberon’s big and clever.
They’re spirit cats, which means they’ll be here forever.

There’s Mungo and Teazer, and Mandee Meree,
And other critters whose people we may or may not see.
We have goldfish, canaries, cows, goats, and poodles.
They and their humans will always be virtual Nauvoodles.

A big flock of critters, a world of love and cheer
Along with the wonderful Incabitants here.
Happy holidays from all in the Cabin at Nauvoo,
For Christmas, and Hanukkah and Kwanzaa too.

Our Father loves all His children and His critters too,
And watches over everyone here in Nauvoo.
Little Punkin just burrowed close and said how
She feels the Christmas spirit in Nauvoo right now.

Our Cabin critters are happy—because their humans are.
Being happy with us—that’s what all pets wish for.
People are still suffering, some jobless or ill,
But Nauvoo is a place where we all feel good will.

We’ll do our best to help those all around
Be fed, clothed, and sheltered, safe and sound.
We’ll pray for a better, healthier new year
For our Earth and all who dwell on it, far and near.

The old star led the Magi to where the Christ Child lay,
But wise men and women still seek Him today.
Joyful wishes from the Cabin to all people and nations,
And peace in the new year to all God's creations.

The following users thanked this post: pnr, Roper, Sparky

Curelom

• MembersOnly
  • Thousand Year Egg Club
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: January 08, 2021, 03:34:18 am »
Anyone home?

Oh, Punkin is awake. I knew you'd be waiting for me. I brought some salmon trimmings, but you have to share. Yes, the dogs get some, & so do I. I'll poach them in some weak chicken broth. But not until tomorrow, if you want to get on my bed tonight. 🤭

** Puts salmon trimmings in fridge. **

What a week. A couple nights at the Cabin will be like a vacation. I'm going to sit on the deck for awhile & listen to the coyotes, have some hot spiced apple cider, then go toes-up.

Curelom

• MembersOnly
  • Thousand Year Egg Club
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: January 24, 2021, 04:53:19 pm »
FYI to our critters: this is not happening here at the Cabin. Don't even think about suggesting it.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/lifestyle/lifestyle-buzz/15-people-contract-covid-from-attending-cat-s-birthday-party/ar-BB1d39pb?ocid=msedgntp

We will be having one celebration for all of you sometime in the spring, & the entire Nauvoodle population will not be invited, only Incabitants. We will observe strict health precautions. Guests will be allowed to pet or feed you (hand sanitizing required before & after), but not pick you up or put their faces near yours. Violators will be 86'ed for the rest of the day (two-footers) or confined to quarters (four-footers) in a pet carrier with water, a toy, regular feedings, & 3 visits per day for 48 hours.

AndrewR

• MembersOnly
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: January 25, 2021, 10:38:06 am »
Incabitants

What a great word.
Don't ask me, I only live here.
Nauvoodle since March 2005 #1412

The following users thanked this post: Curelom, Sparky

Curelom

• MembersOnly
  • Thousand Year Egg Club
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: January 26, 2021, 12:43:00 am »
Incabitants

What a great word.

We also have a Porch here at the Cabin. At Old Nauvoo, the Porch & Cabin were separate, & people could be Porchupines as well as Incabitants.

So now, those who live at or frequent our special little retreat can go by either name.

The following users thanked this post: Iggy

* Recent Topics

topic Will the Lord allow a faithful member of the church to go hungry or homeless?
[General Discussion]
Jason
Today at 09:53:21 am
topic COVID-19
[Covid-19]
Jason
Today at 09:43:58 am
topic Cancel Culture
[General Discussion]
Hobbes
March 01, 2021, 02:24:12 pm
topic Current Events - US Politics Edition
[Politics]
N3uroTypical
February 28, 2021, 12:44:11 pm
topic The Feel-Good Thread
[Current Events & News]
Palmon
February 27, 2021, 09:34:52 pm
topic President Bingham's Seminary Teachers
[Latter-day Saint Life]
Curelom
February 25, 2021, 04:09:43 pm
topic The 1 true diet
[Health and Wellness]
Palmon
February 22, 2021, 05:31:02 am
topic D&C 13
[Virtual Sunday School]
cook
February 21, 2021, 06:30:06 am
topic Impeachment
[Politics]
Roper
February 18, 2021, 03:36:47 pm
topic opinions valued
[General Discussion]
JLM
February 16, 2021, 05:41:16 pm
topic What are you reading?
[Literature & Poetry]
Curelom
February 13, 2021, 12:47:10 am
topic I finally found a doctor who listened
[Member News]
Palmon
February 11, 2021, 08:56:31 pm
topic Thoughts on Pathways, public health, my future generally? :)
[General Discussion]
Sparky
February 10, 2021, 06:16:29 pm
topic Seeing miracles all over
[Latter-day Saint Life]
cook
February 10, 2021, 11:02:30 am
topic Greetings from England
[Introductions]
nitasmile
February 06, 2021, 06:17:04 pm

* Calendar