Welcome to New Nauvoo

Author Topic: Rambling by Iggy - book 2  (Read 188 times)

Iggy

• MembersOnly
    • View Profile
Rambling by Iggy - book 2
« on: February 20, 2020, 08:36:29 pm »
Guess I'll just start a new thread as my last one got *Translated*  ;D

Went to my Diabetic Nurse Counselor today. My A1C's are down 2.2 units - -  :D Yeah. I failed to keep a daily log of the food I have eaten, the carbs and whether I injected or not. Which I did not. [shame on me  :-[

We talked about ways I could get on track and stay there for longer than two [02] days. Writing everything down on my computer isn't working, so I am going back to a journal and entering everything by hand.

We set a goal for me to see her in one month rather than three. Set a goal to get my A1C's down another 2 units.

We also talked about how her other patients have been talking about the possibility of starting up a closed FB Lincoln County Diabetes group. I brought this up last month at our support group. I am glad there are those who are talking about it and wanting it. So - the next meeting is 25 Feb and I will ask those who show up if they would like to join. I'll start it up, then we will go from there.

I am also going to physical therapy for the muscle pain in my right shoulder, upper arm and neck to the shoulder blade. Tomorrow is my fourth visit and I feel quite a bit better. Can hold my arm out straight from my side, and with a bit of *walking* it up, can raise it all the way above my head. *Walking* it up because of the arthritis, not stiff muscles.

Am still ordering my groceries on-line through Fred Meyer, but am going to Safeway for the really good ad sales. Still only shopping every 6 to 8 weeks. Thus I am using up the been in the freezer for some time meats, and making spaghetti sauce using the beef flavored vegetarian bits. Talk about a quick meal! Bring the water to a roiling boil, add the beef bits, remove from heat & cover. Now bring another pot of water to a roiling boil, add spaghetti. Go back to the beef bits and drain if necessary, add a jar or two of sauce or a can or two of sauce, a jar/can of mushroom bits -n- pieces and bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer until the noodles are done.

Make up some coleslaw and eat, eat, eat.

Earlier this week I put 4 pounds of 80% ground beef in my big mixer, 3 cups of quick oats, two envelopes of Lipton Beef Onion mix beaten into 4 eggs , 11.5 oz of V8 juice and unknown amount of worchestershire sauce along with maybe 1/8 cup water to clean out the V8 juice can and the shaker of eggs. Mix thoroughly. Measure out into Rubbermaid 1.25 cup containers - 8oz, freeze. Next day pop the square meat loaf burgers out of the containers, put two into a quart vacuum seal bag and vacuum seal. To cook. Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees, place frozen patties on broiler pan and bake for 20 to 30 minutes. I check after 15, then in 5 min. intervals.The grease drips into the bottom of the pan, so it is lower fat for me. Serve with your choice of potato, and vegetable. For us that is baked potato and spinach patties.
Spinach Patties: Drain in a colandar overnight two cans of cut spinach. Push the liquid out thoroughly, then place the spinach into a bowl. 1 egg for each large can of spinach, beaten well. Panko crumbs/soda cracker crumbs/or croutons made into crumbs. Mrs Dash seasoning, lemon juice or crystals. I do soda crackers and start with 10, add the beaten egg and then a single layer dusting of Mrs. Dash and a healthy amount of lemon. Mix well. The crumbs need to be moistened, but the entire spinach dish needs to be firm enough to make a 1/2 inch patty. I make 2 large cans because I want leftovers, and I make the patty the size of a bread slice. Make a dent in the middle to hold some shredded cheese. You now bake them. Take the lowest rack from your oven and place just under the broiler or in the top most place. I line a cookie sheet with parchment, put the patties on that & bake at 350 on the middle rack, until the edges are dry looking. Add the shredded cheese in the dent. Turn the oven off and the broiler on low. Place them on the top rack and melt the cheese, serve hot.

The next day for lunch I have baked spinach sandwich. Bread, miracle whip, cold spinach patty and slightly fried ham.  Mmmmmm good.

The following users thanked this post: kazbert

LMAshton

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Rambling by Iggy - book 2
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2020, 04:51:13 am »
Glad to see your thread, Iggy. :)

I wouldn't have thought of using oats as a binder with minced meat. I'll have to try that sometime.

The following users thanked this post: Iggy

Iggy

• MembersOnly
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2020, 11:48:00 am »
Quick oats work better than the longer cooking oats. My Mom always used stale heel of bread put through a grinder, which was two fold because she ground her own beef and the bread heels cleaned out the grinder.

Also if you are feeling adventurous rather than the V8 juice, add a can or two of diced tomatoes- undrained. Don't have any Lipton Beefy Onion soup mix, then any store brand will work ~or diced fresh onions, diced celery and beef bullion cubes worked into a powder. Another thing I forgot to mention, let it all sit about 10 minutes to let the oats & dehydrated onions soak up the liquid.

The following users thanked this post: LMAshton

LMAshton

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2020, 02:58:56 am »
Good tips, Iggy!

I'm the queen of substitution. It comes from never having the "right" stuff on hand when I was a kid added to moving countries often enough and never being able to get the "right" stuff where I've landed.

The following users thanked this post: Iggy

Iggy

• MembersOnly
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2020, 01:44:14 am »
This last Friday was my last physical therapy day on my right shoulder and upper arm. I was sent home with two of the exercise bands, so that I can continue to work on loosening up the muscles knots.

All day Saturday my shoulder was hot and hurt. Put an ice pack on it, but Hubby's right arm hurt so he didn't want to massage my shoulder. That's okay, I got his TEN's unit out and put it on his sore spot AND put another ice pack on top of that.

Went to bed at 2:30 AM, got to Church today, but only stayed for Sacrament. My joints HURT and the touchy-feely-slap-ya-on-the-back/shoulders/arm people were there. So I ducked out the side door and made it to my car without running into anyone.

Stopped at Subway and got us lunch. Then I slept for 6 hours! Took three Tylenol for the pains and it knocked me out.

I have yet to make another batch or two of white bread. Needs to be started around 5 or 6am, the noise of the mixer will wake Husband, so I have been avoiding doing it. Think I do it tomorrow. Tell Husband tonight that I will be up bright and early to mix up the bread.

Will also take out two packages of the homemade sugar cookie dough I made up a while back so it thaws out, then I'll cook 'em up. Peace offering for making noise in the early morning.

Iggy

• MembersOnly
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2020, 05:40:00 pm »
Argh, what a weird sleep schedule I am having. For weeks I don't sleep for more than 4 hours after being awake for 24-36. Now I am awake for 13-16 hours and sleep for 11 hours.

Hubby and I have signed up and am taking CERT classes. Certified Emergency Response Team. It is given by the Newport, OR Fire Department. It is free, and it is a month long, held every Tuesday night from 5:30 pm to 8 PM.

Hubby's new calling at church is Emergency Preparedness Committee Member.

My monthly Diabetic Group meeting is the last Tuesday of the month. Thankfully it is from 3 to 4 pm and it only takes me 5 minutes to get from that meeting to the Fire Station. Hubby sits out in the car to wait for my 1 hour meeting to get done. Then we go & eat a late lunch/early dinner, then off to the CERT class together.

I am leaving my purse out in the car the next time. Just taking the notebook, pens and my car keys in with me. There just isn't much room for the purse.

The Emergency Preparedness Coordinator couple, the Bishop & his wife, the RS Meeting Coordinator and Hubby & myself are our Wards representatives.

Tomorrow is my quarterly check-up with my Rheumatologist. I really like him, and the visit is always uplifting and extremely pleasant. What I don't like is the drive. It is 65 miles there. I prefer to leave early, eat breakfast in the nest town [22 miles from home] then drive to the Dr. After the appointment I want to eat again on the way home. We have to eat in Corvallis, Philomath or in Newport.

We discovered a little restaurant in Philomath call the Dizzy Hen. No menu online so we took a chance. We had their Pork Loin sandwich. Hot sandwich with shredded cabbage with a vinaigrette dressing on the sandwich. It was surprisingly good. They open at 6am and close at 2 pm so after the Dr's visit we have to go straight there. There is another little place that I really love, BUT they are located halfway from the junction of Philomath to our home on Hwy 34. Also there are about 14 steps from the street/parking area to the Cafe. Neither of us can do more than 4 steps any more and THAT stretch of 34 is known as the Hwy from Hell. In the dark it is easier because you can see the oncoming car headlights. During a clear day it is a beautiful drive going home as you are on the mountain side with the 50 to 200 foot drop to the Alsea River on the other side. Thankfully there are a lot fewer full log trucks coming at you and taking the middle of the narrow two lane hwy as their part of the road!

Iggy

• MembersOnly
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2020, 01:34:04 am »
I have been sick since after church this Sunday. Barely got lunch made, served and eaten [SubWay foot long sandwiches, chips and soda pop]. Then I changed clothes, put on heavy socks, light weight sweat pants and my long sleeved, mock turtle neck pull over. Filled my Cpap with water and went to bed. Meant to take a two hour nap, got up with the alarm, went to the bathroom and went into the living room.

15 minutes later I was back in bed. New sick sleep schedule ~ sleep 4 hours, wake & go to the bathroom. Take 1/2 dose of liquid nite medicine and sleep for another 4 hours. Wake & go to the bathroom, go out to the living room to see if Hubby is doing okay. He is, so I try to do some things on the computer but can't stay focused.

Would like to take a shower, but I am too wobbly and sleepy and coughing really hurts my chest and lower back. It has now been an hour and I am back in bed trying to get the Cpap mask on and fall asleep with it in my hands.

Wake 4 hours later, bathroom, back to bed. Repeat, repeat, repeat.

It is now Thursday the 13th, 10:31 PM and I have been up since 11:45 AM and have eaten only on meal. Am N O T  hungry. Haven't been hungry for several meals now. But I do feel not so wobbly and think I just may venture to take a shower, I can smell me and it is N O T a good smell.  :P

AndrewR

• MembersOnly
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2020, 05:47:20 am »
I, and I am sure others, will add you to our prayers.
Don't ask me, I only live here.
Nauvoodle since March 2005 #1412

The following users thanked this post: LMAshton, Iggy, Sparky

* Calendar

March 2020
Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
1 2 3 4 5 6 7
8 9 10 11 12 13 14
15 16 17 18 19 20 21
22 23 24 25 26 27 [28]
29 30 31

No calendar events were found.