Welcome to New Nauvoo

Author Topic: What are you watching?  (Read 39682 times)

dyany

• Administrator
  • Thousand Year Egg Club
    • View Profile
    • My blog
Re: What are you watching?
« Reply #300 on: February 14, 2020, 04:06:50 pm »
Ok, so I have a good friend who is EXTREMELY obsessed with Supernatural (like, she works 11 hour days as the managing editor of a Deseret Book imprint and travels all over the country to present at writing conferences and retreats and still has time to not only watch EVERY SINGLE EPISODE (over 300) over SEVEN TIMES AND write and publish more than 1100 pages of writing tips based on the episodes). I like it okay, and still watch it, and there is some additional insight from my friend, but hopefully I can have a little more balance with my analysis. :)

• Seasons 1-5 were supposed to be IT. The creator, Kripke, only planned that many and left after the end of the 5th season. And I'll admit, the quality for the most part went seriously downhill after season 5.
  • The strength of the show--the relationship of the brothers and 'family don't end with blood'--was not originally planned, but the 2 main actors got along so well that it quickly developed into a strong dynamic that they realized worked REALLY well, and they ran with it.
  • The fans are a huge driving force behind the momentum of the show. Supernatural conventions go like crazy all over the world, a few times a year. And while lots of the fandom is SUPER creepy (and don't even get me started on the Destiel shippers), there is so much goodness that they are considered family, and at least three strong charities have sprung up, founded by the 3 main actors and fed by the fandom.
  • I have no doubt that if they were on a regular network and managed through some miracle to survive the first season, they would have absolutely been cancelled after season 5.
  • There is an episode called The French Mistake wherein the 2 main characters go into an alternate dimension very like our own, but with NO angels or demons or the like, and while being hilarious (they literally burst through a TV stage set and take the place of their actors), it shows more clearly that the writers tend towards atheism and just use the 'alternate dimension' excuse for that world being the way it is.
  • The MOST important thing to remember with the show is that it DOES NOT represent our world and isn't meant to. It represents an alternate reality clearly separate from our own, but with some similarities. If I can keep that in mind, it helps me simply appreciate the fact that they acknowledge angels and demons and the afterlife at all, which the vast majority of anything refuses to touch. Sure, their theology is twisted and broken (and trust me, it gets WAY, WAY WORSE in the last 3-5 seasons), but it is not representative of our world. Some people will (and do) 'liken it' to our world, but those people are generally broken already anyway.

All that being said, I think it's worthwhile if you can tolerate the violence to watch through the end of the 5th season. After that, there are some good episodes here and there, but I can't recommend it in general.

The following users thanked this post: kazbert

TurkeyLurker

« Reply #301 on: February 14, 2020, 09:01:12 pm »
Agree on Supernatural.  The first five seasons were very good.  The finale where Dean is getting repeatedly punched in the face by Lucifer was harrowing.  But the plastic soldier in the Impala's defroster kind of made me cry a little.  Interesting that the long lost brother that became the vessel for Michael was named Adam.

I haven't watched the last three seasons.  It just kind of got really stupid for me at the "leviathan" seasons.  I tried to soldier on, but the loss of Bobby made it hard for me to watch. 

The following users thanked this post: dyany

Jana at Jade House

• MembersOnly
  • Express of All She Surveys
    • View Profile
« Reply #302 on: February 15, 2020, 09:51:06 pm »
i just happened on Limitless.  on Netflix. wow. a show I can watch without flinching.

We watched Ethan Almighty for Valentine Day.  Like Himself said, terrible movie really, but watchable.

The following users thanked this post: Roper

LMAshton

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #303 on: February 16, 2020, 02:18:46 am »
We stopped watching Supernatural somewhere around season 5. We enjoyed the first bunch of seasons, but it got too gory and that just lost all appeal.

CrowGirl

• MembersOnly
  • Nauvoo Member 401, July 2001; lurker since 1999.
    • View Profile
    • The MAHALO5 Space
« Reply #304 on: February 18, 2020, 01:52:05 am »
To the Americans with Netflix, a new Shaun the Sheep movie!!  Farmageddon.  Everything you expect from Shaun, Bitzer and the Farmer, with as many 80s sci-fi movie references as the filmmakers could think of.  Delightful, clever and it made a great family evening together.  See it.  That is all.😁
Jump off the cliff and build your wings on the way down.
-Ray Bradbury

The following users thanked this post: dyany, Sparky

TurkeyLurker

« Reply #305 on: February 18, 2020, 10:31:57 am »
Just watched "Peanut Butter Falcon" last night.  I laughed.  I cried.  I didn't hurl.  It was a sweet little movie.  I was so glad to see Jake the Snake out of his wheelchair (way to go, DDP yoga!).  And Mick Foley was his usual wonderful self.

Oh, and sorry I didn't post this earlier, one of the characters drops a couple of f-bombs, which are completely unnecessary to the story, IMHO.  My bad.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2020, 11:55:50 am by TurkeyLurker »

The following users thanked this post: CrowGirl

dyany

• Administrator
  • Thousand Year Egg Club
    • View Profile
    • My blog
« Reply #306 on: February 18, 2020, 12:14:44 pm »
Last night watched the first 2 episodes (I think it's all that's out) of Zoey's Extraordinary Playlist. MIND BLOWN. I was expected a quirky, silly show, which it has, but it's also CRAZY deep and powerful in many ways. Highly recommend. It's on NBC, so you should be able to get it over the air.

TurkeyLurker

« Reply #307 on: February 18, 2020, 02:03:07 pm »
I fell asleep one night and woke up during the middle of an episode of Zoey.  Really good show.

GoodyScrivener

• MembersOnly
    • View Profile
« Reply #308 on: February 18, 2020, 10:34:36 pm »
Just watched "Peanut Butter Falcon" last night.  I laughed.  I cried.  I didn't hurl.  It was a sweet little movie.  I was so glad to see Jake the Snake out of his wheelchair (way to go, DDP yoga!).  And Mick Foley was his usual wonderful self.

Oh, and sorry I didn't post this earlier, one of the characters drops a couple of f-bombs, which are completely unnecessary to the story, IMHO.  My bad.

I will have to tell hubby about this one. He's a huge wrestling fan, and I'm pretty sure he hadn't heard of it before.

Patty Rain

• MembersOnly
    • View Profile
« Reply #309 on: February 19, 2020, 11:46:35 am »
Halfway through the pilot of Zoey. Loving it.  I need to get stuff done so I need to quit for now, but I don't want to!
Time for a change.  I am yungmom, but have wanted a new username for some time.

TurkeyLurker

« Reply #310 on: March 12, 2020, 11:03:35 am »
Just started re-watching Poldark from the "entire series" DVDs I bought last week.

I really like these characters, and the sumptuous Masterpiece cinematography.

CrowGirl

• MembersOnly
    • View Profile
    • The MAHALO5 Space
« Reply #311 on: March 16, 2020, 01:08:00 pm »
My bestest friend has me hooked on Crash Landing on You.  It’s a Korean soap on Netflix.  Even CrowSibling-Arizona, who is not into this sort of thing, and does not have Netflix, has friends raving about it, so had to mention it in a recent visit. 

This sibling highly recommends Poldark, too.  Okay, now I’m really sold.

Last night, I made my girls sit down and watch the 1997 film, Contact.  It is one of my favorite films.  Both of them got sucked into the story and loved it.  Science, religion, little green men, Jodie Foster in an amazing dress, Matthew McConaghey keeping his “All right!” persona to a minimum, James Woods snarking as only he can, John Hurt as the wealthy benefactor, faith versus proof—always so good!
-Ray Bradbury

The following users thanked this post: Sparky, kazbert

dyany

• Administrator
  • Thousand Year Egg Club
    • View Profile
    • My blog
« Reply #312 on: March 16, 2020, 04:03:23 pm »
CG: you sound like my sister when she found Strong Woman Do Bong Soon on Netflix. At which point I taught her that those are called kdramas (yes even the funny ones, and most of them are romances) and that there was a really powerful fandom for kdramas, at which point she got sucked in like light into a black hole and now she watches kdramas ALL. THE. TIME. Like, so much so that her kids are starting to pick up bits of Korean and my 10 yo nephew is talking about wanting to go to Korea on a mission.

In case you want to want to see how close you can get to the blackhole, checkout https://www.viki.com/ (there are some shows for free but you get more if you buy the subscription). It's relatively new (the BIG kdrama streamer shut down a year or so ago much to everyone's sadness, so viki was quickly created and has been trying to fill the void), but still has quite a few shows and lots of them are very good.

The following users thanked this post: LMAshton

CrowGirl

• MembersOnly
    • View Profile
    • The MAHALO5 Space
« Reply #313 on: March 16, 2020, 04:51:11 pm »
Well, that’s a dangerous site.  Thanks!  ;D
-Ray Bradbury

LMAshton

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #314 on: March 16, 2020, 09:44:23 pm »
My bestest friend has me hooked on Crash Landing on You.  It’s a Korean soap on Netflix.  Even CrowSibling-Arizona, who is not into this sort of thing, and does not have Netflix, has friends raving about it, so had to mention it in a recent visit. 
The two main characters in Crash Landing on You appear together a LOT. From what I'm told, it seems that it's fairly common in South Korean shows to pair actors together a lot when they have good on-screen chemistry. We watched them in Memories of the Alhambra, which we quite enjoyed.

* Calendar

October 2020
Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
1 2 3
4 5 6 7 8 9 10
11 12 13 14 15 16 17
18 19 20 21 [22] 23 24
25 26 27 28 29 30 31

No calendar events were found.

* Recent Posts

Re: Trump "fact" sheet ? by JLM
[Today at 12:38:24 am]