Welcome to New Nauvoo

Author Topic: Politics threads and appropriate behavior  (Read 3214 times)

Roper

• Administrator
  • Thousand Year Egg Club
  • Earning my spurs.
    • View Profile
Re: Politics threads and appropriate behavior
« Reply #45 on: September 06, 2019, 12:37:37 am »
Gee...umm...thanks, Andrew <eyeroll>

I used the Old Nauvoo charter as a starting place. Here is a first draft. Everyone, please provide suggestions for revisions.

New Nauvoo Charter

As members of this Nauvoo forum, we share the experiences of life and service as disciples of Jesus Christ. We learn from each other to better serve our Lord and our brothers and sisters.

In order to walk the path of discipleship together, we agree to the following principles which are inspired by our covenants and convictions:

We believe that God is our Eternal Father and that we are His children. In all of our communication and interactions, we treat each other as children of God.

We believe that Jesus Christ is our Savior. We seek to conduct ourselves as disciples of Christ.

We believe that the Gospel of Jesus Christ and the organization of His church were restored through the prophet Joseph Smith. We sustain the First Presidency and Quorum of the Twelve Apostles as prophets, seers, and revelators. We support them as having authority to receive revelation to guide the Church. In exploring and discussing gospel doctrines and church policies, we show due respect for prophetic authority.

We participate in Nauvoo as equals. We bring to forum discussions such knowledge and ideas as we have gained through study and experience; however, we do not seek special privilege for our ideas. We may demonstrate our ideas with reference to scripture or to the published teachings of latter-day prophets, as well as through personal experiences and our own best reasoning; however, if our sources must remain secret, then we should not contribute to the discussion.

We respect the fact that members come from a variety of backgrounds and experiences and have differences in interpretation and opinion. We may prefer our own ideas and feel them to be well-supported by scripture and by latter-day prophets. At all times, we humbly admit that our own understanding may be limited, and that further light and knowledge will increase our understanding.

We avoid the spirit of contention. If we think that another’s ideas are contrary to the gospel, we do not strive to prevail in a debate or to argue that person into silence or submission. We set forth our own understanding with patience and kindness. As disciples of Christ, we are merciful to each other and assume that members speak and act with the best of motives.

We keep sacred those things which belong in the temple. We do not publicly discuss temple covenants. We do not quote temple teachings unless they can be found in scriptural sources which can be cited.

We welcome and encourage humor. We avoid sarcasm, cruelty, and light-mindedness about sacred things. We refrain from using language that is generally regarded as coarse or blasphemous.

We welcome to our forum any and all who are willing to abide by this charter. We seek unity, not division, among us. We emphasize our commonalities over our differences.

Members of Nauvoo forum freely agree to the principles in this charter. Violation of these principles may result in warnings, suspension, or expulsion as determined by forum moderators.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2019, 08:29:58 am by Roper »
All grown-ups were once children...but only few of them remember it. ― Antoine de Saint-Exupéry, "The Little Prince."

The following users thanked this post: Iggy, Sparky, Palmon

Roper

• Administrator
  • Thousand Year Egg Club
  • Earning my spurs.
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: September 06, 2019, 08:35:51 am »
Andrew and moderators: Should we keep the drafts of the charter and our discussions on this thread and move the charter to its final place once we're finished? Or should we have a separate thread for charter revision and editing?  I'd like to set a time limit for final approval so that this process doesn't drag on and then die out. Is one week enough? Can we set September 14th as our approval/publish date? 
All grown-ups were once children...but only few of them remember it. ― Antoine de Saint-Exupéry, "The Little Prince."

AndrewR

• MembersOnly
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: September 06, 2019, 11:44:06 am »
Start a new thread in this section - we can delete it when finished.

I think we should aim to finish it by Tuesday of next week, and vote to end Friday of next week. Please, not another Brexit! (Just to add a little UK politics into the mix.)
Don't ask me, I only live here.
Nauvoodle since March 2005 #1412

The following users thanked this post: Roper

N3uroTypical

• MembersOnly
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: September 06, 2019, 01:40:29 pm »
I have the same comment I did back in 2016:

So, just to make sure we're all aware: the original charter was very exclusive.  You basically have to sign a statement of faith and confirm you're an active member.  Another way of putting it, you are not welcome here if you are:
- Investigating the church
- Struggling in testimony
- A friendly outsider who wishes to fellowship with Mormons

I mean, that's fine if we want to keep the same exclusionary restrictions here in NewNauvoo.  It does mean admins removing access when people leave the church, or not allowing others in.
What-about-ism is pointless. I like to think most people's responses to such arguments would be, "Yup. That person, who happened to wear the same political jersey I do/did, was totally wrong on that, too."
-Taalcon

Taalcon

• MembersOnly
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: September 06, 2019, 02:01:05 pm »
I think the intent was to make it so it's not like the other LDS forums that I long abandoned, where you can't assume all discussions are coming from general shared affirmations. Actually, that's something I like. Discussions here begin with the assumption that God is real, authentically called Joseph to a prophetic calling, the Book of Mormon came to us through a process of inspiration, and God is involved in and has an interest in leading the current leadership.

There's A LOT of room for genuine and faithful differences and discussion within that framework. I think widening that takes away a degree of unique relevance for many of the participants here.

I think having the most base level of shared affirmations is helpful to this community. If members share those things, it greatly colors the assumptions one can make about the reasons for the questions they ask.

I'm not interested in coming here to explain why I think it's not all a sham. I'm ... so tired of that, and there's plenty of places for that. I AM interested in having authentic and difficult discussions with those who share a general framework of faith.

So changing it to something like, "Has, or is authentically seeking to develop or re-develop a testimony of/faith in..." etc may be decent tempered language.

But for this particular unique board, I'm not super in favor of making it overly broad. And I support the relative closed-ness of it.

The following users thanked this post: Iggy, Roper, Sparky

Roper

• Administrator
  • Thousand Year Egg Club
  • Earning my spurs.
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: September 06, 2019, 05:02:50 pm »
NT, do you have a suggested revision to accompany your criticism?

Roper

• Administrator
  • Thousand Year Egg Club
  • Earning my spurs.
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: September 06, 2019, 05:07:52 pm »
Andrew, there's not a "New Topic" button to add a thread in this section of the forum. Is that something a moderator could do?

dyany

• Administrator
  • Thousand Year Egg Club
    • View Profile
    • My blog
« Reply #52 on: September 06, 2019, 06:21:27 pm »
Roper and Andrew: right now the "Please Read" section is set so most members can only REPLY, not start a new thread.  I don't have time to change the settings, but I will start a new thread on the topic so Roper can post stuff there and we can set edits.  I am fine with the Sep 14 deadline, but I will be out of town and mostly AFK from the 11th to the 16th. 

dyany

• Administrator
  • Thousand Year Egg Club
    • View Profile
    • My blog
« Reply #53 on: September 06, 2019, 06:33:40 pm »
Also, in response to PG (to show we're not ignoring her): I believe the desire for growth to be good for many reasons, primary being that we have lost the vast majority of members since we moved, and natural attrition means we will shrink until conversation becomes less and less vibrant until the forum completely dies unless we have some growth.  Even small towns gain members through births. 

It is very dangerous to slip into restorative nostalgia (see here https://curiosity.com/topics/there-are-2-different-types-of-nostalgia-curiosity/) or overly comfortable complacency.  Growth, by definition, requires change.  And change and comfort are entirely incompatible. 

The following users thanked this post: palmetto_gal

N3uroTypical

• MembersOnly
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: September 06, 2019, 07:30:37 pm »
NT, do you have a suggested revision to accompany your criticism?

It's not a criticism, just pointing out nauvoo.site as proposed, is "no non-LDS allowed".  If that's what the site owner(s) want, then there's no problem.

If that's an oversight, then you can dump the 3 paragraphs starting with "we believe", and replace it with something saying something like "We are a community of faithful members of the CoJCoLDS.  You don't have to be a member, or even have a strong testimony to participate here, but we do require respect of the church and it's beliefs.  This isn't an "argue with a Mormon" group."
What-about-ism is pointless. I like to think most people's responses to such arguments would be, "Yup. That person, who happened to wear the same political jersey I do/did, was totally wrong on that, too."
-Taalcon

palmetto_gal

• MembersOnly
  • Old forum #2268; registered 13 August 2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: September 06, 2019, 11:24:37 pm »
Thanks for your comment, Dyany.  I'm certainly not in favor of keeping New Nauvoo at the membership level we have today.  As you said, we would dwindle by attrition to a sad, little group.  I just wanted to point out that I hope we don't explode into a forum the size of Third Hour.  To me, that would be like living in a maze, where it's a challenge to keep up with what's going on.  There are threads here that I don't involve myself in, merely because they are of little interest to me.  However, I scan the unread topics each time I visit, to see what's going on with whom and and to learn from those of you who have a deeper level of knowledge pertaining to the Gospel.  For that I am grateful.

The following users thanked this post: Iggy

* Calendar

April 2021
Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
1 2 3
4 5 6 7 8 9 10
11 [12] 13 14 15 16 17
18 19 20 21 22 23 24
25 26 27 28 29 30

No calendar events were found.

* Recent Posts

Re: masks in church by Sparky