Welcome to New Nauvoo

Author Topic: The Basic Doctrines  (Read 309 times)

AndrewR

• View Profile
The Basic Doctrines
« on: June 25, 2018, 01:19:03 pm »
Those of you who have had anything to do with the Youth Sunday School and Young Women and Aaronic Priesthood lesson outline in Come, Follow Me will know that the first nine months take what Seminaries and Institute have used as Basic Doctrines for the theme each month. For those unfamiliar I will list them.
  • The Godhead
  • The Plan of Salvation
  • The Atonement
  • (Dispensations) Apostasy and Restoration
  • Prophets and Revelation
  • Priesthood and Priesthood Keys
  • Ordinances and Covenants
  • Marriage and Family
  • Commandments

In my role as Stake Sunday School president I have been teaching the youth class at unit conferences. I have so far done three units. In each I have started with the question "What is the purpose of the Come, Follow Me programme?"

Many youth, even in their fourth and fifth years of this programme do not understand that gaining and grasp of these doctrines, and securing their testimonies thereof, is why they have this programme.

We have then gone through the list and each youth, in turn, has given something they know about, or believe, or have a testimony of, related to the basic doctrine. This part has been wonderful as simple understanding of the Plan of Salvation, God's love for us, the blessings we have been given, have been shared by youth from 12 to 17.

However, given the discussions that we have had both here, and in the place we were before, have shown that at least for some there is nothing basic about many of these "Basic Doctrines".

Are there any missing?
Should any not be on the list at all?
Which do we think might contain things that could change?

Are our youth best served by this approach?
Don't ask me, I only live here.
Nauvoodle since March 2005 #1412

cook

• View Profile
Re: The Basic Doctrines
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2018, 03:40:16 pm »
I understand the reason behind this - it is important for the youth to understand the basics. But I don't know if going through them again and again is beneficial. In seminary, I felt these lessons were the hardest. It's great to point out these doctrines while we study the scriptures. But to have a lesson solely on these (again...), I don't know.

And the truth is, if they are not interested, if they are not in tune, they will not learn them this way. The blank stare from the fourth year seminary student who doesn't have a clue, is rather depressing. But the look of "we've been over this so many times, could we just learn something new" from the others isn't that much better.

So, yes, these things need to be learned. Personally, I'm not sure this is the best approach.

Something I like to emphasize is "your part in the plan" - encouraging action.

pnr

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2018, 08:10:19 pm »
Elder Renlund(?) taught a wonderful and important way to approach the plan that would change a lot from the we already know that at last week's seminary and institute training.  It is online and worth the listen.
Nauvoo 1270, Feb 2005

AndrewR

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2018, 12:06:42 pm »
Thanks PNR, I will give it my attention when I have finished work, done the EQ service project and had something to eat.

In the meantime, I just want to check, you meant this: - https://www.lds.org/broadcasts/article/satellite-training-broadcast/2018/06/doubt-not-but-be-believing?lang=eng

pnr

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2018, 04:26:02 pm »
That isn't the one that taught about how to teach "the plan".  It must have been the one right before it.  I looked at it on the seminary and institute page and the video covered all the talks.
Nauvoo 1270, Feb 2005

AndrewR

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2018, 08:46:30 pm »
OK - it was Elder Clark's talk.

Roper

• Thousand Year Egg Club
  • Earning my spurs.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2018, 10:10:19 pm »

Are there any missing?
Should any not be on the list at all?
Which do we think might contain things that could change?

Are our youth best served by this approach?

The other three in Come Follow Me: Becoming More Christlike, Spiritual and Temporal Self Reliance, Building the Kingdom of God.

These last three are actions based on the previous core doctrines.  I think they still need to be emphasized and taught as much as the first nine.  I would shift the emphasis slightly from "becoming more Christlike" to "becoming a disciple of Christ."

Alternately, one could use the Articles of Faith.  They provide a good outline of our core doctrines.

One could also choose to focus on preparing to make and keep covenants as a framework for understanding the core doctrines of the restored Gospel.

My own opinion is that we spend too much time in class learning about the Gospel. Jesus taught, "If any man will do his will, he shall know of the doctrine..." (John 7:17. I think we should be working with our youth more to DO the will of God and less studying in a classroom.  If it was up to me to determine church policy regarding the Sabbath, we would have Sacrament meeting, and then we would go out into the community and follow the teachings in James 1: "But be ye doers of the word, and not hearers only ... Pure religion and undefiled before God and the Father is this, To visit the fatherless and widows in their affliction, and to keep himself unspotted from the world."  In other words--more ministering and less class time.  It's probably a good thing I don't get to make those kinds of decisions ;)
« Last Edit: June 26, 2018, 10:12:00 pm by Roper »

The following users thanked this post: Iggy, Sparky, libertygranny

* Top Posters

Curelom
1381 Posts
Roper Roper
1153 Posts
dyany dyany
829 Posts
LMAshton LMAshton
683 Posts
N3uroTypical N3uroTypical