Welcome to New Nauvoo

Author Topic: cell phone help  (Read 134 times)

Palmon

• View Profile
cell phone help
« on: October 28, 2018, 11:43:48 pm »
We live in an area where cell phone reception is dismal and so we need to get a booster. Boosters all seem to be very expensive and with no understanding of how these things work - how do I get the best for the least amount of money? At&t used to sell home boosters, but apparently (according to them), the new cell phones do exactly what the booster did. Which does no good if the reception is faint. You know all the shows where the character is holding up their phone, chasing a signal - that's us in our house. And also our neighbors in theirs.
Does anyone have any expertise or just experience that could give us some direction into what to look for in these devices?   

dyany

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • My blog
Re: cell phone help
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2018, 12:04:21 am »
Most of the major carriers will be willing to give you a booster for free, especially if you already have a contract with them. Mostly because it's not legal for them to hold you in a contract if you can't get a signal in your residence,so they would much rather give you a free booster than lose your business.

Palmon

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2018, 11:17:22 am »
AT&T used to offer a microcell but no longer.  Your phone can be set up to do what the microcell did.
I found instructions to find your dB levels. Ours fluctuates between -119 and -130. That site said that -150 is a dead zone and -119 is a very weak signal.
We'll just have to organize a gang, in the deep of night, to go out and construct our own cell tower.

Iggy

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2018, 12:55:23 pm »
We'll just have to organize a gang, in the deep of night, to go out and construct our own cell tower.
By doing it deep in the day you would get more people watching and who you could recruit to help with the construction.  8)

In my neck of the woods, the only phones & their carrier that works every where BUT one place is AT&T. All of my neighbors, the nearest of which, live in aluminum siding trailer [just one trailer] & manufactured homes and use the other cell phone/carriers can't get signals inside their homes.

My AT&T phone & carrier works inside of their homes. Now the one dead spot is my dentist's office/Post Office/Computer shop/Fitness Gym. They are all attached in a small industrial mall. Behind them, all those business's I can use my phone inside or outside their doors. But at the street front business's even outside their doors -- that is a dead zone. Walk to the white line of the hwy [yes, it is a hwy] and the phone works!!!

Oh, our Dentist had to switch from one brand of land lines to AT&T to hear AND be heard on any of the extensions! Go figure. All of this happened about 4 years ago, and 6 years into his time there - after the landlord had a new roof put on. BUT to have NO SIGNAL outside of that building clear to the edge of the outer most boundary of the Hwy - - that is the odd part!

Same with me, 7 miles away. Only AT&T phones work inside our home. The batteries in our AT&T home base and 3 handsets of cordless home phones don't last more than 2.5 years. AND to get new batteries from either AT&T or Amazon costs the same as a new phone set. Just got a new one. Upgraded to the one where I have to make the answering greeting rather than a prerecorded voice. If we don't know the incoming number it goes to answering machine. I switched the number of rings before the Fax answers. IF I know the number and it is a telemarketer, I can tap a button on the All In One printer to have the fax answer before the answering machine. Bot's detest the fax screech!  ;D

The following users thanked this post: Palmon

Palmon

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2018, 08:31:02 pm »
Solved it by getting a landline through our internet/TV provider.

Iggy

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2018, 11:12:07 am »
Solved it by getting a landline through our internet/TV provider.

Is the cost of long distance the same as with your cell provider? We have a landline so we can have internet, but the long distant cost combined with the landline/internet is much more than our cell provider with unlimited long distance calls with-in the US including Hawaii.

dyany

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • My blog
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2018, 06:34:13 pm »
Another viable solution: many newer phones/services allow you to use WiFi for calls and texts if they can't get a decent cell signal.  You change a setting on the phone (where it is and if it's available depends on the phone), and if it can't get a good signal, it automatically switches to WiFi.  I have to use this all the time when I visit my brother in Draper because almost NO cell companies have decent signals at his house.  Works great and aside from changing the setting when I first got there, I never had to mess with it or change how I made calls or texts.

Palmon

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2018, 11:07:55 pm »
Iggy, the cost is more than we paid in the past for phone service - it's $40, with unlimited long distance - to include international. We like to use local companies when we can and this is one of those.

Dyany, yeah, we have always connected to the WiFi. It doesn't work much, either. I noticed in Costco that they are selling home boosters for WiFi. Seems like everyone I talk to these days struggles with reception. Okay, that is an exaggeration - not everyone but enough that Costco is heeding the complaints and doing what they can to make money while solving the problem.

* Top Posters

Curelom
1381 Posts
Roper Roper
1153 Posts
dyany dyany
829 Posts
LMAshton LMAshton
683 Posts
N3uroTypical N3uroTypical
423 Posts

* Recent Posts