Welcome to New Nauvoo

Author Topic: We Find What We Seek  (Read 490 times)

Roper

• Thousand Year Egg Club
  • Earning my spurs.
    • View Profile
We Find What We Seek
« on: July 14, 2018, 06:26:15 pm »
My wife conducts a simple experiment with some of her clients in counseling.  She asks them to look around the room and find things that are red.  Then she asks, "What did you see that's green?" The point is this:  We find what we seek.  If we seek for negative aspects in a person or relationship, we will surely find them, and we'll use that evidence to support our judgement.  Consequently, we'll miss the positive things.

"If there is anything virtuous, lovely, or of good report, or praiseworthy, we seek after these things." Article of Faith 13. Italics added.

The following users thanked this post: Jen, Susan, Patty Rain

nitasmile

• View Profile
Re: We Find What We Seek
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2018, 02:45:31 am »
I've heard of something similar to this, good idea!

The following users thanked this post: Roper

palmetto_gal

• Old forum #2268; registered 13 August 2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2018, 02:58:30 pm »
This is so profound!  May I please share it on Facebook if I change the first sentence to begin:  "A mental health professional" rather than the term you used: "My wife" ?

Roper

• Thousand Year Egg Club
  • Earning my spurs.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2018, 04:18:37 pm »
No, P-Gal.  You have to say, "My wife..."   ;) Of course you can share it.  change it to whatever you think is appropriate.  thank you for asking.

The following users thanked this post: LMAshton, palmetto_gal, Susan

Curelom

• Thousand Year Egg Club
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2018, 07:46:51 pm »
We do often hear it said that people tend to find whatever they're looking for, & those who are always feeling picked on or cheated or victimized feel that way because they typically see the worst in other folks. They probably tend not to see the best in themselves as well.

In a similar vein, was it Abraham Lincoln who said that people are usually about as happy as they decide to be?

AndrewR

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2018, 04:31:54 am »
My stake president is a keen off road cyclist. He uses a similar thread of thought - "you go where you look". If you look at the large stone in your way, you will hit it. If you look at the edge you will come closer to it. You need to look for the safe route, and you will follow it.

Same in life.
Don't ask me, I only live here.
Nauvoodle since March 2005 #1412

The following users thanked this post: Iggy, Roper, Sparky

Nottoc

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2018, 10:19:05 pm »
One time I was the driver for the missionaries and we went to visit this lady. She was focused on getting answers to her questions that were derived from anti-Mormon documents. There came a moment when the missionaries were bearing testimony about the truthfulness of the Book of Mormon. I saw her physically move to embrace the documents.

At the time I was under the impression that members should let the missionaries do most of the talking those get together's. Now, I wish I had called her on it. I wish I had said something that ended with you aren't getting an answer because you have no hope that the Book of Mormon might be true. And so because she did not want see, did not even try to seek, she saw nothing.

The following users thanked this post: palmetto_gal, Roper

Roper

• Thousand Year Egg Club
  • Earning my spurs.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2018, 11:51:10 pm »
Thanks, Nottoc.

"We need to be cautious as we seek truth and choose sources for that search. ... Our personal decisions should be based on information from sources that are qualified on the subject and free from selfish motivations. ... When we seek the truth about religion, we should use spiritual methods appropriate for that search: prayer, the witness of the Holy Ghost, and study of the scriptures and the words of modern prophets." - Dallin H. Oaks, October 2018 General Conference

The following users thanked this post: palmetto_gal

Jana at Jade House

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2018, 02:40:40 pm »
I just finished viewing Saturday  sessions of the October Conference.  I had surmised from reaction to the conference that there was some negative reaction in the ranks to some of what the speakers counseled.  So I was aware of sensitive issues and topics being spoken. 
But my experience was that this prophet and his counselors are going forward in faith and in uncharted waters.  I saw men who are attempting to lead us into more mindfulness of the name of Jesus Christ and our covenants, and who we serve really as we minister.  Humbly I admit my viewpoint needed altering. 
As I sit here isolated in my faith, I know I must make personal alterations to keep some counsel, but keep the spirit of the counsel intact.  I know I need to be really mindful of ministering to those who come to church to be with folk.  I have begun a BOM reading group for people who want to follow the counsel but need support. 
The point is that the squeaking wheel folk who see the downside in everything almost derailed the personal realizations I have had, and hope to continue having as I view the Sunday sessions. 
I am really glad we have good church leaders.

The following users thanked this post: palmetto_gal, Iggy, Roper, Palmon

Patty Rain

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2018, 10:47:01 pm »
I also find that often we see in others what we are.  Often I find that people who are very critical of others happen to be critical of certain things about that person that they are themselves and if they are complementary of a person then they tend to have those same qualities. 

Realistically we can look at people and think "they tend to run late" or "he is a little gruff with his kids" and that may not be true of you, but when the observation of something negative turns into being critical that is when I see the same flaws in the person observing as they see in the person being observed. 

It has made me start to stop and look at myself when I find I am being critical. 
Time for a change.  I am yungmom, but have wanted a new username for some time.

The following users thanked this post: Roper, Palmon

* Top Posters

Curelom
1381 Posts
Roper Roper
1153 Posts
dyany dyany
829 Posts
LMAshton LMAshton
683 Posts
N3uroTypical N3uroTypical
423 Posts