Welcome to New Nauvoo

Author Topic: Cabin 2.0  (Read 8289 times)

Curelom

• MembersOnly
  • Thousand Year Egg Club
    • View Profile
Re: Cabin 2.0
« Reply #120 on: September 21, 2020, 08:46:32 pm »
Don't be so grumpy, Incabitants. I don't like Halloween either, but we can put up with a few kids for a short time on one night. And this year we're likely to see fewer since not many parents want cooties hitchhiking home in their kids' loot bags.

Our critters are not yappy or yowly. They are dignified animals & don't cause trouble for anyone, except that they do sometimes want lots of attention. Even people who don't like dogs or cats have taken to ours. If I find out anyone has given them candy or other bad stuff, the Scrooges are getting giant lumps of coal in their Christmas stockings. :( And I'll rat them out to their kids.  ;D

We've had fairly decent air in the last few days in the Bay Area. But the wildfires are still burning all over the state & the smoke doesn't stay in one place or respect county lines or street addresses, so we're still likely to get it for awhile. The fire north of Ketchup Country has taken off & grown wildly over the last day or so.

If anyone is here from fire or hurricane areas anywhere, you can hang out & enjoy some virtual peace & quiet & have a bite. There's always food around here, either from our supply or what people bring. I set up a taco buffet in the kitchen with crisp corn or soft wheat tortillas, beef, chicken, shredded lettuce, diced tomatoes, cheese, & salsa. There's cheesecake & fruit salad for dessert. Everyone's welcome. :P We also have bedrooms & a guest bathroom in case you want to stay over.

Yes, Punkin, I hear the birds. Let's sit outside for a few minutes & listen to them.

The following users thanked this post: Nottoc

Nottoc

• MembersOnly
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: September 28, 2020, 01:35:38 am »
Halloween and Independence Day are my favorite holidays. I love fireworks, and I love the imagination that is displayed on Halloween.

Although this Thanksgiving may be a good one. We're planning on going to a renaissance faire. Thanksgiving dinner will be a day late, but we'll be having fried turkey legs, Scottish eggs, shepherd's pie, and other such fare.

Curelom

• MembersOnly
  • Thousand Year Egg Club
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: September 29, 2020, 01:40:09 am »
Nottoc, would you like to be in charge of Thanksgiving at the Cabin? The Renaissance Faires in the California part of the Cabin & the Great Dickens Faire in San Francisco were cancelled back in the spring due to the pandemic, & many people will miss them. I haven’t been to one in ages, but I know CrowGirl likes them. If you can put together a theme holiday, we’ll invite all of Nauvoo & people could have a nice safe holiday. Everyone really needs something festive. If you put together a shopping list, some of the Incabitants will buy the stuff. All cooties are virtual here, so no one will get any dread diseases.

Here is an interesting article about orange cats.
https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/blog/the-modern-heart/202009/why-orange-cats-are-special-according-science

What makes them different, why orange cats are friendly, & the difference between urban & country orange cats. Most orange cats are boys, but we have an orange she-cat. This is Punkin, who likes animals & most people.

LMAshton

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: September 29, 2020, 10:16:11 am »
Curelom, Tellulah is a dilute orange (as in closer to peach color than orange) and also a female. Just as an FYI. She's also extremely affectionate.

Curelom

• MembersOnly
  • Thousand Year Egg Club
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: September 29, 2020, 11:39:28 pm »
Yes, I remember Tellulah. She's a spirit cat, right? Our critters got along well with her when she would drop in at the Old Cabin, but I haven't seen her here in awhile.

This side of the Cabin has thick fog tonight & the air is a little cleaner now, but it has to be awful out in the wildfire zones.  :( 

The pets are out on the deck enjoying the cool, fresh night and listening to the owls & coyotes.

Speaking of air, these parrots in a British zoo had to be separated because the made the air too "blue." They were all donated by owners & put together after completing quarantine, & I guess they picked up each other's bad habits. 🤣

https://www.cnn.com/travel/article/swearing-parrots-moved-park-scli-gbr-intl/index.html
« Last Edit: September 30, 2020, 12:54:28 am by Curelom »

Nottoc

• MembersOnly
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: September 30, 2020, 12:05:16 am »
I would be pleased to assist, not sure if I'm the right person to lead. But, I think the first thing is to look at menu options. Starting with some of the options I already mentioned:

Scotch Eggs
Shepherd's Pie
No link for a fried turkey leg. But, cut a leg off stick it in a fryer, how hard is that.

This fair I'm going to is quite large and has a larger selection than the closer faire I go: Texas Renaissance Faire Looking through the selection they have quite an international selection. Though I've seen a selection on a few menu's called The Dagger. I don't know what that is. Does, anyone know what it might be?

Over the next while I search and post additional recipes for faire food. Also, these are the first recipes I found, not necessarily the best.

Curelom

• MembersOnly
  • Thousand Year Egg Club
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: September 30, 2020, 03:18:15 am »
Speaking of friendly orange cats. This one is also a girl. This is a great story!  :)

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-scotland-edinburgh-east-fife-54329606

LMAshton

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: September 30, 2020, 10:20:10 am »
Yes, I remember Tellulah. She's a spirit cat, right? Our critters got along well with her when she would drop in at the Old Cabin, but I haven't seen her here in awhile.
Yup, she and Oberon are both spirit cats. I'm surprised you haven't seen them in a while. They're always here unless they're visiting me. Maybe they're napping under the furniture or burrowed into blankets?

Also, cute kitty story! Thanks!

Nottoc, I'll offer up my brownies and sourdough bread. Also, butter tarts and Nanaimo bars, both of which are Canadian desserts.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2020, 10:24:00 am by LMAshton »

Curelom

• MembersOnly
  • Thousand Year Egg Club
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: October 02, 2020, 07:34:59 pm »
This cougar cub was orphaned in one of the big California wildfires & was found with severely burned paws & other injuries. Thanks to the firefighter, Shasta County SO, DFW, & Oakland Zoo for taking care of this helpless cat.

https://www.sfgate.com/bayarea/article/Orphaned-cougar-cub-treated-for-severe-burns-at-15617178.php

He was orphaned too young & can never be released into the wild. Our critters have fallen in love with him & are already lobbying to have him come & live in our tame forest once he recovers. We'll see about that, Ivie.
😌
« Last Edit: October 30, 2020, 05:31:59 am by Curelom »

Jana at Jade House

• MembersOnly
  • Express of All She Surveys
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: October 06, 2020, 10:27:41 am »
Happy Harvest from Jade House

https://photos.app.goo.gl/e1cqDgq1eqvzP9bu7

The following users thanked this post: LMAshton

Curelom

• MembersOnly
  • Thousand Year Egg Club
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: October 06, 2020, 08:53:09 pm »
Ooooh, thank you, Jana! I saw your pumpkin harvest on the other thread too, wow!

Look at that, Punkin.  8) Yes, that is how you got your name. You're not such a bright orange, but you're a cheerful sight just like all of this beautiful fall color.

Redd

• MembersOnly
  • when life gives you lemons, make grape juice!
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: October 23, 2020, 04:49:47 pm »
I straightened out the freezer this morning...I found a whole ham at the bottom of it!  I was looking to see what I had for Thanksgiving  and deciding what I still needed and there it was.  Okay, what I need now is celery, potatoes and cranberries. Hick was offered a different job at a slightly higher wage and he took it.  I am not too happy about it, but he is confidant about the change. Currently he is paid every Friday, before that he had weekly unemployment, but I do not know when he starts payroll with the new company so I wanted to make sure my freezers and food storage would be sufficient for continuous meals when I am not sure of shopping.

About two weeks and we have the US elections, about 6 until Thanksgiving, 12 'til Christmas and 12 days following Christmas I set up and decorate my tax kiosk. I am settling in here with a large cup of peppermint tea, my joints are killing me and critters are welcome to help keep them warm.

The following users thanked this post: LMAshton, Sparky

LMAshton

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: October 24, 2020, 08:58:45 am »
Redd, it is good to see you here. :)

Everything is same old, same old here, which is not a bad thing.

We've been getting a lot of really foggy mornings, so foggy we can't see the buildings across the street or the street below us. I don't know if this is normal for here or unusual in its frequency.

The following users thanked this post: Sparky

Curelom

• MembersOnly
  • Thousand Year Egg Club
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: November 09, 2020, 03:55:44 am »
Hello, Incabitants! It's time to turn in for the week.  ;D Yes, Punkin, you can join me, but I have to give you a pet breath tablet first. I saw you eating that salmon-based cat food earlier.  ::) And you have to be quiet while I finish reading Ecclesiastes. I'm trying to include some Old Testament or New Testament in scripture every few days. Tomorrow I'll read some from Acts.

Another critter is coming to the woods nearby. Once this little guy calms down & gets a full health check-up, the SPCA will let him come here. But he has to live in the woods & not be fed or pampered, or else he will become a pest & get in trouble again.

https://www.smdailyjournal.com/news/bay_area/san-francisco-firefighters-rescue-baby-raccoon-wedged-in-tree-name-it-freedom/article_d15edc94-222c-11eb-a79d-c30cb3d1bb60.html\\

Only a week or two ago, we were still having fairly warm weather, but it has turned chilly. It finally feels like fall, & even like winter is near. There has been a foot of snow in some of the Sierra Nevada near Lake Tahoe. Thanksgiving is late this year, so we might get some snow then at the Cabin.

Curelom

• MembersOnly
  • Thousand Year Egg Club
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: November 26, 2020, 12:40:53 am »
I know Incabitants have been in & out of here, mostly because there's different food in the kitchen from day to day. Thanks to all for keeping us supplied when you make grocery trips. I can also tell because the pets are fed & looked after. They are always after TLC & will put on a needy, "poor me" act to get it because they know people fall for it, but they are not neglected.  ::)

Since this is a most unusual Thanksgiving, here is something different we can do. I saw this story about a vintage dinner, & since no one seemed eager to do a lot of work this year, let's try it. I will roast a small turkey (not expecting huge numbers), & anyone can bring the 1950s dish that you think you can do best. If our gourmet feast isn't a raving success, we can give it to the critters & call for pizza, Chinese or Mexican, or just starve.

https://www.sfgate.com/food/article/Vintage-Thanksgiving-recipes-14847810.php?IPID=SFGate-HP-CP-Spotlight

* Calendar

December 2020
Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
1 2 3 4 [5]
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30 31

No calendar events were found.

* Recent Posts

Re: Backyard Chickens by LMAshton
[Today at 01:01:26 pm]