Welcome to New Nauvoo

Author Topic: No more pageants?  (Read 870 times)

curlybat

• View Profile
Re: No more pageants?
« Reply #45 on: November 08, 2018, 10:45:11 am »
Maybe smaller local pageants will avoid attention of would be shooters/bombers.  We really don't know all that the prophet knows about the reasoning here.  Could be even he doesn't know the the full reason.  From as simple a reasoning as has been suggested here without divine direction to a uncertain reason of divine motivation.
Still TheOne and only me who happens to now be curlybat.

Nauvoodle since September 2001 (#431)

The following users thanked this post: dyany, Roper, Palmon

Jason

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: November 09, 2018, 02:59:56 am »
Intersting quote from his life. However it seems to discount his role as a doctor and surgeon and father and everything else he has done, in saying he came to Earth to do. I realize she is focusing on the role of the profit but what about all that stuff he did for the first 93 years and his other life roles?

Heart surgeons, especially old school heart surgeons, have a reputation of being the most dominating, my way or the highway, type of surgeons. It is a stereotype that is slowly dying out, as MDs become more team players. i have no idea specifically of how President Nelson acted in the hospital or operating room. But a cardiovascular surgeon has a lot of baggage to overcome.

cook

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: November 10, 2018, 02:59:37 am »
Was it in general conference where someone just shared something about this? That when he trained new doctors he was very unlike the other doctors, in a very positive way.

The following users thanked this post: Curelom

Roper

• Thousand Year Egg Club
  • Earning my spurs.
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: November 10, 2018, 07:07:46 am »
Q: What's the difference between a heart surgeon and God?
A: God doesn't think he's a heart surgeon.

Russel M. Nelson is not that. I remember being in seminary when he was called to the Q12.  Since that time, 33 years, I have listened to him speak in general conference.  I have never received the impression that he is a narcissist. Decisive? Absolutely. Sense of urgency? Undoubtedly. My impression is that everything he does is motivated by the desire to care for others, and to find the best way to do it.  That commitment to life-or-death care guided him as a surgeon and guides him as a prophet.

The following users thanked this post: curlybat, Curelom, libertygranny

Palmon

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: November 10, 2018, 11:14:56 am »
And his desire for obedience and to follow the Lord's anointed is demonstrated by the story of why he learned and became fluent in Chinese. How many others present followed that counsel of President Kimball's? 

https://www.lds.org/ensign/2018/05-se/president-russell-m-nelson-guided-prepared-committed?lang=eng

Dr. Nelsonís acceptance of that calling illustrates what Elder Jeffrey R. Holland of the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles recently called ďthe childlike humility and simplicity of Russell Nelsonís faith. Ö Heís that humble, heís that childlike, at every level and in virtually every other human relationship that Iíve seen him in.Ē13

The following users thanked this post: Curelom

dyany

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • My blog
« Reply #50 on: November 10, 2018, 03:46:36 pm »
Russel M. Nelson was my grandmother's heart surgeon, ages and ages ago.  She died in January of 1980.  Sometime around 1994-5, I met him when he came to speak to our single's ward in Boise.  He not only remembered my grandmother, but said she was a 'spitfire,' which was the kindest way I've heard of describing her personality, which most of us usually describe as 'ornery,' and maybe even 'cantankerous.' 

People who are full of themselves usually don't remember their clients, and if they do, they don't make efforts to remember them or talk about them fondly. 

I think it's easy to make generalizations of groups, but it is wrong to assume that someone you know from that group must meet those criteria.  I worked in a law firm for 10 years.  I believe that most attorneys are greedy, self-absorbed, haughty jerks.  But I don't assume someone is that way because they are an attorney, especially because I also have friends and relatives who are attorneys. 

The following users thanked this post: Iggy, Palmon

JLM

• View Profile
« Reply #51 on: November 10, 2018, 11:13:33 pm »
Dyany, what area law did they practice in that firm?

dyany

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • My blog
« Reply #52 on: November 11, 2018, 06:49:38 pm »
JLM: they were the biggest firm in the state (this is Idaho, though, so not THAT huge), so mostly corporate, estate, tax, intellectual property, tidbits of medical malpractice, divorces only for pre-existing clients, etc.  Zero criminal law and the only litigation was big corporate litigation (like Superfund sites and the like). 
As a rule, the estate lawyers tended to seem the most honorable, followed by tax lawyers. 

JLM

• View Profile
« Reply #53 on: November 12, 2018, 10:50:38 pm »
Big fish in tiny pond.  That does explain a few things.  Also fact that their primary practice area is litigation.  That area of law does tend to attract a-holes.  But it would be unfair to use such a broad brush.  From my experience, business culture tends to flow from the top down.  I bet the senior partners were selfish jerks, so those that reflected their behavior were those that thrived. 

dyany

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • My blog
« Reply #54 on: November 13, 2018, 05:46:52 pm »
Very little litigation.  Zero ambulance chasers.  I think you might have misunderstood me in an attempt to say, "that's those people, not most," but hoo boy the ambulance chasers and lots of the 'smaller' attorneys I've met were equally, if not more, nasty.

* Top Posters

Curelom
1381 Posts
Roper Roper
1153 Posts
dyany dyany
829 Posts
LMAshton LMAshton
683 Posts
N3uroTypical N3uroTypical
423 Posts

* Recent Posts