Welcome to New Nauvoo

Author Topic: Rambling by Iggy - book 2  (Read 1366 times)

Iggy

• MembersOnly
    • View Profile
Re: Rambling by Iggy - book 2
« Reply #15 on: May 18, 2020, 01:34:22 pm »
They contain all of our [back to 4 sets of Great Grands to my siblings] birth certificates, marriage, and death certificates. Some clothes, quilt tops, baby clothes, papers, pictures, etc. They hold irreplaceable documents.

What will happen to them if something happens to me? They will go to which ever neice/nephew who can give them a dry home. The birth certificates will go to those who they belong to. Like my Uncle and all his daughters who are still living. His mother was the holder of those documents and at her passing they should have got to him after being copied and kept by my mom who then was the holder of documents. At her passing, she designated that I was to be the keeper - but I was in a bad state and asked my sisters to hang on to them until I moved into a real house.

I decided not to go get them because my then husband was burning nearly everything I owned - so it took nearly 8 years for me to get out on my own and into a real house. By then little sister had stolen everything. Getting all of mom's furniture [kitchen table, chairs, china hutch, two sofas, three upholstered rockers, 4 beds, linens, towels, blankets and all of Great Grandma's quilts]wasn't enough for her.

Palmon

• MembersOnly
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 18, 2020, 02:42:38 pm »
Good luck in getting them.

pnr

• MembersOnly
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 18, 2020, 04:42:37 pm »
I'd bet the cost of having them shipped wouldn't be more than $1200, if you can get them to agree to ship them.

Maybe you could find someone in GA willing to digitally preserve them, and then you wouldn't need anything shipped.
Nauvoo 1270, Feb 2005

Iggy

• MembersOnly
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 16, 2020, 08:23:48 pm »
May through July has been difficult. I have fallen twice, been flipped out of chairs twice. This last fall resulted in me going to the ER for stitches.

Got up from a nap today and my eye is swollen and turning black. Have attached pictures of my Owie.

The following users thanked this post: Roper

pnr

• MembersOnly
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 16, 2020, 09:47:21 pm »
Nice to pair Iggy's words and tales with a face, even under such unfortunate circumstances.   May you heal fast and stay healed long.
Nauvoo 1270, Feb 2005

The following users thanked this post: Iggy, Roper, Sparky

LMAshton

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 17, 2020, 08:25:43 am »
Aw, poor Iggy! I'm so sorry you're injured. But yes, it's nice to put a face with your name and stories. I hope you heal fast.

Iggy

• MembersOnly
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 15, 2020, 11:06:47 pm »
My cut is healed and the scab gone. There is still a bit of a bump between it and my eyebrow. My left eye is still a bit swollen to.

My scalp has been tingly and numb and then itches so dang bad I can barely stand it. Can only brush my hair on the right side.

Went to my hairdresser and got my hair cut about 1.5-2 inches all over. Now I can just rub my hair gently with the heel of my hands and run my fingers through to *comb* it. Also discovered that at the sorest/itchiest part there is a dent in my scalp/head. Talked with the Dr via TEAMS and he said that with the depth of the laceration that dent may stay for a month - two- or forever. My scull is not cracked and there was no blood leaked into the brain.

The following users thanked this post: Roper, Sparky

LMAshton

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 16, 2020, 10:57:20 am »
So, this is all good news, right, Iggy? It sounds like you're healing even if you do have a permanent/semi-permanent bump.

Iggy

• MembersOnly
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 16, 2020, 04:38:06 pm »
Yes Laurie Good News!
More good news:
***I take Methotrexate for my RA and Fibromyalgia along with 2mg if Folic Acid to counter the two side effects that Metho hits me with which is painful sores on the insides of my cheeks and hair loss.

I really don't care about the hair loss. Isn't that why Heavenly Father gifted us with a plethora of wigs?? The mouth sores are another thing. They occur on the insides of my cheeks and across where my teeth join as I bite down. I can use Rincinol which really helps and heals them up overnight, but then they come right back unless I take the folic acid.

One of the good side effects of the folic acid is it has caused my finger [& toe nails  :(  ] to grow fast and much stronger. Because I have false teeth  :P  I can't chew/bite my nails anymore. This is the first time in my 68 years that I have had real nails that are long and strong.

I am having difficulties typing as my nails hit the keys above where the pads of my fingers hit. Man Sakes Alive am I getting proficient at hitting that Backspace key.  ;D

On the 25th of this month I go in to the clinic [the Wound Clinic to be exact  :o ] to have my toe nails cut, my feet checked out for any wounds. On the following day I will be going to Mai's Nails for a Mani-Pedi. Get my fingernails evened out in length, probably have my left pointer nail added on to as I broke it. Have my toes cleaned up and my feet exfoliated and get polish on my fingers. I used to wear false nails when I was an evening bartender. Wore deep reds, and quite often lavenders and purples. Me and super glue were great friends. Once I quit bartending I quit the false nails. Took my real nails quite some time to heal and smooth back out. But I still bit them to the quick. Way lot of stress [ex-husband] in my life still.

*** These last three weeks we got the south side and front of the house re-sided and painted. Found two places that were rotted. One was fixed by digging out the rot from the corner of the master bedroom sub-flooring and inserting a new 2x6x 6 ft board and attaching it with stainless screws. Worked beautifully. The other was a 6 inch section of the eave on the far right at the front. Patched in a new piece of wood and secured it not only with a tie plate but with wood hardener. Those are the only rotted places in the whole house!

The gardeners were here yesterday and they dug out, rototilled the *garden* area in the front ~ 27' X 4' by 4" deep. Removed the 4" top soil/small rocks and filled in the holes along the side and back areas of "lawn". Doused the leveled out area with Crossbow vegetation killer, laid out ground cover then filled it with 4" of 1.5" gravel. Put the new hard pound in edging in around it. Eduardo redid the 18" sq. pavers at the end of the ramp for Hubby to get to the car. That man is a Masonry genius! He also gave both of MY rhododendrons trims. The smaller yellow one he cut off ALL the dead branches and the sick ones in the middle, the big deep red one he gave a "butch" hair cut and rounded it back. Looks great. Now it is my job to put the Jobes fertilizer spikes around them at the drip line then water them for about 10 minutes. We have only had rain twice this spring and summer - brown lawns every where.

My contractor is just about done making the three 5ft x 20 in x 18 inches deep flower boxes that will sit on the 27ft x 22in raised bench that will go in the newly prepared area in front of the house. The only flower pots that will go back in the *garden* area will be the big-big round pots. Two of the four will be planted with new herb plants. Not sure what will be in the other ones.

When it is the right season to plant the bulbs Eduardo will give me a list of what ones to buy. The short Gladiolas, daffodils, hyacinths, crocuses, & any more that he says. I also want to have nasturtiums cascading down out of the boxes along with violas and any other edible flowers.

Because the flower boxes are deep Gerry [Eduardo's cousin and partner] suggested using packing peanuts in the bottom rather than rocks for drainage.

When the time is right they will be back with a rented large roto-tiller to dig up the side and back yards, level it all out then we can put down sod. By then we should have the shed moved away from the back of the house and up next to the neighbor on the south side's skanky dog enclosure making a larger area for me to put in a small patio to sit a patio table, chairs, umbrella [which I will buy later] on.

*** Bought a folding cooking stand to put our Coleman two burner propane stove on. When the SHTF or a Tsunami hits we will be staying in our home rather than loading up our car and leaving. I can cook on the two burner, plus I want to get a small propane BBQ Hubby really doesn't want to get a gas operated generator, he doesn't want to store gas or diesel. We are researching getting solar refrigerated coolers to store our food.

Good News Day ~ Week ~ Month

The following users thanked this post: Sparky

LMAshton

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 17, 2020, 09:41:02 am »
I used to get painful sores on the insides of my mouth, but they were caused by fluoride in toothpaste, water, and everywhere else. Switch to non-fluoride toothpaste and it went away.

I'm glad you're doing well, Iggy. :)

The following users thanked this post: Iggy, Sparky

Iggy

• MembersOnly
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 28, 2020, 05:14:48 pm »
The front garden area is nearly done. The gardeners came and dug out by hand the 27' x 4' area, then when they felt they had removed all the ground cover, thin plastic sheeting, etc. they roto-tilled it and removed 4" of dirt and placed it in the side & back area where there were holes and ruts.

Then they filled it in with the 1.5" size gravel and placed the edging. In his home country of Mexico, Estaban must have been a Mason. He redid the pavers at the end of our ramp so Hubby can transition from the ramp to the car without difficulty. He did such a beautiful job.

My General Contractor made my flower boxes - 3 of them. They are 5'4" long, 20" wide and 18" deep. They are sturdy & heavy too. This coming Monday the gardeners will bring the packing peanuts to put in the bottom of each planter instead of rocks for better drainage.
The boxes are double lined with 6 ml plastic sheeting which we will have to punch holes through so the water can drain out.

She will take me to the landfill/dump to pick up a 1/2 yard of soil. This is where I got the gravel from - they delivered it for a delivery fee of $40.00. I have bought lots of daffodils, tulips, hyacinth bulbs. As soon as gladiola bulbs are available I am buying a bunch of them, I want to get equal amounts of the tall ones AND the short ones too.

Oh, Estaban also trimmed the two rhododendron bushes/trees. The yellow one really needs some evergreen fertilizer. Need to do that today I think.

Since we have painted the house, cleaned up the flower bed area and got the rhodies trimmed, our neighbors on each side of us are cleaning up too. When they get their fences put in, I'll see what they use. Pretty sure one is using pig fencing - if that is so, then I am going to put up 6' high cedar boards to block his lack of mowing and his little french bull dog's poo. Same for the other side, they have to put a new porch up. Rather than do another cedar fence, think I'll see if it will be more economical to plant trailing vines that stay green all year.

Another plant I love are clematis. We shall see if they will grow here at my house. 

The following users thanked this post: LMAshton, Sparky

palmetto_gal

• MembersOnly
  • Old forum #2268; registered 13 August 2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 31, 2020, 08:11:32 am »
Iggy, when my rheumatologist recommended Methotrexate for my RA, I did some online research.  I read that those who took p.o. Methotrexate experienced the painful mouth sores, but those who did the injections were able to bypass that side effect.  I elected to go for the injections.  I have never had any mouth sores.  My hair has become noticeably thinner, but the Folic Acid I take has helped somewhat.  My nails grow very quickly and are very strong.  I guess it's a trade off.  Anyhow, these are my two cents.

Iggy

• MembersOnly
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 31, 2020, 12:30:30 pm »
My insulin injections have always been the pens as I cannot do the vials, never have been able to and if it is given to me by a nurse I have to be wedged between a table and the wall and have my eyes tightly closed or else they can just wait until I faint.

The 2 mg of folic acid works great - except my hair is still thinning but man sakes alive do my nails grow fast and strong.

I went and had my first manicure in over a decade and the gal told me my nails were very healthy. Now 10 or so years ago they were in bad shape - peeling and splitting down the middle. I'll stick to the pills. Oh, my Dr's mother takes the injections and she gets the mouth sores. So I guess it is different for each person.

Iggy

• MembersOnly
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 15, 2020, 07:41:33 pm »
I went grocery shopping yesterday. Did an online order with Fred Meyers- 97 items to the tune of $397.++. BUT they didn't have 10 items and 5 of the items I wouldn't accept the substitutes. Ended up costing $186.74 with a savings of $107.44. Then I hit Safeway & Walmart for the items that Freddy's didn't have. The best substitutes in quality and savings was the Creamy Peanut butter. They were out of the 16 oz jars so they substituted the 28 oz jars for $0.99 each and the beef chuck roast I wanted they subbed with bottom round- $2.00 a pound more so I got it for free. It says $10.00 on the sub list, but there is no beef roast for any amount on the final receipt!

We were totally out of Husband's frozen entree's and breakfasts, bread, lunch meat and garden salad fixings. I create my own salad *bowls*. Bagged garden greens, mixed with bagged fresh stir fry veggies sans the two bags of seasonings. I bought two 10 cup plastic containers, took 1/2 bag of the garden greens and 1/2 bag of the romaine w/veggies then added 1/2 bag of the stir fry to each. Wallah - Iggy's Salad Bowl for 4 in each container.

I also bought a Boneless Pork Loin for $4.99 a pound. Will cut it into 1/3rds, place in a zip bag add marinade [different flavors for each], freeze, then once frozen will package in a vacuumed baggie. That will last about 9 months to a year in the freezer.

The beef roast will be one meal w/roasted potatoes, roasted baby carrots, roasted fresh onions & celery. The left over meat -- which will easily be half of it --- will be cut into child size bites and made into Iggy's home made Beef Vegetable soup using the surplus frozen vegetables, and canned diced tomatoes. I bought two boxed Beef Broth to add to the cubed beef broth I already have, but think it won't be enough. The only "vegetable" I am NOT adding to the soup is corn. Corn is a grain, NOT a vegetable. I am going to sprout some barley and lentils and add them.

Now to decided if I am going to simmer all of this in my HUGE oval crock pot or my HUGE stock pot. As for the seasonings. That has me stumped. The soup that my Hubby loves and what I am trying to copy is what our favorite restaurant makes and to me it tastes like pot roast. So I have about 4 packages of Roast Beef Seasoning - liquid, thick and oh so yummy flavoring packages. For pot roast add one bag to about 2 to 4 pounds of chuck roast, one bag of frozen pot roast veggies and 8 cups of broth/water/canned diced tomatoes with juice. So, I will add one package - wait about 30 minutes and taste.

BUT before I can cook anything, I must needs clean my kitchen. I have neglected it for nearly two months! Washing forks as we need them, two at a time!!! Argh~  I am terrible. My usual housekeeper is trying to recover from asthma attacks from the evergreen trees to the west of us that are pollinating, the wildfire smoke and covid-19. The other gal I tried out does a less than fair job of washing the plastics and large pots, as well as folding my clothes - she really doesn't fold them as much as she rolls them. Rolling the towels, hand towels and cloth napkins is fine. BUT not my blouses, jeans, etc.

The twenty year old that I hired once took longer breaks than she actually worked, and only got the dishwasher filled once then said she was through for the day, could she come back the next day? I paid her for the actual hour she did work and not the 2.5 hours she rested and said No, tomorrow was not a good day for me.

Freddy's had Hormel brand lunch meat on a good sale. So I bought some honey ham. Man is it good. They were out of the turkey so they substituted a different brand. That was good too. Better than the deli brands that they slice up for you. That stuff is always so dang salty and this time the packaged meat cost $1.50 a pound less.

For the past two weeks Hubby and I have been going through a Got To Have El Monterey Burrito's with Rosarita Vegetarian Refried Beans w/ Bush's drained and rinsed Black Beans added with a side of coleslaw fix. So, needed to replace the burrito's and coleslaw. Already have nearly two cases of the refried beans as well as the black beans. Once in a while I add Rice-A-Roni Spanish rice to the meal.

When Hubby has his General Tso's Rice Steamer I fix me a Pasta Side with a hand full of frozen cooked shrimp and two handfuls of frozen broccoli florets.

Hubby just finished installing the new porch lamp. Yeah - I love it. Can't wait for dark so I can see how bright the 60W LED bulb that came with it is. I much prefer the 40W appliance bulbs. But we shall see.

Can't wait for the landowner to pave the road and install the parking aprons, then I can see about putting in the lamps at the edges of the apron - so those who come to visit us at night [missionaries & ministering members] will be able to safely come and go.

My flower boxes are done, painted, installed and filled with good potting soil. Now to wait for the temps to cool down more than the 75 degrees during the day so that the gardeners can come and plant all the bulbs I bought. Still have to buy the gladiolas. I may have to go to Shonnard's Nursery outside of Philomath. OR to get those. I want the short versions rather than the tall ones.

The total cost of the gardeners digging up, laying out the gravel, re-distributing the old soil around the house, trimming the two rhododendron tree's and remaking the cement pavers at the end of the ramp, plus the 1 yard of good soil and the HUGE box of packaging peanuts that we used at the bottom of the flower boxes instead of rocks and labor came to $875.00. Well worth every dollar.

The following users thanked this post: LMAshton

pnr

• MembersOnly
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 16, 2020, 08:31:59 pm »
I've been wondering about how the fires are affecting you.
Nauvoo 1270, Feb 2005

* Calendar

September 2020
Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 [21] 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30

No calendar events were found.

* Recent Posts

Re: Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg has passed by JLM