Welcome to New Nauvoo

Author Topic: Judas  (Read 111 times)

cook

• View Profile
Judas
« on: July 10, 2019, 04:09:07 am »
If I've understood correctly, the book of  Judas, not in the bible but found later on, of which they do argue if the content is correct or not, says that Jesus asked Judas to betray him.

If that is true, I don't find it offensive or impossible to believe. Jesus knew he was to die. He knew the jews wanted to kill him and were looking for him. He had to give his life willingly. So maybe he did ask Judas to do it, because he was ready to give his life. Why postpone what he was there to do. I really don't see or feel any problem there. The only "bad" thing about it I can think of it is centuries people thinking and talking about Judas as a bad person if he only did what was asked.

How do you feel about the matter?

The following users thanked this post: Roper

LMAshton

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Judas
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2019, 10:01:03 am »
I'm pretty much there with you, Cook.

If Jesus asked Judas to betray him, then cool. Judas did what was asked and that makes him a faithful disciple. And it doesn't change the atonement for me.

If Jesus didn't ask Judas to betray him, then Judas was a betrayer.
Nauvoo Member #701 aka quidscribis, joined April 2003

dyany

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • My blog
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2019, 10:11:34 am »
Luckily, what other people think or believe about us, ESPECIALLY after we are dead, has zero bearing on the truth, how good or bad we are, or our eternal salvation.  If he was doing what he was asked, then that must have been horrible for him.  If he wasn't, that's horrible in a different way.  I have no way of knowing the truth, but it doesn't really affect me anyway.  That's between Judas and the Lord.

The following users thanked this post: LMAshton, Roper

Taalcon

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2019, 10:21:40 am »
It's a Second Century Gnostic text, firmly planted in its time, so having any historical direct line to Judas is ... extremely unlikely.

That said, the hypothetical question is interesting, but no matter what, it all comes down to: "That's between Judas and the Lord."

I'm pretty generous when it comes to my beliefs about the possibility of ultimate redemption for even those who made the worst of choices is this life, although the time and process and personal hell they would pass through of their own creation is more than I can imagine. For them, I think the hardest part would be the process of accepting forgiveness from those they had wronged.

It's clear the Apostles and other members of the Christian community writing the stories of Jesus hated Judas bitterly for what he'd done afterwards. No matter Judas' motivation, their pain and anger is absolutely justifiable and understandable - they already faced opposition from outside their community, and now they likely lived in constant fear of betrayal from within even their closest circles.

It's a tragic and dramatic story, and one we know so little of. It's no surprise even early on people would be attempting their own explanations and versions of what must have happened.

* Top Posters

Curelom
1575 Posts
Roper Roper
1441 Posts
dyany dyany
910 Posts
LMAshton LMAshton
787 Posts
N3uroTypical N3uroTypical
582 Posts