Welcome to New Nauvoo

Author Topic: Discussion New Nauvoo Charter  (Read 474 times)

mirkwood

• View Profile
Re: New Nauvoo Charter
« Reply #15 on: September 07, 2019, 02:41:51 pm »
I show up from time to time.  I will continue to do so...from time to time.
preppercop.blogspot.com

The following users thanked this post: palmetto_gal, Roper

Patty Rain

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 07, 2019, 06:55:15 pm »
One other comment - it's not a matter of a charter OR a set of rules. It can also be both.

Personally, I don't mind having members of the forum who are not members of the church as long as they uphold the same set of expectations. People who are investigating or people who've been excommunicated but are working on getting their membership back are fine with me.

People who will argue - and I do mean argue - about whether the church is true or not, no. I don't feel like defending my faith to non-believers. I don't have the energy for that.

I agree
Time for a change.  I am yungmom, but have wanted a new username for some time.

The following users thanked this post: LMAshton, Roper

Curelom

• Thousand Year Egg Club
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 07, 2019, 11:47:29 pm »
Yes, Curelom, as Laurie said, there was an announcement sent out.  I ticked that box when I created this thread to make sure everyone knew about this because it is important.  If it brings back members who have left because the forum has not been living up to these types of things, all the better.

Thanks - I realized that when I went to check my e-mail later (I had come here first). And I was glad to see some old friends come back. :)

It seems many of us agree about welcoming anyone who agrees to comply with the charter and/or expectations of members. It isn't so different from being in church, where the Lord welcomes any of His children regardless of their actual Church membership status or what they believe.

The following users thanked this post: LMAshton, Roper, Patty Rain

LoReilly

• Greenie
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 08, 2019, 12:09:48 am »
Charter looks good!  :)

The following users thanked this post: LMAshton, Roper

LMAshton

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 08, 2019, 02:56:06 am »
Good to see you here, mirkwood and LoReilly!
Nauvoo Member #701 aka quidscribis, joined April 2003

The following users thanked this post: Roper

Roper

• Thousand Year Egg Club
  • Earning my spurs.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 08, 2019, 12:18:57 pm »
"While members are not required to share core beliefs, members are required to adhere to expectations.

Thanks, NT. Often the simplest solutions are the best.

I have moved many of the revisions I put forth in the "version 2" charter back into the first version posted at the top of this thread. I also did a little word smithing to tighten up the language and to reduce the length of the charter. I'll continue to revise and edit that version at the top as we go forward.

Please keep the suggestions coming!

The following users thanked this post: dyany

Roper

• Thousand Year Egg Club
  • Earning my spurs.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 08, 2019, 12:26:26 pm »
One other comment - it's not a matter of a charter OR a set of rules. It can also be both.

Personally, I don't mind having members of the forum who are not members of the church as long as they uphold the same set of expectations. People who are investigating or people who've been excommunicated but are working on getting their membership back are fine with me.

People who will argue - and I do mean argue - about whether the church is true or not, no. I don't feel like defending my faith to non-believers. I don't have the energy for that.
+1. There are many other places to debate about the truthfulness of the church. I don't want Nauvoo to become one of them.

The following users thanked this post: dyany, Iggy, Sparky, Palmon, Taalcon

palmetto_gal

• Old forum #2268; registered 13 August 2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 08, 2019, 04:17:15 pm »
I didn't get the aforementioned email, but I usually visit daily.  No harm, no foul.

The following users thanked this post: Iggy, Roper

JLM

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 08, 2019, 07:25:25 pm »
The charter uses language that is very church focused.  My concern is that potential new participants may view that Nauvoo discussions are to be exclusively church focused, which is obviously not the case.

I'm a little co concerned about the language of due respect for prophetic authority.  Does that mean "when the proohet speaks the thinking is done" or is there room for disagreement on specific statements while acknowledging his authority to establish church policy? One potential risk is where church leaders have made statements that contradict each other discussion may devolve into "my preferred GA is more correct that your preferred GA."

Again with the church focused language, it is unclear if non-church sources may be cited or discussed.  I would like for the charter to be clear that any topic of discussion is ok, as long as it is respected to core LDS beliefs.

Roper

• Thousand Year Egg Club
  • Earning my spurs.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 08, 2019, 09:40:29 pm »
JLM, thanks for your thoughts. Respect does not mean that the thinking is done. Hmm..I'll think of how to word that part.

"I would like for the charter to be clear that any topic of discussion is ok, as long as it is respected to core LDS beliefs." Will you please provide a suggested addition or revision?

Edit: With guidance from the Gospel Topics section on prophets, I have changed "In exploring and discussing gospel doctrines and church policies, we show due respect for prophetic authority," to "In exploring and discussing gospel topics and church policy, we proceed with the premise that prophets are inspired leaders called to speak for the Lord." I think that will shift the interpretation from one of finality to one which allows for ongoing light and knowledge.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2019, 09:52:46 pm by Roper »

The following users thanked this post: palmetto_gal, Iggy, Sparky, Taalcon

N3uroTypical

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 10, 2019, 10:13:27 pm »
Call for clarity in the charter.

Option 1: "We allow personal insults and/or namecalling.  A certain thickness of skin isn't too much to ask, we're all adults here."
Option 2: "Personal insults and/or namecalling is not permitted, and is a reportable and actionable offense."

Examples of personal insults:
- Quoting an article saying something like "everyone except people who ride the short bus know this is a problem"
- Responding to a poster claiming X, with something like "it's funny when neo-Nazis try to use X in their argument"
- Talking about a public poll, and saying something like "it's hard to believe that 20% of people are idiots, but here we are"

I'm pretty sure I can be happy here either way, but the ambiguity is killing me.
What-about-ism is pointless. I like to think most people's responses to such arguments would be, "Yup. That person, who happened to wear the same political jersey I do/did, was totally wrong on that, too."
-Taalcon

Roper

• Thousand Year Egg Club
  • Earning my spurs.
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 10, 2019, 11:48:39 pm »
"We avoid the spirit of contention" and "We avoid divisive communication" are not clear enough?

If you want to create an exhaustive list of specific infractions, be my guest. I'm not going to do it.

The following users thanked this post: LMAshton, dyany, Iggy, Taalcon

JLM

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 11, 2019, 01:10:08 am »
I'd also rather avoid unnecessary legalism.  Seems rather OT to me.  I prefer NT's "thick skin" approach over this namby pamby, gotta protect all those delicate Millennial feelings we're seeing too often at some universities these days.  Safe zones.... ::)

Roper

• Thousand Year Egg Club
  • Earning my spurs.
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 14, 2019, 10:29:16 am »
It's been a week. The suggestions have dropped off. Are we ready to formally adopt the charter as written?

The following users thanked this post: N3uroTypical

Iggy

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 14, 2019, 11:31:42 am »
It's been a week. The suggestions have dropped off. Are we ready to formally adopt the charter as written?
Yes - I vote yes as it is written.

* Top Posters

Curelom
1611 Posts
Roper Roper
1484 Posts
dyany dyany
943 Posts
LMAshton LMAshton
818 Posts
N3uroTypical N3uroTypical