Welcome to New Nauvoo

Author Topic: What are you watching?  (Read 29838 times)

dyany

• Administrator
  • Thousand Year Egg Club
    • View Profile
    • My blog
Re: What are you watching?
« Reply #285 on: February 12, 2020, 11:25:08 am »
Scruffy: agreed. It's why I hate prequels 99% of the time. I am lucky in that I HATED Inspector Morse and never watched even a whole episode, so I have an advantage towards pretending the older curmudgeon doesn't exist when I watch Endeavour.  ;D

TurkeyLurker

• View Profile
« Reply #286 on: February 12, 2020, 11:42:32 am »
This is Us, I guess.

I am mostly doing a whole lot of things that don't allow me to watch much of anything.  The Mandelorian was really good, but it's over now.  I really liked that dude when he was in Game of Thrones (CURSE YOU!  THE MOUNTAIN).

I still care about the family in This is Us, but the daughter is still kind of way too whiney for my taste.  I mean, seriously, if you don't like being fat, then get on a diet or get over it.  But then, that's my male "work on the problem or stop talking about it" response, I guess.  It super annoyed me when she was mad at Toby for buffing up.  Really?  He's not going to die young of diabetes now, and you're mad at that?  Seriously?

It is just so weird that they had such wonderful, caring parents, but all three kids are kind of majorly screwed up as adults.  I mean, shouldn't they eventually be able to pull it together at some point?

The following users thanked this post: Roper

Roper

• Administrator
  • Thousand Year Egg Club
  • Earning my spurs.
    • View Profile
« Reply #287 on: February 12, 2020, 05:13:21 pm »
Lurker, I was laughing all the way through your post. That's EXACTLY what I think.  ;D ;D ;D
All grown-ups were once children...but only few of them remember it. ― Antoine de Saint-Exupéry, "The Little Prince."

The following users thanked this post: TurkeyLurker

Roper

• Administrator
  • Thousand Year Egg Club
  • Earning my spurs.
    • View Profile
« Reply #288 on: February 12, 2020, 09:34:24 pm »
I thought Lurker was making a comment about a fictional TV character who was constantly whining. I didn't get AT ALL that it was a belief about all overweight people, that it was unkind and blind, and that it was harming society.
All grown-ups were once children...but only few of them remember it. ― Antoine de Saint-Exupéry, "The Little Prince."

kazbert

• MembersOnly
    • View Profile
« Reply #289 on: February 13, 2020, 12:28:25 am »
One of the shows that my wife and I watch is the reality show “My 600-pound Life.” The patients all end up visiting a gastric surgeon who lays out for the patients the path towards getting their weight down and keeping them from cutting their life very short.  The very first task the patients are assigned is to hold strictly to a 1200-calories-a-day diet plan that the surgeon just handed to them and lose 50 pounds in one month to demonstrate their commitment to losing the weight before he will perform any surgery on them. I don’t understand why the very first step isn’t to send them to a therapist to figure out why they are over-eating and how to become more emotionally strong. No one chooses to be morbidly obese. There is such a thing as losing control over some aspect of one’s life, and it can take a lot of professionally guided time and effort to regain that control. I’ve noticed the same misunderstanding of depression. I have pretty much concluded that you can’t understand depression unless you have experienced it. It’s like that part of your personality that just cowboys up and gets it done is exactly the part that is broken. Same with the morbidly obese. It’s not that they can’t just Google how to eat right. It’s that they have some trauma or difficult hurdle that they are self-medicating with food, and you don’t just wake up one morning and decide to make an incredibly significant lifestyle change.
If we ever forget that we are One Nation Under God, then we will be a nation gone under.
Ronald Reagan

The following users thanked this post: Iggy, Roper, Sparky, Patty Rain

CrowGirl

• MembersOnly
  • Nauvoo Member 401, July 2001; lurker since 1999.
    • View Profile
    • The MAHALO5 Space
« Reply #290 on: February 13, 2020, 01:33:56 am »
having gotten miffed that Frasier was taken off Netflix right as we had begun a rewatch

No kidding.  My rewatch got up to Season Nine, and then it disappeared.

I watched Cheers in its entirety, finally.  I identified with Diane way too much, and that bothered me.  There were quite a few laugh-out-loud-and-pause-until-you’re-finished-you-might-miss-something moments.  Quite a few eye-rolling-this-is-too-stupid-for-words moments, too.  Still not my favorite, but glad I watched.

CrowMan and I got through at least half of the first season of Designated Survivor, until all the frantic crises got to be too annoying, and we drifted away.

I’m finding every Monty Python item on Netflix.  Already seen Life of Brian, and I finally turned off Meaning of Life during the classroom scene, but the TV shows, the many docs, and the film of their last London performances (along with the behind-the-scenes doc) have made me and other family members laugh.

CrowMan finally discovered Person of Interest.  I’d watched up to halfway through Season Three on my own, but rewatched with him, and now we’re caught up to where I stopped.  Love this one.  Love Jim Caviezel.  Love Bear.  Love ‘Fusco’s’ redemption story.  Do not like Amy Acker.  Do not like that the writers now are going in the forget-she’s-psycho-and-hurt-everyone-on-the-team-you-must-now-like-her direction.
Jump off the cliff and build your wings on the way down.
-Ray Bradbury

The following users thanked this post: Roper, Sparky, Taalcon

Taalcon

• MembersOnly
    • View Profile
« Reply #291 on: February 13, 2020, 09:06:55 am »
Crowgirl,
There were quite a few laugh-out-loud-and-pause-until-you’re-finished-you-might-miss-something moments.  Quite a few eye-rolling-this-is-too-stupid-for-words moments, too.  Still not my favorite, but glad I watched.

This is almost exactly our assessment :) (We're in early S5 now)

Taalcon

• MembersOnly
    • View Profile
« Reply #292 on: February 13, 2020, 09:13:09 am »
Oh, also watching Star Trek: Picard - and this is totally my jam.

The following users thanked this post: Scruffydog, Roper, Sparky

TurkeyLurker

• View Profile
« Reply #293 on: February 13, 2020, 09:19:35 am »
FWIW, I was talking about that particular character.

I'm probably crassly judgemental on the topic, having successfully lost a huge amount of weight through sheer diet and exercise, and kept it off for nearly 10 years now.  I'm probably more judgemental than a reformed alcoholic.

I just wish the show would move on.  Many obese people lead fine, happy lives and don't constantly whine about that one small aspect of their being.  But that is the ONLY thing they allow this character to talk about, and it's ALWAYS a super negative thing.  Even when I was obese, it was NEVER a debilitating thing in my life, and it NEVER defined me as a person, like it does this character.

And, why does that character get to shame another character who makes a healthy life choice, and makes a self improvement?

Jana at Jade House

• MembersOnly
    • View Profile
« Reply #294 on: February 13, 2020, 11:24:02 am »
Update. I waded through season three of Designated only because I wanted to see it though. Gadzooks, the scriptwriters
sure took a deep dive.  Everyone and I mean everyone deleoped coarse language and/or loose morals.  To make it real?

I am sorry, but I live in the real world where people do not speak like that in every sentence nor need to scratch their itches in public.

I also got my first look at two gay men having sex....oh man I hate soft prn for the sake of  ratings....

The following users thanked this post: Roper, kazbert, TurkeyLurker

Jana at Jade House

• MembersOnly
    • View Profile
« Reply #295 on: February 13, 2020, 11:42:02 am »
Now friends, my lovely man thought to take me out tomorrow. I.just.can.not. It is all I can do to be quiet at home between radiation and hospitals and appointments and upheaval.

After a bit of discussion, we dicided to do take out so neither of us have KP, and to watch a movie at home.

He does not like blood, gore, bad language, nudity, yelling.
He does like historical fiction, some not tooo weird fantasy /science fiction.

we liked the Kings Speech.  and Downton Abbey. to give you an idea.

we are done with Star Wars.  LOTR.  Annoying romcoms with whining leading ladies.

what is left on Netflix?

For those who are wondering: we watch the news and every single sports program known toDutch audiences, and more news.  and the great Dutch bakeoff.

yup boring is us.   

Roper

• Administrator
  • Thousand Year Egg Club
  • Earning my spurs.
    • View Profile
« Reply #296 on: February 13, 2020, 11:44:51 am »
...oh man I hate soft prn for the sake of  ratings....
Agreed. There are a lot of things that I want to watch. Then I check IMDB and find out they have extreme language, graphic violence, and sex and nudity. A whole lot of new series are like that. The positive side is that my wife and I are reading together more instead of watching shows...

TurkeyLurker

• View Profile
« Reply #297 on: February 13, 2020, 02:31:42 pm »
... Everyone and I mean everyone deleoped coarse language and/or loose morals.  To make it real?....

Thanks for the heads up.  I was a big fan of Keiffer Sutherland from the 24 days, but hadn't watched Designated Survivor.  24 was a tad risque, especially in the extreme violence arena, and especially for a broadcast series.

It just lets you know how far we have sunk in the USA in terms of morals.  This is a broadcast television series.   It's amazing what they're letting pass these days.

CrowGirl

• MembersOnly
  • Nauvoo Member 401, July 2001; lurker since 1999.
    • View Profile
    • The MAHALO5 Space
« Reply #298 on: February 14, 2020, 03:18:36 pm »
I’m in S5 of Supernatural.  CrowSon said this particular story arc finishes in this season.  Maybe I’ll get through to the end of it.  That will be it.

I’m offended on a spiritual level. 

At first, I was excited to have Castiel show up.  “We’re warriors”, he said.  Yes!  Some good to balance the evil.  How disappointed I’ve been.  There is no balance.  Even the Angels engage in reprehensible behavior.  I’m supposed to root for them?  Really, how much better are they than the demons?

I know many here love the show.  My feelings are not a reflection on you.  CrowDaughter is re-viewing the series.  CrowSon watched it.  I just...need my angels to be better than schemers in some corporation, to be filled with righteous wrath, and not need to possess people like a demon.  I need an all-powerful God, not...Chuck (CrowDaughter threw a spoiler at me).  I know the writers don’t believe the way I do, but for me, it feels like blasphemy.

Aaaand, starting in Season 3, the hunting got ickier.  I don’t need arterial spray, thank you.  It was the same problem I had with The Blacklist.  It’s not for me. 

Jump off the cliff and build your wings on the way down.
-Ray Bradbury

Taalcon

• MembersOnly
    • View Profile
« Reply #299 on: February 14, 2020, 03:42:58 pm »
I haven't watched Supernatural (it seems FAR too long for me to even think about committing to at this point), but I've watched plenty of stories that take an approach at Angels/Demons. And I've found how I approach it is is like how I approach stories that use Greek Myths. It's fun to see what ideas they pick up on and run with from the 'canonical' stories, or even Traditional Lore, and how it launches into new storytelling ideas. Some do it well, some do it poorly. Some are creative, and ask good questions. Some are lazy, and just go for the cheap shots. Some are a mixture between the two.

for me, they just happen to share the same labels as things in my religion, but it's a a separate mythology based on interesting ideas and then asking, 'what if?'. And it's fun to figure out what Paradigm/Worldview this God/Angels/Demons operate under, and how different storytellers approach it differently. (For the record, I LOVED the recent Amazon production of Good Omens.)

I know for some it's still offensive, and I get it. Your comment just made me think of how I've approached it. I don't view them as statements on how Things Really Are, but using some genuinely interesting story hooks that are connected to something somewhat already familiar to a large part of the audience.

There's also been some really good respectful takes I've seen on when characters of real-world versions of faiths are confronted with the different 'reality' (within the show) that their beliefs surrounding those elements are different than what they're experiencing, and how they deal with that. I've seen good handling of this that doesn't mock authentic belief, and also can be an insightful commentary on it.

Same when it goes to film adaptations of Biblical Stories. Less, "How Faithful Is This To The Text", but, "What New Interesting Thing Does It Do With The Telling Of This Story? What New Questions Were Asked And Explored?".

« Last Edit: February 14, 2020, 03:46:25 pm by Taalcon »

* Recent Posts

Re: Squirrel by Sunday21
[Today at 07:37:43 pm]

Re: Squirrel by Curelom
[Today at 06:25:04 pm]

Squirrel by Sunday21
[Today at 06:17:20 pm]

Re: Cabin 2.0 by Curelom
[Today at 05:57:47 pm]

Re: Major overhaul of Church Discipline by Curelom
[Today at 05:44:23 pm]