Welcome to New Nauvoo

Author Topic: DNA testing  (Read 435 times)

Palmon

• MembersOnly
    • View Profile
DNA testing
« on: June 02, 2019, 11:43:15 pm »
According to the headline of this article, 1 in 10 are mistaken about the identity of their father. Surprise siblings show up, 'family secrets' as the article says, are revealed.
A friend whose sister had given up a child in the '70s had the child contact her. My husband had a sibling appear, which isn't a surprise knowing his biological father's lifestyle.

https://www.smh.com.au/world/europe/one-in-10-is-mistaken-about-identity-of-father-20190601-p51tgf.html  About 20 years ago, my husband worked in child support. His job was to find out who the father was and contact that man to inform him of child support owed. My husband came home with many stories about women who had no idea who the father was. One woman named a guy because she liked him and wanted him to be the father, no matter that they had never met. He was pretty surprised by the letter telling him about the child and demanding a DNA test.

beefche

• MembersOnly
  • Wise bovine
    • View Profile
Re: DNA testing
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2019, 12:31:56 am »
This happened in my family. I submitted my dad's DNA to find out if a theory of mine was correct (I think my dad has Turkish heritage rather than strictly Bulgarian). The DNA told me nothing (other than he is from the area of Bulgaria and Turkey). But about 1.5 years after submitting it, we were contacted by his son. Before my dad married my mom, he dated many women. One of those women gave birth but never told him. Now, 60 years later, we find out about his biological son. Pretty shocking for everyone.

The following users thanked this post: Jen, Palmon

Scruffydog

• MembersOnly
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2019, 11:15:33 am »
A friend of mine had a job where he had to ask claimant mothers about the father of their children. One lady said that it was a guy who worked in that office, it had happened when she had been at an office party, and all she could remember was that he had brown shoes. I hope she took parenting more seriously than she did in becoming a parent

The following users thanked this post: Palmon

cook

• MembersOnly
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2020, 02:13:05 am »
There has recently been an article where someone here found half 9 siblings. All of them had been "created" by insemination. There can be more too. Can't find out who the donor was.

They have been happy about it, even though to some it has meant finding out that dad is not a biological dad.

To me it confirmed ho my grandfather is. My mother's half siblings threathened  to send to police after me if I ever contact them in the matter, since he is not anyway related to my mother... It was nice to have the confirmation since his name is not in any records.

curlybat

• MembersOnly
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2020, 12:31:06 am »
I have done DNA testing two of our adopted daughters to help them determine their roots. I was contacted by someone who had a DNA match to one of them who happened to also be a fellow foster parent. The thing was, she couldn't for the life of her figure out how they could be related - the match was 1st-2nd cousin and she thought she knew her genealogy pretty good. Finally, after turning the world upside down to determine how it could be possible, her mother finally admitted her dad was not her biological dad. Her biological dad turned out to be one of our adopted daughter's grand-uncles (who had passed away some time ago).

We also found a distant connection between these adopted daughters. With one of them being 97% Native North American, and the other 8% I believe the connection is probably goes back to natives from west-central Mexico but that is just a guess.

As more and more people participate in DNA testing, the results should get more refined. I've seen that over time with my DNA results.
Still TheOne and only me who happens to now be curlybat.

Nauvoodle since September 2001 (#431)

Jason

• MembersOnly
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2020, 09:47:57 am »
When I first did some genealogy in the early 2000s I was informed that about 10% of the fathers I found would not actually be the biological fathers, and this was going back for hundreds of years. This helped me realize that humans have not been perfect people for a long, long time.

When I got my information through ancestry.com I didn't think about the implications of family secrets until I saw that my mother and my father were my suggested mother and father. That experience gave me a quick sense of panic and relief at the same time.

curlybat

• MembersOnly
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2020, 07:36:51 pm »
Several years ago in the early days of DNA testing for genealogical purposes, I participated in one with FamilyTreeDNA. One of my matches was someone with a surname I had never seen in my genealogy. I tried to contact this person but never received a response and the match soon disappeared. I believe someone may have found a surprise in their DNA results.
Still TheOne and only me who happens to now be curlybat.

Nauvoodle since September 2001 (#431)

Jason

• MembersOnly
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2020, 10:05:23 am »
Is more information good or bad in the long run? I think more information is good on the condition that people also evolve to not be judgmental, but rather just acknowledge that something is. Reality is now. As long as people are judgmental (I remember it no more), then perhaps we are not at a point where the information is ready to be shouted from the rooftops.

* Calendar

June 2020
Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
1 [2] 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30

No calendar events were found.

* Recent Posts

Re: Throw-together recipes by Roper
[Today at 09:49:12 pm]