Welcome to New Nauvoo

Author Topic: Temple & Family History Consultants  (Read 145 times)

Iggy

• View Profile
Temple & Family History Consultants
« on: November 08, 2018, 10:18:51 pm »
Any Nauvoodles have this calling? How are you doing in this calling? I was called almost a year ago and yet have not done anything. There are six of us including myself that have been called in my branch. I feel like we are not being utilized to our fullest abilities.

Any suggestions as to what we could/should be doing?

Oh, another thing, three months ago a young man from our branch was called as a T&FH Consultant. He stopped me last Sunday after Sacrament and asked when we were going to all get together and set a plan? Good question my young Brother.

When I was Librarian, I found a Closed Group FB page for LDS Librarians. What a wealth of information I gleaned from all of those LDS Librarians WORLD wide. Been entering every variation of T&FHC into the search of FB. No success, yet.

Jen

• View Profile
Re: Temple & Family History Consultants
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2018, 10:25:30 pm »
In my experience, your success will depend on how supportive/motivated your bishop is when it comes to FH.

My understanding was that we were supposed to help members one-on-one to either start their family trees, learn to index, or find names that need to go to the temple. I can't remember if that's just an area-wide thing or if it came from Salt Lake, but they wanted me meeting with people at the church or in their homes or mine to give a little lesson, figure out where they are, help them make goals, and get them started.

The following users thanked this post: Iggy

Iggy

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2018, 10:55:32 pm »
About two months ago, we all met with our Stake T&FHC PH - after watching a few videos and answering some questions about said videos, he stressed to us that the Stake wanted us to gather each auxiliary and introduce them to the new theme and goal of T&FH. That sounded great - we started to hash out where and when, then time ran out.
Thanks Jen, our Branch President really isn't very proactive with/for much of anything.

Nothing has been done since. We had decided that meeting in the evening on Wednesday for the youth would be a lucrative thing. We don't have many youth - so that would work according to our Young Man T&FHC. All the YM do on Wednesday is gather in one corner of the RS room (used to be the original chapel/multi-purpose room, thus it is quite roomy) and play on their electronic devices. Same for the Primary Activity Day Girls and the Boy Scouts. Their leaders were on the opposite side of the room, visiting with each other.

I really thought that we would meet again and brain storm what and how we would present the Family Search methods. Introducing them first, then being prepared to set up 30 minute visits with those who asked.

Then for the RS/PH - meet with them separately, - - - same as with the youth. 

cook

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2018, 12:37:35 am »
When I had the calling for me it was mainly helping those who came to me to help. I had small kids at home, so couldn't do that much actively going out to people. I did teach at least one activity to the young women, but I'm not sure if it was when I was called or another time. After being released I continued helping those I had worked with though.

AndrewR

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2018, 05:45:54 am »
As of General Conference weekend the Ward Temple and Family History Leader is either a counsellor in the EQPy or a MPh holder supervised by said counsellor. Although the keys are still with the bishop, the day to day running of the programme is under the EQPy, with assistance from the RSPy.

So, I would seek out the EQ Counsellor and ask him what the plans are.
Don't ask me, I only live here.
Nauvoodle since March 2005 #1412

Iggy

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2018, 01:20:04 pm »
As of General Conference weekend the Ward Temple and Family History Leader is either a counsellor in the EQPy or a MPh holder supervised by said counsellor. Although the keys are still with the bishop, the day to day running of the programme is under the EQPy, with assistance from the RSPy.

So, I would seek out the EQ Counsellor and ask him what the plans are.
AndrewR ~ was this in a talk given at GC, or in the letters sent to the Stake/Wards/Branches just prior to GC? If it was the letters, then I got them and printed them out for Husband, who is the Branch Sunday School President, BUT have yet to really read & ponder them. Husband is so tired of receiving all the junk email from our branch that he has removed his email addy from the online directory. So with my calling as T&FHC and since I have left my email addy in the directory, I get the letters/notices/and {sigh} junk emails.

thanks

Traela

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2018, 06:12:02 pm »
Do you have any 10 or 11-year-olds in your branch?  When my dad was a T&FH counsultant he discovered he was supposed to be teaching the 11-year-olds how to find names and prepare them for the temple, in preparation for when they turned 12.  He usually went to the family's home to give the lesson, which also got the parents involved.

Iggy

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2018, 09:32:00 pm »
Do you have any 10 or 11-year-olds in your branch?  When my dad was a T&FH counsultant he discovered he was supposed to be teaching the 11-year-olds how to find names and prepare them for the temple, in preparation for when they turned 12.  He usually went to the family's home to give the lesson, which also got the parents involved.
We had one group discussion regarding this months and months ago. Our Branch Lead has had health issues, so the rest of us just don't know whether we should wait to follow her lead or plug along on our own.

AndrewR

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2018, 06:53:33 am »
Iggy, I previously posted the letter in this post: - http://nauvoo.site/forum/index.php?topic=654.msg10521#msg10521
Don't ask me, I only live here.
Nauvoodle since March 2005 #1412

Iggy

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2018, 10:54:43 am »
Iggy, I previously posted the letter in this post: - http://nauvoo.site/forum/index.php?topic=654.msg10521#msg10521
@AndrewR thank you so much for linking to that - Not only did I read it here first, btw, but I also got it in an email - - - but what seems to be a recurring occurrence for me lately is I lost the email, and lost the printed out copies. Yep, printed out two copies - one for me and one for Hubby, who is the Branch Sunday School President and wanted a copy to bring to Branch Council so as to remove the Sister Missionaries, Senior Missionaries, and the Branch Missionary Leader and just last month the newly called T&FH Missionaries!! There was no room for the Senior Missionaries & the BML - but now add two more chairs for the T&FH Missionaries who are just as stout as Hubby [he weighs in at 425 lbs].
This room that they meet in is two joined very small rooms that barely seat the eleven required members. But now to add 7 more people! 

He told me that it has been over a year since any Branch business has been brought up. The entire time has been taken up with the Sister & Senior Missionaries re-caps of each and every tracking & lessons for the previous two weeks.

* Top Posters

Curelom
1381 Posts
Roper Roper
1153 Posts
dyany dyany
829 Posts
LMAshton LMAshton
683 Posts
N3uroTypical N3uroTypical
423 Posts

* Recent Posts