Welcome to New Nauvoo

Author Topic: Name of the Church  (Read 4217 times)

AndrewR

• View Profile
Re: Name of the Church
« Reply #45 on: March 14, 2019, 05:52:58 am »
The new domain appears to have been owned by the Church of Jesus Christ In Zion - a very small restored restoration church. Their founder (Ken Asay) was ordained by Joseph Smith prior to his death in 1985.

How much we paid for it would be interesting.
Don't ask me, I only live here.
Nauvoodle since March 2005 #1412

The following users thanked this post: cook

Taalcon

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: March 14, 2019, 09:37:48 am »
Reminds me of during the I'm A Mormon campaign where several of our church buildings had a Big Banner with the slogan, and we were instructed by SLC to place it right next to our prominent stone signs with 'The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints'. I thought it was a great idea to allow people to visually see the two together, and hit home that they were the same thing. I think as public awareness and clarification, it did an admirable job.

Jason

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: March 15, 2019, 01:14:26 am »
I am going to continue to type lds.org, and I bet it will continue to go to the church's website.

The following users thanked this post: AndrewR, Taalcon

Iggy

• View Profile
« Reply #48 on: March 15, 2019, 12:31:06 pm »
I am going to continue to type lds.org, and I bet it will continue to go to the church's website.
You haven't bookmarked it yet???

Jason

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: March 15, 2019, 06:43:05 pm »
You haven't bookmarked it yet???
Hitting an L with auto fill is faster than opening the bookmarks. And I do not like the "clutter" from more things on the top of my browser. But that is just a  personal preference.

Do any of you use the 2 step login for lds.org, wherein you get a text message or email with a code to use? This is mostly to protect my donations information.

The following users thanked this post: dyany

palmetto_gal

• Old forum #2268; registered 13 August 2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: March 15, 2019, 11:03:44 pm »
Do any of you use the 2 step login for lds.org, wherein you get a text message or email with a code to use? This is mostly to protect my donations information.

I don't use the two step authentication because I only use this one PC to generate the donation.  I feel it's adequately protected without the two step authentication.  I believe the only sites where I use the two-step authentication are the Social Security Website and the online tax preparation website I have chosen.  Am I being naive/uninformed/too trusting?

Iggy

• View Profile
« Reply #51 on: March 16, 2019, 05:05:38 am »
Thanks, Jason, I understand. I don't mind the Bookmark header getting too full, I detest all the garbage on my desktop. Hubby's is totally full, mine are only the ones that I really, truly need.

I am with palmetto_gal in that I do the same two-step protection.

dyany

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • My blog
« Reply #52 on: March 18, 2019, 04:27:02 pm »
pg: the number of computers you use to access the account is irrelevant when it comes to hack risk.  Anyone trying to hack your account can do it from anywhere.  Which is why I use 2 factor authentication on a TON of sites. 

That being said, I don't use it for LDS.org.  Yes, they could view my donation history.  And see that I don't even make enough to donate more than $1000/year for myself.  I'm not concerned about someone stealing my Gospel Library bookmarks and notes, most people who are super determined to misuse FamilySearch do it by other means, and my TR isn't currently active so they couldn't buy temple clothing through my account anyway.  The most risk I have is my bank info, but I can't even see my bank info from the site, so I'm not super concerned about the hack risk. 

So...personally, I don't worry about it on THIS site.  But thinking you are safe because you don't access the account from other devices is incorrect.

Jason

• View Profile
« Reply #53 on: March 20, 2019, 01:40:59 am »
I wouldn't worry that someone would see how much I donated, but rather that they would donate a large amount on my behalf to spite me.

The following users thanked this post: Jen

dyany

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • My blog
« Reply #54 on: March 20, 2019, 08:12:29 pm »
If someone donates on my behalf, even if they did it to spite me, I'd have a hard time being upset over it.  It wouldn't hurt me.  It wouldn't really help me (aside from giving me a bigger tax break).  The church would receive the money, and that's good, and God would know where it came from and why, and that's good, too.  If they were doing it out of spite, then it would count against them, not me.  So I would have a hard time getting upset over that.  But I suppose if I were in a position where I had people close to me doing things that made me think they would do such a thing, I might put extra security on to protect THEM. 

Taalcon

• View Profile
« Reply #55 on: August 17, 2019, 10:41:27 am »
This is actually a really interesting article.
https://www.deseret.com/2019/8/16/20807538/the-church-of-jesus-christ-of-latter-day-saints-mormon-lds-russell-m-nelson-full-name

I'll admit - its gaining far more traction than I thought it would. I still wish the harsh rhetoric wasn't originally used, and still think it was unnecessary.

I'm very interested in seeing what the additional initiatives Elder Ballard is referring to are.

Plus I'm still curious if at some point we're going to start seeing statues of the Savior on top of temples rather than Moroni.

Roper

• Thousand Year Egg Club
  • Earning my spurs.
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: August 17, 2019, 01:14:36 pm »
if they start replacing the statues, I want one of old Moroni statues for my house ;)

The following users thanked this post: palmetto_gal, Taalcon

Iggy

• View Profile
« Reply #57 on: August 17, 2019, 10:02:18 pm »
if they start replacing the statues, I want one of old Moroni statues for my house ;)

Yeah, I would like one for my front yard area.

* Top Posters

Curelom
1611 Posts
Roper Roper
1484 Posts
dyany dyany
943 Posts
LMAshton LMAshton
818 Posts
N3uroTypical N3uroTypical
618 Posts

* Recent Posts