Welcome to New Nauvoo

Author Topic: What are you watching?  (Read 30520 times)

dyany

• Administrator
  • Thousand Year Egg Club
    • View Profile
    • My blog
What are you watching?
« on: February 16, 2016, 04:40:16 pm »
I realised today that we were missing a rather popular topic, so I thought I'd start it up again, though with a somewhat more broad title since it covers more than movies. :)

I am re-watching the 2015 version of Poldark.  It is AMAZING.  Aidan Turner has swept me totally off my feet as Ross Poldark, but all the acting is wonderful, and the portrayal of late 18th century Cornwall, with its financial struggles and class divisions and money vs. name as well as honour vs. giving in to your weaknesses, is WONDERFUL. 

Few warnings, though: 1) it's quite romantic (especially episode 4 ohmygoodness it's my favourite), so guys don't always like it.  2) It's a true series, not a mini-series as I first thought.  So when you reach the terribly tear-jerking, cliffhanger season finale, DON'T GET MAD AT ME.  3) It's BBC.  While I am quite sure the 2nd season is slated for this summer, I don't trust them to be timely with subsequent seasons after their history.  (Sherlock I'm looking at YOU.)

ETA: adding an apostrophe.  Because I'm THAT level of grammar nerd.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2016, 07:04:33 pm by dyany »

The following users thanked this post: trooperswife

Jen

• MembersOnly
    • View Profile
Re: What are you watching?
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2016, 05:17:02 pm »
I'm in between obsessions. I just watched Age of Adeline. It was stupid.

dyany

• Administrator
  • Thousand Year Egg Club
    • View Profile
    • My blog
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2016, 05:21:52 pm »
Jen, I could lend you the Blu-rays of Poldark......  ;D

N3uroTypical

• MembersOnly
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2016, 06:05:40 pm »
Doctor Who is the current huge thing - just finished the 2nd generation Season 7.
We're big on Marvel, so Agent Carter during the SHIELD break, then back to SHIELD when it starts back up.
Americas Funniest Videos has been a Sunday staple since our kids were born.

And of course, My Little Pony.  Always Pony.  Pony is life.  Season 5 ended a few months ago, so we're relying on fan-generated-content to hold us until Season 6 starts in May.  In fact, many of us have been working hard to produce some of our own fan content.  In fact, here's my wall at work - every time a family member does a pony art, I hang it up here.  (Full disclosure, lots of this is tracing of someone else's art, done to learn a new tool or style.)
What-about-ism is pointless. I like to think most people's responses to such arguments would be, "Yup. That person, who happened to wear the same political jersey I do/did, was totally wrong on that, too."
-Taalcon

Curelom

• MembersOnly
  • Thousand Year Egg Club
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2016, 06:25:29 pm »
I don’t watch much TV – I use the hardware mostly for watching movies & vintage TV. I have a lot of videos, which I like so I always know I have what I want at hand, like having a hard copy when the computer freezes. My last binges were “Murder She Wrote” & “Quincy, M.E.” Another old favorite is “Twilight Zone.” This probably means you can figure out my age,  ;D.

The last “current” movie I saw was “Lost in the Sun,” an indie, part crime thriller & part road movie. A petty crook takes a 13-yo orphan under his wing & drags him on a crime spree. A variation on a formulaic plot (Bonnie & Clyde, Thelma & Louise, even a few elements of Harold & Maude). The lead was played by Josh Duhamel. There was too much cussing & vulgarity  ::), which I would have thought Duhamel would object to because he is a devout Catholic. (It is unrated). Otherwise, nothing remarkable.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2016, 06:47:18 pm by Curelom »

KathieG

• Greenie
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2016, 06:28:39 pm »
Star Trek Deep Space Nine, Star Trek Voyager, Mission Impossible (The TV series), and I am seriously considering Poldark because someone keeps talking about it.

The following users thanked this post: dyany

dyany

• Administrator
  • Thousand Year Egg Club
    • View Profile
    • My blog
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2016, 06:58:51 pm »
Kathie, whomever could that be?  *whistles innocently*

ETA: the who/whom when it's an object in front of the predicate always messes me up. :P

Roper

• Administrator
  • Thousand Year Egg Club
  • Earning my spurs.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2016, 09:28:36 pm »
After we get the kids to bed, my wife and I are watching an episode of Downton Abbey one night then an episode of Band of Brothers the next.  We'll run out of Band of Brothers here pretty soon, so I'm taking suggestions--something with some action to balance out the nothing-ever-happens-except-relationship-drama fest that is Downton.
All grown-ups were once children...but only few of them remember it. ― Antoine de Saint-Exupéry, "The Little Prince."

palmetto_gal

• MembersOnly
  • Old forum #2268; registered 13 August 2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2016, 10:17:09 pm »
I just happened upon Mercy Street, also on PBS.  I had recorded several episodes, but I've only watched part of the first episode so far.  It's about a hotel that has been converted into a hospital in Alexandria, VA during the Civil War.  Both Union and Conferederate soldiers are treated there.  You can imagine how the two factions get along.  I plan to finish Episode One and then decide whether it's worth my time to continue with the rest.  I think it's supposed to be a six-part series. 

beefche

• MembersOnly
  • Wise bovine
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2016, 11:00:43 pm »
Be careful, palgal. I'm watching Mercy Street and 1) it's gory--it shows some of the surgery/injuries (Ridley Scott produces--he did Gladiator and some Alien movies); and 2) there is a rape scene--no nudity, and although the woman "consented" it was forced sex and shows action.

The stories are compelling, but it's more graphic than what I'm used to. I haven't watched the most recent episode.

trooperswife

• MembersOnly
  • Greenie
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2016, 11:43:27 pm »
Roper: there are a bunch of Ken Burns documentaries available on Netflix. The Civil War, Prohibition, WW I and II, the West....very in depth, good stuff.

The following users thanked this post: beefche, Roper

beefche

• MembersOnly
  • Wise bovine
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2016, 12:31:59 am »
Roper, have you seen The Pacific? It's from HBO and similar to Band of Brothers, but it's about WWII in the Pacific. We liked it, not as good as BoB, but good. Also, John Adams from HBO was good.  Blue Bloods is a great TV show and if you've not seen it, I would highly recommend it.

These are all on Amazon Prime.

I'd also recommend checking out PBS and Smithsonian. We have a Roku 3 so we get PBS and Smithsonian channels for free on it. There are some great shows on these channels. But, I tend to watch more historical type of stuff, not as much fiction (but I do follow Downton Abbey!).

The following users thanked this post: dyany, Roper

mirkwood

• MembersOnly
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2016, 12:35:25 am »
I watch Manchester United.  But the manager needs firing.  He has made my team boring and losers.  Difficult to watch.  I'll watch just about any team in England play, but there is only one United. 

I watch The Walking Dead and Fear The Walking Dead as they come out.

Just about everything else I watch On Demand, usually after the season ends.  Recently I have watched Vikings (loved it), Man In The High Castle (lost interest quickly), Agents of Shield (boring, quit), Grimm (love it) and just finished Gotham Season One (loved it).

I was a big fan of Dr. Who in the Tom Baker years.  I watched some of the Peter Davison episodes, but it just wasn't the same.

Oh...and concerts on youtube.  I love watching concerts on youtube.

« Last Edit: February 17, 2016, 12:39:23 am by mirkwood »
preppercop.blogspot.com

The following users thanked this post: N3uroTypical

mirkwood

• MembersOnly
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 17, 2016, 12:38:46 am »
Roper, have you seen The Pacific? It's from HBO and similar to Band of Brothers, but it's about WWII in the Pacific. We liked it, not as good as BoB, but good.

Yes, I was deeply disappointed in The Pacific.  I was expecting Band of Brothers, but in the Marines in the Pacific.  It was not.  I probably would have really liked it if not for that expectation.  It is a different war story.  I still have hopes they will do a similar series on the Africa campaign and one on the Italian campaign.
preppercop.blogspot.com

The following users thanked this post: beefche, Roper

Scruffydog

• MembersOnly
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 17, 2016, 01:51:48 pm »
Hey Dyany, the omens are good for you for Poldark because the BBC has committed to a lot of series of it.  I can't remember how many, but the figure of 8 comes to mind.  It seems to be their main costume drama investment for the foreseeable future.  Personally, I can't watch it because Demelza is not Angharad Rees, who was a bright ray of sunshine in my callow youth.  I'm sure that others find Aidan Turner a very strong reason for watching it, though.

The following users thanked this post: dyany

* Calendar

March 2020
Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
1 2 3 4 5 6 7
8 9 10 11 12 13 14
15 16 17 18 19 20 21
22 23 24 25 26 27 [28]
29 30 31

No calendar events were found.

* Top Posters

Roper Roper