Welcome to New Nauvoo

Author Topic: The 1 true diet  (Read 1108 times)

dyany

• Administrator
  • Thousand Year Egg Club
    • View Profile
    • My blog
Re: The 1 true diet
« Reply #30 on: February 21, 2020, 11:59:20 pm »
Hey Jen, have you tried probiotics?  They are not just helpful after a course of antibiotics, but some people claim that a messed up collection of gut flora can inhibit your ability to digest and metabolize food properly. I don't know how true that is, but it might be worth a single bottle of the stuff. (I like the Digestive Advantage gummies, personally. Cheaper brands not only help less, my messed-up gut doesn't always react well to them.)

The following users thanked this post: LMAshton, Jen, Roper

Jen

• MembersOnly
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 22, 2020, 01:04:34 pm »
Hey Jen, have you tried probiotics?  They are not just helpful after a course of antibiotics, but some people claim that a messed up collection of gut flora can inhibit your ability to digest and metabolize food properly. I don't know how true that is, but it might be worth a single bottle of the stuff. (I like the Digestive Advantage gummies, personally. Cheaper brands not only help less, my messed-up gut doesn't always react well to them.)

I got some but they made me terribly sick. Maybe I need to try the gummies.

The following users thanked this post: Roper

dyany

• Administrator
  • Thousand Year Egg Club
    • View Profile
    • My blog
« Reply #32 on: February 22, 2020, 03:19:48 pm »
yeah some I've tried make me sick. That brand of gummies doesn't, and actually helps a lot (at least with digestive issues I've had).

The following users thanked this post: Jen, Roper

LMAshton

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 23, 2020, 03:25:59 am »
If the kind of probiotics you found made you sick, it could be because of an allergy, or it could be because the probiotics are killing off the bad bugs. If it's the second, it might be worth it to still use probiotics, but start at a much much smaller dose and slowly work your way up.

The following users thanked this post: Jen, dyany, Roper

beefche

• MembersOnly
  • Wise bovine
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 13, 2020, 06:47:31 pm »
Jason, your plan sounds a lot like the program that I found. It helped me lose 50# in 5 months. It's a mild keto program with focus on changing habits to create a healthy lifestyle. I like the focus on making small changes that add up to a lifestyle change. You get a personal coach, education, and community to help you with the changes.

I'm always happy to hear of anyone taking control of their health. It's tough to change habits and we typically have some setbacks which can be discouraging. But, learning along the way helps to not beat ourselves up for having the occasional falls.

Jason

• MembersOnly
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 19, 2020, 11:49:32 am »
I used to wish that I could just pay someone $10,000 and suddenly my weight would be at the ideal level. I thought that would solve many of my problems. But that was magical thinking not based in reality. If I didn't change my lifestyle, then I would end up right back where I started. It is the same phenomenon that happens when someone bad with money wins the lottery. They will quickly squander their money and end up right back in poverty.

I think that is why this current lifestyle change I have made will work in the long run. It is not a diet for a set duration of time to lose weight, then on an end day I can simply go back to my old lifestyle. The daily large meal portions, ice cream, nachos, and popcorn are over. Even small things popped in my mouth matter. Once I reach my goal, I will only modify the diet a little bit to enter a maintenance for the rest of my life. And the maintenance phase will potentially be just as difficult as the weight loss period, because I have 41 years of neural connections with rewards associated with various foods and eating habits to overcome. But over the next 50-60 years, hopefully new neural connections will form.

For me, this lifestyle change was not composed of small changes. I tried small changes before, but I think I "outsmarted" myself in finding ways to compensate for those changes. Or each change wasn't enough by itself to cause the positive results. I needed what I consider to be a complete restart, which of course had the potential of flaming out, like other restarts I had haphazardly tried in the past. But my complete restart could simply be 25 small changes all made at the same time that work synergistically. Long term changes are difficult.

One thing that is motivating for me is punching new holes in my belt, rather than buying a new belt. I like to remember the area of a circle formula of A=pi*r^2. Other things might be more motivating for others.

The following users thanked this post: Jen, Roper, Sparky

Jason

• MembersOnly
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 16, 2020, 01:15:38 am »
The last 2 months have been a slow slog, losing 2-3 pounds in a month. Some of the modifications I was making just were not as good as I thought. And it is amazing that slipping and eating 200-300 calories of carbohydrates would somehow make my weight jump up 3-4 pounds over the next 2 days, and then take 2-3 days to come down again. I did some more thinking about where all of that water weight goes. Not just to the glycogen in the liver and muscles, but also to hydrate the stool in the bowel, as well as the extra salt that I might have eaten. This is good to know, so that when I begin eating carbohydrates more regularly that I will automatically jump up about 5 pounds.

To be more honest with myself last week I did a food diary again and was finally able to start seeing results again. I am now down over 80 pounds.

The following users thanked this post: Sparky

Redd

• MembersOnly
  • when life gives you lemons, make grape juice!
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 20, 2020, 10:27:49 am »
being a woman of not a small stature, and my stature not getting smaller on a daily basis due to medical and physical conditions, I find myself researching various ways of weight loss. I used to love Adkins, then I developed an egg allergy. Keto I understand, it is a modified Adkins, but I do not understand how I can still gain weight on the keto program and reduced portion sizes. My question is this: do protein powder drinks help?

Jason

• MembersOnly
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 20, 2020, 06:19:58 pm »
Some of the benefits of keto, or moderate keto diets are less insulin spikes and longer feelings of fulness. Some of the hazards include high calorie dense foods, which can stack up quickly if not measured closely. For whatever diet you choose, you will still need to have reduced calories. Usually no less than 70% of your basal caloric needs to avoid triggering starvation mode. But we also often eat more than we are willing to admit. An honest food journal for a week can often find the culprit for the lack of weight loss.

Even then, it is a slow process, as it takes a deficit of 3600 Calories to lose 1 pound, and your day to day water weight will flucutate up and down several pounds, depending on salt, carbohydrates, and what is in your digestive tract. So it can take a week to lose a pound of fat, and your scale may go up and down several pounds just from water. It is a long term commitment to get the results.

Protein powder drinks are what I have for my morning and afternoon snacks. They are drinks with calories mostly from protein. They can help if you are in need of some type of snack or meal and do not have the time to prepare something else. But consuming them will not suddenly result in weight loss if they are not accompanied by close monitoring of other foods consumed. It often takes about 30-60 minutes after my meal for me to feel full.

https://www.bariatricfoodsource.com/products/healthwise-35g-meal-replacement-shake

If you use my referral code at, then I get some points, and you get a 20% off coupon.
http://i.refs.cc/F44VYOKl?smile_ref=eyJzbWlsZV9zb3VyY2UiOiJzbWlsZV91aSIsInNtaWxlX21lZGl1bSI6IiIsInNtaWxlX2NhbXBhaWduIjoicmVmZXJyYWxfcHJvZ3JhbSIsInNtaWxlX2N1c3RvbWVyX2lkIjozODkwODMwODl9

Roper

• Administrator
  • Thousand Year Egg Club
  • Earning my spurs.
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 20, 2020, 07:25:19 pm »
Some of the hazards include...
I had to have surgery for kidney stones a couple of years ago. My urologist said that he loves Keto diets because they keep him in business. (Meaning that they contribute to kidney stones in some people.)
All grown-ups were once children...but only few of them remember it. ― Antoine de Saint-Exupéry, "The Little Prince."

Jason

• MembersOnly
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: May 21, 2020, 09:56:18 am »
Some of the hazards include...
I had to have surgery for kidney stones a couple of years ago. My urologist said that he loves Keto diets because they keep him in business. (Meaning that they contribute to kidney stones in some people.)
I am supposed to drink at least 64 ounces of water a day on my diet (this can be in the form of shakes, protein snacks, almond milk allowance). I suspect this is partially to mitigate the risks of kidney stones. People trying to lose weight will sometimes focus on water weight right before a weigh-in. But dehydrating oneself for a single day's results will then lead to having to do that for every weigh in, so as not to go backwards on weight. It is not taking a long term approach. A home weigh in in the morning before food is probably the most consistent way to track one's weight.

Roper

• Administrator
  • Thousand Year Egg Club
  • Earning my spurs.
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 21, 2020, 04:27:53 pm »
I don't do daily weigh-ins because it disappoints me  ;) However, I do a weekly weigh-in on the same day at the same time every week. that's when I see progress. It's not much, but it adds up over time when I'm consistent. I've been able to avoid the "Quarantine 15" so far. I plateaued for a couple of weeks, so I had to bump up my exercise level. I'm back to losing a pound a week.
All grown-ups were once children...but only few of them remember it. ― Antoine de Saint-Exupéry, "The Little Prince."

* Calendar

June 2020
Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
1 2 [3] 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30

• - Birthdays -
  • birthday Iggy

* Recent Posts

Re: Throw-together recipes by Roper