Welcome to New Nauvoo

Author Topic: Cabin 2.0  (Read 3167 times)

Iggy

• MembersOnly
    • View Profile
Love Lamb Too
« Reply #75 on: April 22, 2020, 06:28:22 pm »
Good to see you Curelom. I was wondering about you since you haven't been on the forum much these days. I absolutely love lamb. I was thrilled to find a restaurant that server Rack of Lamb on their menu when I moved here to the coast in 1979. Every year on my 1st wedding anniversary [or close to it] we would eat at this restaurant so I could get me Rack of Lamb.

Then in 2004 I got divorced and went to this restaurant for my Finally Got Rid of 290 #'s of Mean & Ugly dinner [day the divorce was finalized] and had my Rack of Lamb. Still fantastic, but a bit more costly.

Fast forward to 2016, new marriage, new health problems, went to restaurant with a girlfriend to see what changes in seating they had made, if any [new husband can't sit in booths and I remembered that ALL their seating was booths] nope still all booths. Ordered Rack of Lamb. It is more expensive than Steak & Lobster !! It is still wonderfully good.

Now, regarding the health issues. I have a sick pancreas. I am on a low, low fat diet. I didn't eat the bread and butter thinking that would be okay. My vegetables were sauteed in vegetable stock and not butter at my request thinking that would be okay. At home 4 hours later I am in so much pain I don't know what to do. We call our TeleNurse Emergency Care. It was the rack of lamb - way too much fat for me. 45 minutes on the phone with a wonderful Nurse easing me through the really rough patch, sitting very still, sipping plain water till the worst of it was over. I never would have thought that lamb has a lot of fat in it.

Thankfully I have the Cabin to come to and can enjoy lamb here.

My Mom would make Lamb Stroganoff. She would have the butcher cut up lamb in "fork size bites", then use her beef stroganoff recipe. That way it feeds a lot more people and doesn't hurt the budget doing so. We made home made noodles to serve with it. Once, the butcher's apprentice cut up mutton bits and pieces. As soon as it got hot we all could smell the difference. Mom had our older brother drive her to the butcher shop with the partially cooked mutton. She walked in and asked the owner to smell the meat. He apologized, and got her some lamb and added an extra amount - no extra charge. That was a learning experience for me. Dad would NOT eat mutton. After smelling it cooking, I won't either.

My siblings in Zion here in my RL Ward are having behavior problems with their fur babies too. One single sister has found that if she closes her bedroom door about 3/4 of the way and leaves the bedroom curtains open, her little dog is happy to escape her for several hours during the day. He lays on the window sill and watches the birds outside, as well as the outside cats. When he wants attention, he gets in her lap. The EQ Leader went over and put up a quick fence around her back yard area [postage stamp size] for her dog to be out in unattended. He loves it first thing in the morning. She loves it too - too much of fur baby was nearly too much for her too.

My only contribution to the Cabin pantry is fresh, homemade white bread. Finally found flour after three weeks of none at the stores. My Cash & Carry [now called SmartServices] has had it all along in 25 & 50 pound bags, as well as yeast in the 1 & 5 pound bricks, sugar [all sizes & varieties] and powdered 1% milk. They only had Lard in the 5 gallon bucket. WAY TOO much for me. I called the sisters and the two brothers who make their own bread & pie crusts if they wanted to share the Lard - nope, they just bought what Safeway, WalMart and Fred Meyers had in the 1/2 gallon bucket. So I bought some of the small bricks at JC Market-Thriftway. For a 3 loaf batch I only use 3 teaspoons of lard. I also use the lard to grease the pans. I weigh out my dough ~ 1.47 pounds per loaf. Made two batches this last time. Gave a loaf each to my neighbors. Mechelle next door and Diana down the street.

Oh, with the three loaves I brought to the cabin is a pound of butter and a quart jar of local unprocessed honey. No fat restrictions, no calories here.  ;D

The following users thanked this post: Curelom

Curelom

• MembersOnly
  • Thousand Year Egg Club
    • View Profile
Re: Cabin 2.0
« Reply #76 on: April 25, 2020, 02:24:42 am »
I don't think I've ever had mutton. Not sure I've ever seen it in a store here, & I figure that Americans who eat it are probably the growers who raise their own. Lamb is rare enough, although major stores like Safeway & Lucky have it. Most of the lamb I see is from New Zealand, but I read a story in the DN recently about Utah sheep farmers & how they're worried about their surplus & wish Americans would eat more domestic lamb.

Yesterday was the special age 60+ hours at Safeway, & it was about a half hour wait to get in. They control the entrance to prevent crowding inside. But it's been orderly every time I've gone - I haven't seen pushing, grabbing, or hair-pulling. And hallelujah, I saw hand sanitizer & TP, but I don't need either of them & don't believe in hoarding & depriving others if I have enough. Really, the big reason to go to the store is to get fresh produce, meat, or a deli treat. I like Safeway's chicken, coleslaw, & several other salads. I look at all my sardines, Campbell's soup, quinoa, rice, steel-cut oats, grits, frozen peas & corn, frozen meat, etc. & I think, d***it, I want a grapefruit! (or fresh tomatoes, blueberries, or whatever).

Now & then I go out just to get out. I don't go anywhere, just drive around & look at what little there is going on, maybe sit somewhere & read or do a puzzle. There's lots of areas to walk near home, but everyone needs a little variety. A couple of times I've gotten take-out food for some variety. We're so easily spoiled in America, where we have so many choices.  ::)

CrowGirl

• MembersOnly
  • Nauvoo Member 401, July 2001; lurker since 1999.
    • View Profile
    • The MAHALO5 Space
« Reply #77 on: April 25, 2020, 01:26:11 pm »
Dad would NOT eat mutton. After smelling it cooking, I won't either.

I used to think that way, too, until we were invited to a family’s home in Turkey during Sacrifice Festival.  Each family, if you can afford it, buys a sheep and has it slaughtered (hopefully at your local mosque and not your front yard!), and donates ⅓ to the poor, another ⅓ for your family, and the remaining for you.  I’d heard the horror stories, and was prepared to be polite.  I didn’t need to worry.  The house just had pleasant cooking smells, and it was the best meal I had in Turkey—and that is saying a lot.  The look on CrowSon’s face when he tasted it—swept away to some Tastebud Valhalla.  Maybe it just depends how it is prepared.  If you have to eat it for a religious holiday every year, I guess you would learn to make it tasty and spiced perfectly.

Thank you for the bread.  I found cake flour at my WinCo; I can work with that, but have not felt motivated to do so.

Curelom, I understand.  We are going through produce so quickly here.  The tomatoes are good most of the time, but non-iceberg lettuce is harder to find.  CrowDaughter finally told us that raw spinach is too spongy a texture for her to enjoy.  Now she tells us  ::).

As of yesterday, my county’s stay at home/house arrest order will end next week.  My small city needs to get restarted, pronto.  The age demographic is older, so I won’t complain about the social distancing or outdoor mask requirements, or keeping Mother home, if needed.  Just let people go back to work.
Jump off the cliff and build your wings on the way down.
-Ray Bradbury

LMAshton

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: April 26, 2020, 12:31:31 am »
About mutton - in some places, mutton is old goat. In other places, it can be another word for lamb. How strongly it smells depends on how old the goat is and how it's prepared. We've had mutton many times and it's been good, but we also have it prepared the way that people who cook with it frequently know how to do to maximize flavour.

The following users thanked this post: Iggy, CrowGirl

Redd

• MembersOnly
  • when life gives you lemons, make grape juice!
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: May 09, 2020, 09:20:42 am »
So the Church is starting to have living ordinances in small amounts in select locations to take place. Thank goodness! Of course, we Nauvoodles have our forum to escape the world, but nothing beats the temple.  I am looking forward to going back, but this is New Mexico, nothing goes too fast here. 
  In my little bit of desert we have at least 5 families in a 25 acre space for a total of 14 people. The elders quorum is delivering roses to the sisters in the ward today, a family who moved away is putting together a primary group to sing the mothers day songs on our ward Facebook page, and our little twig is having a pot luck following our one hour service. 
  I am leaving fresh cut asparagus from my garden. It is just grown like gang busters!

The following users thanked this post: LMAshton, Curelom, Roper

Curelom

• MembersOnly
  • Thousand Year Egg Club
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: May 10, 2020, 01:48:21 am »
We all need a good laugh, & because this is The Cabin, we all love animals. So you have to see this hilarious "family portrait." If they weren't obviously someone else's four-footed delinquents, I'd swear the protagonists were Dreyfuss & Punkin.  ;D

https://www.hindustantimes.com/it-s-viral/angsty-feline-doesn-t-wish-to-be-part-of-this-doggo-family-portrait-watch/story-ouJt0dtc5ZnuNI3YK9uuXL.html

The following users thanked this post: Iggy, Sparky

Redd

• MembersOnly
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: May 13, 2020, 12:33:11 pm »
Good morning.  I am taking a break from all of my administrative duties in my house (get appointment for MD, check on dental insurance, get appointment for DDS, clear-out email, print out pay stubs for tax work, plan out meals etc) I am going to sit on this comfy recliner and put my feet up. It so nice to see the roses starting to bloom.

The following users thanked this post: LMAshton

Iggy

• MembersOnly
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: May 13, 2020, 05:38:40 pm »
For the first time since I moved in here ~ 2011 ~ my yellow and deep red rhodies are very late to bloom. The neighbors roses have bloomed and the petals all fallen. My plum tree has bloomed and has set fruit and my neighbors green apple tree is finally blooming as is his Azelea bushes.

I have a plant in my front that I have no idea where it came from. Looks like a snake plant/Mother-In-Laws tongue. The deer ate all of my tulips, daffodils and hyacinths. I never had a chance to even smell them!

If I sit in a recliner Redd, I'll fall asleep! That is how I take care of my insomnia. Don't like doing that because when I try to get up it feels like ALL of my bones have fused together and my muscles frozen up.

Redd

• MembersOnly
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: May 14, 2020, 09:48:17 am »
I do a lot of on line shopping. I like Wish, I can get lots of interesting thing cheap. Well the  products I bought in late February and early March are finally being delivered. Yesterday my compression socks arrived, and for the last couple of weeks the inks and fountain pens I  bought have been coming in. I ordered multiple colors of ink cartridges for these pens, and I ordered different colored pens, and different sized nibs,  for using different colored inks. My various colors of ink showed up, but the pens!!! I received 6 beautiful wood pens, two for each of the nib sizes....but they are ALL blond wood!  I am going to have to flag them some how to denote size and color, grrr. Not that it matters now, all of the missionaries that I was writing to are home again and I have no one to write to.   I am going to set some inks, pens and nice stationary on the secretary desk here by the window for any one who wants to try their hand at calligraphy or just nice penmanship.

The following users thanked this post: LMAshton, Iggy

Curelom

• MembersOnly
  • Thousand Year Egg Club
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: May 18, 2020, 02:15:04 pm »
Look at all the colorful flowers! Someone has put the time to good use while sheltering & brightened up our surroundings. Now we should have even more birds, bees, & butterflies hanging out here. It's supposed to rain today & tomorrow, but when it dries out, let's have a picnic out here.

Memorial Day weekend is coming & travel won't be back to normal (except maybe in Wisconsin, Georgia, or Texas where everything is wide open & people can take their germs anywhere they want). So most of the Nauvoodles will be staying home. Let's do it then.

CrowGirl, how is your mother doing? Jana, how are you feeling?

Isn't this garden nice, Punkin? Aren't you glad you decided to make the move from the Old Cabin?

« Last Edit: May 18, 2020, 02:30:01 pm by Curelom »

Curelom

• MembersOnly
  • Thousand Year Egg Club
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: May 21, 2020, 10:47:43 pm »
Let's do Easter dinner on Saturday at the Cabin.

After Easter I bought a couple of hams for less than half price, which have been in my freezer. The store stocked up on less Easter & Passover stuff than usual because of social distancing & people having fewer gatherings, but still had lots of leftovers. More than two months later, it feels like time for a social event. I'll have the ham, coleslaw, fruit salad, mashed potatoes, a green bean casserole with bacon & real (not canned) mushrooms, & something for dessert, not sure what. Cheesecake? Peach cobbler? If anyone wishes, you can bring one to add to whatever I decide on.

The critters have missed the usual activity & will enjoy having everyone visit. I'm inviting the Clowers family up the hill & the folks from the retired police horse farm. Since we're virtual here, social distancing can be a bit less strict than in RW.

People can drop in starting around 1:00, & we'll have dinner about 3:00. Feel free to bring musical instruments, board games, or other amusements in case folks want to hang out afterward.

Curelom

• MembersOnly
  • Thousand Year Egg Club
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: May 22, 2020, 07:17:01 pm »
Let's move our dinner to Sunday. Most of the prep can be done on Saturday, & if anyone's wards are having virtual meetings, they'll be over by early afternoon. Ramadan doesn't end until Saturday night. We're in a warm spell now that should continue over the weekend, so maybe we can use the picnic tables behind the Cabin.

Adding roast lamb, chicken, a pasta salad with peppers, tomatoes, & artichokes, & more fruit. Hopefully there will be plenty of choices for everyone.

Shoo, Punkin. I wasn't talking to you.  ;D  Unless some generous Incabitants are willing to share, all of you critters will starve.

Jana at Jade House

• MembersOnly
  • Express of All She Surveys
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: May 29, 2020, 05:57:28 pm »
Today 70 years on earth....whoa when did I get OLD.?

The following users thanked this post: Roper, Sparky

Roper

• Administrator
  • Thousand Year Egg Club
  • Earning my spurs.
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: May 29, 2020, 08:44:41 pm »
Happy Birthday! You still have at least another 30 years. What are you going to do with all that time?
All grown-ups were once children...but only few of them remember it. ― Antoine de Saint-Exupéry, "The Little Prince."

Redd

• MembersOnly
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: May 30, 2020, 09:57:46 am »
Happy belated birthday, Jana! 

* Calendar

June 2020
Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
1 [2] 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30