Welcome to New Nauvoo

Author Topic: What are you watching?  (Read 11873 times)

dyany

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • My blog
Re: What are you watching?
« Reply #255 on: June 11, 2017, 10:52:01 am »
Yeah, hubs has been asking to see it for a few weeks now.  Considering he also took me to Batman vs Superman, Robocop, and the last Transformers movie, I think he is going to lose his movie-picking privileges.

curlybat

• View Profile
« Reply #256 on: June 11, 2017, 12:48:44 pm »
Well, I guess to each their own.  I took my wife to see the latest Pirates movie Friday and we both enjoyed it. 
Still TheOne and only me who happens to now be curlybat.

Nauvoodle since September 2001 (#431)

The following users thanked this post: kazbert

Scruffydog

• View Profile
« Reply #257 on: June 20, 2017, 04:25:51 pm »
Late to the party again; we went to see PotC 5 as a family and all loved it.  We loved the ending, which we felt really wrapped a lot of things up, and Bardem is always good value.  Oh well. 

The following users thanked this post: curlybat

curlybat

• View Profile
« Reply #258 on: June 20, 2017, 05:34:15 pm »
Yes, definitely liked the wrap up.
Still TheOne and only me who happens to now be curlybat.

Nauvoodle since September 2001 (#431)

The following users thanked this post: Scruffydog

dyany

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • My blog
« Reply #259 on: July 07, 2017, 01:47:15 am »
Aaaaaand Spider-Man Homecoming was awesome.  I am developing an unhealthily extreme trust in Marvel to make good movies.

Some writing friends got me started watching kdramas (specifically, Goblin) and I hate them because they are addicting and they make me both cry and laugh really hard.  Mostly I hate the crying.  And the cheesy music.

The following users thanked this post: Roper

Sarahgirl

• Greenie
    • View Profile
« Reply #260 on: July 07, 2017, 11:38:52 am »
Contrary to the opinion of most, I really didn't like Wonder Woman.  I think the basic plot was decent, but some of the messages being sent with it were just too distasteful to me to make up for it. It really had to do with the way they represented her relationship with her love interest.  In many hero stories the love story isn't central to the plot, but in this case it plays an important role in the ending of the movie.

First off, I was frustrated by the discussion between Diana (Wonder Woman) and her love interest as they are leaving the island. It is time for bed and Diana insists that Steve sleep next to her because there is plenty of room.  This leads to a discussion about sex.  It isn't graphic and it establishes that she knows the birds and the bees.  She has been raised on an island with no men so her view of things is not going to be based on experience, only what she has been told.  He expresses his views that of course he sleeps around and that he doesn't understand why people get married because it never really works out.  I didn't love the anti-marriage slant and I felt like he was asking about her knowledge not to make sure she understood, but so he could see if she was open to sleeping with him. It could have been done more tastefully if it was even necessary.

Throughout the rest of the movie, she and he never really connect.  They have come from such different backgrounds with such different perspectives. They each have different goals and views on what to do. They are usually either arguing or talking past each other. She has been raised to believe in morals and ideals and he is represented to have compromised most of those.  The moment of connection they do show is after a successful battle together.  It just wasn't enough for a relationship for me. And, of course, this leads to sleeping together that evening.

There are times in movies when I realize that people will sleep together because their world view is different than mine.  They believe that being in love is enough.  I don't agree with it, but I understand it.  This time their sleeping together just left me feeling disgusted.  She comes from a background where  she has had no experience with relationships between men and women in any form.  Not only has she had no basic learning experiences (dating, etc.), but she hasn't even been able to watch anyone else have a relationship either.  She has no idea what the implications of a relationship, especially including intimacy, entail.  In addition, she is away from home for the first time in a world she doesn't really understand and is overwhelmed by all that she is experiencing.  She may be a powerful hero but she is in a vulnerable position emotionally.  She feels an attraction/maybe admiration for a man she really hasn't established a relationship with who doesn't share common values with her.  She doesn't have the background or knowledge to make a wise decision about this. There was no real relationship beyond one moment of connection, so it was very much a one-night stand.  To me, it felt very much like he was taking advantage of her being in a vulnerable position so I felt disgusted.

Skip to the end where she finally realizes that although men are being influenced by Ares they also have enough evil in them to make bad choices on their own.  (The evil in every man idea is a little over done but I understand she is being surrounded by war so that may be how she feels.) She has to decide whether to keep helping people who don't "deserve" it.  (Several times when she talks about the consequences of war she mentions the innocent women and children, but when she considers whether people deserve things somehow they are left out of the equation.)  Since this is a hero movie, of course we know that she is going to decide to help eventually.  What makes her decide it is worth helping people even though they have evil in them?  Is it the good she has seen in people along the way (there were some scenes of people helping and being kind throughout the movie and there could have been more)?  Nope. Her reason is love. The man, who has no belief in long-term relationships working out and who has taken advantage of her for a one-night stand, tells her he loves her.  At least that is what is shown on the screen as she is making this decision.

I think this movie had so much potential.  Trying to figure out how to deal with a world with good and evil is a wonderful conflict.  Seeing the good and evil in people and deciding to help anyway is powerful.  There were a few conclusions reached at the during the movie that were good, but the whole love interest distastefulness ruined it for me.

Member #350 joined June 2001

The following users thanked this post: Roper, Sparky, kazbert

Roper

• Earning my spurs.
    • View Profile
« Reply #261 on: July 07, 2017, 01:48:17 pm »
An excellent evaluation, Sarahgirl.  And I, for one, agree with you.

dyany

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • My blog
« Reply #262 on: July 07, 2017, 03:20:23 pm »
Sarah, I can see where you are coming from, but I saw a lot of things differently.
First, I saw Steve Trevor's initial claims that 'he slept with women' to be suspect, as in, I felt he felt like he needed to appear 'experienced' and even 'masterful' in that realm in an attempt to impress her.  We all know that in modern stories and even in real life, it is extremely common for men to brag about fictional sexual exploits because they think (generally erroneously) that it will impress women.  Whether or not it was true was also suspect because there was NO other evidence of it.  Not only did he not look at other women, he didn't talk about any others, the people who knew him didn't say ONE WORD about a philandering nature or his prowess with women or any history with women.  Not one. 
Also, in the boat, I didn't feel the slightest hint that she was open to it then.  When she talked about sleeping together, it was abundantly clear she was talking ONLY about sleeping and neither meant nor understood the innuendo.  She talked about sex indifferently.  No looks, no coy words, nothing.  If he had made any moves in that direction--which he didn't, partially because I feel he didn't feel the invitation was open--I feel they would have been repelled as inappropriate for the situation. 
I feel very much like the talk of the suffering of 'the women and children,' was, like most such statements, a product of the time and setting.  The first pity we saw from her was not for a woman or a child, but for men--wounded soldiers coming back from war.  I feel her sympathy was genuine and equal for the vulnerable.  In this milieu, that was sometimes men, but more often the women and children.  She expressed pity and concern for all, even the horses. 
When you get to the part where she realizes men have evil in them, that rang with truth to me.  We DO have evil in us.  ALL of us.  It is part of our fallen nature.  My definition of 'evil' not necessarily being outright rebellion and actively choosing the most terrible things, or even SIN, since sin doesn't apply where there is no law, but we all know that horrible things are done by those without the law (and if you don't believe that, then you must be one of those people who feel toddlers can do no damage unsupervised) but the weakness and failures inherent in us and our mortal condition.  Christ also knew we all have evil in us.  That is why he sacrificed for ALL of us.  He didn't sacrifice just 'for those who turn evil,' as though that were something we could conceivably avoid.  No, he sacrificed for ALL of us.  Because ALL of us have evil in us.
The most important part of that section, however, was this: Diana had been brought up being told a story of mankind that was rooted in truth, but ultimately incorrect.  Without any exposure to mankind, and having trust in her family which taught her, she had no reason to doubt the complete veracity of this story.  We see this kind of thing ALL THE TIME today.  How many times have children been taught, 'always obey your parents' or 'always trust your church leaders/teachers/aunts and uncles/other adult figures in positions of trust'?  Answer: BILLIONS.  Because those principles are ROOTED in truth, and it is easier for us as adults to explain them in black and white hyperbole than it is to get down to the grey, grainy details where, yes, you can trust most bishops, but some are child molesters, and yes, most callings are inspired but some are just desperation or individuals thinking they know best and not even asking God.  This usually works for small children, because you have to walk before you can run, and know principles before you can well understand the exceptions and small variations.  BUT, too many people don't teach or learn past that.  So when they reach the point in their life where they see incontrovertible evidence that those absolutes are not absolutely true, it's a crisis point, EXACTLY what Diana experienced at that point.  Do you distrust EVERYTHING you learned, because you learned this core thing was false?  Do you distrust EVERY new piece of information that doesn't line up with that hyperbolic and therefore somewhat incorrect core teaching?  Most people pick one of those two.  And that is what she was vacillating between.  But then she took the wise and correct (though less obvious) 3rd choice: she broke it down, and recognized the truth in both, but that the CORE of her original teachings were still true.  Men still had good in them.  Having evil in them did NOT mean they were all evil.  And more importantly, it did not have to affect the way that SHE behaved.
And the part of Steve's deathbed declaration of love that was key to this was NOT the romantic part.  It was that he chose, despite everything he had to live for, BECAUSE of his love and the goodness in him, to sacrifice his own life to save others.  It was THAT love, that CHARITY, that in his small way he would do what he could and sacrifice everything he had that others (including the Germans) might live, that proved to her that she didn't have to choose to destroy men because they sometimes did bad things.  He was the example of doing good because it was right, the example of the good that still existed in the heart of men, and the example of knowing what evil men were capable of but sacrificing to save them anyway.  THAT was the power of his final words.

I agree with you in that I did not feel enough relationship building between the two of them to justify any romantic declarations of love.  But that was nothing compared to the greatness of the lessons I DID see and learn.  So I loved it anyway.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2017, 04:05:43 pm by dyany »

The following users thanked this post: Sparky, kazbert

kazbert

• View Profile
« Reply #263 on: July 17, 2017, 01:29:15 am »
PotC 5:  Went in with low expectations but ended up enjoying the movie.

WW: Wonder Woman has been adapted to the small screen, and I felt the target audience was the ones buying the comic books.  What Marvel (and now DC, since WW is a DC comic) have discovered is that if you want a big screen blockbuster you can't hew too closely to the comic book.  You need adult dialog (I don't mean edgy), you need costumes that don't look like you bought them at Walmart at Halloween, you need first-class acting, production, directing, screenwriting, and so on.  So, from that perspective I found WW to be an excellent adaptation.  But I also agree with Sarahgirl's analysis.  I was put-off by WW being portrayed as possessing 2017 permissive mores, and in turn setting a poor example for young girls.  It was also incongruous for WW to possess 2017 mores even though the story was set in World War I.  One of the things I find most likable about the Captain America movies is that he so persistently remains true to himself and clings to his "old fashioned" sense of decency.
If we ever forget that we are One Nation Under God, then we will be a nation gone under.
Ronald Reagan

The following users thanked this post: Sparky

dyany

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • My blog
« Reply #264 on: August 04, 2017, 11:28:02 pm »
So, in case you don't know, VidAngel is back (yay!) but they've had to make some adjustments, so now they are a subscription service (boo!) that kind of piggybacks on your actual rentals from streaming services like Amazon Video or whatnot. 

The software and apps are still a little glitchy, but improving rapidly, and one really awesome thing came from the lawsuit: Dry Bar Comedy.  Basically, VidAngel was hedging their bets in case they couldn't offer their filtering service anymore, so they pulled in a TON of clean comedians and had them do shows in Provo where they were recorded, and those stand up routines are now available as part of their subscription service.  Kellen Erskine is good, but Steve Soelberg's 'We Say Bim' had me crying for like 20 minutes, until I hurt myself.  You can find some samples on YouTube, but to see the full glory (including the home teaching bit...oh my holy heck hilarious), you have to watch through VidAngel. 

Highly recommended!

* Top Posters

Curelom
1010 Posts
Roper Roper
838 Posts
dyany dyany
695 Posts
LMAshton LMAshton
571 Posts
CrowGirl CrowGirl
402 Posts