Welcome to New Nauvoo

Author Topic: Sharing ideas  (Read 742 times)

Roper

• Thousand Year Egg Club
  • Earning my spurs.
    • View Profile
Sharing ideas
« on: January 09, 2019, 10:50:13 pm »
Is it kosher to share story ideas on a forum like this? For example: I have an idea about an element of society. It's definitely not a plot idea--just a detail which I never plan to use.  If I posted my idea here, would it be okay for someone else to use it in something she/he is writing?

The following users thanked this post: Jen, Palmon

Palmon

• View Profile
Re: Sharing ideas
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2019, 11:45:13 pm »
Idea sharing sounds like a great idea but why don't you write the story yourself?

LMAshton

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2019, 01:27:27 am »
Roper, absolutely! And if anyone wants to brainstorm with others to flesh out an idea, that's perfectly good as well.
Nauvoo Member #701 aka quidscribis, joined April 2003

The following users thanked this post: dyany

beefche

• Wise bovine
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2019, 06:55:30 pm »
I have some truly bizarre dreams. And I remember them (I remember some from when I was very young). I could share those to either freak you out by my weird subconscious or inspire stories. :D

LMAshton

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2019, 03:16:39 am »
I have some truly bizarre dreams. And I remember them (I remember some from when I was very young). I could share those to either freak you out by my weird subconscious or inspire stories. :D
LOL! Yeah, I could write about some of the terrible nightmares/dreams I've had, but they'd end up scarring people for life methinks.

Iggy

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2019, 12:16:06 pm »
LOL! Yeah, I could write about some of the terrible nightmares/dreams I've had, but they'd end up scarring people for life methinks.

Methinks that is where Stephen King gets his stories! After reading only two of his books, I won't read anymore. They are too graphic, and when they involve children that is just too too much.

The following users thanked this post: LMAshton

Iggy

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2019, 12:44:59 pm »
For the six years, 1st husband and I traveled the eight states of the west coast with six separate trips to Rochester, NY for him to get more schooling and work directly with the Stromberg-Carlson engineers & designers, I wrote daily to my best friend and maile those writings every Sunday to her.

Every time I introduced a new person into my dialogue, I used their real name and then from then on used the name I had nicknamed them. For example Jonathan Freeman = Cheap Jeep. He was cheap in that he NEVER paid for any of his own drinks/food or for anyone else's either and he drove a Jeep.

She wrote back, sending the letters to my mother's address, then mom would forward it on to me where ever we happened to be.

She also saved every single letter, along with copies of her replies to me. Boxes and boxes of them. During her turbulent first marriage, they brought her comfort and entertainment. They also showed her how my hubby was changing and treating me. The manipulation and subtle cruelty.

When hubby was sent to Kodiak AK on a job that would keep him there for months, I stayed in Seattle with my sisters and now BFF and I could see each other *Face to Face* aka *Nose to Nose*. She showed me the boxes of our letters and made the comment that she could turn them into a continuing saga of books of my travels. I told her to do it, but I get half the royalties!

Well, it never happened. Shortly after that, she went through a NASTY divorce, a bout of either anorexia or bulimia. In any event, she lost nearly 100 pounds that she really couldn't lose, and it was all she could do to care for her two grade school aged kids, her self and find employment that would support the three of them as ex refused to work because he refused to pay child support.

The boxes of letters got put into storage at her Dad's home, and neither of us thought about them again until her youngest son was 22, so it would have been 18 years later, and going through Grandpa's basement cleaning out all the unnecessary things to give away, toss out, keep. Widowed Grandpa was getting married and was downsizing to move into a two bedroom home rather than attempt to keep up the 10 bedroom family home.

So BFF came into possession of her boxes of letters once again. Unfortunately, most of them were damp & moldy. In all of the years she had been diagnosed with MS, and being in near proximity of that much mold wasn't conducive to her health. Son offered to take the boxes, dry and attempt to clean them up without destroying them. But then he got sent overseas with his company and couldn't do it.

BFF new husband took a closer look, had an art restoration friend of his look at the papers and they both declared that the letters were beyond any help.

Oh, if life had only had a different turn and those letters turned into books - sigh That is just one of many Could Have Been of my life.

I recently read through the journals I wrote during the time 1st hubby and I owned a tavern - not only did I write about the regular customers and their same old, same old stories year after year, but about the drama, trauma I was experiencing at home. Yep, I kept them, dragging them from house to house and even to AZ and back. Read through all 16 books - Mead 5 subject notebooks - In the last one, I detailed what to pack up to take with me in my move into my own place. How to do it, how to find a place, etc.

I then took them over to a friends house and burned them in her burning barrel. Those would have been fodder for a true horror story and one women's battle to regain her Christianity & self.

Palmon

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2019, 11:09:34 pm »
Iggy, did you know that George Washington's wife burned all their letters after he died? Just a random fact that your story reminded me of.

Iggy

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2019, 11:19:47 pm »
some of the things I wrote about in those journals were not for anyone's eyes other than my own. By the time I finally burned them, my ex had been dead for a number of years and his son & two granddaughters really didn't need to know what a mean vile man he was.

I was remarried to a wonderful LDS man, those journals needed to be burned.

As for the letters- we both grieve for their loss. Sigh such is life.

Roper

• Thousand Year Egg Club
  • Earning my spurs.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2019, 11:20:58 pm »
About a month ago, I was listening to Terry Gross interview a micro ecologist on Fresh Air. Her guest explained that many people think that our skin is our first line of defense against infection. Not so. All of the good bacteria which live on our skin make up the first defense. They either destroy or out-compete most of the harmful bacteria.

That got me thinking about what it might be like in a society where fashion was not based on clothes, but on the layer of bacteria on our skin. More wealthy citizens could go to upscale spas and purchase spray-on bacterial treatments which would boost their defense against infections. The government would strictly regulate the sprays as drugs. It would be the most profitable wing of the pharmaceutical industry. Poor people would have to grow their own. Of course, the military would have different bacterial sprays for special ops forces. There would be a criminal element who made illicit sprays for sale on the black market.

It's all setting. I'll likely never use it, because I have no ideas for plots or characters to go with it, and I'll never write that kind of a story. If someone can use it, go for it.

The following users thanked this post: LMAshton, palmetto_gal, Sparky

palmetto_gal

• Old forum #2268; registered 13 August 2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2019, 05:57:53 pm »
Roper, as a non-writer, but a voracious reader, I love this story line.  I would gladly pay to read a book about this subject. 

The following users thanked this post: LMAshton, Roper

LMAshton

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2019, 02:01:28 am »
Roper, that's an intriguing line of thought. Along with the bacterial sprays could be colours of the bacteria that form patterns, and of course, some colourful patterns would be more fashionable and therefore more expensive than others. It would be advertising the particular bacterial spray you'd had put on and would be a status symbol. Only the rich could afford that particular line of sprays, of course.

What an interesting thought.

The following users thanked this post: Roper

* Top Posters

Curelom
1568 Posts
Roper Roper
1395 Posts
dyany dyany
893 Posts
LMAshton LMAshton
778 Posts