Welcome to New Nauvoo

Author Topic: More Word of Wisdom  (Read 116 times)

Taalcon

• View Profile
More Word of Wisdom
« on: August 15, 2019, 10:37:24 pm »
https://newsroom.churchofjesuschrist.org/article/statement-word-of-wisdom-august-2019

This doubling down on green tea is somewhat frustrating for my wife, who has several layered gut issues that lead to a nearly constant level of pain. My wife has layers upon layers of medical issues, and it's always a breakthrough when we're able to discover a particular 'layer' that causes part of the discomfort.

Well, she recently discovered Kombucha, and found that it, of all things, actually makes a difference in lessening her pain and discomfort. We were aware it contained green tea, but as she takes it medicinally (not a fan of the taste! She especially doesn't link ginger, which is an ingredient in most offerings), we weren't particularly concerned. Actually, most thing we were concerned about is members seeing a package in a shopping cart and getting judgy, and making A Deal About It. (This is not out of the question in our ward).

Well, with the New Era article this past week, and this news release today, my wife is really distressed. She finally finds something that helps her condition, and the Church is shouting from the rooftops - with no qualifications - that it's specifically forbidden. Marijuana and Opioids are given the qualification. Green Tea is not.

So my wife feels she has to choose between her pain level, and being communally/ecclesiastically acceptable.

It's incredibly frustrating.

cook

• View Profile
Re: More Word of Wisdom
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2019, 11:15:48 pm »
In kombucha tea is just the liquid the main thing is on. In
 In Finnish the fermenter is volgansieni, one word in English for it is scoby. One can make it by onself  - grow the fungus- in any liquid. My dad has done it years ago, since he has always been into herbal medicine etc. It's easy, just yucky looking. I think he did it in just water, but herbal tea would work just fine. Googling scoby seems to gove plenty instructions on how to do it.

The following users thanked this post: Taalcon

Taalcon

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2019, 11:24:50 pm »
We have looked into it, because of that, and it looked to us like there were several warnings of some serious bacterial risks in the process when doing home prep. We were content to go with store bought for that reason, as we didn't want to add an additional risk factor. And that was before even the doubling down.

Iggy

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2019, 11:41:29 pm »
What your wife drinks is between her, the Bishop, Stake President and the Lord and no one else. I can't drink soda pops, lemonade, anything with high fat content. After about 60 oz of water it is just too too much,  yes, I drink 60 oz of plain water a day. Take all my meds with water only. I also drink iced tea or ice coffee.

Yes my husband knows this, my Stake President and when the time comes so will my new Bishop. In the past my Branch President and the Stake President didn't take my recommend from me.

I tried to drink Pero - but when I quit drinking it, the screaming foaming diarrhea went away. Not going back to drinking THAT!

The following users thanked this post: LMAshton, Taalcon

cook

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2019, 11:43:50 pm »
They've done the volgansieni for ages here, it came through Russia, and never heard of problems people making it. But of course it's always possible.

The following users thanked this post: Taalcon

JLM

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2019, 07:29:26 am »
The green tea thin further confirms that the current WoW policy is more boundary maintenance than health code.  Moderate amounts of coffee, green tea and alcohol all extend lifespan.  Of the three, green tea is the most beneficial with the fewest negatives effects. 

The following users thanked this post: Roper

LMAshton

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2019, 08:15:30 am »
Taalcon, personal revelation is a thing for a reason. If your wife receives revelation that the kombucha is fine for her, then no one else is in a position to judge.

I get that some may anyway, and that's unfortunate. I'm really sorry that happens. But her personal revelation matters.
Nauvoo Member #701 aka quidscribis, joined April 2003

The following users thanked this post: Iggy, Roper

Taalcon

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2019, 08:42:37 am »
Taalcon, personal revelation is a thing for a reason. If your wife receives revelation that the kombucha is fine for her, then no one else is in a position to judge.

I get that some may anyway, and that's unfortunate. I'm really sorry that happens. But her personal revelation matters.

Here's the thing - there's so many other non-related issues going on in the ward and ward-adjacent that the idea of giving anyone potential fuel for the fire just shuts it all down. Her brother is going through a NASTY divorce, and the the spouse attends a ward in the same building. This individual spreads enough false things about her and our family, that something like this is seen as just giving more potential ammunition. Recently, the Bishopric ignored the counsel of the direct Primary President, and brought someone into nursery to be a co-leader with my wife, but who immediately began to (SEVERELY) bully her, and decide she was completely in charge, and to denigrate and displace her. When the Bishopric found out, they apologized to both the primary president and my wife, and had the person transferred out.

Our kids (5 and 9) know she drank Kombucha for health, and the 5 year old especially likes saying the word because it's funny. And she's concerned he'll say it, and etc etc. And we are honest with our children, and she doesn't want to feel that she needs to hide what she does, but knows it could affect them, and her, and all of us.

She's already seen people in the local Ward facebook groups posting the New Era letter, and gleefully exclaiming how glad they were that the Church Leader clarified This Very Important Thing, and making sure all the youth will know that Green Tea is NOT okay, etc, etc.

So it's kind of personal to me right now. She has prayed and pondered about it, has felt good about pursuing her course in God's eyes, but now this just makes things worse. It's easy to say, "If it's okay with God, who cares what anyone else thinks?" - but circumstances don't always make things as easy as that. It's frustrating.

And thanks for allowing this place to vent. It seems I've needed to do a lot of that lately.

The following users thanked this post: dyany, Roper

Palmon

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2019, 11:12:02 am »
I'm grateful they clarified the WoW.

I'm also grateful for the teachings of using wisdom in our judgments. If I had to judge everyone for their WoW obedience, their political parties, sabbath observance - all the possible joy would be sucked out of my life. I will gladly leave judgment to the Lord.

If people are judging your wife, then they have a few things to repent of. So what? We all do. There have always been people with medical conditions that coffee, tea, and wine are suggested for. With me, doctors keep telling me wine will help my tremors. I choose not to. If someone else chooses to drink a glass a wine so that they can lift a spoon to their mouth without spilling - who am I to judge?

The following users thanked this post: LMAshton, Iggy, Roper

LMAshton

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2019, 03:13:57 am »
Taalcon, I get it. It's a difficult situation y'all are in, and I'm sorry it's like that. It shouldn't be, but where you have humans, you have imperfection.

Palmon, yep. I have, in the past, drunk kefir which contains a small amount of alcohol that appears during the fermentation process. I drank it for health, and for that period of time, it seemed to help. Personal revelation meant that, for me, it's okay. If someone else gets a no, I get that and have no problem with it. But that's the entire point of personal revelation anyway.
Nauvoo Member #701 aka quidscribis, joined April 2003

The following users thanked this post: Iggy, Roper, Palmon

pnr

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2019, 11:53:35 am »
So my wife feels she has to choose between her pain level, and being communally/ecclesiastically acceptable.

But she doesn't.   You'll notice that there was not global exclusion about marijuana, but reference to medical use under supervision.   Same with your dw's exception as a medical issue.   

Apostles have said that they firmly teach the rule, and members need to seek divine confirmation if they are exemptions to how that is.   Your wife need not stress because she can just talk this through with her dr and then seek confirmation that she need not discontinue medicine that works for her.   I have no doubt that she can get it, in the circumstances you describe.
Nauvoo 1270, Feb 2005

The following users thanked this post: Iggy, Roper

Roper

• Thousand Year Egg Club
  • Earning my spurs.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 17, 2019, 01:12:56 pm »
Dallin H. Oaks, "The Dedication of a Lifetime."

As a General Authority, it is my responsibility to preach general principles. When I do, I donít try to define all the exceptions. There are exceptions to some rules. ... But donít ask me to give an opinion on your exception. I only teach the general rules. Whether an exception applies to you is your responsibility. You must work that out individually between you and the Lord. The Prophet Joseph Smith taught this same thing in another way. When he was asked how he governed such a diverse group of Saints, he said, ďI teach them correct principles, and they govern themselves.Ē

Official church statement on the Word of Wisdom:

...substances such as marijuana and opioids should be used only for medicinal purposes as prescribed by a competent physician.

The following users thanked this post: LMAshton, palmetto_gal, Iggy, Sparky

* Top Posters

Curelom
1575 Posts
Roper Roper
1441 Posts
dyany dyany
910 Posts
LMAshton LMAshton
787 Posts
N3uroTypical N3uroTypical
582 Posts