Welcome to New Nauvoo

Author Topic: Forum growth, stagnation, and changes  (Read 1946 times)

Jana at Jade House

• MembersOnly
  • Express of All She Surveys
    • View Profile
Re: Forum growth, stagnation, and changes
« Reply #60 on: January 14, 2020, 04:37:20 am »
I also have fat fingers so that is also a problem.

The following users thanked this post: palmetto_gal, Roper

Curelom

• MembersOnly
  • Thousand Year Egg Club
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: January 14, 2020, 05:22:50 am »
On a different thread, I mentioned that a health & fitness section would be good, something separate from home & preparedness. Those might all fit under what I half humorously called the 5H Club in tribute to all 4H’ers here (the 5th H would be Health, after the traditional Head, Heart, Hands, & Home).

The forums for Youth, Relief Society, & Singles don’t seem very active, so they might go under a broad category of Church Organizations. That could shorten the overall listings on the home page.

I’m of two minds about the political section. It’s true that it can get contentious, but I don’t think Nauvoodles, even those with strong political views, have been truly obnoxious, vicious, or slanderous, definitely not to the level of certain politicians, media figures, or some regular folk who write nasty letters to the editor or reader forums. And as I said on another post, politics is part of the real world we all live in. We can’t escape it. It parades through the headlines or news feeds we all see, & it impacts our lives. If we or our loved ones are in the military, go to school, need health care, are unemployed, become homeless, have addictions, have young people in our lives who feel stressed over a nuclear holocaust or a lunatic in their school with an AR15, belong to a racial or religious minority, came from another country or have family or friends who did – have I left out one single American? – politics affects us. So I doubt that it’s realistic to build a wall to keep it out. If it’s kept civil, I think there’s a place for it. But like other toxins that are kept out of reach of the innocent – tobacco, vaping pens, booze, etc., a separate & distinct place for it would be appropriate. 

The following users thanked this post: LMAshton, Roper

LMAshton

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: January 14, 2020, 07:24:09 am »
On a different thread, I mentioned that a health & fitness section would be good, something separate from home & preparedness. Those might all fit under what I half humorously called the 5H Club in tribute to all 4H’ers here (the 5th H would be Health, after the traditional Head, Heart, Hands, & Home). 
Curelom, I love the 5H title idea. It solves the dilemma I had of Home Preparedness and Food Storage vs. Food & Health or... It encompasses it all, and very clearly so. This gets my vote.

The following users thanked this post: dyany, Roper

AndrewR

• MembersOnly
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: January 14, 2020, 07:58:05 am »
Curelom, I love the 5H title idea.

Whereas for me it means nothing. 4H club was something I only knew about because of the Dixie Chicks - Goodbye Earl
Don't ask me, I only live here.
Nauvoodle since March 2005 #1412

The following users thanked this post: Roper

dyany

• Administrator
  • Thousand Year Egg Club
    • View Profile
    • My blog
« Reply #64 on: January 14, 2020, 06:48:42 pm »
I have to lean towards Andrew's assessment there. Even though I appreciate the cleverness of 5H, I couldn't for the life of me identify what the H's were, even though I participated in it as a youth (and Curelom named them off 3 comments ago!  :-[ ).  I honestly think the simpleness of "Home and Health" would cover it completely. Cleaning tips, cooking, household management, handyman fix-its, DIY, dietary, treatments, etc., all neatly summed up in a couple of clear words.

I grew up on Victorian literature and thus have a penchant for loquaciousness. However, in my journey to learn more about writing, I have found that Hemingway-ian clarity and taciturnity tends to be far more effective. :/

The following users thanked this post: LMAshton, Curelom, Roper

Patty Rain

• MembersOnly
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: January 14, 2020, 11:39:54 pm »
I find the comments about using a mobile phone for the forum interesting. I use an Android phone, with Chrome browser and I have no difficulty. It works find. I zoom in and out. But it works. I don't expect the phone to be the best way to interact on a forum.

I don't use chrome on my phone.  I use the Samsung internet browser.  I love Chrome on my computer.  Don't like it at all on my phone.  I wondered if that was the difference, but I just checked and still had the same problem.

I do zoom in and out, but it really annoys me to do that.  I don't know if it would have in the past, but now that I have experience with a number of other boards and this is the only board I have to zoom in to see things well then it makes a big difference for me. 
Time for a change.  I am yungmom, but have wanted a new username for some time.

rcaywood

• Greenie
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: January 15, 2020, 12:08:38 am »
As another one who very rarely posts, but reads a lot of the posts here, I appreciate this forum.  I am able to get some great discussion on gospel topics and different points of view that I can't get in my ward.  Not that they don't exist here in my neighborhood, but that takes time that I don't always have.  This forum provides a way to get that on my own terms and time. 
Similar to Jana, I can post more here and do a better job personally.  Now that I don't have a busy calling, I am actually looking forward to doing that. 
As for a new format/layout - I like the idea of grouping more of the church/Gospel things in one area.  Political discussion can stay or go for me, I read those posts every once in a while, but aren't my main reason for visiting. 

The following users thanked this post: LMAshton, palmetto_gal, Roper

LMAshton

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: January 15, 2020, 02:51:00 am »
So this is where we're currently at with the proposed re-organization:

Section: Forum Information and Membership
- Nauvoo Charter (with sticky)
- Introductions
- Forum and member news
- Technical talk

Section: General Discussions (for stuff that doesn't go anywhere else)
- General Discussions

Section: Church and Gospel
- Doctrines, Scriptures, and Scholarship
- General Conference (sections combined)
- Come Follow Me (Relief Society threads moved here)
- Mormon Life (merged with Callings)(Do we want to merge Youth in the Church and LDS Singles into this?)(Since there's not been a general consensus, I think the answer is yes.)
- Church News

Section: News and Politics (with charter addendum)(There's no clear consensus on this, either, so... Do we give it a try and see how it goes?)
- Current Events - U.S. politics (thread moved here)
- Others?

Section: Arts and Entertainment (Rename "Other" category and leave all current subsections)
- Popular Culture (Would we want to combine/rename Book Club into this or no?)

Section: Writers Workshop (Leave everything as is)

Section: Private (To be named something better, but I have no idea what.)
- Private Conversation (and we can send the Prayer List thread here if that's what people want.)

Nauvoo International threads could be moved to Mormon Life or Current Events as appropriate.

Home and Health.

I may get started on moving some things around in the next few days. I'll leave the ones that don't have a clear consensus until the end. You still have time, but not a lot, to voice your opinion.

Curelom

• MembersOnly
  • Thousand Year Egg Club
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: January 15, 2020, 05:21:55 am »
I have to lean towards Andrew's assessment there. Even though I appreciate the cleverness of 5H, I couldn't for the life of me identify what the H's were, even though I participated in it as a youth (and Curelom named them off 3 comments ago!)

Whatever’s right that the moderators agree on. Cleverness wasn’t the first thing in my mind; I thought the existing title of “Home Preparedness and Food Storage” could be expanded into a category that included more topics that are related, like health, household hints, gardening, car maintenance, etc.

Roper

• Administrator
  • Thousand Year Egg Club
  • Earning my spurs.
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: January 15, 2020, 10:12:51 am »
- Mormon Life (merged with Callings)(Do we want to merge Youth in the Church and LDS Singles into this?)(Since there's not been a general consensus, I think the answer is yes.)

I vote "Yes."

Section: News and Politics (with charter addendum)(There's no clear consensus on this, either, so... Do we give it a try and see how it goes?)

I vote "Yes." When we do make a charter addendum, I suggest we include something prohibiting ad hominem attacks.

- Private Conversation (and we can send the Prayer List thread here if that's what people want.)

Maybe "Members Only"? And I vote "Yes" on moving the prayer thread to this section.
All grown-ups were once children...but only few of them remember it. ― Antoine de Saint-Exupéry, "The Little Prince."

The following users thanked this post: LMAshton, Taalcon

JLM

• MembersOnly
  • Hoggity Poggity Wiggity Wack
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: January 15, 2020, 12:53:13 pm »
I concur with Roper.  I think it should also be clear in the charter that  admins have the right to relocate threads to the appropriate sections as needed.  That way is a non-political topic starts to drift that way, the admins can either redirect participants to start a new thread there or move the entire thread over if the political/news elements are integral to the discussion.

The following users thanked this post: Iggy, Roper

Curelom

• MembersOnly
  • Thousand Year Egg Club
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: January 15, 2020, 05:27:27 pm »
+1 to what Roper & JLM said.

Patty Rain

• MembersOnly
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: January 15, 2020, 08:20:58 pm »

On two other boards I have been on this section was hidden unless you were a part of that group. Would that be like how it is there?  How about  "Nauvoo Members Board"? 

And I may have missed it - would this automatically add anyone who became a member of the board or just those trusted members that have been here? 

Years ago a group I was in were posting on a section of a board that got very little traffic compared to the whole board.  We started getting the impression there were quite a few people reading (Something I always thought would be happening, but others didn't realize for some reason). Someone called out and invited people to speak up.

A few in the group freaked out when we discovered so many speaking up.  So someone created a private board at another site with the idea that  private things could be said there while we still talked at the first site. 

That didn't happen.  Most everyone jumped ship and didn't post at the first site while all the newcomers didn't know why everything had gone so dead.  I explained why this was a problem to my group, but it didn't seem to matter to some of them.  I finally just told the new people that the group had moved.

So if we are going to do just part of this site as private could we make some sort of rule that only private things do we share on the private portion and the rest of the things we continue to post on the public boards?  It doesn't matter near so much here as it did there as some of us openly welcomed the newcomers only for the group to quickly abandon them, but it just makes sense here that if we are having a private board for private things we should keep it that way or just make the whole site private.   
Time for a change.  I am yungmom, but have wanted a new username for some time.

dyany

• Administrator
  • Thousand Year Egg Club
    • View Profile
    • My blog
« Reply #73 on: January 15, 2020, 09:57:14 pm »
I agree with everything Laurie suggested, with some following possible suggestions:

Section: Forum Information and Membership
- Nauvoo Charter (with sticky)
- Introductions
- Forum and member news I am wondering if this section should be put in the Members-only group. Talking about ourselves can be the most personal, private information we share.
- Technical talk

Section: Church and Gospel I am torn, wondering if we might want to make this section member-only as well. Lots of it can be fairly innocuous, but some of the deep discussions, testimonies, personal experiences, and the like seem a little too sacred to just leave out in the open to me. If we do this, we can leave the Prayer List here. Thoughts?
- Doctrines...
I agree with everything IN the section

- Current Events - U.S. politics (thread moved here)
- Others?I think that perhaps a pure International (to cover world events and how it affects all the countries we represent here and more), and possibly a European, Asian, Pacific, Americas sections at least?  It feels so ethnocentric to basically say "U.S. and everybody else."

Section: Arts and Entertainment (Rename "Other" category and leave all current subsections)
- Popular Culture (Would we want to combine/rename Book Club into this or no?)
I have a lot of suggestions here. First, I DO think moving Book Club here would be good, but if we are going to separate out books, then movies, music, and television all deserve their own sections (and could produce some great conversations, IMHO), and a general 'everything else' (which could eventually include things like services (streaming, filtering, etc.), other social media bits, jokes, etc.
I feel the "Home Preparedness and Food Storage" section here will go away with Home & Health being created, and I feel the 'Creative Corner' would go better under the 'Members Only' section, for privacy, as people post pictures of their families and children.

Agree with the suggestions for Private/Members only and International threads.

Home and Health
Can I suggest some subsections for here?  I would love to have the following (with adjustments/suggestions welcome): Food (for recipes, storage, substitutions, cooking methods to try/gadgets, etc.)
DIY (for home project ideas and possibly requesting help/suggestions with repairs)
Non-food Preparedness
Yard & Garden
Health/Medical (including dietary, supplements, treatments, healthy habits, the like)
Motivation & Organization (for motivational techniques, cheering squads, time organization tips/questions/help, prioritization, etc.)
Mental Health/self-care

Hope that's not too much!

JLM

• MembersOnly
  • Hoggity Poggity Wiggity Wack
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: January 15, 2020, 10:21:54 pm »
I'd minimize the number of subsections to keep things simple.  One section each for political discussions and A&E.  Keep writer forum separate from A&E Let's just make it a habit of being clear in the topic title what the specific

Quick side note.  I've never thought of the US as a distinct ethnic group.  Is that how the rest of the world views the country?

The following users thanked this post: Patty Rain

* Recent Topics

topic returning to meetings in the chapel.
[Latter-day Saint Life]
Taalcon
Today at 11:11:05 am
topic watching the public reactions to the pandemic
[Covid-19]
dyany
Today at 01:06:47 am
topic Distance Learning
[Covid-19]
dyany
August 06, 2020, 09:01:53 pm
topic Church leaders in legal proceedings