Welcome to New Nauvoo

Author Topic: The 1 true diet  (Read 495 times)

Jason

• MembersOnly
    • View Profile
The 1 true diet
« on: January 16, 2020, 01:36:06 am »
I'd like to bear my testimony, that I know that this diet is true.

In the 116 days since I began it, I have lost 60 pounds. It is relatively easy to follow, very healthy, based in science, and the transition to "real life" eating once I have reached my goal will not be very difficult, which will help me avoid a yo-yo scenario. It is training me to eat healthy for the rest of my life. It is a real lifestyle change. I am rarely hungry. I am about halfway to my goal. My plan going forward is about 10 pounds per month.

In short, it is a moderate keto, moderate calorie restricted diet, combined with daily exercise.

The basic outline of the meal-plan
Breakfast, a protein cereal with almond milk.
Snack, a protein shake.
Lunch, a protein tomato soup, 2 Cups of non-starchy vegetables, 1 Cup lettuce, 2 Tablespoons of a healthy oil.
Snack, a protein shake.
Dinner, 10 ounces of meat, 2 Cups of non-starchy vegetables, 1 Cup lettuce, 2 Tablespoons of a healthy oil.
At least 64 ounces of water (including what is in my foods) each day.
(this is a summary, excluding seasonings and other things to make it more interesting).

This is not unlimited protein and fats, as some keto lifestyles are commonly thought of, so moderate keto.
This adds up to around 2000 Calories, hence moderate calorie restricted.
The large amounts of vegetables and lettuce give my stomach a feeling of fullness.
The 4 Tablespoons of oils help with the satiety centers of my body.
One loses salt in a keto diet, so I get to put salt on my foods.

I am using some amazing recipes, so my dinners are very tasty.
I spend much more time thinking about food, but it is purposeful thinking, rather than mindless eating.

I also get on my elliptical for 60 minutes each morning. That is an extra 1000 Calories per day, added to the about 600-800 Calories deficit from the foods I am eating.

The math of 3600 Calories/pound has added up decently well, even if I seem to hit plateaus once in a while.

I had nearly given up on the thought of losing weight. I have been disappointed many times before. I am actually quite passionate about this diet. I can evangelize about this diet very easily, more easily than I do about church, hence the tongue in cheek title and intro to this thread.

LMAshton

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: The 1 true diet
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2020, 02:41:56 am »
I have had some success with keto as well, as long as I kept my net carbs to strictly under 20 g net per day. I lost about 25 pounds in 8 or 9 months.

However, I did not have any of the other positive side effects that so many talk about - increased clarity of thought, increased energy, health problems disappearing. None of that happened for me. My digestive troubles are just as problematic as before. I've decided to take a step back from keto (I'm still eating lower carb than before, but not anywhere near as strictly) and am trying to instead fix my digestive problems to the extent that I can before I try again.

Roper

• Administrator
  • Thousand Year Egg Club
  • Earning my spurs.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2020, 08:42:55 am »
Jason, it sounds like a reasonable adaptation of most Keto diets. I have a history of kidney stones and have had kidney surgery. My urologist advised me to stay away from Keto, because the increase in uric acid would be particularly bad for the kind of stones my kidneys produce. So I'm transitioning (slowly) toward a more plant-based diet. Sigh. Lean chicken and salad is poor substitute for brisket and mac-and-cheese.
All grown-ups were once children...but only few of them remember it. ― Antoine de Saint-Exupťry, "The Little Prince."

The following users thanked this post: kazbert

Palmon

• MembersOnly
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2020, 10:04:51 am »
That is an impressive weight loss! Congratulations!

I've been saying that I'm about to start with Keto soon but soon just hasn't come about. While I really need the weight loss, I am mostly interested in preventive brain health and Keto seems to be the way to go. But weight loss, yes, to lose 1/3 of me would be really nice.

The following users thanked this post: Roper

JLM

• MembersOnly
  • Hoggity Poggity Wiggity Wack
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2020, 11:43:08 am »
I like the Micheal Pollan diet.

"Eat food, not too much, mostly plants."

The following users thanked this post: dyany, Roper

Jason

• MembersOnly
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2020, 11:57:13 am »
I claim 6' 4", so my weight loss will be bigger than others.

Definitely take your own health needs into account.  have been inching toward diabetes for years, so keto is the right choice medically for me. People without gallbladders should use caution. Uric acid could increase my gout flare ups, which had limited my weight loss in the past. But the large amounts of water, taking my allopurinol, and only actually eating 10 ounces of non-processed meat each day makes this a good choice for me. The weight loss is also great for gout.

I have had no heartburn since starting.

My wife has been very supportive, but not wanting to participate while breast feeding. My nearly 5 year old is the enforcer. Daddy, can you eat that on your diet? To the grocery store cashier, that donut is for me, my daddy is on a diet.

The following users thanked this post: Roper, Palmon

Jen

• MembersOnly
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2020, 08:12:27 pm »
I'm having great success in weight loss and a lot of other things (like decreased muscle and joint pain) doing intermittent fasting.

I think a lot of these things work because we stop taxing our bodies by constantly overeating and filling them up with things they were never meant to process. The rest is just details.

The following users thanked this post: dyany, Roper, Susan, Palmon, Taalcon

Jason

• MembersOnly
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2020, 11:47:42 am »
Tell me about your version of intermittent fasting. Why do you think it works so well for you? What have been some difficulties with it? Is it a long term solution?

Roper

• Administrator
  • Thousand Year Egg Club
  • Earning my spurs.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2020, 12:17:39 pm »
+1. I'm really interested in that concept, as well.
All grown-ups were once children...but only few of them remember it. ― Antoine de Saint-Exupťry, "The Little Prince."

Taalcon

• MembersOnly
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2020, 12:40:29 pm »
Tell me about your version of intermittent fasting.

Can't speak for Jen, but I personally am working on the 'no eating between 8pm - 12 noon' variety of intermittent fasting. I understand the digestion helps it does, but mostly, setting myself a time frame just practically keeps my night snacking down, which will simply just work in my favor science or no.

The following users thanked this post: Jen, Roper

Jason

• MembersOnly
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2020, 01:51:59 am »
In 2019 I made New Year's resolutions to improve dietary habits that were unhealthy. I would not eat a "second dinner", which was a larger snack after the kids were in bed when I was watching TV, typically tortilla chips or ice cream. I would not eat anything big after 7 PM. I would neither eat Pringles nor Doritos. I would cut out butter. I would use my elliptical 3-4 times a week. Every month I added in another small step, thinking that these easy, small steps would eventually lead to improvements in my health.

They didn't. So by the summer time I was a bit discouraged at this process.

My 1 true diet is a commercial diet program available up here in the northwest. 3010 Weight Loss for Life advertises heavily on some of the radio stations I listen to while commuting. They let the hosts do the program for free in return for advertisements. The results they were talking about were substantial, such as losing 80-120 pounds. But they also talked about how they had kept the weight off for 2-3 years, that they were doing this happily, that they had changed their lives.

So I looked into it. I found it intriguing. I decided to pay the money and try it out for 9 weeks. To help begin the program I took one of their preset week's menus (they had 10 different ones). It had a shopping list on the back of it. I enjoy grocery shopping and thought I knew my way around the store. Instead of my typical 30 minutes in the grocery store, it took me 90 minutes to find everything on that list. My shopping basket looked completely different than it normally did. 3 different kinds of lettuces, spinach, riced cauliflower, lots of broccoli, mushrooms, bell peppers, Jicama. 1/2 of my cart was full of vegetables. Then I needed all of the various seasonings, Tamari soy sauce, liquid smoke, cayenne pepper, chili powder, fresh garlic and ginger, diabetic friendly BBQ sauces, syrups, Stevia sweetener. Large bottles of olive oil, coconut oil, sesame oil, avocado oil. Steak, chicken, salmon. Almond milk. Feta Cheese.

If you were to do a Venn diagram of my shopping carts prior to starting this program and afterward, there would be minimal overlap on any given week. The focus of my foods was completely different. It was at this point that I realized that I was undergoing an actual lifestyle change. What I had been doing wasn't working. Even my early 2019 resolutions were nothing compared to what I was now doing. This was something real. And it appeared that it could be something sustainable. I almost feel like I could write a sacrament talk comparing my shopping cart before and after I started the diet to some spiritual concept of progression and change and joining the church.

We made shish-kababs, we made ginger salmon and ginger riced cauliflower, we made romaine wrapped feta spinach turkey burgers. These were amazingly delicious. I am a bit of a burger snob, and these burgers were some of the best that I had made. Pork chops. Tuna Salads. Because I had to eat 2 Cups of vegetables, 1 Cup of lettuce, and 10 ounces of meat at dinner, my plate was often loaded high. That large amount, combined with the healthy oils really filled me up. The 2 shakes during the daytime were delicious. And breakfast and lunch were pretty good, too.

After the first week I had lost over 10 pounds. I figured some of it was water weight, but their special scale said that 6 pounds was actually fat. Success breeds motivation. So I stuck with the plan for the 9 weeks that I had paid for. I figured out which foods I liked and which ones I didn't like. I figured out a way to make this diet work with my irregular work schedule, even at the fast paced surgery center where I do not get more than 3 minutes between cases from from 7 AM to 5 PM. I figured out how the mechanism of action behind the diet. I looked into the chemical formulas for fat burning and realized that I really did need to keep drinking water. I learned that being dehydrated will cause their special scale to think that I lost muscle mass that week, so I should try and stay the same hydration level each week.

When I first joined they program, they told me not to do more than 30 minutes of exercise a day. I began to understand that they were worried that in mild ketosis my body would not be able to burn fat fast enough to provide the energy for the exercise, so it would instead start to burn my muscles. However, I found that if I ate my cereal prior to my 60 minutes on my elliptical, and upped my water intake from the minimum of 64 ounces a day to 80-90 ounces, that I did not lose muscle mass according to their scale. I wasn't doing an intense enough work-out to have that be a problem.

The weekly weigh-ins and motivational sessions were useful. After showing my food journal to my personal counselor, I would listen to a 20 minute guided creative visualization motivational tape (hypnosis stuff). I have never been a believer in hypnosis, but some of the advice given in those tapes was useful. I would also use their whole body vibrating machine for 10 minutes, mostly because it was fun.

This was an expensive program, with 25% going toward the foods and the other 75% going toward the rest of it. As the 9 weeks were drawing to a close, I was able to find their breakfast and shake foods online, so I ordered 9 weeks worth of food and have been doing the program myself since the beginning of December. Christmas Eve and Christmas Day were exempt, but it then took me another 2 days to get back to where I was prior to that.

On my last weigh in they were kind enough to give me the maintenance materials. Once you reach your goal (which is a set body fat percentage), then you can have free maintenance for life, with weigh ins and counseling. But I have been planning my transition back to normal foods for a long time. It will not be a very big change. I am going to continue low carb, high non-starchy vegetables, proteins, and shakes. I am currently transitioning out the lunchtime soups to 1 serving of peanuts or mixed nuts, which is really 1/4 Cup. The other transitions I will make will be returning to Frosted Shredded wheat for breakfast, as I really do want more fiber, and switching from their shake mixes, which are 220-250 Calories, to the Atkins pre-made shakes, which are 160-190 Calories. I will also allow myself occasional snacks.

The following users thanked this post: Jen, Roper, Sparky

Jana at Jade House

• MembersOnly
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2020, 11:25:57 am »
I dropped about 35 lbs like snow in the sun using a diabetic paleo protocol which got me off metformin and lowered my thyroid meds.
I feel great not eating starches and sugars.  When I do indulge I immediately see weight gain and digestive issues.
Intermtiient fasting sounds scarily lie what got me into obesity in the first place and keto recipes ask for stuff I have to import and am not really sure it would be great for my health.
Whole30 and Paleo protocols just fit the way I eat and food I like.

The following users thanked this post: LMAshton, Jen, Roper

Jason

• MembersOnly
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2020, 11:33:59 pm »
I see the trend in many of the diets going toward fewer carbohydrates and higher consumption of fats and proteins. This can reverse type 2 diabetes in many (thought not all) people.

For every gram of glycogen you gain in your body, you gain 4 grams of water. So falling off the carbohydrate bandwagon will result in a short term disproportional weight gain, with 80% of it as water weight. The reverse is also true. Limiting carbohydrates will result in a weight loss that is disproportionate to the amount of calorie deficit you achieved.

I will take that into account and undershoot my goal weight by about 10 pounds, knowing full well that I may gain up to 5 pounds of water weight over the next couple of weeks. The other 5 pounds is because I weigh myself without clothes first thing in the morning on my home scale, which translates into about a 5 pounds increase when I weigh myself on the doctor's scale with clothes on.

pnr

• MembersOnly
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 19, 2020, 11:19:00 am »
I eat Frosted Mini Wheats, but when I purchase them, I also purchase plain box  and I mix the two boxes together in a big cereal container.  It remains plenty sweet, but with half the sugar. 

https://www.amazon.com/Rubbermaid-Modular-Storage-Container-1856060/dp/B00BEUDXTK/ref=sr_1_9?crid=1G86LOU5YDJO5&keywords=cereal+containers+storage+set+rubbermaid&qid=1579450690&sprefix=cereal+containers%2Caps%2C237&sr=8-9
Nauvoo 1270, Feb 2005

The following users thanked this post: Roper, Sparky, CrowGirl

Jen

• MembersOnly
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 19, 2020, 02:56:38 pm »
Tell me about your version of intermittent fasting. Why do you think it works so well for you? What have been some difficulties with it? Is it a long term solution?

Most of my health issues come from insulin resistance. So much of what Iíve read (mainly from Dr. Jason Fung) talks about the benefits of regulated insulin levels through intermittent fasting. I know that I feel better, and generally crave fewer simple carbs. A lot of people pair fasting with Keto; I just eat whole, healthy food as much as possible, try to stay within a calorie window, and reserve desserts for weekends (some weeks more successfully than others). Iíve lost 25 pounds just doing that. I plan to do some version of IF forever.

I generally donít eat between 7 or 8 pm and about 2pm. The hardest thing is the first couple of weeks of doing it (or getting back into it) I feel like Iím never not hungry. After that Iím adapted and almost never hungry, to speak of. Iíve actually had a hard time eating enough at times, but if I donít eat enough itís diminishing returns. I also have a history of eating disorders and have to be really careful to make myself eat when the fasting window is over, even though I really want to keep going and see if I can lose faster.

I have done extended fasting, and I donít believe itís the answer. When I fast too much, Iím as tired and grouchy as youíd expect a person to be, and weight loss slows.

Unexpected but happy benefits have been almost total elimination of my chronic hip and knee pain and general muscle aches. Also my skin tone has evened out a lot and I almost never get blemishes. My mind is clearer when I eat enough and the right things, which is true of any diet. I had some initial insomnia but sleep better now. Exercise is actually easier during my fasting period.

The following users thanked this post: Roper, Sparky, CrowGirl

* Recent Topics

topic Home Improvement
[Everything Else]
Iggy
February 24, 2020, 10:24:23 pm
topic Likeable Leaders
[General Discussion]
Roper
February 24, 2020, 09:12:28 pm
topic Major overhaul of Church Discipline
[News of the Church]