Welcome to New Nauvoo

Author Topic: Salt Lake Temple put to bed  (Read 231 times)

Curelom

• Thousand Year Egg Club
    • View Profile
Salt Lake Temple put to bed
« on: January 02, 2020, 01:17:03 am »
I had hoped to get to the Salt Lake Temple for one last time before it closed, but time flew & I didn't make it. However, I'm blessed to have one not too far away that reopened in the spring after 16 months of renovation, meaning it won't have another extended closure for awhile.

Thousands of poor souls now have to go ALL the way to Bountiful or even farther (Draper, eeeek  :o ) to go to their temporary assigned temple...  :'(

https://www.deseret.com/2019/12/30/21043293/mormon-temple-church-of-jesus-christ-temple-square-demolition-open-closed-removation

Curiosity question: how is a temple decommissioned? Is this an actual priesthood ordinance, or is it merely removing the sacred objects as well as pieces of art, documents & records, furniture to be retained (in Oakland, much of it was fairly new & was kept), etc. for safekeeping?
« Last Edit: January 02, 2020, 01:22:14 am by Curelom »

AndrewR

• View Profile
Re: Salt Lake Temple put to bed
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2020, 08:14:00 am »
Thousands of poor souls now have to go ALL the way to Bountiful or even farther (Draper, eeeek  :o ) to go to their temporary assigned temple...  :'(

Is this sarcasm? I can't tell. But according to Google Earth it's a 21 minute drive from the Salt Lake temple to the Bountiful temple.

It's about 70 minutes to my assigned temple - which is the same as Scruffydog's, and it is a whole lot longer for him.

If ours closed for renovation the London temple is over 2 hours away.
Don't ask me, I only live here.
Nauvoodle since March 2005 #1412

pnr

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2020, 08:47:24 pm »
Google may say it is a 21 minute drive.   But I doubt anyone who actually lives there would say they'd made it from one to the other in 21 minutes. 
Nauvoo 1270, Feb 2005

The following users thanked this post: Roper

Scruffydog

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2020, 11:49:33 am »
I can't imagine how bad it must have been for the Saints in Aberdeen or Inverness or the Isles before the Preston temple was built. A day trip was a non-starter for the London temple, so it was a long and uncomfortable journey that would require at least three days for a single day in the temple. I often wish that I lived somewhere like my son does, where there are umpteen temples within a short drive; I just suspect that I would be lazier than he is and not use the opportunity properly. He is a temple worker and makes great use of the temple. My main resolution for 2020 is to increase my temple attendance and that of the ward. Preston temple rocks!

The following users thanked this post: AndrewR, dyany, Roper

Curelom

• Thousand Year Egg Club
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2020, 12:17:56 am »

Is this sarcasm? I can't tell.

Mildly, yes. Merely because there are so many temples in Utah, & most Utahns (& many others) live so close to one that they can wake up one morning & decide on the spur of the moment to go, whereas in most of the world, it takes more planning. There are still some Church members who have to travel for hours or longer, perhaps on more than one type of conveyance, perhaps needing passports & visas, to attend a temple once or twice in their lives.

So … no, I wasn't trying to be mean-sarcastic. But now that some folks will have to actually get on a freeway or a FrontRunner train to go to the temple, it will further enhance our perspective toward the faithful on the isles of the sea, or in China or Saudi Arabia, who would give their eyeteeth to be able to get to a temple in a single day's trip.

As for my other thought, I was still wondering if decommissioning a temple is an ordinance where someone of a specific priesthood office presides, where there is a ceremony or prayers, or they just pack up the sacred, valuable, & important items for safekeeping & give the keys to the project manager.

cook

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2020, 01:06:52 am »
I think it's the latter. But I might be wrong.

Iggy

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2020, 07:19:21 am »
curelom, I live approximately 2 hr 30 min [139.5 miles] from the nearest Temple. 10 years ago that was a one day trip. Set out early in the morning, get to the Temple. Do initiatory's for 5 sisters , then one endowment. Eat a meal and then head home.

I can't do that anymore, my poor aged body & medical issues won't allow for the one day trip even if someone else is doing the driving. So, I go up the day before and rent a motel room near the Temple for two nights [we LDS get a wonderful discount if when we book in advance directly with the motel and tell them we are going to the Temple]. Go to the temple the next day and take all the time there is to do initiatory's, then endowments. Eatling lunch at the Temple. Then eating dinner at one of the three restaurants nearby, then back to the motel, sleep and check out the next morning.

I have asked in RS if any of the sisters would like to go with me, paying for half the motel room and their own meals - only one sister took me up on it. We did 25 initiatory's each - half for her ancestors alone, then went through three endowment sessions, two for me and four for her. On the drive to the Temple we both were *Chatty Cathies*, on the way home we were silent. Even when I dropped her off at her house, all I could do was hug her and grin. whew talk about spirit filled!

So I understood your comment about the *poor souls* all too well. 

Before Seattle and Portland had temples and I was living in Seattle, we had to go to the Oakland temple. THAT was quit a trip. I went as a 14 year old with my stakes YM/YW to go do baptisms and confirmations.

LMAshton

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2020, 09:18:52 am »
There are still some Church members who have to travel for hours or longer, perhaps on more than one type of conveyance, perhaps needing passports & visas, to attend a temple once or twice in their lives.

I would argue that there are many Church members who have to travel for hours or longer. Take a look at a list of countries and how many temples they have, and note how many have 0. https://churchofjesuschristtemples.org/statistics/locations/

When I first moved to Sri Lanka in 2003, the closest temple at that time was Hong Kong, which is 5 and a half hours by plane, not including travelling to the airport, checkin, security, and so on. Now, the closest temple is in India, which is much closer, but still involves a flight.

Where we are in France, the closest temples are in Paris and Madrid. Both are at least a five hour train ride away, much longer if driving.

The closest I've ever lived to a temple was about, hmm, a six hour drive away.
Nauvoo Member #701 aka quidscribis, joined April 2003

The following users thanked this post: Iggy, Roper

TurkeyLurker

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2020, 11:42:08 am »
Where we are in France, the closest temples are in Paris and Madrid.

Have you been to the Paris Temple?  I'm just wondering if there is a rail line close by.  Sort of planning another Paris trip this spring.

AndrewR

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2020, 11:53:19 am »
There is a rail line that will get you to Gare des Chantiers (the rail station). From there there are regular buses which take you within a few minute walk, down the road, to the temple.

edited to say: - I should have mentioned that I have not travelled this way - I drove to France, and so used my car to get to the temple.
Don't ask me, I only live here.
Nauvoodle since March 2005 #1412

The following users thanked this post: TurkeyLurker

Taalcon

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2020, 11:53:55 am »
This news story just got linked up, and I don't remember having the 'decommissioning' being described before in such detail. It may have, I just don't recall it. It's quite interesting, especially in light of history (and also times when past Temples have been 'forcefully decommissioned', or, for example, when Nephi left the Lamanites with the Sacred Items and essentially decommissioned their Tabernacle/Tabernacle.

What does decommissioning involve?

During the decommissioning, the Church’s Temple Department works to remove sacred items from the building, including temple clothing, temple records and other items used in the completion of temple ordinances. As soon as this is completed, the temple is no longer considered a dedicated building, and a recommend is not needed for renovation crews to enter. Simultaneously, workers clean out the temple laundry, offices and custodial closets.

The following users thanked this post: AndrewR, Sparky, TurkeyLurker

TurkeyLurker

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2020, 12:05:25 pm »
Temple Square remains open during the renovation, with a new visitor experience available at the Conference Center.

I thought I had read in the Deseret News that they were also tearing down and rebuilding the visitors centers?

Taalcon

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 07, 2020, 12:58:13 pm »
I thought I had read in the Deseret News that they were also tearing down and rebuilding the visitors centers?

They are. What you quoted says to me that that during this period, the Conference Center will be serving as a temporary visitor's center of sorts.

* Recent Posts

Re: Current Events - US Politics Edition by Roper
[Today at 10:07:53 am]

Re: Current Events - US Politics Edition by Jana at Jade House
[Today at 05:51:57 am]

Re: Change In Ceremonial Temple Clothing by mosquito
[Today at 05:38:52 am]

Re: Change In Ceremonial Temple Clothing by Jana at Jade House
[Today at 05:35:38 am]

Re: Your favorite Rush Albums by JLM
[Today at 01:05:57 am]

Your favorite Rush Albums by Roper