Welcome to New Nauvoo

Author Topic: Mini GC  (Read 2831 times)

Curelom

• Thousand Year Egg Club
    • View Profile
Mini GC
« on: February 11, 2016, 08:24:31 pm »
Not quite General Conference, but maybe close. This coming Sunday, everyone on the U.S. Pacific Coast is having a regional conference broadcast. I don’t know if it’s the case everywhere, but in our stake, we are meeting in our own chapels & not the stake center.

Some content will be from Salt Lake for all of us & some will originate locally under direction from the Brethren. If we are called to repentance for something specific, I’ll try to share what I can. If we receive a special calling, I’ll also try to share that.  :)

For everyone outside Alaska, Hawaii, Washington, Oregon, & California, if you haven’t had your turn, I guess your time will come.

Iggy

• View Profile
Re: Mini GC
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2016, 02:36:09 am »
Curelom, we had our conference today too. BUT the sound was so garbled we couldn't understand what was being said.

Our Stake President was first, and he talked about the importance of living the gospel so we may attend the Temple. His talk was addressed more to the youth. That being temple worthy was between the individual and God, BUT to attain repentance for certain transgressions the process had to start with the individual, his/her Bishop and then God.

Husband and I felt that this Mini-Conference was to be of great importance - and we were so very sad that the audio was so garbled. I can't even remember the names of the speakers. [oh, so shame on me!!]

Curelom

• Thousand Year Egg Club
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2016, 06:03:58 am »
That's a shame. :(

I'll do a short summary later. The speakers were Elders C. Scott Grow & James Hamula of the Seventies, Sister Bonnie Oscarson from YW, & presiding/concluding speaker, Elder Renlund of the Twelve.

This was not just for the Western U.S. but the North America West & Northwest Areas, so we also had our neighbors in British Columbia & a couple of stakes in Idaho, a total of about 280 stakes.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2016, 06:08:32 am by Curelom »

The following users thanked this post: Iggy

JLM

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2016, 02:46:26 pm »
I thought the conference was ... interesting.  Between the impromptu planning, the shout outs to western cities, and the thinly veiled references to "the policy" the conference seemed to be a bit of damage control aimed squarly at the left coast.

Elder Renlund's talk was most telling. Of the 3 new apostles, be has been viewed by the academic wing of the membership as a potential liberal ally.  In some areas he doubled down on the traditional party line, such as his clsim that to prophetic authority trumps everything else, but in he also emphasized that we can equally support our wayward loved ones and the church, specifically using practicing gays as an example. 

I don't remember much of the earlier talks, othet than being a bit annoyed with the first one.  My overall impression was that it was part outreach, part call to toe the line.  I haven't seen much chatter about it on the 'nackle yet. 

Curelom

• Thousand Year Egg Club
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2016, 02:58:54 pm »
While I was preparing to post, I got the alert that another reply had since been posted. After reading JLM’s, I don’t see anything I would change in mine. Funny coincidence however – we both independently used the phrase “left coast.”  ;)  I don't know where JLM lives - I am in the middle of the Berkeley-Oakland-San Francisco-Santa Cruz Axis, the leftest of the left. My post as follows is the same as I would said before reading JLM's

For Iggy & anyone else in NAW & NANW Areas who may have missed any of the regional conf broadcast, or anyone anywhere who wonders if the left-coasters were given any secret messages.   ;D

This was under the direction of Pres. Nelson, & we attended in wards, not stakes. The first portion was local. We were told the reason for the conf was that apostles & other leaders wish they had more contact with members, but with 15M people in 3117 stakes worldwide, they can’t. So every 2-3 yrs, multi-stake meetings take the place of a visit from apostles or other leaders. This conf was for 282 stakes in the Pacific states, British Columbia, & part of Idaho.

In our local program, the overall theme was missionary work & lengthening our stride as we seek to reach more of God’s children. In 1974, Pres. Kimball spoke of what was needed to fulfill Christ’s “great commission” (Matt. 28:19-20, recorded in all four gospels in some form): softening of the hearts of nations of the world so the message could be spread, more missionaries, & new means & inventions. How prophetic was that? This was 40 years ago, & he truly saw our day.

Here are a few things from the program broadcast from SL:

Elder C. Scott Grow: Patterns of faith to help us remain true are what the Lord has always given: scripture reading, prayer, church attendance. Quotes 2 Nephi 31 (press forward with steadfastness, feasting on the words of Christ). In 2 Nephi 32 we are again urged to feast on the word, which is not the same as merely reading. Scripture study is a catalyst to prayer & revelation. Attending church is more than just physically going, but includes taking the Sacrament, appreciating its meaning, & serving.

Sister Bonnie Oscarson: Speaking to all but specifically addressing youth – what it means to be true disciple. Quotes Pres. Faust (discipleship = total obedience to the Lord) & Elder Hales (when we make covenants with God, we are coming in out of the world).

If someone observed us, would they see us as disciples of Christ? Cites incident of youth behaving badly at a sporting event, saying they “check their religion at the door”; quotes Elder Holland: “We never check our religion at the door.” Not always easy to be different from the world. When we cross the line into Satan’s territory, it can be had to find the way back, but repentance is available to all. “No one is ever beyond the reach of the Atonement.”

Elder James Hamula: We live in challenging, perilous times, the last days before the Savior’s return. How can we get through these difficult days or years? 1) Keep our eye on the Lord & come unto Him; 2) Trust in the Lord & the power of His deliverance; 3) Stand with His church & its leaders. Be not afraid – gives example of Peter & apostles in the storm; when Peter kept his eye on the Lord, he was safe. Don’t get distracted by the waves – but if we do & start to sink, we can plead for Him to save us. “Nothing broken in this world is beyond repair through the Atonement.” 

The Church is a refuge from the storm, a defense when we build our lives on the rock of the gospel. “Fear not, for I have overcome the world.” “Fear not, little flock.” Trust Church leaders. Perfection is not a prerequisite for a prophet, & even Joseph Smith admitted his imperfection but said there was no imperfection in the revelations he received.

Elder Dale Renlund: How do we explain the things we do, say, or believe? Describes times when he and/or wife were asked about Church principles or practices, & the answer always starts with Joseph Smith seeking for truth, seeing God, being called as the prophet of the Restoration, & receiving revelation to guide the Church & its members. Once we understand the function of prophets, we need not wonder why we keep commandments, or have trouble explaining them to others.

We will never “win” any “debate” on the Word of Wisdom, chastity, etc. with secular reasoning, & any commandment taken out of the context of the gospel, the pattern of revelation, & God’s plan of salvation cannot be fully understood. John 7:17 – “If any man will do his [God’s] will, he shall know of the doctrine” – live the law & come to know for ourselves. Commandments are given after doctrine, because doctrine gives context for the commandment.

Satan has always tried to stop God’s plan, opposing Adam & Eve, intimidating Moses, tempting Christ. “Plan-stopping behavior” – any actions or behavior that stop our progression. We are bound by covenant to avoid those, to live the principles, but to love those who do not. “Plan-stopping behavior” by others (e.g. WofW, SSM) does not entitle us to hate anyone or call them to repentance. We should respectfully acknowledge disagreements & people’s right to their opinions, & express hope that they will offer us the same courtesy.

JLM

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2016, 05:31:38 pm »
I am in the Sacramento area, although I've lived in San Jose, Illinois and Utah for periods of time as a Nauvoodle.

Curelom reminded me what annoyed me about Elder Grow's talk.  He recommended using the tripple combo's index as a tool to study gospel topics on the scriptures saying you would get a deeper understanding of doctrine that way than if you were to read straight through.  I disagree. 

His method encourages proof texting meaning into isolated verses as determined by a committee back in the 1970's.  Plus, much of the cross referencing in the lds scriptures were based off out dated algorithms.  The context is completely missing.

I've been reading the NET version of the OT.  I just finished Genesis.  What has been highly enlightening has not been any verse in particular, but the recurring patterns and themes thst run through the book.  If read in isolated verses or passages, the deeper lessons of the test will be missed.  Context is vital.

I did like Oscarson's and Renluns' talks.  Hamula's was just ok.  The whole "the world is getting more evil and perilous" thing just doesn't resonate with me.  I guess I just to much of an upbeat guy.

Iggy

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2016, 06:58:35 pm »
Curelom thank you so much for your post. What wonderful notes you take. I have tried to do that, but I miss so much of what is being said.

I was thrown a bit when you said the Pres Nelson officiated. Our Stake 1st Councilor is Pres. Nielson (pronounced Nelson), and he officiated and gave the 1st talk, then we waited 5 minutes for the connection to SL.

I am printing out your post so my husband can read it, and for us to have so we can read the scriptures that you included.

JLM, I honestly don't understand your problem with using the footnotes to gain more knowledge to the scriptures. I was taught to read the scriptures, ponder them by using the footnotes, and the index, and the Bible Dictionary, etc. ,etc. When you use the Scriptures as a text book you learn more from them. When I attempted to read the Book of Mormon for the first three times treating it like a Non-Fiction book, I never made it past the 10th page. BUT when I treated it like a TEXT book, reading a chapter, then going back and checking out EVERY foot note, marking passages, words and taking notes in a 3-ring binder - THAT is when the truth of it bowled me over. The truth never changes over the years. My testimony has changed over the years, it has grown and become stronger.

The following users thanked this post: Curelom

Curelom

• Thousand Year Egg Club
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2016, 09:45:23 pm »
I think you both have good points about using the footnotes and index (he emphasized Index, not Topical Guide, because the Index is only for the Triple and includes the Book of Mormon, the keystone).

There are times when we profit by looking up the references and making a scripture chain, either in our mind or our study journal. After all, "in the mouths of two or three witnesses ..." And there are times when the Spirit would rather have us read a chapter or whatever selection right through, absorb the message in its entirety, & maybe go back later if we want to look up references. I have found both to be very beneficial at different times, when I was reading for different reasons.

Iggy, President Russell M. Nelson did not officiate or preside. This meeting was under his direction as President of the Twelve, but he was not present. Elder Renlund presided.

The following users thanked this post: LMAshton

pnr

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2016, 10:37:15 am »
JLM, I think it is important that when we think GA's are giving erroneous advice, we point out the issues to them in a letter.   GA's can't know everything others know.  Sometimes what they say is based on a shaky foundation that they deserve to know about.   I hope you will write and tell Elder Grove your concerns about the limitations of the index, so he can consider them.

(Yes, I have done this, not about the doctrine, but about mistaken historical facts, and other things that seem to show the person just hasn't been exposed to the whole background.    I've received several letters of thanks for the info and citations that will allow them to do better the next time.   I also do it about manuals to the address in the manual.)
Nauvoo 1270, Feb 2005

AndrewR

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2016, 07:52:37 am »
President Russell M. Nelson did not officiate or preside

All stake conferences are under the direction of the President of the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles. He sets the dates and makes the assignments to preside (even when it is to be presided over by the stake president). He also gives the topics for Saturday evening sessions.

Of course, I don't believe he does this in isolation.
Don't ask me, I only live here.
Nauvoodle since March 2005 #1412

The following users thanked this post: Curelom

Curelom

• Thousand Year Egg Club
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2016, 01:59:06 pm »
Yes, so they are under his direction but the highest Church leader who is physically present actually presides, right? Someone cannot preside or officiate without being there in person, (although I like to think the Holy Ghost presides over all our meetings  :) ).

* Top Posters

Curelom
1643 Posts
Roper Roper
1524 Posts
dyany dyany
956 Posts
LMAshton LMAshton
825 Posts
N3uroTypical N3uroTypical
653 Posts

* Recent Posts