Welcome to New Nauvoo

Author Topic: The US Politics thread  (Read 148 times)

dyany

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • My blog
The US Politics thread
« on: September 10, 2019, 09:06:59 pm »
Has been temporarily locked.  It will stay locked until next Tuesday, 9/17/19.  If the bickering shows up in another thread, it will also be locked AND the instigator will be put into time out (have posting rights rescinded) for 1 week.

It is temporary because I know you all know better and can behave better.  Please don't try to prove me wrong.

N3uroTypical

• View Profile
Re: The US Politics thread
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2019, 10:51:22 pm »
Sorry for my infantile post.  I was going for light-hearted, I messed up.

I'm trying for a more reasonable post in the New Charter thread.
What-about-ism is pointless. I like to think most people's responses to such arguments would be, "Yup. That person, who happened to wear the same political jersey I do/did, was totally wrong on that, too."
-Taalcon

The following users thanked this post: dyany

dyany

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • My blog
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2019, 11:06:08 pm »
Thanks NT.  I think everyone can make mistakes when reacting.  I hope the week will give everyone a chance to cool down.

JLM

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2019, 01:04:22 am »
I thought NT's post was an ironically humorous comment at the sudden maternally Orwellian shift at this site.  I didn't see anything offensive at all.  Whatever. 

Curelom

• Thousand Year Egg Club
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2019, 02:30:23 am »
And here most of us were just trying to have nice reasonable courteous discussions about a topic that doesn't lend itself to nice reasonable courteous discussions.

Now I'll have to save up all my links for the next week.  ::)

The following users thanked this post: AndrewR, curlybat

JLM

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2019, 08:30:28 am »
Exactly, Curelom.  I may not agree with much of NT's political leanings, but by golly, I want to hear what he has to say.  I really want to understand his mindset that leads to his conclusions. If all opinion sharing is out, then mutual understanding is greatly frustrated.

Taalcon

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2019, 10:23:39 am »
It's possible to share opinions without going into direct insults, and also possible to see someone acting in a way that does not seem conducive to you and to find a way to de-escalate rather than double down.

It's both - the flat-out insults, and the melodramatic responses - that keep me from feeling I have any venue worth discussing my views anywhere else. I would hope that would not also irrevocably infest this place as well.

I want to be challenged. It's possible to challenge without insulting. Sometimes challenges can feel like insults when they are not. On the other hand, sometimes an insult is just unkind, no matter how justified the lobber may think it is.

There's a difference between just dumping a quote stating all who believe a certain way are decieving themselves, and doing so with a commentery such as, "I've honestly often felt the same way myself. Yet there are those who I respect who don't see what seems clear to me, and I want to understand better." - in my opinion, THAT is conducive to a conversation, and is inviting learning that can be edifying, where the former is not.

The former is throwing a bomb. The latter is being honest coupled with charitably seeking understanding.

There's been times I've had a bomb thrown at me here, and I've taken the work to try to reframe the comment into the question I think should have been asked. Sometimes that has resulted in better understanding, and a good conversation. Other times, the bomb-thrower simply keeps throwing bombs, and I simply stop engaging.

And there's times when in frustration I've thrown a bomb. Sometimes I realize it myself, and edit, apologize, or both almost instantly. Sometimes, it's taken someone explaining why I was said was hurtful in a way not intended, or the full impact of what I DID mean was made clearer for me to see where I could have been better.

We can do this. But it takes everyone participating being willing to do the whole, "Is it I?" thing. Because sometimes it is, sometimes it isn't, and sometimes it's both.

« Last Edit: September 11, 2019, 10:30:21 am by Taalcon »

The following users thanked this post: LMAshton, dyany, Iggy

AndrewR

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2019, 11:59:25 am »
The gut reaction of most people to those with differing opinions is that there must be something wrong with them.

It's not just politics. It include musical tastes ("why does anyone like .... type music, they must be nuts"), food, drink, art, the list goes on. Anyone who doesn't see it your way must be an idiot - and it's OK to say that, because everyone else must know they are an idiot too.

But all tastes, including political hue, are based very much around lived experience, influences growing up, etc.

I was never, ever going to be a Labour supporter - why? Because most of my school teacher were practically communists (late 70's early 80's) with extreme left wing thinking, which of course pushed me in the opposite direction. Or course, being the son of a Bank Director, who was also the Commodore of the Royal Yacht Club, didn't really help lead me in the direction of left-wing politics (which is a lot more left-wing than the Democrats).

Of course, the need to internalise our thinking in relation to others' mental capacity, and not state it, is what's important.

As members of the Lord's Church, with the knowledge we have of His Gospel, it ought to be possible to do so.

Don't ask me, I only live here.
Nauvoodle since March 2005 #1412

The following users thanked this post: Palmon, Taalcon

Roper

• Thousand Year Egg Club
  • Earning my spurs.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2019, 07:53:53 pm »
"The gut reaction of most people to those with differing opinions is that there must be something wrong with them."

Everyone who drives slower than me is an idiot. Everyone who drives faster is a maniac.  ;D
« Last Edit: September 11, 2019, 08:19:38 pm by Roper »

Scruffydog

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2019, 03:50:38 am »
I am a self-confessed commie pinko subversive, which I have never hidden. One of my best friends is a Tory MP who remains staunchly pro-Johnson and pro-Leave. We do not fight, we do not belittle each other or each other's opinions. It is possible to do this, particularly where you both recognise that your faith is the more important issue and you happen to share very similar attitudes in your faith

The following users thanked this post: LMAshton, dyany, Iggy, Roper, Palmon

dyany

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • My blog
« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2019, 09:29:40 pm »
FYI: the US Politics thread is reopened.  Sorry it's a day late; I've been out of town for a week and I'm behind on EVERYTHING.

Use the power wisely, my friends.

The following users thanked this post: LMAshton

* Top Posters

Curelom
1611 Posts
Roper Roper
1484 Posts
dyany dyany
943 Posts
LMAshton LMAshton
818 Posts
N3uroTypical N3uroTypical