Welcome to New Nauvoo

Author Topic: The House of Israel  (Read 2177 times)

Scruffydog

• View Profile
Re: The House of Israel
« Reply #30 on: April 05, 2017, 04:52:54 pm »
Slippery slope, IMHO

I think that depends very much on how you approach it. If it's about teaching your hobby horse, then there is a real risk of mixing the doctrines of men into the real thing.  If it's about being sensitive to the nature of your class, ie going a bit off manual because teaching a lesson about the joys of happy families to a class of kids all from broken homes might require a bit of adaptation to provide them with a meaningful lesson that can help them understand that happy families might be an aspiration if it isn't their current reality.  Horses for courses, and we are told to go with the Spirit when teaching rather than slavishly following the manual.  It's important not to get prideful and feel that we are better placed to know what needs to be taught, but we have been given agency and the gifts of the Spirit to be able to make good choices. It might be a reason for the constant exhortation to prayerfully prepare the lessons  :)

The following users thanked this post: Roper

Roper

• Earning my spurs.
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 05, 2017, 05:44:16 pm »
There's this from "Teaching in the Savior's Way":

Be Ready Always

Informal teaching moments pass quickly, so it is important to take advantage of them when they arise. For example, a class member’s comment about a new movie with a harmful message could be an opportunity, as the Spirit directs, to contrast the Lord’s standards with the world’s ways. A rainstorm could be a chance to talk about how the gospel shelters us from many of life’s storms. These conversations are most effective at the time the opportunity arises, not the next time the topic comes up in a manual. Because such moments are unexpected, you can’t prepare for them as you would prepare for a lesson. However, you can prepare yourself by being “ready always” (1 Peter 3:15) and sensitive to the Spirit. The Savior did not see teaching as a role He took on once a week; instead, being a teacher was part of who He was. If you see yourself as a gospel teacher at all times, you can turn any moment into a teaching moment.
That doesn't let teachers off the hook for preparing for a lesson, expecting they can just "teach by the Spirit" (Mormon-ese for "B.S.ing your way through it). But it does change the emphasis from strictly following a scope and sequence to tailoring your instruction to meet the needs of the individuals in your class. 

Let the Holy Spirit guide;
Let him teach us what is true.
He will testify of Christ,
Light our minds with heaven's view.

- Hymn 143

AndrewR_admin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 05, 2017, 08:34:22 pm »
Not using a manual is key to Come, Follow Me. That's why there isn't a manual - as such. There are resources, and there are some lesson outlines.

However, the lesson you teach should always be the one your students need.

JLM

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 07, 2017, 02:09:38 am »
Slippery slope.... ::)

One example of when I "did my own thing" was when the week before trek I gave a history lesson on the migration and settlement of the great basin by the pioneers including a timeline of migration periods (handcarts were short lived), where the pioneers came from (mostly the NE US and northern Europe), the raw numbers of how people arrived (most came by train), and BY quotes about the handcart experiment (he considered it mostly a failure, hence the focus on building the RR).  I figured some context was important before they went.

I've also done lessons on atonement theory, the structure and origin of the Bible and an overview of other faiths' beliefs.  Each of these lessons was in response to a question from one of the youth.  When I have gone off manual in cases like these I have found the kids to be highly engaged.  They are eager and ready to learn, but too often we spoon feed them the same mush we fed them in primary.

Anyway, I'm currently callingless at this point so I can't drag anyone down the slope with me right now.  Better enjoy it while I can.

The following users thanked this post: AndrewR_admin, Roper, Taalcon

* Top Posters

Curelom
899 Posts
Roper Roper
796 Posts
dyany dyany
646 Posts
LMAshton LMAshton
530 Posts
CrowGirl CrowGirl
401 Posts