Welcome to New Nauvoo

Author Topic: The Lost 116 Pages: Reconstructing the Book of Mormon's Missing Stories  (Read 231 times)

Taalcon

• View Profile
This book has finally been released.
I've been following its development for several years, read some early papers that were part of its presentation, listened to some podcast interviews with the author.
I'm several chapters into it, and I know this will be of deep interest to many of you here.

This is a book of scholarship, not a book claiming to bring an inspired revelation of the actual 116 pages. It also includes a new look and perspective at the process and history of the recovery of the plates, and the translation, and the significance of the Interpreters, as well as exploring the actual theft, and looking at what the evidence shows of what/who had become of them. It then goes on to reconstruct, using a variety of sources (including interviews with those who had been told about the content of the pages, analyses of the existing BoM text, etc) highly probable narratives that were contained within that version of the story which were not included in the Small Plates record.

The surprising thing is how focused all of these elements (both Joseph's process and the stories that were lost) are relevant to the development of the Temple.

I've barely begun, and it's already given me a lot of things to chew on. A great prelude giving some new thoughts to consider for context when heading into next year's Book of Mormon curriculum!

https://www.amazon.com/Lost-116-Pages-Reconstructing-Mormons-ebook/dp/B081S9K823/ref=sr_1_1?keywords=lost+116+pages&qid=1574946726&sr=8-1
« Last Edit: November 28, 2019, 08:46:24 am by Taalcon »

The following users thanked this post: dyany, Roper, Sparky

dyany

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • My blog
Re: The Lost 116 Pages: Reconstructing the Book of Mormon's Missing Stories
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2019, 10:51:18 am »
While I wouldn't mind knowing the content of the 116 pages, I find the greatest benefit of them not to be the content, but the incredible lesson which has hit me powerfully lately.
See, 29 years ago, God told me to do something, and it would have involved a change of my immediate plans that I was too weak to do at the time. I tried to do it later, but the time had passed that I needed to do it.
As a result of this transgression, my body has been permanently deeply damaged, I ended up in a hellish marriage, my financial viability extremely negatively impacted, and myself emotionally destroyed. Right now I am desperately trying to build my financial stability so that I can leave my husband, but it is terrifying because my health is not good and I am so emotionally damaged that I am sure I can never have a healthy relationship ever again. All because I didn't listen to God 29 years ago.

But it came to me a little over a week ago: Joseph screwed up. He didn't listen. He was too weak to say no to his friends. So the 116 pages were lost. He had to suffer for it, and lost the ability to translate for a while. But when he repented and came back and tried again, he found that God, 2400 years before, had prepared a backup. Knowing Joseph probably wouldn't be able to overcome his weakness.
Because it wasn't about having a clear path and just doing what he needed to do.
It was about addressing his weaknesses to better learn from them. to learn the negative impact of giving in to them, as well as the omniscience of God and why we need to listen to Him always.
And then He shows that He loves us and provides a backup so the important stuff gets covered anyway.
This is the only thing keeping me going right now. The idea that God has provided a backup for me, and I just need to repent, try, and find it.

THAT'S the lesson I get from the 116 pages.

The following users thanked this post: LMAshton, Scruffydog, palmetto_gal, Roper, Sparky, Taalcon

Taalcon

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2019, 11:09:19 am »
It's definitely a great lesson. One worth revisiting over again.
I find it interesting to learn what other additional lessons we might be able take away from it as well, and there's some additional insights that come into the story of Joseph and Martin and the Translation that are worth exploring as well.

The following users thanked this post: dyany, Roper, Sparky

Roper

• Thousand Year Egg Club
  • Earning my spurs.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2019, 04:13:49 pm »
Lost 116 pages.
Lost opportunities because of previous choices.
Lost friends and loved ones.
Lost faith.

Our God turns water into wine.

Let's go to the feast!

All grown-ups were once children...but only few of them remember it. ― Antoine de Saint-Exupéry, "The Little Prince."

The following users thanked this post: dyany, Sparky

Roper

• Thousand Year Egg Club
  • Earning my spurs.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2019, 09:05:21 am »
Dyany, you are an intelligent, articulate, and talented woman. You have a way of expressing compassion in words which bring peace and comfort to others. I hope you find some for yourself.
All grown-ups were once children...but only few of them remember it. ― Antoine de Saint-Exupéry, "The Little Prince."

The following users thanked this post: LMAshton, dyany, Sparky, Taalcon

Taalcon

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2019, 10:11:01 am »
Dyany, your comment also made me think of the title of a a Latter-day Saint's paraphrase of Romans, that he titled, "Grace Is Not God's Backup Plan".
It reminded me of an insight I had where I realized that likely one of the hardest things for us to accept in going along with this plan of mortality was the affirmation that, no matter what, we would sin, and do things that were offensive to our Divine Parents. It's part of why the opposing plan would have seemed so attractive - a promise of achieving the goal without sinning. You can do it, and you won't cause sorrow.

But no, that's not how it was to be. "Yes," we were likely told. "You will make mistakes. That is the plan. But I know your true intentions, and I've already forgiven you, and part of your journey in life will be to discover that forgiveness, and accept that it has already been given."

We came here to sin, and to accept our forgiveness.

It reminds me of an insight given about the Last Supper, how immediately after Jesus tells Peter he will deny him three times, if we ignore the chapter break, Jesus continues by immediately telling him to not let his heart be troubled by this, because He's going to prepare a place for him.

A message I get from it is, God is always working to provide a plan of restoration for everyone. And while the longer roads might seem like Backup Plans, it was part of the original plan that we would have several prepared for us. "Backup plans" are not A Backup Plan. They are part of The Plan.

It reminds me of another insight in how we are all pioneers because nobody has successfully navigated the full map of the Plan of Salvation in your body before.

Your pain and sorrow is real. I don't have the same experiences as you, and I do not wish you to think I am comparing them. But I made a choice against counsel years ago that also led to true permanent consequences for my family. But I have experienced what may seem to others as a 'backup plan', or others who as just 'the plan all along'. It didn't fix the previous problem that was called. There are still permanent consequences. While I don't feel comfortable calling what resulted either of those things (backup or original plan), I DO call the peace and joy and experiences that came following the sorrow and uncertainty and pain as something where I could see the hand of the Lord in all things, seeking to comfort, and seeking to show that God doesn't hold grudges, and doesn't wish to shame us. Grace. Something just ... given.

Anyway. Thank you, dyany. I hope I didn't give the impression at all that I was just passing over or disregarding your full original comments, insights, or experience.

The following users thanked this post: LMAshton, dyany, Roper, Sparky

dyany

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • My blog
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2019, 04:24:36 pm »
Taalcon, I didn't get that impression. I think I understand what you're saying, and I have to say that the 'backup plan' bit is more of a mortal view, yanno?  Sure, God knew we were gonna do it. He planned for that. He knows us well enough for that. So in that sense it is always 'The' plan, but for us, since it's making up for our screwup, it still feels like a backup. Even if God had all the parts lined up nicely, including our inevitable screwup.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2019, 05:06:31 pm by dyany »

The following users thanked this post: LMAshton, Roper, Sparky, Taalcon

Taalcon

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2019, 08:33:58 am »
Anyway, I finished the book.  I very much recommend it. It definitely made me immediately want to jump back in to another fresh read of the BoM with what it had to offer. It also added some interesting new ideas that brought insight into the Temple experience for me, as well as Joseph's particular dedication to recovering it. They, frankly, blew my mind, and have caused me to substantially rethink many assumptions I'd held.

Writing the book was part of the process that led the author back into faith in the Restoration and Joseph's prophetic calling. It's a work of fantastic scholarship, but also very clearly written from the perspective of faith. I think it opens up a lot of new avenues of exploration, and I'm excited to see where others go with it.

The following users thanked this post: LMAshton, Roper, Sparky

AndrewR

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2019, 09:51:03 am »
They, frankly, blew my mind, and have caused me to substantially rethink many assumptions I'd held.

If you were to open another thread on this I would be interested.
Don't ask me, I only live here.
Nauvoodle since March 2005 #1412

The following users thanked this post: Roper

Taalcon

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2019, 10:19:17 am »
Will do. I think I'll need to sit on it for a moment to digest some of my thoughts without just doing a bad paraphrase of what's actually laid out in the book itself.

The following users thanked this post: AndrewR, LMAshton, Roper

Taalcon

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2019, 02:42:21 pm »
They, frankly, blew my mind, and have caused me to substantially rethink many assumptions I'd held.

If you were to open another thread on this I would be interested.

Here you go: http://nauvoo.site/forum/index.php?topic=859.msg13799#msg13799

The following users thanked this post: Roper

* Top Posters

Curelom
1679 Posts
Roper Roper
1569 Posts
dyany dyany
980 Posts
LMAshton LMAshton
841 Posts
N3uroTypical N3uroTypical