Welcome to New Nauvoo

Author Topic: Just some thoughts  (Read 171 times)

Sarahgirl

• Greenie
    • View Profile
Just some thoughts
« on: June 14, 2019, 04:50:57 pm »
I recently read the article here: http://www.ldsliving.com/Surviving-a-Faith-Crisis-with-the-Help-of-Church-Members/s/80563

One of the things that struck me from the article was that those who are having a faith "crisis" often feel like they aren't sure they can trust the church or its leaders, whether local or high up. This is why it isn't helpful to refer them to the scriptures or to just encourage faith. Those sources can feel unreliable while they are working through things. I have been pondering the article's suggestion that we just love them and give them space to figure things out. Then I stumbled across the following in the Ensign:

Luann (name has been changed) faced a spiritual and moral struggle and reflected on her experience with others who comforted her: “They looked past my present person and saw my promising potential, the potential to become someone greater, wiser, kinder. I look back on my former self and sometimes cringe with a bit of embarrassment for my ignorance—a bit of shame for my transgressions and sinful ways. But the sting of embarrassment and shame is always followed by the healing balm that is grace, mercy, forgiveness, and love. When I see there were people around me, showering me with those things, the sting goes away. And I see they were helping me heal. Maybe it’s more accurate to say they were creating a safe environment around me—a cocoon of grace, maybe—where, within, the Savior, the Master Healer, could work on me. Changing me. Changing my heart.”

https://www.churchofjesuschrist.org/study/ensign/2019/06/helping-others-receive-the-lords-healing?lang=eng

I love how she shared that those around her created a "cocoon of grace" so that she had the space and time to heal. I love that imagery and the concept that we can't fix anyone. We do best to make sure they have a place to go while the Savior does the work on them.

I have felt that I couldn't trust the church or its leaders in the last year because of how individuals I love have been treated. I have faith that the church in general is going where it needs to. But it sometimes feels like we leave casualties along the way. When I shared my sadness and concerns, the responses by other members weren't as helpful. More compassion and space for each other is definitely necessary. I have decided I want to try to help usher that in by sharing stories and experiences to help others around me begin to consider it. I know it will take time but at least I can feel I am part of the solution. It occurred to me that I also need to give a "cocoon of grace" to those who don't see this yet.  We truthfully all need one.

This last week as I was reading about Peter denying the Savior I noticed some things that seemed related. The Savior told Peter he would deny Him three times, yet He still brought Peter to the garden with Him. He didn't reject Peter because of it. The Savior recognized that this was all part of Peter's learning and conversion process. In the long run, Peter was still the prophet of the Church and the Savior gave him space to figure it out. I hope that I can follow the Savior's example and be patient and loving with all those around me.
Member #350 joined June 2001

The following users thanked this post: LMAshton, pnr, Scruffydog, dyany, palmetto_gal, Roper, Sparky, JLM, Patty Rain, Taalcon, Jacaré

Patty Rain

• View Profile
Re: Just some thoughts
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2019, 02:00:10 pm »
That reminds me of Elder Scott:

How can each of us become such a significant influence? We must be sure to sincerely love those we want to help in righteousness so they can begin to develop confidence in God’s love. For so many in the world, the first challenge in accepting the gospel is to develop faith in a Father in Heaven, who loves them perfectly. It is easier to develop that faith when they have friends or family members who love them in a similar way.

Giving them confidence in your love can help them develop faith in God’s love. Then through your loving, thoughtful communication, their lives will be blessed by your sharing lessons you have learned, experiences you have had, and principles you have followed to find solutions to your own struggles. Show your sincere interest in their well-being; then share your testimony of the gospel of Jesus Christ.
https://www.churchofjesuschrist.org/study/general-conference/2014/04/i-have-given-you-an-example?lang=eng

Show love THEN testimony.  Too many people hear the testimony right away because we haven't taken the time to help them trust through our love first.
Time for a change.  I am yungmom, but have wanted a new username for some time.

The following users thanked this post: Scruffydog, palmetto_gal

* Top Posters

Curelom
1575 Posts
Roper Roper
1441 Posts
dyany dyany
910 Posts
LMAshton LMAshton
787 Posts
N3uroTypical N3uroTypical
582 Posts