Welcome to New Nauvoo

Author Topic: Household & travel hints  (Read 3970 times)

pnr

• MembersOnly
    • View Profile
Re: Household & travel hints
« Reply #15 on: February 20, 2018, 08:02:56 am »
have to look close up or probe among the bristles with a toothpick. ::)

May all your troubles be such first world ones  :)
Nauvoo 1270, Feb 2005

Iggy

• MembersOnly
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 20, 2018, 03:36:25 pm »
I soak all of our combs and brushes in an plastic 3 quart measure, in hot water and a healthy squirt of shampoo once a month. Before putting the brushes into the soapy water I use a rat tailed comb to clean the hair out, then a hair pick - finally I use an old, well used denture cleaning brush to scrub between the bristle to get the last of the hair and any built up dander plus to scrub the combs with. Then I let them all soak for a couple of hours, drain, rinse in hat water, then add about 1/8 cup of hibiclens to  2.5 qts of hot water and soak it all for 15 to 30 minutes. Remove combs and brushes, rinse in hot water, then lay on dry cloth to dry.

I do the same with the cats combs and brushes. Yep, I have two styles of brushes for the cats and two combs. One of the combs is a nit comb - it is the easiest way to look for fleas.

Curelom

• MembersOnly
  • Thousand Year Egg Club
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 20, 2018, 05:21:37 pm »
have to look close up or probe among the bristles with a toothpick. ::)

May all your troubles be such first world ones  :)

:D  I think a lot of helpful hints we share here are answers to first-world problems. Yeah, we're all very blessed, & I'm blessed to have a hairbrush at all. And to have hair. 8)

The following users thanked this post: LMAshton

Curelom

• MembersOnly
  • Thousand Year Egg Club
    • View Profile
Household & Travel Hints, Vol. 2
« Reply #18 on: March 15, 2020, 04:24:15 am »
This is the link to an old thread called "Household & Travel Hints' that got stranded in the General Category forum. I'm posting the link so anyone can go in & browse & see if they find anything useful, but this is the start of a new thread in a more appropriate location.

http://nauvoo.site/forum/index.php?topic=92.0

Any hints to save time, labor, your sanity, etc. when contending with household chores, packing for trips, keeping cockroaches away, etc. - bring them here!

So here is my first hint for Volume 2.

When packing for a trip, tuck a few plastic sandwich bags into your luggage, maybe in your toiletries case so you can find them later. Use a bag to avoid contact with the dirtiest & nastiest thing in most hotel rooms, the one with all the crevices & irregular surfaces that trap anything that people have on their paws after eating a Big Mac or microwave popcorn & licking their fingers, scratching their heads, picking their noses, changing their babies' diapers, going to the bathroom, or whatever else they do with their hands.

That disgusting thing, which most of us will pick up at least a couple of times in a day or night, is the TV remote. Even cleaning it with alcohol or hand cleaner won't catch all the cooties, so just cover them up.

The following users thanked this post: palmetto_gal

Iggy

• MembersOnly
    • View Profile
Re: Household & Travel Hints, Vol. 2
« Reply #19 on: March 15, 2020, 09:47:03 am »
Cooties ~ ~ ~  :o ;D  The last Hotel I stayed in had their remote already bagged, just like their drinking glasses.

But you are right, bring your own remote condom.

AndrewR

• MembersOnly
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 15, 2020, 12:40:46 pm »
remote condom.

What !?!?! :o

How do they work?
Don't ask me, I only live here.
Nauvoodle since March 2005 #1412

Iggy

• MembersOnly
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 15, 2020, 04:53:12 pm »
baggie over the tv remote

Curelom

• MembersOnly
  • Thousand Year Egg Club
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 15, 2020, 05:53:15 pm »
remote condom.

What !?!?! :o

How do they work?
ROFL.  ;D

They work like the "RW" ones work, by creating a barrier to prevent the passage of something between a transmitter & a recipient.  :)

Many Best Western hotels in the U.S. now have specially made remotes with a seamless membrane instead of the cootie-trap keypad. They might put it in a bag with a label saying it has been sanitized. But I clean it anyway, just because Y.N.K. Even before Covid, I've made a habit of cleaning hotel surfaces like the remote, the nightstand, desk, & bathroom vanity tops & drawer handles, toilet flush handle, light switches, fridge or microwave doors & controls, non-porous chairs or bed headboards, & doorknobs. It doesn't take long. A typical room takes about 5 minutes with 2-3 wads of TP & maybe that many squidges of hand sanitizer. The last time I stayed at a hotel was after COVID had gotten going, so I took a small bottle of isopropyl alcohol so I could conserve the hand cleaner for my hands. 

Cooties are no laughing matter.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2020, 06:08:35 pm by Curelom »

Iggy

• MembersOnly
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 15, 2020, 09:46:25 pm »
Curelom, my first husband and his entire family [mother, two sisters and one niece] called body lice cooties!

I travel with a container or Clorox or Lysol wet wipes in the car. When I am staying in Hotels/Motels I also wipe everything down w/paper towels AFTER I spray with same brand disinfecting spray. I also remove the bedspread - other than the 5 star Hotels - those seldom get properly laundered after the guest has checked out.

Hubby #1 and I traveled for 6 years never staying in one place for longer than 2 weeks. Only two exceptions to that. His working with the Stromberg-Carlson engineers in Rochester, NY for 2 months on working out the kinks in the EPABX Telephone system, and then for 3 months in the newly created Big Sky Montana Ski Resort. We traveled by car with our own pillows and hygiene products.

We never trusted the Motel staff to disinfect the bathroom or launder the bedspreads. We even traveled with an Electrolux canister vacuum and I would vacuum around the bed, move the mattress and clean the dust/cooties from under the headboard where the frame connected. THAT was always filthy!, and me with super thick hair that reached just under my bum I didn't want them to catch hold while I slept.

When we knew that we would be getting a motel-kitchenette or an apartment, we brought our own dishes, cookware, bed linens in an old steamer truck strapped to the top of our car. I even had a small travel iron, and a travel sewing machine.

Curelom

• MembersOnly
  • Thousand Year Egg Club
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 15, 2020, 11:16:46 pm »
Curelom, my first husband and his entire family [mother, two sisters and one niece] called body lice cooties!

I've always called any germ "cooties." In my family & social circle, we had hair lice issues only a couple of times as kids, so lice didn't play a big role in my early life. But any bacteria, bedbug, or parasite of any kind was generally known as a "cootie."

In a hotel, I might not totally swab every square inch, but there are things that I donít want any contact with, & the bedspread is one. I fold it down to the foot of the bed, & if itís heavy Iíll fold it back onto the opposite side of the bed from where Iíll sleep, because I donít like weight on my feet. If there is a blanket or duvet, I make sure I sleep in contact only with the sheets. If it's at all comfortable, I often use sheets alone as cover, at home or elsewhere. Hotel headboards are off limits, since I donít know how many heads were in contact with it & when it was cleaned. I wipe it with cooticide, but I still I scoot down in the bed enough so thereís no chance for contact with my head.

The idea of bare feet in a hotel room is another no-no. When shoes come off, sandals go on. When the shower is over, the feet go onto the fresh mat and get dried, then the sandals go on. If nature calls at night, the sandals go on.

Even though Iím sure housekeepers clean the bathroom countertops, I use the cooticide on it too, then I put my toiletries on a towel. Maybe not containers like skin care items or deodorant, but toothbrush & hairbrush for sure. I don't put bare food on a desk, nightstand, etc, but leave it in whatever it came in or what I wrapped it in when I packed it, or use paper towels, which are always in my car.

I'm not a germaphobe, but these are just reasonable precautions. You know the old saying that when you sleep with someone, you sleep with everyone they've ever slept with. Well, when you sleep in a hotel room, everyone who has slept in it recently is your roommate.

LMAshton

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 15, 2020, 11:30:13 pm »
Curelom, we can move that other thread here and then merge the two if that would work better.

Curelom

• MembersOnly
  • Thousand Year Egg Club
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 16, 2020, 12:57:26 am »
If you do that, it would be cool to combine them! Thanks :)

LMAshton

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 16, 2020, 01:11:52 am »
Done!

* Calendar

May 2020
Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16