Welcome to New Nauvoo

Author Topic: Substitutes  (Read 174 times)

nitasmile

• View Profile
Substitutes
« on: October 18, 2019, 10:49:13 pm »
  I am curious if there is a formal policy on the pecking order/preferred order of asking someone to be a primary substitute?
  Is it in a church Handbook that the substitutes should 1st come from the parents of the primary kids, then other subs OR is it anyone?
  A few weeks ago, I did complete the new training class.
  My frustration is a friend asked me to sub, then quickly said disregard as the other teacher said parents of the class should be asked first, then the regular sub list.
 [In the past, I have been on the sub list and I think I am still on it but don't know for sure as it may have been updated].
   I know this is a dumb question but it is hurtful, in that it can be emotionally hard for me to help in primary since I don't have kids. Then I was willing to help..but now it is like I am not good enough since they want "parents of the kids first".
Just wondering if this is the standard way it is done? I have been a sub many times so this was a first.

cook

• View Profile
Re: Substitutes
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2019, 11:52:03 pm »
Now that it is the two people teaching, it's usually the other teacher who teaches and for us the presidence finds or comes and sits as the second adult. We also have one called substitute teacher one can ask, at sometimes have had more, often people with Stake callings. But the policy has been you can ask that person or the parents or someone else - often the teacher's spouse, because it is convenient. When I was in the Primary presidency there were no rulrs about who to ask, but it is very common to ask parents because often it is thought they know many if the kids in the class already.

nitasmile

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2019, 07:02:46 am »
Thank you Cook for responding! I understand convenience. I am conflicted on this issue... With all the and princess about supporting the children and they use, I just seems to say we don't want you! Those of us without kids need to learn the lessons of life and mortality as well. I am tired of being willing to help and having that help rejected. But again, I am conflicted.

pnr

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2019, 04:12:13 pm »
I'm so very sorry that it hurt you.   I'm also grateful that we get the blessings for being willing to help, even when it turns out we don't have to help.

I think this depends on the primary.   In recent years, many wards have been going to pre-cleared substitute lists alone (and combining classes when there aren't two team teachers.
Nauvoo 1270, Feb 2005

nitasmile

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2019, 01:46:21 pm »
Thank you PNR. Sometimes I am too sensitive. Sounds like it might have been a local preference though I had subbed twice this past summer. Even one time a couple years ago, a sis posted her brother had just died in a tragic way, I immediately message her I could sub if she wanted. She was on the plane getting ready to leave and accepted the offer. Sigh. I hate being oversensitive yet I dislike feeling 10th place choice...
Anyway,

* Top Posters

Curelom
1673 Posts
Roper Roper
1552 Posts
dyany dyany
969 Posts
LMAshton LMAshton
835 Posts
N3uroTypical N3uroTypical
680 Posts