Welcome to New Nauvoo

Author Topic: Name of the Church  (Read 1100 times)

Roper

• Thousand Year Egg Club
  • Earning my spurs.
    • View Profile
Name of the Church
« on: August 17, 2018, 10:37:19 pm »
From Deseret News:

SALT LAKE CITY — President Russell M. Nelson of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints announced Thursday that church leaders have launched a major effort to use the full name of the church instead of nicknames or abbreviations.

"The Lord has impressed upon my mind the importance of the name He has revealed for His Church, even The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints," President Nelson said in a statement. "We have work before us to bring ourselves in harmony with His will. In recent weeks, various Church leaders and departments have initiated the necessary steps to do so."

A style guide released by the church alongside the statement said, "Please avoid using the abbreviation 'LDS' or the nickname 'Mormon' as substitutes for the name of the Church, as in 'Mormon Church,' 'LDS Church,' or 'Church of the Latter-day Saints.'"

Full article: https://www.deseretnews.com/article/900028401/the-church-of-jesus-christ-of-latter-day-saints-issues-new-name-guidelines-dropping-term-mormon-in-most-uses.html

It will be interesting to see how this impacts LDS.org, LDS Family Services, The Mormon Tabernacle Choir, the "I'm a Mormon" social media campaign, etc.

cook

• View Profile
Re: Name of the Church
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2018, 01:02:38 am »
I get the point, but like you pointed out Roper, there are places/situation where the whole name is impractical. Like when you fill out any form that asks your religion and there is space only for the first word Myöhempien versus MAP -kirkko. So you either belong to "of latter" or this church.

The following users thanked this post: Roper

Taalcon

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2018, 07:31:21 am »
They've removed the acceptability of any single-term noun that also serves as an adjective, and asked media outlets to use a truth claim 'restored Church of Jesus Christ'. They also ask that the culture of the Church be referred to as part of the 'gospel'.

Good luck with that catching on.

Kind of a wierd move also for President Nelson to basically say the Church needs to repent for the massive I'm A Mormon campaign under Monson.

Also wierd in light of the scriptural reason for not calling the MP The Holy Priesthood After The Order of the Son of God, as now they're asking the media and members to use the Name of Deity a whole lot more.

All in all, it just seems a rather wierd thing to prioritize (again) at this time.

pnr

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2018, 01:06:25 pm »
My take on this is that it is part of Pres. Nelson's push to make Jesus Christ the part of everything that is remembered.  I don't see it as rebranding, but claiming divine relationship.
Nauvoo 1270, Feb 2005

The following users thanked this post: Jen, palmetto_gal, Iggy, Roper, Sparky, Palmon

AndrewR

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2018, 02:11:05 am »
President Nelson isn't making the changes. He says, ""The Lord has impressed upon my mind".

Don't ask me, I only live here.
Nauvoodle since March 2005 #1412

Taalcon

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2018, 09:44:18 am »
Do you believe one can take President Nelson at his word that he was inspired on the topic and also consider that the additional specific implementation/changes to the style guide shot out to the press may not have been divinely dictated?

« Last Edit: August 21, 2018, 09:52:29 am by Taalcon »

Roper

• Thousand Year Egg Club
  • Earning my spurs.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2018, 07:36:17 pm »
Indeed. I think that's how revelation works--we receive the principle and then we use our agency and capacities to put the principle into practice.  That pattern seems to be emphasized often in the Book of Mormon.  When I think about it, I don't believe I've received any revelation in my own life in which specific steps or actions were spelled out.  I'm not saying it isn't possible.  I just don't understand revelation working that way.

The following users thanked this post: palmetto_gal

Taalcon

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2018, 09:09:59 am »
I agree. I was asking because I don't agree with Andrew that "The Lord is Making The Changes". Although he may have called President Nelson's attention to the importance of the Church bearing His name, I think it's safe to say that President Nelson 'made the changes' he felt needed to be done to be in line with the impressions he received. President Nelson's statements actually don't go any farther than that.

In fact, going into greater detail, he acknowledges that all he knows is that his mind was called to the Doctrine and Covenants verse. The revelation consisted of making that verse stand out.
"And we don’t have all the answers. All we know is what the Lord has said,” he said, again reciting His directive in Doctrine and Covenants 115:4. “That’s enough for me,” President Nelson added.

I don't think it diminishes the importance of the revelation. Many revelations we have record of consist of former scripture making a strong impression, which leads to new questions, which leads to other stuff happening. The Lord Inspired a refocus. President Nelson, the Church Leadership, and those under their direction are 'making the changes' in striving to be in line with their understanding of the impression.

I don't think we do The Lord or President Nelson a service in a blanket statement saying every aspect of the process of working out how to best implement the instruction is directly God Doing It.

Ultimately - it comes down to: The Prophet has communicated that God wants us to take the Name of His Church seriously. He's doing what he feels he should do to be in line with that with the resources at his disposal. The ultimate question is, what can or should we as members do to make sure that we internalize that, and do our part? And I think we have a role in obtaining our own inspiration on that matter (And no, for us as individuals, that will NOT include policing other members' usage or application).
« Last Edit: August 22, 2018, 09:17:21 am by Taalcon »

The following users thanked this post: Iggy, Roper

pnr

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2018, 08:02:59 am »
“What I the Lord have spoken, I have spoken, and I excuse not myself; and though the heavens and the earth pass away, my word shall not pass away, but shall all be fulfilled whether by mine own voice or by the voice of my servants, it is the same.” (D&C 1:38)
Nauvoo 1270, Feb 2005

The following users thanked this post: Roper, Palmon

Taalcon

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2018, 10:24:52 am »
Pnr, can you share how your understanding of the significance of that verse contributes to this discussion?

I think we would all agree that if God gives a statement, it doesn't matter if it comes through a booming audible voice, the prompting of the spirit, or the mouth of the Prophet - it will be brought to pass. God's word remains the same, no matter the vehicle by which is was transmitted.

I don't think anyone here has even expressed doubt that President Nelson was truly expressing God's will when he said God wanted us to pay more attention to putting D&C 115:4 into practice. In President Nelson's words, "the importance of the name He has revealed for His Church". If anything, President Nelson was affirming that D&C 115:4 was accurately representing The Lord's Voice, and that message was still relevant, and perhaps had been neglected.

I HAVE expressed that it's weird in light of the very recent world-wide push for the I'm A Mormon campaign under President Monson's leadership, and I have expressed the difficulty of convincing the media to make a truth claim
 - 'the restored Church of Jesus Christ' - a standard way of referring to the Church. Those are both true statements, and don't feel they reflect on the authenticity of President Nelson's revelation.

Also, I HAVE expressed that I think there is a difference between the revealed nature of the instruction itself, and the way it may be implemented.

I do not think your verse supports the idea that any implementation or instruction that comes from the mouth or mind of the President of the Church is "the Same" as if it was from God. That's the reverse application and subject of the verse. The verse is making clear that God's stated will shall be accomplished, no matter how one learns of that will. Not that God will claim as equal and fulfill anything any of his servants have said.

JLM

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2018, 10:32:02 am »
In context of the preceding verses, this verse means that the prophesies and promises outlined in JSJ's revelations will either be fulfilled by direct acts of the Lord or through his servants, which include all who serve him.

Scriptures support the precept that the Spirit usually directs what needs to be done in general, but rarely instructs how.  Church presidents are learning on the job as much as everyone else.  And that's OK.

The following users thanked this post: curlybat, Roper, Taalcon

Palmon

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 07, 2018, 11:36:38 pm »
I can't wait to see how they manage to get the full name of the church onto a dog-tag. ;D

Jana at Jade House

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 08, 2018, 04:30:36 am »
Hmm  De Kerk van Jezus Christus van de Heiligen der Laatste Dagen is quite  a huge mouthful.  I sure hope there will be appropriate abbreviations when the dust settles.

The following users thanked this post: LMAshton, palmetto_gal, Roper

Jason

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 13, 2018, 11:56:52 pm »
I remember that this was done before, but had to look up when. It was just prior to the Salt Lake City Winter Olympics under President Hinckley. I made attempts to follow that request then. The lesson I take from this is that since the Lord repeats this request every so often, then it must have some importance. Perhaps the occasional reminders will help us focus on the importance of this particular name for the church institution as a whole, but the intervening years with emphasis on other portions (I am a Mormon, Mormon.org, etc) helps us remember the individual.

The following users thanked this post: curlybat

Taalcon

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 14, 2018, 11:22:19 am »
Relief efforts these next few weeks are gonna have a little awkward mixed messaging with all those yellow Mormon Helping Hands shirts.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2018, 11:25:40 am by Taalcon »

* Top Posters

Curelom
1381 Posts
Roper Roper
1153 Posts
dyany dyany
829 Posts
LMAshton LMAshton
683 Posts
N3uroTypical N3uroTypical
423 Posts