Welcome to New Nauvoo

Author Topic: Family History records are *a mess*  (Read 225 times)

Enochscion

• View Profile
Family History records are *a mess*
« on: September 15, 2019, 08:51:04 pm »
I haven't managed to accomplish as much family history work as I hope to someday. I feel the Spirit very strongly when I do get records ready so I can do temple ordinances for my ancestors, but it requires an enormous amount of emotional energy to do the family history stuff to get there. I can't do it very often.

But today I clicked one of those emails from the Church, because it said one of my ancestors served a mission, and being a convert with few connections on the charts, that intrigued me.

Now, I know the records aren't perfect, but wow was this stuff *a mess*!  I'm not even going to go into it other than to say it was like one of those puzzles where the man wearing the green hat did not have a name that began with A, but all of the women who's names ended with Y went through the left door, and only the girls in the orange shoes had dogs... Except that it was unsolvable. There is literally a list of children born years after the death of the father. I start thinking, "well maybe the mistake is...", and dig into the sources, on a few different angles, until I realize there is a whole web-work of mess going on here.

Is this the *norm*? Honestly, if that's the case we might as well just start doing review temple ordinances for the living and put work for the dead on hiatus until the Millennium, because we're going to have to do 95% of it over again.

Is there a dedicated spot on each individual's record to just go point out problems? Because I can tear down with the best of them (lol).

I take this stuff seriously. I'm *afraid* I'm going to make a mistake when I put any information in myself, and I'm talking about direct ancestors with tombstones or family records. This is just like filling out information on an ordinance certificate for the living as far as I'm concerned. These are people, not names! Then I go on there and find stuff so sloppy it's virtually useless except as a pile of stuff to sift through and mark as a bad connection or something.

For those of you with more experience, was I just hitting a bad spot in the record-keeping, or it normally like that? I'm sure we'll keep working on getting the records to work better, since it's kind of a salvific priority for us, but I wonder what the current state of accuracy actually looks like.

Jen

• View Profile
Re: Family History records are *a mess*
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2019, 11:48:42 pm »
This is why they ideally want 3 sources before you do the temple work, 2 if you're pretty confident in their accuracy.

The following users thanked this post: Iggy

AndrewR

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2019, 02:22:49 am »
I don't know about other temples, but for ours I can see this getting worse.

There is very little in the way of temple file for the baptistry. So, if youth wish to come, and new members, then need to be bringing their own names. For third generation members - the majority in our ward - most has been done. For new members they are just starting a process - and eager to go. Add to this limited numbers of people to call as T&FH Consultants, and the "mess" will get bigger.

People, desperate to go to the temple will put in anyone and submit it.
Don't ask me, I only live here.
Nauvoodle since March 2005 #1412

Palmon

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2019, 09:00:55 am »
I hate Family Search. It is too easy to put in wrong information. Years ago, I thought I found an elusive man and his birth family and put it out into the genealogy sites popular at the time - Rootsweb, Ancestry, etc..  Well, it was wrong and I tried to correct it. I corrected it in my lines but once published, it never goes away in the virtual world. Now, no matter how many times I correct it on family search, someone connects our ancestor to the wrong family. I can show the documentation that proves the error, I've put that into Family Search. No matter. It'll be one of those things that will have to be corrected in the millennium. Meanwhile, the man's family is still waiting to be found.

I wrote about that just to demonstrate how hard it is to correct bad information once it's published somewhere. My sister uses a computer-based program to keep her files clean. I I just use Ancestry and pray that it doesn't go out of business.

I think that our responsibility is to do what we can for our ancestors. Stressing over the current shape of Family Search doesn't help the work progress. Keep your own records clean and work from them. Record on Family Search the sources you find, why you believe your work is correct. It is the only way to stay sane. And then don't freak out when someone changes it.

The following users thanked this post: AndrewR, Iggy

N3uroTypical

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2019, 12:23:11 pm »
Something tells me stuff like this is a common frustration source...
What-about-ism is pointless. I like to think most people's responses to such arguments would be, "Yup. That person, who happened to wear the same political jersey I do/did, was totally wrong on that, too."
-Taalcon

The following users thanked this post: Sunday21

pnr

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2019, 03:12:35 pm »
The records have been mixed up forever, especially when people attached their own trees to wrong ones.   Everyone should start with themselves and move backwards, confirming with the data that is now available that might not have been when the stuff on line was put there.

Having said that, the missionary record says my paternal grandfather and my maternal grandfather served at the same time in the same mission.   I have never heard of that until yesterday, certainly no indication of that in my whole life time.  (Now that I think about it, maybe that was because that grandfather died before  my parents ever met.)
Nauvoo 1270, Feb 2005

curlybat

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2019, 08:52:07 pm »
Yeah, I'm not too fond of the one tree thing with FamilySearch. Had some exposure to it previously with OneGreatFamily which I abandoned pretty quick. Maintaining a tree in Ancestry and working with FamilySearch at the same time is also time consuming.  I would prefer a private tree that you can migrate to the public tree.
Still TheOne and only me who happens to now be curlybat.

Nauvoodle since September 2001 (#431)

dyany

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • My blog
« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2019, 09:25:37 pm »
I use RootsMagic for my private tree and it will sync up with FamilySearch if I want it to. Keeps all sorts of good data in it, too.

The following users thanked this post: Iggy

* Top Posters

Curelom
1643 Posts
Roper Roper
1524 Posts
dyany dyany
956 Posts
LMAshton LMAshton
825 Posts
N3uroTypical N3uroTypical
653 Posts