Welcome to New Nauvoo

Author Topic: 2020 - Come, Follow Me  (Read 292 times)

AndrewR

• MembersOnly
    • View Profile
2020 - Come, Follow Me
« on: January 07, 2020, 11:43:12 am »
I confess that as a family we failed after week 1 of doing Sunday Come, Follow Me time.

There are my wife and me, and three daughters (29, 19 & 17) living at home.

We have already doubled that this year - we started 29th December to commit to the reading. Then again this past Sunday to review our reading, a brief discussion, and talk about the upcoming week.

The 29 year old is Primary President. She sometimes gets into Sunday School during the lesson time, if all the classes are covered and she had no concerns.

The 19 year old works every other Sunday in a Card Facility, and when she is there is Nursery Leader - so never goes to Sunday School.

The 17 year old is in a class of 11 - 17 year olds, with a couple teaching where the wife has stopped coming, and the husband may have (not declared). So the lessons are patchy. But this year Seminary is in line with Come, Follow Me as is YW (doctrinally) so she is probably the best covered, Seminary Teacher is very good.

I play the piano for Primary then get to half the Sunday School lesson.

Having said all that, the sunday school teaching is way below where it should be.

So, we are very much home centred, not so much Church supported.

How do others go about this?
Don't ask me, I only live here.
Nauvoodle since March 2005 #1412

Taalcon

• MembersOnly
    • View Profile
Re: 2020 - Come, Follow Me
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2020, 11:47:49 am »
We read the Title Page last Thursday, and watched the 'What Is The Book of Mormon?' video as a family, and briefly discussed it. I assigned my daughter (turning 10) to read the intro on her own before Sunday, which she did.

This week I've planned to do some daily reading along with watching the Book of Mormon Videos. But we've ended up having out of the house family gatherings that ended after kids' bedtimes these past two days. We'll see how we'll recoup!

TurkeyLurker

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2020, 11:58:15 am »
So, we are very much home centred, not so much Church supported.

Ditto.  Sunday School has gotten pretty brutal for me.  I have a very short attention span, and the extra 10 minutes just seems like forever.

We started really well in our ward; there was lots of discussion in the group.  Now, unfortunately, we have devolved back into the "question/lecture" format, only with 10 extra minutes of sheer boredom.

There is one sister whose comments are nothing short of brilliant and highly useful for me.  But she doesn't get a chance to comment much any more because of the teaching method.

So, I read the assigned scriptures a few times each week as I'm walking around the track at the gym.   It's a nice way to spend an hour in the am.  I can't just sit there and read.  I think I have undiagnosed ADD.  :)

AndrewR

• MembersOnly
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2020, 12:02:20 pm »
We started really well in our ward; there was lots of discussion in the group.  Now, unfortunately, we have devolved back into the "question/lecture" format, only with 10 extra minutes of sheer boredom.

That was similar to us (we're not in the same ward are we?)

Now the teacher asks a question and before anyone has had a chance to process it, she answers it with another story about her family we have all heard before.
Don't ask me, I only live here.
Nauvoodle since March 2005 #1412

The following users thanked this post: TurkeyLurker

TurkeyLurker

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2020, 12:08:33 pm »
Last Sunday was a bit better.  We had a new teacher (delightfully green-ish in the gospel), and everyone felt the need to support him in his new calling.  So there was more from the audience.  I hope he stays in that calling for a while.

The following users thanked this post: dyany

cook

• MembersOnly
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2020, 12:38:33 pm »
I'm in Primary. Now I got to another class, meaning I'm no longer needed in sharing time so I will get about half of Sunday school. I'm not waiting much from it. Husband always has a dilemma to which one to go to, that or the English one. Both are equally painful in different ways. We'll see.

I get the most basic "this one idea is this week's lesson" from the Primary. At home (kids 11-17) this year will be easy, since we've always read the Book of Mormon at night together. The kids used to read a bit in English in the morning. Last year we read the New Testament in the morning and Book of Mormon in the evening. Now we'll be back to a bit of BofM in English in the morning and Finnish in the evening. I have printed out on the fridge the "topics" for the week from the manual. The idea has been that during the day when ever we eat together we discuss what we have read and learnt. Well, that hasn't really happened. On Sundays we've read the basics from the manual for the coming weeks lesson. And a bit of discussion if it came about. 2/4 are in seminary. Sometimes they have questions or share something they learnt. On Sunday on the ride home from Church we discuss what everyone learnt.

Personal study - I created a year ago a facebook group for discussion of the readings. I thought it would have been for those who don't have family to study with. For some time I posted on what I had learnt or thought while reading the assigned chapters, but when no one else really contributed, just liked, it kind of died. About a week ago I just invited everyone and told everyone to invite whoever they feel like and now we have some discussions going on.

JLM

• MembersOnly
  • Hoggity Poggity Wiggity Wack
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2020, 02:47:04 pm »
Ward SS president here.  What I have enjoyed the most with the Come Follow Me format is the overall increased engagement with the scriptures.  The Nacle is full of relevant commentary and supporting resources.  The Church had amped up resources for home study.  Discussion groups are ok now.  Specific experiences may vary, but the increased flexibility allows for so much more potential than the old way of doing things. 

Taalcon

• MembersOnly
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2020, 02:57:37 pm »
I co-teach the 11-12 year old class. We made clear to them (a whole new batch! This was sort of sad for me!) that they can - and should! - bring their questions with them to class. As they read at home, if they do, and they have a question, mark it down. Ponder it in their prayers. Ask their parents. Feel free to bring them to us, too. We won't always have all the answers, but sometimes something small might be in the way between understanding. If the questions are good and relevant, they could be good launchpads for class discussion.

We let them know that we're here to learn from the scriptures, and that includes bringing the insights and thoughts they've had and things they know, and also asking about things they don't know. That asking questions in this class isn't embarassing - it's part of the purpose of the class, to help increase learning!

Frankly, I think it's far easier to do that with the 11-12yo than it is with the adults. My wife said a couple weeks ago a whole Adult class was taken over by students in adult sunday school arguing over what the One Single Definition of Calling And Election Made Sure meant. And it was A Disaster.

There's some times I miss teaching the adults (we had some really great discussions and learning during the OT year! I basically used the CFM model before it was codified as such), most of the time I'm very happy for this time with the younger crew.

Roper

• Administrator
  • Thousand Year Egg Club
  • Earning my spurs.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2020, 03:48:05 pm »
How do others go about this?

The Sunday School course or the family study part?

I can't speak to the Sunday School part. I've been teaching music in Primary and Nursery for the past year and a half, so I don't attend Gospel Doctrine.

For family study, I usually read the "Come Follow Me" section and associated scriptures out loud while everyone is eating breakfast. If we're lucky, we can get in about 4 minutes of discussion before everyone is headed to school and work. I'll take it for what it is. Trying to get kids out of bed any earlier just makes everyone angry in the mornings.
All grown-ups were once children...but only few of them remember it. ― Antoine de Saint-Exupéry, "The Little Prince."

The following users thanked this post: dyany

Traela

• MembersOnly
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2020, 01:21:53 pm »
For family study, we are watching the new videos on Sunday, then read the assigned chapters at breakfast during the weekdays.

For personal study, I like the ScripturePlus app.  It has links to relevant talks and articles for each verse.

I teach the 10-year-olds in Primary.  25 minutes isn’t a whole lot of time.  I usually give a quick overview and then a discussion of only one concept, maybe two.

The following users thanked this post: LMAshton, Roper, Taalcon

Jason

• MembersOnly
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2020, 12:54:31 am »
Our very large Sunday School class has several nonagenarians and many other octogenarians, who love to participate. It is such a large group of people who all want to share things, that it is hard for a quadragenarian, such as myself, to regularly participate. We also have at least 5 people that were some sort of airplane mechanics or pilots, so we have many Elder Uchtdorf type stories.

I do appreciate the Come, Follow Me format, as it helps guide me to my study for that week.

We were gifted a Book of Mormon study guide for children (not from the church), and my wife is using that with out children. I have good discussions with my daughter about behaviors of people. We also watch the church's new Book of Mormon videos together.

The following users thanked this post: LMAshton, Roper

Redd

• MembersOnly
  • when life gives you lemons, make grape juice!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2020, 05:30:08 pm »
I am starting to like the Sunday school at  home program.  I can read the manual, listen to the lesson and watch the videos on my phone .  I would like to join a group but none that the ward has started match my time frames, so I just do it alone.  Its okay I guess.  I wonder if I really get the gist of the lessons or if I really am learning, but I am doing better this year than last.

The following users thanked this post: Roper

* Recent Topics

topic Home Improvement
[Everything Else]
Iggy
February 24, 2020, 10:24:23 pm
topic Likeable Leaders
[General Discussion]
Roper
February 24, 2020, 09:12:28 pm
topic Major overhaul of Church Discipline
[News of the Church]