Welcome to New Nauvoo

Author Topic: Book of Mormon Videos  (Read 321 times)

Taalcon

• View Profile
Book of Mormon Videos
« on: September 27, 2019, 04:26:04 pm »
I'm sure many of you have seen that, since last week, the Church has begun releasing the first 'season' of Book of Mormon videos. On Fridays, they release a full 'episode' (~20 minutes), then throughout the week, they release the same covered material in smaller bite-size chunks.

The Lord Commands Lehi's Family to Leave Jerusalem | 1 Nephi 1 -2 (18:22)

Nephi is Led by the Spirit to Obtain the Plates of Brass | 1 Nephi 3 - 5 (25:52)

Ultimately, so far, I think these are really well done productions. I have some quibbles about some specific choices, some little, some a bit bigger, but I'll leave that perhaps for another time. I do think they've also made some very good choices which will open up some new perspectives for long-time readers. I'll be watching this project with much interest.

cook

• View Profile
Re: Book of Mormon Videos
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2019, 12:04:34 am »
I'm sure they will do good. I've only seen the first one, and I just wonder, with all the money they:'ve used, couldn't they have made them look a bit less American.

Nephi could look a bit younger in the first version. The age gaps between parents and siblings just seems too big to me, by the looks.

dyany

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • My blog
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2019, 11:11:59 am »
Watched the second today (haven't seen any others)

I feel like Nephi's age is perfect--he's supposed to be tall/big for his age, after all--but I feel like Lehi & Sariah look a bit too old.  She's supposed to bear two more children out there in the wilderness, you know.  As to 'too American'--I'm not sure what aspects you are referring to. The whole production, to me, seems relatively low-budget.  Not super cheap, mind you, but they seem to be relying on lower-cost local actors, probably mostly (if not all) LDS, which will greatly limit their options.

The part that got me up in arms was at the end where they come back to the camp and Sariah is there cooking food. COOKING food. Which, as revealed in chapter 17 of 1 Nephi, they were told NOT to do and didn't do. And lest anyone come back with "it just said they weren't to make MUCH fire," I will counter with the fact that they weren't to cook their food, as God was making it sweet for them. Fire has other uses, which likely were what the few exceptions were.

I know it's a small thing. But I need an attention to detail. Same as 'by small and simple things are great things brought to pass,' so to by small and simple things are good and pure things eroded, diluted, and defiled.

JLM

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2019, 03:35:23 pm »
I've wondered if Saria was a younger second wife to Lehi and that his first wife died sometime after Lemual was born.    It would make a lot of contextual sense.  It would explain how Saria would still be able to bear Jacob and Joseoh with multiple grown children.  It would also help explain the enduring resentment between L&L and Nephi.  Perhaps Ismael was his father-in-law from his first marriage.  I suspect the Lehi family dynamic was a lot more complicated than what the BoM explicitly states.

The following users thanked this post: Traela

Taalcon

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2019, 04:35:01 pm »
My wife's parents had a surprise last child when she and her brother were adults, and her parents were in their forties. There's a nearly 20 year age gap. So that part doesn't seem implausible to me.

dyany

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • My blog
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2019, 04:53:42 pm »
It's not implausible to me, either, especially in a culture where most women married in their teens.  My maternal grandparents married in their 20s and still had their 9th child when their eldest was on his mission. We know Nephi, though he was the 4th child, was 'young,' so possibly mid to late teens. Entirely plausible that Laman was only 5 or 6 years older, so early twenties.  Technically, most women have about 30 years of fertility though that blows most peoples' minds because we avoid teen pregnancies and most women try to avoid having kids after 40 (though they are generally fertile into their 50s).

pnr

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2019, 07:33:57 pm »
couldn't they have made them look a bit less American.

They tried hard to invite indigenous people's family to casting calls, doing a fair amount of recruiting in florida in areas with significant such populations.
Nauvoo 1270, Feb 2005

cook

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2019, 02:49:18 pm »
To me, Nephi looks like an American teenboy. The way he looks and the way he walks etc. I do know the stereotypes of Jews and that they're not accurate, so it's not that, even though I have a kid from Israel in my class right now. I understand that they wanted perhaps him to look "clean" and with a light of sorts in his countenance, with hairless arms etc but to me it just looks out of place. Sam isn't much better.

But of course most of the image comes from the way they speak. They speak American. That just a bit spoils it. But I understand why it must be.

JLM

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2019, 05:10:19 pm »
Well, to be fair, the fake British accent they gave Jesus un the Bible videos was a bit silly too.

I'm curious if the videos will portray the already present indigenous populations or are they going to pretend the continent was empty when they arrive.

Taalcon

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2019, 03:02:19 pm »
Ishmael's Household Joins Lehi's Family | 1 Nephi 7 (12:31)

I think a missed opportunity is to not have started these out with an older King Nephi writing and relating this story and even adding in his narration to bridge segments later in life, clearly presenting him as the author/framer of this version of the story. I think the presence of the narrator/abridger is a big part of the Book of Mormon narrative, and think this is something small that could have a substantial value add.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2019, 03:07:46 pm by Taalcon »

JLM

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2019, 12:41:08 am »
Taalcon, very few members read the BoM that way.  The majority read it as a matter of fact historical recitation.

Roper

• Thousand Year Egg Club
  • Earning my spurs.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 05, 2019, 12:59:02 am »
Yeah..."The First Book of Nephi" sounds much more scriptural than "Nephi's Memoirs."

Taalcon

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 05, 2019, 09:04:44 am »
Taalcon, very few members read the BoM that way.  The majority read it, as a matter of fact, historical recitation.

Hence the missed opportunity. One of the best and most influential books I've read on the Book of Mormon that really had an influence on my appreciation for and approach to the text is Grant Hardy's 'Understanding the Book of Mormon: A Reader's Guide'. A big emphasis was on focusing on the narrators and doing a close read of the text based on what they are actually telling us, as opposed to what assumptions we often bring with us to the text. Some of the observations have remained with me ever since.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2019, 11:41:50 am by Taalcon »

The following users thanked this post: Roper

Taalcon

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 11, 2019, 10:05:44 am »
Lehi Sees a Vision of the Tree of Life | 1 Nephi 8 - (13:06)

This was quite well done. I'm looking forward to seeing how Nephi's version is presented.

The following users thanked this post: Roper

* Top Posters

Curelom
1643 Posts
Roper Roper
1524 Posts
dyany dyany
956 Posts
LMAshton LMAshton
825 Posts
N3uroTypical N3uroTypical
653 Posts