Welcome to New Nauvoo

Author Topic: Change In Ceremonial Temple Clothing  (Read 737 times)

Jason

• MembersOnly
    • View Profile
Re: Change In Ceremonial Temple Clothing
« Reply #15 on: January 19, 2020, 10:17:15 am »
I used to try and be the fastest one, but then I realized that many of the people that attend the temple regularly are elderly and may have physical impairments. Now I take my time so that I sit down as the other last person is sitting down, so that they do not feel conspicuous.

The following users thanked this post: LMAshton, Roper, Sparky, CrowGirl, TurkeyLurker

pnr

• MembersOnly
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 19, 2020, 11:03:28 am »
I'm going in to the next room where I'm going to meet my Beloved Father, and I am going to look as presentable as my pudgy little frame can manage.

Wow, this was a real eye opener for me.
Nauvoo 1270, Feb 2005

The following users thanked this post: Roper, Patty Rain

dyany

• Administrator
  • Thousand Year Egg Club
    • View Profile
    • My blog
« Reply #17 on: January 19, 2020, 11:29:37 am »
Now I take my time so that I sit down as the other last person is sitting down, so that they do not feel conspicuous.

As someone who always struggled with manipulating the ceremonial clothing in the era of removing/replacing multiple times, I will say that things like this added to the anxiety that kept me from the temple for years. Do you honestly think the person struggling to tie the ties or replace shoes or keep the horrid elastic veil on their head isn't aware that you are completely done, and just waiting for them? It only adds to the feeling that I am a slow, inept disruption and everyone is highly aware of me and waiting, waiting, waiting for me and my obese, clumsy self to catch up. And the more of that anxiety there is, the more I not only can't feel the Spirit, but feel absolute horror at even being there. Honestly, the best thing you could do is sit down and act (yes, I know it would be subterfuge, but it would still help slightly) like you aren't waiting.

The somewhat (last few years) changes in the clothing approach have made me tempted to return, and I am eager to see the changes in the clothing veil (which I have despised for decades because I could NEVER get it to stay on right) in the hopes that my anxiety will be relieved enough that I can actually feel the Spirit enough to return to the temple.

The following users thanked this post: Roper

CrowGirl

• MembersOnly
  • Nauvoo Member 401, July 2001; lurker since 1999.
    • View Profile
    • The MAHALO5 Space
« Reply #18 on: January 19, 2020, 11:39:12 am »
I’m the last one these days because I am helping CrowMother first before I can begin for me.  She taught me how to make sure everything looks as good and presentable as possible; open the bow on the sash, veil, even to not sit on my pleated robe so it stays looking nice.  After 28 years, all pleats are still accounted for.

I married a man that feels the same way.  I’m grateful.  There is something about a man that does not look like an unmade bed in the Celestial Room that makes me smile just a little wider.

Do I feel conspicuous?  Sure.  I don’t like being the center of attention this way.  But I know I am where I should be, and the difficulties I face are an acceptable offering unto the Lord.  He, and the person I am doing the work for (and in my case, the person CrowMother is doing the work for) are the only people who matter.
Jump off the cliff and build your wings on the way down.
-Ray Bradbury

The following users thanked this post: Iggy, Roper

cook

• MembersOnly
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 19, 2020, 12:00:55 pm »
What I like in this is that for quite a while we will have many different styles going on in the temple. Makes one realize better what is important and what is not. In these the symbolism/ meaning, not the actual looks. Of course they have varied already a bit, but now even more.

I'll keep my veil as long as I can because it is the only kind that stays in my head.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2020, 12:48:12 am by cook »

The following users thanked this post: Roper, CrowGirl

Patty Rain

• MembersOnly
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 19, 2020, 02:17:37 pm »
Now I take my time so that I sit down as the other last person is sitting down, so that they do not feel conspicuous.

As someone who always struggled with manipulating the ceremonial clothing in the era of removing/replacing multiple times, I will say that things like this added to the anxiety that kept me from the temple for years. Do you honestly think the person struggling to tie the ties or replace shoes or keep the horrid elastic veil on their head isn't aware that you are completely done, and just waiting for them? It only adds to the feeling that I am a slow, inept disruption and everyone is highly aware of me and waiting, waiting, waiting for me and my obese, clumsy self to catch up. And the more of that anxiety there is, the more I not only can't feel the Spirit, but feel absolute horror at even being there. Honestly, the best thing you could do is sit down and act (yes, I know it would be subterfuge, but it would still help slightly) like you aren't waiting.

The somewhat (last few years) changes in the clothing approach have made me tempted to return, and I am eager to see the changes in the clothing veil (which I have despised for decades because I could NEVER get it to stay on right) in the hopes that my anxiety will be relieved enough that I can actually feel the Spirit enough to return to the temple.

That is one perspective I haven't heard.  My daughter  and have timed it to be with the last person as well, but have heard gratitude from others that they were not the only ones standing. 

Maybe it's different because I will never be able to be one of the first because of how my body operates and that may make things more comfortable for others, but my daughter doesn't have the same stuggles as I do and her friends have appreciated it.

I don't mean to use those words to say you are ungrateful. I just wasn't sure how to express the difference in feelings.  So many different ways to feel about things because of our own experiences.
Time for a change.  I am yungmom, but have wanted a new username for some time.

dyany

• Administrator
  • Thousand Year Egg Club
    • View Profile
    • My blog
« Reply #21 on: January 19, 2020, 05:18:20 pm »
Patty, perhaps the difference is whether or not you know the people who are waiting for you? I rarely know the other patrons (and, unfortunately, family members who might be in the temple with me would make faces and judgments that would add to the anxiety, not soothe).

I don't generally struggle with social anxiety or being uncomfortable with standing out unless it's for a negative reason. But the temple for me is one of the most anxiety-ridden places I have ever been. I would honestly rather be speaking in front of a thousand people. I know it's me, and may not be normal.  But when the WHOLE ROOM is already waiting on me, JUST waiting, waiting, waiting, having one person waiting AND standing does NOT make me feel better at ALL!

Curelom

• MembersOnly
  • Thousand Year Egg Club
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 19, 2020, 06:57:40 pm »
Lots of interesting insights here.

I don't either rush or dawdle while robing, & I’m usually in the middle group as far as being ready. But Heavenly Father cares THAT we are ready, not WHEN or how long it takes. If He can be patient with us, we can be patient with ourselves & the brothers & sisters around us. Putting on our ceremonial clothing in the ordinance room, as in going through real life, we are all working toward the same objective, & when or how we finish are individual matters. Similarly, I put items on in the order given in the instructions, but not everyone does, some put on the headwear first, or maybe second. The Lord doesn’t worry about that; He just wants us to all end up with every piece in place, just as He wants us to end up with our lives in harmony with Him.

None of us will be fully ready for the CK in mortality, so we might as well take the time while we are robing to contemplate the significance & purpose of the articles we are putting on ourselves.

There is one step that I miss, the one with the shoes. It has Old Testament symbolism back to Moses at the burning bush, & I liked the idea that we are in a sacred place & we do this as a sign of reverence. I’ve actually started to do it a time or two simply out of habit even after it was eliminated. But like the other steps, I doubt that Father will hold a little slip-up against me.

CrowGirl, I am the same way about the pleats. I lift the back of the robe & put it to the side before sitting down. Later I refold it as neatly as possible to preserve the pleats as much as I can. Temple clothing seldom needs washing, but I do it occasionally. I fold everything neatly into the case like for storage, close the case with safety pins so everything is flush & nothing shifts around, then put it into a pillowcase, fold that flush & pin it securely. Into the washer with sheets or white regular clothing on cold/delicate, out as soon as the cycle ends, & hang items separately to dry in the bathroom (NOT on the clothesline!  :( ) That means only light ironing, a good thing because I hate ironing.

There is something about a man that does not look like an unmade bed in the Celestial Room that makes me smile just a little wider.

CrowMan's military background is evident :). I will tell you what irks me, even though I shouldn’t be finicky about what others do. It is seeing how some people pack their clothing, rolled into a ball or crudely folded & stuffed in their bag. I see packets brought in looking like that, meaning the people weren’t in a rush to pack up at the temple & then went home & took the time to hang out their clothes & refold them neatly, but just put the whole thing aside.

pnr

• MembersOnly
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 19, 2020, 09:58:26 pm »
There was a post on a different site whose author said he intentionally takes his own sweet time, because he is meeting his Father in Heaven in the other room and wants to be looking his personal best for the experience.  It was an entirely new thought for me --- that the dressing was (like everything else) about being one's personal best, not how much time it did or didn't take.
Nauvoo 1270, Feb 2005

AndrewR

• MembersOnly
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 20, 2020, 08:31:49 am »
I've just looked at the store at the new clothing. Not a lot of difference. I'll be interested in the pricing.
Don't ask me, I only live here.
Nauvoodle since March 2005 #1412

The following users thanked this post: Roper, Taalcon

Roper

• Administrator
  • Thousand Year Egg Club
  • Earning my spurs.
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 20, 2020, 10:08:53 am »
In most things, I usually start to get a little impatient when someone is taking a long time time to do something, like when the person in front of me in the check-out line suddenly realizes that he forgot something and makes everyone wait while he goes back through the store to get it.

That's never been the case in the temple. I have never felt anxious or resentful about waiting for somebody else. A few weeks ago, our session started late because a sister going through for her own endowment was waiting for some family members coming from out of town. We sat in the chapel for almost half an hour. I actually enjoyed the wait. The parts with clothing took a little longer because she needed help. Again, I was grateful for the pauses. They gave me time to ponder more than I usually do.

I suspect that I'm not the only one who doesn't care about "delays" in the temple. There's such a peaceful spirit there, that stuff like that doesn't seem to matter anymore. I've forgotten the name before, and everyone had to wait while I received it again. No big deal. If you take longer, don't beat yourself up about it. We're going to the same place all together. A few extra minutes won't change that.
All grown-ups were once children...but only few of them remember it. ― Antoine de Saint-Exupéry, "The Little Prince."

The following users thanked this post: CrowGirl

AndrewR

• MembersOnly
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 20, 2020, 11:16:10 am »
I don't mind how long people take when it is obvious they cannot go faster - not only in the temple. If someone is obviously just going slow it can be annoying.

As the officiator the hardest call was whether to offer help to the slow person - sometimes they just don't want it.
Don't ask me, I only live here.
Nauvoodle since March 2005 #1412

TurkeyLurker

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 20, 2020, 11:58:40 am »
....  But when the WHOLE ROOM is already waiting on me, JUST waiting, waiting, waiting, having one person waiting AND standing does NOT make me feel better at ALL!

I worried about that.  I know that if I felt everyone was standing and waiting for me, even with the kindest of motives, that would probably make me very uneasy.

So, I mostly don't do that.  I put on the robes slowly, and do everything really slow in a non-obvious way.  And then I kind of act like I'm checking everything over.  But then, I'll just sit down eventually.

I've noticed that since President Nelson uttered the line something like "Is it any wonder a righteous man would desire to stand when a righteous woman enters the room?" in his recent conference talk to the women's session, several men in each session (in the temple that I frequent) remain standing until all of the women sit down.

Roper

• Administrator
  • Thousand Year Egg Club
  • Earning my spurs.
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 20, 2020, 01:01:10 pm »
I've often thought about that--remaining standing. Having worked as an officiator, one of the things I looked for was for each person to sit down. It helped me know if I had missed anyone and if it was okay to proceed. Again, I've never minded waiting. If it means that everyone sits down at the same time, that's cool, too.
All grown-ups were once children...but only few of them remember it. ― Antoine de Saint-Exupéry, "The Little Prince."

Jason

• MembersOnly
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 20, 2020, 05:26:16 pm »
Dyany,

Thank-you for the new perspective. My father had a stroke a few years ago and he now has severe physical limitations. I am going to go through the temple with him next week. I think that this will be his first time since his stroke.

One of his biggest frustrations now is having to have workers come and do things around his house. He talks frequently about all of the homeowner maintenance he used to do. As an architect and a bit of a builder, he took great pride in maintaining his house, even some complicated tasks, like installing light fixtures, basic plumbing, cleaning out the air ducts, even just changing light bulbs.

He takes great joy in going to the celestial room. He often tells me about his first time through the temple when all of his family was already in the celestial room waiting for him, which is what he imagines the first moments of the afterlife will be like. That thought of the afterlife fills him with great joy, as he has outlived many of those that were very close to him. So I will assist him to look his very best. I am also grateful for the many accommodations that the church has made in the endowment ceremony to make it easier for those with disabilities to participate.

The following users thanked this post: dyany, Roper

* Recent Topics

topic Home Improvement
[Everything Else]
Iggy
February 24, 2020, 10:24:23 pm
topic Likeable Leaders
[General Discussion]
Roper
February 24, 2020, 09:12:28 pm
topic Major overhaul of Church Discipline
[News of the Church]