Welcome to New Nauvoo

Author Topic: I'm writing a book!  (Read 149 times)

Roper

• Thousand Year Egg Club
  • Earning my spurs.
    • View Profile
I'm writing a book!
« on: June 18, 2019, 09:11:33 am »
Well...sort of. I'm writing math curriculum which will be published next year. I've been searching for an elementary math curriculum which is aligned to core standards, which is connected to real-world applications (not just worksheets), which is based on research about how children learn and develop, which includes mastery of basic facts as well as discovery-based activities, and which is flexible enough to adapt to different learning philosophies--Waldorf, PBL, traditional, etc. Such a math curriculum does not exist. So, I will be creating it this year. The adventure begins!

The following users thanked this post: LMAshton, Jen, N3uroTypical, dyany, palmetto_gal, Sparky, Palmon

palmetto_gal

• Old forum #2268; registered 13 August 2006
    • View Profile
Re: I'm writing a book!
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2019, 11:11:15 am »
Roper, this is wonderful news.  My one and only grandchild, Samuel, is going into Kindergarten this year.  By the time your curriculum is published, will he be in your target demographic?  At this time, he is enrolled in a private (Catholic) school and Oma (me) is paying half the tuition.  I want to make sure he gets the best instruction and I want to protect my financial investment in his education.  South Carolina public schools don't fare very well in the state-by-state ranking. 

Sparky

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2019, 02:20:00 pm »
That's great. I teach math and what I do right now is the best parts of about 8 different curriculums. Thankfully I have been teaching forever and have taken the time over many summers and wintery nights to search and study and analyze to find these parts. But I'm never satisfied and continue to improve it all the time. I hope you will truly be able to pull this off! Need some help? 😁

AndrewR

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2019, 05:20:00 am »
It seems very odd to me that you have core standards, but no core curricula to match them.

But it may be that curriculum is not the correct word, in my antiquated English. A curriculum is what is required to meet a standard. How you teach that curriculum, the course of study is the basics of what I believe you have missing.

So long division might be needed - so the curriculum includes the teaching of long division. With the standard, let's say, that number up to 1,000,000 can be divided by any number up to 999, with remainders or a certain number of decimal places.  But which method you use to teach the children how to accomplish long division is up to the school district, school or individual teacher. Correct?

So, am I missing something?
Don't ask me, I only live here.
Nauvoodle since March 2005 #1412

Roper

• Thousand Year Egg Club
  • Earning my spurs.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2019, 10:26:06 am »
No, you're right, Andrew. Here's the problem in the U.S.: The states develop the standards. Publishing companies create the curriculum to sell to school districts. Still other companies create the standards based required tests. Many times, there is a problem with alignment. Curriculum publishers use "Our curriculum is aligned to core standards" as a marketing device to sell textbooks. However, their "curriculum" is often a collection of worksheets divided into chapters devoted to each standard. Yes, teachers can pull in many other activities and create lessons using a variety of materials. The best teachers do that. It takes a lot of time to develop lessons that way--time teachers don't have unless they stay after school, for which they're not getting paid. The reality is that most teachers rely on the textbooks. So, most districts purchase crappy curriculum (especially for math) because it's "aligned with standards." Sadly, math means worksheets for most students. No wonder most of them hate math and end up choosing careers which don't need any math beyond the basics. /rant

The following users thanked this post: AndrewR, Sparky

Patty Rain

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2019, 01:53:29 pm »
Cool!
Time for a change.  I am yungmom, but have wanted a new username for some time.

* Top Posters

Curelom
1611 Posts
Roper Roper
1484 Posts
dyany dyany
943 Posts
LMAshton LMAshton
818 Posts
N3uroTypical N3uroTypical
618 Posts

* Recent Posts