Welcome to New Nauvoo

Author Topic: NEW! Missionaries Able To Call/Video Home Weekly and More!  (Read 491 times)

Taalcon

• View Profile
« Last Edit: February 15, 2019, 12:56:53 pm by Taalcon »

The following users thanked this post: Jen, Scruffydog, Iggy, Roper

Jason

• View Profile
Re: NEW! Missionaries Able To Call/Video Home Weekly and More!
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2019, 01:10:07 am »
Less isolation should be a good thing.

The following users thanked this post: Roper

Redd

• when life gives you lemons, make grape juice!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2019, 02:52:07 pm »
I really need clarification on this one.  How is having weekly chit chats with the folks at home a good thing for our missionaries?  Would that not make homesickness more pronounced?  I am thinking about David O Mc Kay whose father told him to get back to work.  If he had the ability to get hold of dear old dad on a more regular basis would he had been so successful?
  Please understand the following:
1) I did not serve a full time mission
2) My brother, father, uncles, grandfather etc did not serve missions (actually, I have to go to the late 1800's to find anyone on any direct line who served missions.)
3) none of my children have served missions.

So what is everyone's take on this

The following users thanked this post: Roper

pnr

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2019, 04:24:49 pm »
I think is is absolutely the right move.   We live in a connected world, where missionaries teach the gospel via facebook and carry cellphones.   It just seems stupid not to let kids call home when they think they need to.   (You'll notice that the change doesn't say missionaries should accept calls from home:  my hope is that parents NOT think this is an invitation to solicit or get calls for them.   Just a safety net for missionaries who are dealing with hard things at home or on their mission, and ones that are fully grounded in their missions but need home contact too.)
« Last Edit: February 27, 2019, 03:16:36 pm by pnr »
Nauvoo 1270, Feb 2005

The following users thanked this post: Scruffydog, Iggy, Roper, Taalcon

Taalcon

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2019, 05:41:10 pm »
Missionaries already spend an hour or so writing letters each week. Why not replace it with real-time conversation where information, concerns, excitement and advice can be relayed instantly? A Missionary in emotional distress can get comfort from those who may know them best, and from those whom they may trust the most without a weeklong delay. I personally know missionaries who would have greatly benefited from that.

This is a great example of "Just because something HAD to be a certain way once doesn't mean things MUST be that way now." - It can absolutely increase morale, and why wouldn't you want that? I absolutely think this will DECREASE 'homesickness' rather than increase it.

The following users thanked this post: Jen, Iggy, Roper

Roper

• Thousand Year Egg Club
  • Earning my spurs.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2019, 09:04:50 pm »
In my wife's work with LDS Family Services, she sometimes counsels missionaries who are struggling. Often, the struggles include feeling isolated from home, family, and friends. Often, a request is asked and special permission given for the missionary to FaceTime home outside of Christmas and Mother's Day. It really encourages the missionary to see the faces and hear the voices of loved ones. From that perspective, I see this as a hugely positive change.

The following users thanked this post: palmetto_gal

nitasmile

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2019, 07:44:52 am »
I I've been reading a wonderful new book by Jane Clawson Johnson dad talks about depression, it is called Silent Souls Weeping. It sure has some beautiful stories about people struggle with depression in the LDS culture. One of the chapters is devoted to missionary work. And she shares examples of how some missionaries benefited from slight adjustments to the rules such as being able to talk to their family more often. She shares how one person hundred how her Mission might have been had the mission president been more sensitive to the depression and she was enduring.
I definitely recommend that book for you read or anyone who might be wanting a better understand!  I think this type of role adjustment will definitely help missionaries as well as family members, whether or not people go through depression. Think of that sad story of the missionary in the Dominican Republic who touched out why are and accidentally fell to his death in the last couple of weeks. What a wonderful blessing for his family that they were able to talk with him that day before he passed away so unexpectedly from this life!

AndrewR

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2019, 04:46:55 am »
The wording expresses that weekly may be too much. The option is there, but is left to the missionary and their family to decide the actual frequency and length.

The church didn't really have a choice. As missionaries now carry internet enabled devices the temptation to engage in this type of communication becomes greater. So allowing it, as part of the family being more involved in the mission, is a way of helping.

My son had a iPad (one of the first mission in the UK to do so). He face timed his sister when he should not have. We believe that this increased his home-sickness and when he was moved to a more difficult area, to replace a DL who went home, he chose to come home too.

Whether this would have helped, or made it worse, I can not tell.
Don't ask me, I only live here.
Nauvoodle since March 2005 #1412

* Top Posters

Curelom
1643 Posts
Roper Roper
1524 Posts
dyany dyany
956 Posts
LMAshton LMAshton
825 Posts
N3uroTypical N3uroTypical