Welcome to New Nauvoo

Author Topic: Prepping for the end of times  (Read 651 times)

Redd

• when life gives you lemons, make grape juice!
    • View Profile
Prepping for the end of times
« on: March 16, 2019, 03:03:45 pm »
I live in the United States, and I really believe in being prepared.  I was wondering about things that are done in the US verses other locations in the world.  For example,  do other countries dooms day prep at all?  It is a United States thing?? 

cook

• View Profile
Re: Prepping for the end of times
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2019, 03:49:12 pm »
As in regular foodstorage stuff or as in the weird doomsday people stuff?

For the first, yes. I remember a few yeard back when our city sent a leaflet to all households. It had emergency info and for example the exhortation that everyone should always have food for a month (I think it was a month but could have been three, because it just was all so familiar,) and water etc.  The name of the leaflet was... "The plan of salvation"  ;D   

So preparstion yes, because it's not that far when we had the wars and not that long ago when Tshernobyl affected even us, though not badly. But as a doomsday thing, no.

As far as those doomsday preparation people, I think it's only a US thing.

pnr

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2019, 07:54:48 pm »
In many places storing food would be considered hoarding and violate the law.   

And in many countries families have a hard time feeding themselves to survive, such that storing food for 3 months is just unthinkable.

But the Lord's plan of self-reliance is a good one for everyone in the world, including the 3 months. including toilet paper and soap and money.  With more if one can.
Nauvoo 1270, Feb 2005

Iggy

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2019, 01:51:49 am »
But the Lord's plan of self-reliance is a good one for everyone in the world, including the 3 months. including toilet paper and soap and money.  With more if one can.
Slowly, ever so slowly I am cleaning up the guest room, master bedroom closet and the Hubs *Den/Office* of the storage items I have bought yet never got put away.

I set up my small, foldable dolly, put a bankers box on it, then went from the den to the guest room gathering up the toilet paper. This I store in the master bedroom closet on the uppermost shelves. Well, I not only filled those shelves but the overflow is now in the master bedroom on top of the food storage cupboard/clothes cubbies that doubles as the headboard of our king bed. I won't need to purchase any more for about 3 years.

As for soap - I no longer use bar soap. I use Aveeno brand body wash mixed in equal parts with Dr. Teals body wash. Hubby uses bar soap, and we have about 3 dozen bars. When we are down to maybe three bars, I will be on the lookout for super sales. Oh, and I cleaned up, rearranged our hall closet - discovered I have enough of my shampoo for the next 20 years! I use 1 part Jhermack for blondes, 3 parts Tresemme and 4 parts water. In the past, I would mix up whole bottles, then fill up empty 2-liter soda bottles. Now, I just mix up one empty pump bottle (Aussie shampoo that my niece was going to toss).

My girlfriend taught me to dilute shampoo. I use a medicine cup to pump the shampoo into- about 1/4 of an ounce of the watery shampoo and it is more than enough to thoroughly clean my hair/scalp. You don't need all that lather to clean. Just ends up taking gallons more water to rinse. Oh, and if you wipe your hair of the shampoo with a damp washcloth you can use even less water to rinse with. I also dilute the conditioner, leave it until I am rinsing the soap from my body, wiping the conditioner off of my hair with a damp washcloth, then rinse the hair.

I make my own laundry detergent and have enough to last 2 years. I want to get out my Emergency Essential FD Sweet Corn, re-hydrate some and see if it is tasty. If so, then it will get re-packaged into vacuum sealed bags and put back into long term food storage. Also, want to dehydrate some thawed frozen corn - rehydrate it and see what changes in flavor and texture happen. IF none, then I will be buying frozen sweet corn on sale and dehydrating it, vacuum sealing it and putting it into our normal use pantry.

My *Gut* aka Discernment tells me that frozen foods will be the first to go because the freezers won't have electricity. We do have to purchase a GOOD generator. Our fridge and microwave need to be operational. As will our two electric roasters.

I sure wish I had gone and picked up the canning equipment that my BFF had willed to me after her passing. It hurt so bad to be at her home that I put it off and by the time I went, her darling husband forgot that I was to be the recipient. Sadly Alztimers has taken hold of him. Before I purchase any, I would like to borrow some, am thinking of canning meats. Roast beef, pork & chicken in their savory broth. Husbands favorite homemade soups. His tomato soup favorite I will still buy at the store. Progresso Tomato w/Basil.

Another dish that Hubby surprised me in liking is Tuna Casserole. Only he likes it made with potatoes and not macaroni. My mom made it with elbow macaroni, white sauce, peas, fresh celery & carrots & onions. So, I sometimes use boxed scallop potatoes, add some frozen pea, fresh: celery, carrots & onions. He is happy, and I don't have to buy potatoes, pare and slice them. Oh, sometimes Mom would buy 'El Cheapo potato chips and use them instead of elbow macaroni or fresh potatoes. Just have to add more liquid to rehydrate the chips.

N3uroTypical

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2019, 08:40:46 pm »
do other countries dooms day prep at all?  It is a United States thing??
I have run into an Australian who sounds exactly like serious preppers sound.   So that's one person!
What-about-ism is pointless. I like to think most people's responses to such arguments would be, "Yup. That person, who happened to wear the same political jersey I do/did, was totally wrong on that, too."
-Taalcon

* Top Posters

Curelom
1611 Posts
Roper Roper
1484 Posts
dyany dyany
943 Posts
LMAshton LMAshton
818 Posts
N3uroTypical N3uroTypical
618 Posts